chapter 61

Intertwined

 

We were on our way home from Japan. I sat on my seat beside the airplane window as Banmal song plays from my headphones. It was dawn and as the light began to crawl into the day, our airplane maneuvered for landing as we entered the territory of South Korea.

Few minutes more, the pilot spoke through his speaker as the flight attendants hurried to the back part of our cabin. “Kindly fasten your seatbelts as we will be landing now at Incheon Airport.”

I closed my eyes as I felt my body slowly surging downwards. To be honest, I hate it when the plane sets off and lands. No particular reasons though. I guess I just don’t like the feeling of a squirming stomach.

And then after some more moments, I felt the plane came to a halt and I opened my eyes slowly. The blinking orange light above me told me that it’s already okay to remove my seatbelt; and so I did.

Then I stood up and stretched my limbs. “Ah, it’s nice to be home,” I said.

I heard chuckles behind me and realized that Hyeyoung noona was there. FNC basically hired her freelance service for a music video we filmed so she was with us.

“You seemed so excited to be back home, indeed,” she teased as she zipped her bag close and stood up.

I leaned to the backrest of my seat as I knelt on it like a child peeking to see what’s happening behind him. “Is it that obvious?” I winked and then hurried off to the tarmac.

Indeed, I was excited. But not exactly because I’m in my motherland. It’s because after three grueling and torturing weeks, I am once again back to where my girlfriend currently was. Breathing the same air as the person you love was compensating enough.

On our way out of the airport, the press was waiting for us as usual. I wanted to take a different route and I could have done that but a part of me pushed me to mingle with the journalists. And as I step into the middle of the mob, I knew right then and there why I did.

“Jung Yonghwa-ssi!” A reporter called my name a little bit too loud, catching my attention. “Have you seen Seohyun-ssi wearing the coat you bought her recently?”

Surprised, I gawked at him and suddenly, the two scarves on my Yves Saint Laurent bag weighed like stones. Suddenly, I felt like I just want to go direct to her and give her the presents. The feeling was worse yet better than the turbulences on the plane.

I wanted to inquire about the coat but I felt a pair of strong hands pushing me by my shoulders. I then looked around and saw my manager leading me to the black van parked in front of us. I shook my head in frustration but I made a mental not to check it as soon as we’re in private.

So as soon as the door of the van slid shut and the vehicle started moving, I took out my phone to search on the internet.

“Seohyun Yonghwa green coat,” I muttered as I typed the words on the keyword box and hit the search button.

Thanks to South Korea having the fastest internet connection, it took me only a few seconds to get the result of the research. However, it was all the same. There were fan photos and videos of us in the mall. This was a lovely memory, but what exactly did the reporter mean? I heaved a deep sigh, catching Jonghyun’s attention who was sitting beside me.

“Wae?” Jonghyun mouthed, careful not to let the manager hear.

I typed the explanation in my phone and handed it to him as soon as I’m done. He read it and bobbed his head ocassionally in agreement to what I was saying. Then at least, he started typing on my search box something I was too stupid not to try.

SEOHYUN GREEN COAT AIRPORT YONGSEO

Those were a lot of keywords it made wonder. After a few seconds of loading, I knew already what the reporter was saying.

There it was, a picture of Seo Joohyun in the immigration desk of the airport, wearing the familiar green coat which I easily identified as the one I bought for her.

My heart leaped in joy that even Jungshin and Minhyuk – who were sitting at back – noticed. Fortunately, the manager was fast asleep so we were able to have a little (and silent) celebration.

“Hyung, she must love you a lot,” Minhyuk whispered. I looked at him warily, a little surprised because somehow it sounded sad. But the drummer wouldn’t want me to dwell on something we’ve talked upon before. So I just placed my right hand on his left thigh and squeezed it softly. I am genuinely happy that he understood.

Jonghyun stole my attention as he nudged me lightly. “When are you giving her the scarves?”

Suddenly, my mind went black and my heart sank unexpectedly. There weren’t any schedules yet from the staff and I fear like we had to wait for another week to see each other because of her busy schedule. I couldn’t afford that. I wanted to see my girlfriend as soon as possible.

 Frantically, I dialed Joohyun’s number for a call but she wasn’t answering. Well, actually, the call won’t connect and I was beginning to worry. However, I thought that she might have turned it off for a practice or shoot…

Or she’s still made because I didn’t tell her about my Japan trip again.

So turning a little desperate (because I obviously settled for my paranoia), I dialed the number of a person I know who could help me big time.

One ring and she picked up. “Hyeyoung noona,” I immediately spoke.

***

“Seohyun is busy. She wouldn’t have free time until 6PM. Are you okay with that?” She asked after she called me back. I asked for help and she came up with the idea of talking to the staffs to allow us to shoot even for just an hour.

I glanced at the whiteboard hanging on our dorm wall. We didn’t have schedules. “Alright, I will wait at the place where she gave me her scarf,” I instantly replied.

In short, the schedule was set. Thanks to Hyeyoung noona (and whatever magic she used), an impromptu WGM taping will be held later that afternoon. Only a few staffs will be there and not even the director could come. But according to my lovely coordinuna, the executive producer agreed as he said it would possible result to high ratings. The reasoning was a little offensive but WGM was developed to rate. It just so happened that the couple fell in love.

“Jung Yonghwa, let me tell you something,” Hyeyoung noona suddenly caught my attention as we continuously talked over the phone. “Seohyun might still be mad and just because you knitted a long one for her means she’d forgive you for real.”

I winced at the possibility. “I understand,” said my suddenly-nervous self.

That day, time crawled like a turtle. I t was very slow, or maybe I was just too excited. Jungshin was the one trying to distract me.

“Hyung, you really look funny when excited,” Jonghyun suddenly commented as I paced back and forth kitchen and the living area. He was sitting at the couch, hugging the throw pillow as he stared at me.

I sent him a glare and he chuckled. My pretentious annoyance really did not affect him. Eventually, my gaze softened and I sat beside him. “What should I do later?” I heard myself asking.

Jonghyun looked at me surprised, but he didn’t comment. Instead, he caressed his chin with his fingers as he thought of a good suggestion.

“Just be honest,” he said.

It was all he could come up with but it was what I needed the most. I should be honest. I really should be.

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

hey guys sorry for not updating that much during the last few weeks. i had to organize a wedding for a friend so it took most of my time. ^^