Chapter 81

Intertwined

 

After a few more minutes, we reached Shindang-dong. I unbuckled my seatbelt to get out, but before I could slide the van door open, Joohyun got my attention by handling me something.

“The scarf,” I whispered in recognition. I took the long gray knit-work of mine from her as a smile spread across my face. “Where’s yours?”

She zipped her bag open and took the pink one. “I’ve been using it everyday,” my girlfriend said.

I chuckled. “Are we really in the cool off stage?” I commented rather hastily. The words came out of my mouth before I realized it could annoy Joohyun somehow.

But to my surprise, she shrugged it off coolly. “Probably?”

What was that supposed to mean, I thought.

***

We got off the van and continued our ‘last happy day’ together. Her arm linked with mine, we walked to Shindangdong’s famous ddokbbokki town and headed to the good old shop where we had our first meal as a couple. We sat on the same spot and as soon as we plaed our order, the reminiscing began.

There were lots of things we talked about. There were lots of things I noticed to have changed. It was undeniable that over the past year that we were together in the program, Joohyun had become more comfortable with me around. It was actually fun seeing her that jolly. Suddenly, I came to realize that even though she couldn’t use banmal to me casually, I really was and will – perhaps – be the closest to her, among all men outside her family.

 To lighten up the mood and for more entertainment, the PD instructed us to play a game to measure how much we’ve known each other. How we’ll do it depended on us.

“If you don’t know, “I started the explanations with a warning, “the punishment will be a hit in the forehead.”

Joohyun looked glum all of a sudden, yet the cute pout was there. I wondered if she really hated being hit in the forehead. Well, it’s pretty expected since it does sting. I never liked it either.

“I don’t like hitting people in the forehead,” she commented in an innocent voice.

I chortled. My Seo Joohyun is really one of a kind. It’s amusing to realize that she cared more about her dislike of hurting others rather than fearing the pain of getting hit.

She raised her eyebrows at me, perhaps mentally asking what was funny. Instantly, I stopped chuckling. Then, she took out a pack of notepads and gave me a sheet. She also got one for herself.

“We’ll right three questions here,” she pointed out what I already thought was obvious. We began jotting down the inquiries and I can’t help but smile. So many things have changed, but this one thing about Joohyun remained.

Few minutes after, the question and answer portion began. It turned out quite well and fun although I missed the first question. But to be honest, I was more surprised to know how much she knew me. It was actually as if she could read my mind. Or maybe I was just too easy to read?

I was particularly amused when she answered the question about her singing of Love Light correctly. There were lots of things she did which surprised me, but that marked in my heart. It’s lovely to realize that she knew that.

She must have paid more attention to the relationship more than how I thought.

***

We didn’t finish the ddokbbokki ramen and it was okay. After all, we weren’t exactly hungry. So continuing our last happy day, we went out for another stroll. Joohyun told me she wanted to go to Morning Glory, the store where we bought the cups, socks and the 2000-won rings. I agreed. We had to spend our money anyway.

We went to buy more couple items, even though we’re virtually separating. We both know that it will be of perfect use anyway since we’re not separating in real life. I suggested that we buy a pair of stuffed toys to remember each other with, and we went for the dogs hanging above the counter.

Also, I got her a big teddy bear which I actually paid for using my own money. I’ve always wanted to give her one as big as that. For a typical reason, of course: I wanted to give her a representation of myself so she could hug and kiss it anytime.

“I’m jealous of the bear,” I whispered to her as we got away from the staffs.

She looked at me quizzically. “Why?”

I pouted my lips in feigned frustration. Then, I heaved a deep sigh. “That bear will get to stay in your room always, I can’t even enter the dorm.”

It took quite a few seconds for my girlfriend to grasp what I was trying to say. When she did, she laughed out softly while patting me on the shoulder. “Don’t worry, I’ll be able to invite you there soon,” she assured me.

Suddenly, it didn’t feel like we’re ending our virtual marriage anymore.

…or not?

Suddenly, a familiar voice broke our reveries. “We’re heading to Sangdodong after this. It’s time to say goodbye to your house.”  It was Hyeyoung noona.

Joohyun and I looked at each other. In her eyes, I somehow saw some hint of sadness, and I’m pretty sure that mine reflected the same. The house was something we both treasured. It was our love nest, and a lot of memories happened there. It might be difficult to let all those things go.

Hyeyoung-noona fixed our scarves and then headed back to where the staffs where. Joohyun’s manager came up to us afterwards and guided us both back to the van which will bring us to the house.

As we stepped inside, no one was speaking. And then it felt sure that we’re ending the marriage.

Somehow, it hurts again.

 

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE:

One thing we have to understand: FEELINGS ARE BIPOLAR.

That's the most basic reason why Yonghwa feels happy one moment, and then sad on the other. 

 

Anyway, I'M SORRY WAS AWESOME! I LOVE THE SONG!!!! :)

And with CNB back on tracks again (IN TIME WITH SNSD'S PROMOTIONS), let's all get ready to go to GOCHUN!!! ♥