Preparing

Heartbreaker or Matchmaker?

It was early Saturday morning and school was still in session. Min Hyo did her best to stay awake in class, but she still couldn't help yawning every now and then. She turned her attention to the window, spotting Kai and Tao having fun playing sports with their class. Looking back at the board she caught a glimpse of Chanyeol huddled over his desk, writing furiously. His seat mate, Baekhyun, would glance over to his side and nudge him to pay attention throughout the class.

"Hyohyo are you ready to go?" He bounced towards her after class.

"Yeah, but we have to hurry. I have work today," she replied, stuffing things frantically into her backpack.

They walked out of the building and hopped onto the motorcycle, speeding past the students that had began their walk home. The streets were quite busy, forcing Chanyeol to weave in and out of traffic. Whenever he would swerve in between cars there would be loud honks that followed.

Finally, they reached their apartment building safely. Min Hyo ran up the stairs, making sure to skip a couple, and left the door wide open. She dumped her school things beside her bed and searched her closet for something to wear. As she changed into a red button up shirt and denim skirt Chanyeol walked out of his room and into the kitchen.

"We have five minutes before we gotta go, so eat something," he called to her.

Min Hyo stepped into the kitchen, still braiding her hair, and noticed her best friend standing in front of their refrigerator, shirtless.

"Uh...forget something?" She held back a laugh and ducked under his arm to grab some leftovers in the fridge.

He faced her with an innocent expression and patted his belly with both of his hands. He grabbed a pair of chopsticks from utensil drawr and started to eat from the leftovers she had placed on the counter.

"Don't you think we should use plates?" He ignored her question and chuckled.

"Nope," came her answer while trying to stuff a chunk of chicken into her cheek.

After they were done, he ran into his room and grabbed an old brown shirt before leaving their apartment. The traffic was a bit calmer, so they arrived at the store a bit early. When Min Hyo arrived she helped some ladies find their way through the lingerie and assisted a little boy in finding a special birthday present for his mother. All seemed to be going well until a loud woman started to yell at one of the girls working at the checkout counter. Min Hyo was asked to find the manager who would hopefully calm the woman down.

"Are you okay?" She comforted her coworker.

"Yes, just a bit tired," the girl sighed, "I can't wait til I get out of here."

"Awww poor noona. At least the day is almost over," Min Hyo smiled wide.

"I mean leave the store. I got accepted to Seoul-dae so I never have to work retail again," the girl smiled, dreamily staring off into the distance.

"Waaa, you're going to be a doctor? Congratulations!" Min Hyo congratulated.

Other employees came to give their congratulations to the girl as they cleaned up and prepared to close the store for the night. Min Hyo waved goodbye when here coworkers left and stood on the sidewalk waiting to be picked up. A couple lonely minutes later, she was riding back home with Chanyeol.

They changed into more comfortable clothes and started dinner. Chanyeol chopped the vegetables while Min Hyo prepped the beef and noodles.

"Yah, I'm starving. How much longer do we have to wait?" He huffed, trying to sneak away some noodles.

"It's almost done."

She smacked his hand away, but snuck a noodle for herself when his back was turned to set the table. She couldn't help, but giggle at her craftiness.

"What's so funny?" Chanyeol asked looking over her shoulder. Before Min Hyo could respond, he grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her. "You ate one didn't you?! I'm starving and you're pigging out!"

"I was just checking if there's enough soy sauce," she defended herself.

"Then I get to check too." He said "ahhh" and waited.

"Too late, the japchae is ready!"

She set the table letting him bring over the food. They settled down, ate and talked about their day. Before going to bed, Min Hyo sat in the sofa to enjoy some television. She noticed her friend still at the dinner table and wondered if he'd fallen asleep. It turned out that he was writing in a new notebook she'd never seen before.

"What are you working on?"

"Raps for the rap battles tomorrow," he mumbled.

Tomorrow? she thought. Key oppa told us on Thursday that it was in three days, so Sunday, and tomorrow is... Her nerves grew tense as she landed on a conclusion.

"I'm not going," she said.

Chanyeol suddenly looked up at her. "Aniyo, you have to be there. Don't you want to see your best friend rap? And Kris hyung and Minho hyung too? Then Taemin and Kai are going to be in the dance battles. It'll be fun, come on," he looked at her with big puppy dog eyes, "Key hyung went through a lot of trouble to let us get in."

"Fine, but I'm not going onstage," she sternly told him.

"Deal." He smiled and returned to his paper. "Now I forgot what I was going to write."

Feeling a bit guilty, Min Hyo read what he had so far and tried to help. "What about ' you could run, you could hide, but'...but..."

"That's good. You could run, you could hide, but..." He felt just as stumped as his friend.

"Oh. I got it," she grabbed his paper and wrote something down before handing it over to him.

"'You could run, you could hide, but chasing you only makes me stronger.' I like it!" He stood up and squished her in a tight hug. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"Your welcome," she choked, "now please put me down."

He let her go and smiled his big dorky grin. Shaking her head, she walked over to the sofa and watched old reruns listening to him rapping out loud. Inside, she felt really excited to see her friends perform on stage. She'd also never seen her oppas perform, so she couldn't wait.


Woot!! The next update is going to be filled with rap battles and dance offs!! Can't wait! Aren't you all excited?

I know this chapter is a little boring, but I needed to mellow down the drama from the parents' call in the last chapter. But enjoy anyway xD Thank you for reading!! And oh, if you want the Japchae recipe google Maangchi, she's amazing and it tastes delicious ;)