The Job Hunt

Backstage Delights

Ju Ri                                                                                                                                     

I ignored her ranting as she just pulled me along the streets of Seoul, Korea, not caring that people have made it their business and just stood and stared at us. My arm was being pulled harshly and in a very uncomfortable position. It felt like it could just pop out of place at any stray movement.

You have to love my mom.

Wait, before I get ahead of myself... You don't have any idea what's going on do you? Let me start from the beginng; let's rewind!

 

---

She wanted me to find a job, I tried. Honestly, I did! I totally didn't just sneak into the treehouse in the backyard and sleep. And I certainly didn't climb over the fence (which I found was a lot more simple than it seemed) and take a 10 minute walk!

Ok, so I did, but I did look for anything that might be good. I found some... But I was too shy to do anything.

So I returned home to find dinner already set on the table, and I was so ready to eat! But was cut off by my mother...

"Did you find a good job?" She asked, pulling away my plate and staring me down.

I couldn't lie, so I told the cold hard truth, "No, not this time."

"Again?" She sighed, not buying my story, "You didn't sneak somewhere and sleep the whole time, did you? Maybe Eun Bin's house?"

"No," I shook my head; I slept in the Treehouse.

"You slept in the treehouse?!" My mother looked at my with that 'angry-and-I'm-going-to-hurt-you-if-it's-true' look. Yeah...that's my mom.

"No, I didn't! What would give you that idea?" Then it occured to me, "Did I say that out loud?"

"Yes, and I'm surprised you couldn't figure that out," She slammed her hands on the table as she got up. She walked up to my side of the table (I was sitting across from her), picked me up easily, and started to race out the door.

"Where are we going?" I ask my mother, very confused and curious.

Out of the house, through the small courtyard, then through her small clothing shop at front, she dragged me the whole way. As soon as we got a good block or two away from the house she turned to me, "I didn't want to to this, but you leave me no choice."

"You're kicking me out?" My mouth opens wide. I was scared, I could leech off of Eun Bin, but I wouldn't be much a friend if I did that...

"No, I'm getting you a job," She snickered at my reaction; my mouth opened wider and I pulled at her sleeve, begging her to not.

"It's too late," She shook her head, "You need to learn to be a bit more responsible...and quit being so socially awkward,  you won't find a boyfriend like that."

Yup...I love my mom.