Best of Friends

Heartbreaker or Matchmaker?

The curtains in Min Hyo's room were closed, but beams of sunlight peeked in. She felt someone shaking her arm gently while calling her name. Realizing it was a school day, she groaned and tried to go back to sleep.

"Min Hyo-ah. Min Hyo-ah wake up," Chanyeol tried to whisper with his deep voice. When all she did was roll over he climbed into the bed wrapping his arms around her. At first she didn't notice, but then he started tickling her and laughed as she squirmed from his touch. Trying to stop his attack, she backed up into his chest. "Yah, if you wake up I'll stop."

She turned to lay on her back and looked up at him in defeat. He stopped tickling his friend and slowly moved his arms away.

"Get dressed fast, we can't be late," he stepped out of the room and closed the door behind him.

It's been two years since she moved in with Chanyeol. She remembered that day so vividly. It was cloudy when she had come off the train. All her things were stuffed in a backpack and a duffel bag. On the piece of paper she clutched onto was an address belonging to the only person she knew in Seoul. When she finally found the apartment she'd knocked and to her surprise Chanyeol wasn't the boy who'd opened the door. The boy was taller than her best friend and had a stare that startled her.

"May I help you?" He noticed her bags and furrowed his brows.

"Ummm," Min Hyo bit her lip thinking it was the wrong house until she heard someone speaking behind him.

"Kris, who is it?" Chanyeol walked towards his friend and she'd peeked into the room to get a better look at him. "Min Hyo?"

She smiled nervously as the boy by the door, Kris, let her in. Chanyeol hugged her. When his hands brushed against her backpack he'd taken a step back.

"What's all this?"

As she sat down Min Hyo explained how she had run away from home and the only person she thought she could turn to was him. Surprised, but knowing he couldn't let her wander around on the streets, he accepted his best friend into the home graciously.

Ever since then she became good friends with Kris as well as Chanyeol's other friends and even made a new friend all on her own, Amber, who was like the mother she wished she'd had.

"Breakfast is ready!" Chanyeol shouted from the other side of the bathroom door. "If you take too long I'll eat it all up!"

Before Min Hyo could retort her stomach gave a deep, long growl. She blushed while zipping up her black skirt, putting on a white button up shirt with a black jacket over it. As she stepped out of the bathroom in her uniform he stood with his arms crossed and a big grin.

"I could hear your stomach from here," he laughed.

"I thought you said you didn't want to be late today?" She glanced at the clock. "It's 7:30 already."

A look of shock spread over his face and he bolted towards the kitchen. She shook her head while she followed after him. In the kitchen Chanyeol was devouring his food.

"Careful you might-" She was interrupted by the sound of him choking. Running behind him, she patted his back. After he cleared his throat he looked up sheepishly.

"Thanks."

She rolled her eyes and ate as quickly and as carefully as possible. When she was done, she left the plates in the sink and went to grab a black backpack, blue scarf, and black motorcycle jacket. By the door Chanyeol handed her a helmet and they made their way to the parking lot.

On the way to school she held onto his waist to keep from falling. As they slowed down by the school grounds people began to stare. Getting off the bike Min Hyo scanned the area and saw a familiar face walking out of a van.

"Channie, Kai's here." Handing the helmet to him she ran up to the van, stopping beside Kai, and bowed.

"Annyeong. Nice to see you all again," she greeted everyone.

Kai's older brother Taemin, who was sitting closest to her, waved furiously. Chanyeol bowed and greeted them, making sure to high five them as well.

"Yah!" Jonghyun shouted at Chanyeol, "what happened to my free motorcycle lesson yesterday?"

"I don't think that's a good idea," Key answered.

"Actually, Onew hyung said you were busy so I didn't come over," Chanyeol chimed in. Everyone turned to Onew.

"What? Remember last time? You let his bike drive itself into a pole! The kid has enough to do without having you to crash his bike," Onew authoritatively defended himself causing Jonghyun to slump in the back seat.

From behind them came a loud ringing signaling that school was about to begin. Saying their goodbyes the three of them rushed through the hallways.

"Psst," Kai whispered behind Min Hyo "where's Amber noona?"

Just as she was about to text Amber, she and her brother walked up to them. Her little brother Tao waved at all of them before running off to class taking Kai with him. Finding their class, they sat by the windows and waited for the teacher to begin.

"Okay class, we will pick up where we left off last week." As Mr. Ahn started to jot things on the blackboard there was a knock at the door. Mr. Ahn walked over and opened the door. "Ah, must be an announcement. Come in."

A tall boy with a sharp stare walked in followed by a shorter boy. They stood in front of the class, the tall one with his hands behind his back and the shorter one with his hands together in front of him.

"Annyeong, I'm Chen and this is Kris. We are here to announce that in three weeks the school will be hosting a talent show. Anyone who wants to sign up can go to the office where there will be a sign up sheet. You will need to write your name, room number, and what your talent will be. Also, anyone who wants to help with the stage can sign up, just write 'stage hand' instead of a 'talent'."

"The talent show will start during the upcoming festival. If you have any questions please see Mrs. Choi in her office. Lastly, if your talent isn't suitable or appropriate it will not be entered into the show, so anyone who tries to pull any pranks on the list, grow up," Kris gave a look around the room as if he was annoyed, but when his eyes landed where his friends were seated he gave a small smile. Chanyeol's hand shot up to wave which made Kris laugh to himself before leaving the classroom.

During class Min Hyo thought about joining the talent show as a stage hand. She already knew Chanyeol and Kris would team up to rap, maybe Kai and Amber would sign up too, but she knew she couldn't stand in front of the whole school and perform like them. Even standing in front of the class made her hands sweaty and her body heat up. An audience always made her incredibly nervous. All those eyes staring at her, waiting for her to make a mistake was unnerving.

After class she heard everyone talking about what they would sign up for. To her amazement, Kris wasn't planning away with Chanyeol. Instead he grabbed some food and sat next to her with a peculiar smirk.

"What? Do I have something on my face?" Her hand touched her cheek idly.

"No, there's nothing on your face," he turned away still smiling "I just had an idea."

"No." She firmly put it. "I think I know what it is and the answer is no."

"Awww come on Min Hyo, it'll be fun, we need you!" Amber sat by the other side of the table with her hands clasped together. "I even have a plan to get you used to the audience."

"Let her say no," Tao piped in, "she's going to give in eventually."

"She doesn't have to give in," Chanyeol smiled mischievously,  "she's doing it whether she wants to or not."

Min Hyo gave him a sharp glare as she took a sip of lemonade. Like she had told herself before, she wasn't interested in joining the performances in the show. If she did she would probably freeze on stage. But something about the way they all had the same creepy smirk and mischievous glint in their eyes told her that she wasn't getting out of this that easily.


Hi everyone!! Thank you to everyone who subscribed or read this new story!

 This sounds nothing like the description! OTL This chapter is to introduce characters and build the plot. Also, I think the rest of the story will be easier to understand if you see some of the *cough* hints *cough* I put here and there xD Oh and see what I did there? Randomly making Chen drop in  :D