Ice Cream in Rain

When the Rain Ends

--Author's POV--

I exhaled loudly. "I guess no ice cream after all."

The soft rain drizzling down against the floor made the grass damp. I lifted my hand to touch the drizzle of liquid. It trickled coldly against my skin. I dropped my hand and sighed once more. Oh well...I should be watching my diet instead of eating more calories anyway. With a final sigh of defeat, I padded away from the roof and the sprinkling rain tapped against my hair like ballet shoes.

"Did I hear someone say ice cream?" The voice came from behind me and I jump in shock.

I spun around. Jaejoong-sshi, arms crossed, a grin planted on his face, stood there looking at me in his raincoat. His dark hair blew softly against the wind. I blinked a few times and rubbed my head in embarrassment.

"Nae, ice cream," I responded with a toothy grin. "I was planning on getting some today, but with this wet day ahead of me, I don't think the ice cream stand is open now."

He chuckled. "Well, you can't know unless you try. Come on, let's go."

He grabbed my arm and pulled me, leading us away from the school building. I stumbled along, trying to, but failing to step away from the small puddles edging across the ground. Jaejoong stopped and turned toward me.

"Maybe this will be better," he said.

"What?"

He pulled out an umbrella from his work bag and opened it up, holding it carefully above my head. The rain plopped loudly against the hood of the umbrella.

"Aigoo, Jaejoong-sshi, you don't need to do that. You'll get yourself wet," I said, pulling the handle of the umbrella to cover his head.

"I'm fine," he replied, gripping the handle once more to push the umbrella above me.

I feigned a glare and he laughed. I frowned. "Jaejoong-sshi, this is your umbrella. It belongs on top of your head."

"If we continue to be like this, our ice cream won't be there anymore," Jaejoong winked.

I huffed, knowing he was right. "Araso, araso. We'll go get the ice cream. But I'm not letting you get wet, Jaejoong-sshi."

We marched toward the ice cream stand, sharing the umbrella together. I gained a few amused looks from passersby. I hoped we didn't look like a couple. I didn't want Jaejoong-sshi to be looked upon as a teacher who was interested in his students.

--Author's POV--

"Yah, Minho, don't be such a sour lemon. Come with us, it'll be fun."

"I'm tired, guys. And I have a busy schedule. Especially with the new drama," Minho sighed.

Key pouted. "Aigoo, just for a few minutes. Eh? Just a few," he repeated.

Minho hesitated. "Well--"

"I'll help you, bro. With the studying," Jonghyun said, patting his shoulder.

Onew groaned. "Are you guys coming or not? I'm hungry."

"You're always hungry these days, hyung," Jonghyun chuckled.

Onew lightly punched his teasing friend. The four boys slowly walked out of the school, undisturbed by the drizzling weather. A few giggling girls cuddled nearby in the trees, smiling shyly at them. They were holding umbrellas in their hands, daintily standing there, waiting for the boys to spot them. When no sign of contact showed, they quickly walked right up to the boys.

"O-Oppa," one of them called flirtatiously at Jonghyun.

"Nae?" the curious boy asked in return. He tilted his head and grinned. "What's up?"

She blushed and held out the umbrella. "W-Well, it's raining and I figured you'd get wet. So I brought you an umbrella. Please take it, Oppa."

"Aigoo, how sweet of you," Key noted in a small hint of jealousy.

Another girl, with nerdy glasses and a small framed face, held out another umbrella towards him. "Here, Key Oppa. This one is for you."

Key immediately grinned. "Wow. Thanks, dongsaeng. That's nice of ya."

Nerdy Glasses blushed. "You're welcome. We only want our Oppas to be healthy and happy."

"I don't get one?" Minho asked, raising an eyebrow. "Is it only Umbrella Sharing Day for Key and Jonghyun?"

"P-Please feel free to share the umbrella with them, Oppa," the first girl replied quietly. "We only have two hands. Mianhe."

Onew pouted. "Chicken Oppa doesn't get one? This is not my day..."

