Chapter 2 - Min Zhu's perspective

My Flaming Princess

Chapter 2 --- Min Zhu’s POV

(Author’s Note: She’s too cool to own a diary.)

I watched the rehearsal carefully, eyeing the background setting. There’s a mistake I made on the painted wall, but I’ll just fix that later. (: I’m replacing my mother in one of her part time jobs as part of paint and construction for a recent play coming up.

I sometimes help my mother this way - replacing her when she gets the rare chance to meet her boyfriend. They’ve been dating for a year already, and I really didn’t believe Uncle Choi(that’s what I like to call him)could be really clumsy the 1st time he met my mother. Until I met him 6 months ago when he visited us in Taiwan again. Boy, is he a funny guy! Nice, too. (: He makes my mother happy - I’ve never seen her this happy since before Daddy died.

My father died in my arms when I was 10 years old. We were just hanging out on the streets, walking back to mom at our house from grocery shopping. So suddenly, my Daddy and I glanced at an innocent girl nearly getting attacked by a big scary man. Ironically, before we saw that, my Daddy was talking to me about, “Always protect the innocent - no matter what. Justice should always be served, and you must never throw away your pride unless you need a shoulder to cry on. Okay?” I nodded.

Before I knew it, I watched my father cross the street and protected the girl from the big scary man. Daddy wrestled the gun with him until he threw the bad man’s gun towards where I am; on the ground. The girl could only run to my direction and cry, with me trying to comfort her. The bad man pulled out a pocketknife and quickly stabbed Daddy in the stomach several times. I gasped in horror - and something just came over me. Pushing the girl away from me, I bent down to pick up the gun. I ran across the street to Daddy’s body.

Something in me boiled as I watched the guy about to cross the street to the girl. She screamed in horror. I glanced at my Daddy.

“Tell your mother that I love her… and you, especially, Minnie….” Those were his last words. That was the last time I ever cried in my life.

Right before the bad man could even reach the girl, I felt numb and aimed the gun at his head. BAM! The girl looked at me in fright, and yet there was admiration in her eyes.

And that’s when and how the Lucifer was born.

Ever since then, even my mother doesn’t know this, my late night study sessions at friends’ houses are actually when I change my personality. By day, I’m a loner yet a quiet honorary good student towards adults. By night, I fight on the streets and protect the students anonymously - especially the innocent. Students call me the Lucifer, and I became a legendary gossip at school. Adults are baffled as to who is the Lucifer.

Mom came home the next day. I was cooking breakfast for her. As soon as she waltzed into the house, I glanced at the wall clock. 8a.m. on a Saturday. (: I don’t have school, so I woke up extra early just to cook for my mother.

She literally waltzed into the kitchen. I laughed at her silliness and finished cooking. I served sunny-side up eggs and bacon on a platter and placed it in front of her on the table as she sat down on a chair.

Mom munched happily on her breakfast and gave me thumbs up. I smiled and made myself breakfast. I sat across from her on the table and started eating.

“So guess what?” She asked me after scarfing into her meal. “What?” I asked back, still chewing my food.

“I’m getting married!” I choked hard on my food right after she shouted her news.

“WHAT!”I exclaimed at my mother.

She simply smiled like a child who just reached Candyland.

“There’s more!” she continued joyfully. My eyes widened to dismay as I drank a glass of milk. I spat it back out when she said this:

“We’re moving to Korea after the wedding here! It’s in January, and obviously you’re my Maid of Honor! Jeong Hoon promised me that we both will never have to work tons of part time jobs ever again! Isn’t that exciting?” I bet right now my mom is dreaming of cooking for my new father.

Actually, I’m glad they’re getting married and that my mother could finally relax, but moving to Korea?! What about my studies? My, erm, I don’t have friends, but yet admirers… what about the Lucifer? huh.gif