Painful Memories

Heartbreaker or Matchmaker?

The following day was a bit quieter. At lunch they held a study group, knowing that their plans wouldn't allow them to have time to do homework at home. After they were done they put all their focus on their talents. Kai was working on intricate choreography with Tao and Amber while Kris and Chanyeol were sitting together with a piece of paper ready to work on some raps. Min Hyo, however, continued to work on her assignments, but when the rapping got louder she decided to take a break.

"You know, you can work on it all you want, but your group doesn't have a name yet," she reminded them.

Tao gasped, "She's right!"

"We don't have to make one up now. We still have time," Amber told her friend and calmed her brother.

"What do you mean 'your' group?" Kai looked up slyly. "You're in the group too, remember?"

"Nice try, but no. I'm not." Min Hyo smiled outwardly, but his devious grin was giving her chills.

"Guys, there's no use convincing her," Chanyeol peeked over Kris to look at them, "when the day of the show comes, she won't have a choice."

"Yah!"

Min Hyo grabbed a board eraser and threw it towards her roommate. He hid behind Kris who ducked.

"Hey, I'm innocent here. Take him!" Kris stood up and pushed Chanyeol, still in his chair, closer to her.

She took a couple big steps across the room to finish him off, but was blocked by Tao. Not wanting to scare the poor boy, she tried to calm herself down, only to have Kai interrupt her.

"Well, Min Hyo noona, your name is on the sign up sheet, so Chanyeol hyung is right. You have no choice as long as your name is on it."

He looked up at her from under his lashes with a crooked grin. Everyone's head turned to her. She looked as though she'd just been knocked over by Kai's words. I have to get my name off that sign up sheet, she told herself. A sudden burst of determination grew in her as she marched towards the door. She was just about to leave the room when Kai dragged her back in and stood in the doorway.

"Move out of the way or else," she threatened.

"Or else what?" He dared her with no hint of fear in his voice or in his eyes.

Min Hyo lunged at him ready to do anything to get out of this mess. Tao, only inches away, pushed Kai against the blackboard as Amber caught Min Hyo's waist and held her away from them. By now, Kris had had enough. He didn't want anyone to get hurt or angry at such a silly thing. They wanted to be in the show for fun, but Kai was taking things too far. What's gotten into that kid? he wondered as he stood between them.

Out of nowhere, a loud humming sound filled the back of the room. Chanyeol turned towards the lockers and saw a light shining from inside Min Hyo's backpack.

"Min Hyo! Your phone!" He shouted above everyone else's noise.

His voice, being as deep as it was, startled them into silence. Min Hyo walked over to her locker. As she opened her bag she wondered who would call her during school hours. On the screen was a number she hadn't saved onto her contact list, but she already knew who it was. Her startled expression changed to one of dread. Chanyeol took notice of his best friend's mood and walked up behind her. After he saw the number something clicked in his mind. He snatched the phone away.

"Channie, I need to answer it. Give it back," she insisted trying to keep herself from tearing up.

"No, you don't." His words had come out gently, but he could feel anger rising in his chest.

"What's wrong? Who is it?" A concerned Amber appeared beside Min Hyo.

The humming stopped. Min Hyo looked at the device in disbelief. She knew they would call back. They never gave up. Why won't they just leave me alone? she thought feeling frustrated. She reached for the phone, but Chanyeol held it up above his head.

"Don't call back," he said letting his anger ooze into to his voice.

"You guys, who was it?" Amber pulled Min Hyo's arm so that they were facing each other. She eyed both her friends until Chanyeol answered.

"Her parents."

He didn't even try to hide the fact that he felt disgusted. Amber softly took Min Hyo's arm and led her to a chair nearby. Taking the seat next to her, she rubbed her hand in circles on her friend's back. After a moment, everyone gathered around them to make sure Min Hyo was alright. Chanyeol walked up to her and hugged her from behind.

"You know what would've happened if you picked up," he assured her, "you did the right thing. " He was hoping his words were getting through to her. He sincerely meant them. "Min Hyo, you did the right thing," he repeated, "please, you can't go back."

She looked up at him, her eyes glazed over. It scared him to see her like this. Every time her parents called she would look empty and turn quiet. It used to take her days to break out of her shell. She had come to him feeling lost and whenever something reminded her of her past she would feel a small pang in her chest and confusion would drown over her. Though she never admitted it, he knew she considered going back several times.

"You're not actually thinking about going back, are you?" Kris asked, stunned.

"I..." Min Hyo didn't want to tell them what she was thinking, knowing they would disagree.

Chanyeol tightened his arms around her. "No! You can't!" He flipped the chair around so that she was facing him. "If you go back, no one can protect you. None of us will be there. I can't go back until I have enough money for my family-"

"I never said you should go back," she told him.

"Noona, you can't go. Especially not alone," Tao walked up to her and kneeled in front of her. "Please? Promise?"

She didn't want to make a promise she couldn't keep, but the look on Tao's face was bringing her tears out. Not wanting anyone to see, she tried to hold them back. She felt lucky to have friends like them. A second later, the bell rang causing the students to crowd into the room. Min Hyo gave her friends a small smile before taking her seat.

After school was over everyone rushed off the campus. Chanyeol climbed onto his bike with Min Hyo holding on from behind as they drove to work. When they stopped in front of her store he climbed off, surprising her and pulled her close in a tight hug.

"Forget about what happened," he urged her. He felt her nod  against his shoulder and let her go.

"Channie...thanks." She looked at her feet. "Without you...I don't know where I'd be."

He stood still letting his eyes take in her suddenly fragile appearance as she bowed and walked away. He put his helmet back on and drove off hoping she had made the right decision. From the back of his mind, a thought crawled to him. What if I wake up one day, but she's gone and a call comes saying she was found dead? His eyes became moist. Memories of their childhood echoed in him. He remembered when they first met, how scared she was of others, especially him. Then, he remembered the first time he noticed one of her bruises. She had been so frightened when she tried to lie. After hearing the yelling coming from her home, he grew scared for her. His family tried to get her out of her house as much as possible, but she had to go home eventually. He remembered crying when his parents told him there wasn't much else they could do. He really thought her parents would kill her. Now, he had the chance to protect her in ways his family never could and he wasn't about to let her go back.


A little intense