The First Competition

Heartbreaker or Matchmaker?

It was finally Sunday. Everyone slowly arrived at the address Key had given them. When Min Hyo walked into the club with her friends all the lights were lit and people were running back and forth to have things set up in time for the events for that evening. Kai's cousins greeted the kids and showed them around. After most of the club was ready, Taemin and Minho took Chanyeol, Kris, and Kai to the lounges to prepare for the competitions, leaving Tao, Amber, and Min Hyo in the front of the club.

"Our Tao isn't competing today?" Jonghyun asked in astonishment.

"Not today. I didn't have enough time to practice, but next time I will," Tao answered with a sincere grin.

"I suggest you all stick with us," Onew advised them, "we always stand in the front, you'll get to see everything! Oh, and since you're all underage, no drinking." He eyed them as if he was their father for a moment before Key scoffed at him.

"None of you have seen me at work have you?" Key smirked. "Don't be too amazed. I'm always this cool."

"And by cool, he really means cocky," Jonghyun chuckled.

As they continued to chat, people started piling in and buying drinks. Key had some music to get the crowd moving as preparations were almost complete. When it was time to begin, he waved at Onew and Jonghyun to bring the kids in place.

"Alright alright, how's everyone doing?" Key cheered, earning loud shouts from the crowd. "Are you all ready for what's coming up next?" Another round of shouts and cheers rose from the spectators. "That's good! First, we'll have the dance offs and then we'll finish off with the rap battles, so everyone grab a spot by the floor!"

Onew was standing beside Min Hyo as Amber stood between Tao and Jonghyun in front of the dance floor. The music started pounding through the speakers as two boys walked through the crowd and in the center of the floor.

"First dance off is..." Key smiled at his friends, "Cheodoong versus Seungho. Let's get this started!"

The music started to play and they were off. Everyone was cheering, some whistling loudly from the back of the club, trying to encourage the boys. The energy in the room was contagious and it was obvious that the dancers were feeding off of it. Their moves were high energy and skilled. Neither of them seemed at all nervous or doubtful as they smoothly showed off their steps. In the end, Seungho's back flip won the crowd over. After a while, it was time for groups. From the back of the club, Kai walked onto the floor with his brother proudly beside him. He had a completely different presence on stage. His sneaky and boyish charm was replaced by a steady gaze and unchanging expression.

"Today we have a new pairing to show off. Everyone give it up for Taemin and his little brother Kai!" As soon as Key finished talking, there came loud screaming from the audience, particularly from the girls. Everyone already knew who Taemin was. It was Kai that was grabbing their attention. "And they're up against none other than Hyunseung and Kikwang! Everybody give it up!"

The crowd watched carefully as the boys took their places and waited for the music. Once it started, it looked like they forgot where they were. They were entirely engrossed in the music and their movements as if no one else was in the club with them. Then it was the challengers' turn. Min Hyo watched feeling amazed that people were able to move in such ways. She observed the thinner boy's fluid movements contrasting his partner's rigid ones, but they were always in sync with each other's steps and never missed a beat. Once the dancing was over, the audience roared. It was obvious who had won. Kai and Taemin joined the others in the front row with little enthusiasm.

"Cheer up kid," Onew said as he handed Kai a bottle of water, "it was your first time, you can't expect to instantly win."

There was a short break before the rap battles begun. Chanyeol, Kris and Minho found their group as Key let the music boom idly. The older boys gave their juniors some words of encouragement and downed a shot. When it was time, they took their spot by the dance floor and waited for Key to start the battles.

"The night's not over yet," Key grabbed the audience's attention, "is everyone ready for some rap battles?" He pointed the microphone towards the crowd and cupped his ear. "Let's get this thing going. First up, we have Bang Yong Guk against Mir!"

The crowd seemed to be mesmerized by the battles. As each rapper showed off their own skills and styles, Min Hyo and Amber noticed Tao paying more attention to the rappers than he had to the dancers. They laughed to each other, making Tao look back at them innocently confused. Then, it was Minho's turn. His opponent was a boy from the winning dancers' group who was named Junhyung. Onew, Jonghyun, Taemin and Kai roared as loud as they could for their cousin. Rap after rap, the crowd cheered sending the winner to the next battle. Finally, Kris stepped up with confidence. His opponent was Bang Yong Guk, who seemed to be the favorite tonight. After them came Chanyeol against a boy named Dongwoo. The way Chanyeol's voice boomed startled the crowd at first, but they soon began to cheer wildly for him.