"Mianhabnida. We will be leaving now, Oppa. Have a nice day!" the girls said before dashing away.

"Looks like only biases get to stay dry, nae?" Key winked at the frowning guys.

"Whatever," Minho huffed. "Are we going or not?"

A nod confirmed the question and the crew set off to their location once more. As said, the umbrellas were shared, keeping everyone dry, but giving the boys curious and excited looks from fans.

From the very first day that SHINee attended SM Arts High together, bromance rumors had already been filing throughout the gossiping halls of the school. At first, the boys were horrified to be seen as gay men. They were as straight as could be. Therefore, they didn't like being accused of something they weren't. However, it was so common to hear about it now; they didn't even care anymore. Couple names involving Taemin had already dissipated after his Transformation. That's what people called it. Nobody ever spoke of Taemin after that.

Jonghyun twirled the umbrella handle, spinning it around and around. Minho, Jonghyun's umbrella partner, flashed him a look of annoyance. Would you stop that? his expression asked. Jonghyun only gave him a wink of an eye.

"Yah, hyung, you're getting me all wet!" Key complained. He was standing right next to them, already soaked with the umbrella's splattering water.

"Oops," Jonghyun mouthed. "Sorry, man."

"Oh!" Onew suddenly exclaimed loudly his eyes widening at something ahead of him.

"Oh what?" Jonghyun blinked.

"Is it a hot girl?" Key asked, immediately looking around.

Minho exasperatedly sighed. Are we ever going to make it to the restaurant?

"Aniya," Onew replied. "Well, I mean, yes, she's hot. But...But...It's her!" He pointed off in the distance.

The boys laid their eyes in the direction Onew had pointed upon. Standing a few feet away, at the ice cream stand, was the girl who'd eaten lunch with Taemin at the cafeteria that day. Even more surprising was that she wasn't alone. Standing right next to her, holding an umbrella, was Kim Jaejoong, a student teacher at the school.

"D-Don't tell me they're . . ." Key trailed off.

"I don't know," Minho said.

"That's strange," Jonghyun commented.

"Peculiar," Onew agreed.

Key took a small step forward. He eyed his friends silently. They already knew what he would say without him speaking.

"I wanna talk to her."

--Taemin's POV--

Sometimes the rain makes me calm. The way it settles itself down from the sky and drops down everywhere comforts me. When I said that to Minho all those years ago, on that dull, rainy day, he simply stared at me.

"You're weird, Taemin," he stated.

"B-But it's true! It's comforting!" I had whined.

He had chuckled and ruffled my hair. "Alright, Taemin. Alright."

Now, I stand underneath a large tree, watching the rain come down. And I take back those words. No. Rain isn't calming. It looks like the heavens are crying. It looks like Mother Nature went through an emotional day. And most of all, rain reminds me of the day I cried at Miyun's funeral. Miyun. Miyun, are you in heaven now? Are you watching over me? If so, then please stop this rain. Please stop reminding me of you. I have to go through it each day. It hurts.

A loud laugh blossomed through the air. It was comforting. More comforting then the rain I used to like. And it sounded familiar. I spun my head around toward the laughing voice. And I saw her.

Ah, nice to meet you, Taemin. I'm Minri. Park Minri.

She stood there with that same happy smile on her face. She held an ice cream cone in her hand, standing at the ice cream stand. I didn't know why, but every time I saw her, I was less sad. I was happier whenever I saw her. Yet I had no idea why. Maybe her happiness was just contagious.

Then I saw him. Kim Jaejoong. An old feeling burned inside of me. He held an umbrella over her head, chuckling as she laughed again. They ate their ice cream cones as if it was the most happiest thing on earth. As if the rain had no effect on them. As if the sun was on their side.

I tilted my head up to the sky. There wasn't' a sign of the sun. All I could see was the dark clouds and cold rain. I turned my gaze back onto the ground. Then again, I couldn't help but simply look at Minri again.

When will the rain end?