chapter 62

Intertwined

THIS IS THE NEW UPDATE. I DELETED AN UNNECESSARY CHAPTER AND DID SOME SORT OF ADJUSTMENTS ON THE CHAPTER TITLE SO YOU MIGHT GET CONFUSED. BUT YEAH, HERE IS THE LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG UPDATE FOR ALL OF YOU.

“Would you calm down?” Hyeyoung noona hissed at me as she did her final touches on my hair that afternoon. We were out in the cold and myy clock said it was turning 6 already. There were only four people excluding me in the filming location – Hyeyoung noona, the cameraman, a production assistant, and a lights man.

I fidgeted on my seat, totally anxious. The coordinuna then left to fix her bag and then, I sneezed.

“ACHOO!”

“Are you sick?” The cameraman who was working a few feet away from inquired worriedly.

I shook my head no with a smile. “Aniyo, Maybe it’s just because of the weather. It has gone exceptionally cold now that spring’s approaching,” I remarked.

Convinced that I’m okay, the cameraman went back to mind his own business and I let my gaze wander around, trying to find something to distract me.

Suddenly, there was a voice. “A penny for your thoughts?” It was Hyeyoung noona. She handed me a cup of instant tea. “Seohyun will kill me if I give you coffee,” she added as she propped herself on a seat next to mine.

A warm chuckle escaped my lips as I accepted the drink. “Thanks,” I muttered.

“So yeah, a penny for your thoughts?” She reiterated.

I took a sip on my tea and I felt calm in an instant. “Make the penny a million and I’ll tell you,” I joked as I took another sip.

Hyeyoung noona pinched my cheek. “OH!” I gasped in the sudden pain.

The woman released me and I immediately massage the part that stung. “I’m still older than you. Answer my question properly,” she reprimanded yet there was a smile on her face. She knew I was just making fun of her.

“I was just thinking what if she’s still mad. I wouldn’t know what to do anymore,” I admitted.

Hyeyoung noona placed her hand on top of mine and grasped in tightly for a few seconds before letting go. “As a woman, I would feel touched already with what you did. It’s just too sweet. Seohyun isn’t insensitive to not feel that,” she assured me.

I blush a little as I digested her praise. But it didn’t last long as paranoia crept back in. “Will she really be coming? Did her manager allow her to meet me?”

Hyeyoung noona rolled her eyes at me. She brushed her hair up with her fringes – a sign of frustration and annoyance – before narrowing her stare at me.

“Do you honestly believe that managers in SME have the right to interfere with their artists’ personal decisions?” She asked; her voice stern. I gulped. “Joohyun got into a relationship with you because she can. There is nothing in her contract which restricts her from doing personal things. This is part of her work but she personally decided to meet you after all her schedules, so it’s considered a personal decision, and I repeat, the manager has no say on that. Get that?”

I didn’t notice until Hyeyoung noona finished that I was smiling stupidly. I felt very loved and important that very moment. I loved her more.

And then a snap of fingers woke me up from my trance. When I went back to myself, I saw Hyeyoung noona stading in front of me. “Hey Romeo, your Juliet is coming. You want to get ready?” She teased.

I instantly got up from my seat without any clear reason why I did. Maybe a surge of adrenaline? But I knew the camera started rolling as soon as Hyeyoung noona stepped out of the frame. Then, I started walking around in circles, occasionally glancing at where Joohyun will come from.

And then there she was – rubbing her hands to ease the cold as she walked towards me. My goddess. My angel. My girlfriend.

A smile appeared in my face at the sight of her. I stepped out in the open to reveal myself. “Seohyun,” I called and waved.

My girlfriend looked surprise. For a moment I wondered what’s wrong. “Who are you?” She asked.

I snorted inside. She was actually making fun of me. But I had my hair color changed so there was a reason why she asked. “It’s me,” I retorted playfully.

Joohyun ran towards me, obviously excited. She also complimented my hair and I got tounge-tied once more when she walked beside me to the bench. Goodness. How can my smart mouth just disappear when I’m with her?

Fumbling with words to say, I decided to just set the mood for the revelation of the scarves. “It’s cold, you should have worn warmer clothes,” I said.

Joohyun pretended not to hear as she said nothing. I think she was reminded of that night when she gave me her scarf. I kicked myself for being so insensitive.

Thankfully, the PA raised a board instructing Seohyun to ask how I was so the ice was broken.

“So how are you these days?” She began.

I smiled at the awkwardness but I chose to be honest. “I just came from Japan,” I admitted.

She did look surprised and I realized that Hyeyoung noona must not have told her that I indeed just came back from Tokyo.  “We filmed a music video.”

Suddenly, the air blew colder than usual, like something’s approaching. To counter the negative feeling, I held her hand and said, “I’m back Seohyun-ah.”