"Alright, this is the last battle for tonight," Key stopped the music for a moment as Chanyeol stood by his opponent, Bang Yong Guk, "are you all ready?" The clubbers roared their approval. "Then, rappers, give it all you got!"

As the music started spinning, Chanyeol looked towards his friends nervously. Min Hyo gave him the thumbs up as the boys chanted his name. A wide smile spread on his face and he turned to face his opponent, who had already begun rapping. When it was his turn, he found a really good flow and threw in some speed raps hoping it would impress everyone. It seemed to work for a while. Then, it was time to choose the winner. Key called their names and everyone rooted for their bias.

"Awww what?" Kai stomped his foot, "no way, Chanyeol hyung deserved to win!"

"To be completely honest, sometimes the crowd chooses a favorite and sticks to them for a while," Key admitted, "and lately, this Bang guy has been winning a lot."

"Yea, but don't worry about it," Minho smiled, "it looks like Chanyeol here is catching up fast."

Minho nudged Chanyeol towards the bar where a group of girls kept glancing over at him. Chanyeol chuckled and rubbed the back of his head, turning away from the girls and friendly nudging Minho back.

"Kris and Kai seem to be doing well with everyone too," Jonghyun chimed in, pointing at other girls who were checking them out.

"Anyway," Onew rolled his eyes, "I'm sure with more practice and some more competitions the crowd will grow accustomed to you all, and pretty soon you'll be the favorite. Tonight was just your first night, don't think about it too much." He patted Kai and Chanyeol on the back. "You actually did pretty good for beginners."

Amber walked off with her brother, Taemin and Kai who were already planning for the next dance off. Onew was busy yelling at Jonghyun who kept trying to sneak drinks to the Chanyeol and Kris. Key was back at his DJ stand getting into the music. They all dispersed around the club enjoying themselves before it was time to go home.

"So what do you think? Pretty cool, right?" Chanyeol grinned at Min Hyo. "Your best friend up against the club's favorite, aren't you proud?"

Before she could answer, he bear hugged her tightly and swung her off the ground. She playfully hit his shoulders as a sign to put her down. "Weren't you nervous?"

"Kind of, but it's one of those things you just have to jump into," he smiled even wider at her, "don't worry about it. It's fun."

She didn't argue with him, not wanting to ruin his obvious happiness. Instead, she smiled in return and looked at the rest of their group. Tonight seemed to be big for them. It was something they all loved and probably wanted to do again. It was nice to see them have so much fun, since lately they had all been worried over her, especially her best friend. She was hoping she could see him enjoy himself more often; she knew she owed him that much after coming into his life and causing nothing, but trouble. Her thoughts were interrupted by Onew as he stood in front of her with a sincere grin.

"Don't you wanna dance?" he asked her and held out his right hand.

She laughed and took his hand. They moved through the pounding bodies on the dance floor and danced to a new song Key started to play. She hadn't ever danced with any of Kai's cousins before and it felt a little awkward at first, but she quickly grew comfortable, swaying her hips with his as he held onto her waist. She was having so much fun that she didn't notice a boy eyeing her from the corner of the bar. He walked towards her, ready to cut in, but was stopped as he heard his name being called from behind him. His eyes darted around looking for someone to recognize.

"Hey, I've been looking all over for you," Kai huffed, "Key wants to see you."

The boy nodded and thanked his friend as he turned to the DJ stand where Key held a serious expression. Did he see me? he thought, feeling his heart drop. Maybe he won't tell anyone.


Mwahahaha, cliffhanger. Who is this mysterious boy?!?!?!?!

Sorry, I'm late in updating, I have a really nosey family and I don't like them watching what I'm doing X_x and they always want to watch me when I'm on the computer XP Anyway, how did everyone like the competitions? I went all over the kpop world: BAP, BEAST, INFINITE, MBLAQ :3 Hope you all loved it, it was interesting to write ^-^