“You’re back,” she said indifferently, as if trying to get something out.

And she did.

“THE SCARF,” she exclaimed.

Alas, the storm had come. She hit me (and it wasn’t playful) quite a few times as she tried to hide her pain behind her smiles. I promised her I would find the scarf but obviously, I didn’t.  But then, I came to her with a huge compensation. I knitted scarves for us.

Joohyun was trying to be playful and somehow, I felt guilty that I’m taking time to reveal my surprise. Once more, I held her hand to ease the nervousness and to ease her anger. “It’s gone,” I admitted.

And then I received something I never expected. Joohyun sent me a piercing stare which I never have seen in our entire relationship. Sure, she used to narrow her eyes on me but that was the first time I actually felt shivers ran down my spine.

“I’m sorry.” It was all I could say.

“Impossible,” she commented as she feigned her cries.

I tried to distract her by telling her about the coat incident at the airport. But she refused to change the topic and went back to the interrogation about the lost scarf.  

Not containing it anymore, I decided to use my ‘emotional’ card. “Didn’t you miss me?” I asked, hoping that that would actually sidetrack her.

But Joohyun was adamant. “I didn’t miss you. I missed my scarf,” and then she threw a cute fit again.

I don’t know what made me do it but I lifted my hand and directed a finger on her face. “I…” I pointed at her eyes. “…miss…” I pointed at her nose. “…you,” I pointed at her lips.

But instead of feeling better, she threw me again a deadly look and I don’t know if the camera captured it but I gulped in nervousness. “Really,” Joohyun made me stop on my thoughts of throwing more cheesy lines.

Knowing that I can’t push my girlfriend’s patience to the limit anymore, I decided to jump off to the main purpose of the meeting.

I asked her to knit me a scarf again because I feel cold. Again, she threw me a killing stare. But then I knew I had to keep it up. Thus, I continued teasing her about the scarf saying that it’s easy and hinting that I have made something.

“I bought something,” and then I took my bag off and brought out the pink scarf. “Here.”

Joohyun’s eyes widened at the sight of the scarf. She obviously loved the color. “Where did you buy this?” She asked while completely in awe.

“In Shibuya,” I shifted uncomfortably on my seat. I have hated lying to her because she had always been honest.

Or not? Because the scarf was far from being pretty but she kept on saying it was.  

Then I got my grey scarf and she was even more surprised. I used the same excuse that I bought it but I think I kinda slipped because when she asked me again where I bought it, I shaid Shinjuku. Inconsistency overload, yes?

“Did you make it?” Joohyun suddenly asked.

Instantly, I pretended to be stunned. “Do you think I have the time to make it?” I was joking, of course, but that seemed to hurt my girlfriend.

“You do things just because you’re free, what about me?” She exclaimed.

I ended up apologizing for not thinking about my actions so I distracted her by blowing warm air on her hands. Afterwards, I got the notebook from my bag and gave it to her. “I decided to reflect on my actions,” I said.

My girlfriend loves it whenever I do that. She loves notes. She loves books. She loves the simple things. “There’s a big revelation there,” I warned.

She opened the book and I saw her gasp in disbelief. “YOU DID IT!?”

I nodded in admission. “Yes,”

The book contained Polaroid pictures of me, knitting the scarves. There were notes and drawings everywhere, contributing a sense of art to the project. It was quite corny, actually; but I guess that’s what pleased my girlfriend more.

As she browsed through the note, she asked me things about knitting and even offered to teach me another technique. I also told her where I learned it and even admitted that it was so difficult, I would really cry if she lost it.

She smiled a contented smile. I believe it was because she appreciated it a lot when I reflected on my mistakes; and I promise not to do it anymore.

She read my last letter and I can tell she was close to crying so she kept her head low. “Through this present, I learnt a lot and I promise to be a better husband from now on,” she read.

There was a moment of silence between us because Joohyun couldn’t find the words to say. I couldn’t either. The both of us were obviously surprised with the turnouts of events. She never thought I would knit us scarves. I never thought I could make a scarf.

I guess that’s what happens when you are in love.

“I like it,” she finally broke the silence.

Instantly, a sense of relief washed all over me. It was authentic. It was real. It means I was really forgiven. I was ecstatic.

Hyeyoung noona stood behind Joohyun in glee. She mouthed ‘I told you’ and ‘congratulations’ as she gave me two thumbs up. I looked at her gratefully and gave her a thumbs-up too, and we both smiled. I couldn’t have done this without her. I felt blessed.

Since it’s getting late now and both of us needed to rest, the cameraman decided to raise a board instructing us to leave together for the ending of the episode. As we did, we were chatting over some things. As soon as we’re safely away from the staffs, I reached out for her hand and cradled it on mine.

“I love you,” I whispered.

She smiled in the darkness as she grasped my hand tighter. “I love you too,” she replied.