Letters to a Lonely Soul

Letters to a Lonely Soul [AFF Fic.Ex.]

 

               It was just three days before Christmas Eve when Payton stepped out of her rented apartment in Seoul. The streets were quiet except for the occasional car honk in the distance as she ventured out towards her college campus with her camera loosely hanging around her neck. A thick camera strap dug into her black scarf and tangled with her hair. She shuffled down the sidewalk, the crunching of freshly fallen snow echoing under the soles of her feet. Every so often, Payton stopped to snap a photo. They ranged from a picture of an apartment building to an elderly man wiping a snowflake from his wife’s wrinkled cheek. They smiled tenderly at each other, no hesitation or unwillingness evident in their eyes. Payton sighed, wishing she had someone to spend Christmas with. But sadly, that wasn’t so. This Christmas would be a lonely one.

                Payton checked her watch and made a small detour towards the park just outside of school campus. She had a few minutes to spare anyways. The wind brushed against the tree branches and blew the loose snowflakes off their leaves, a light flurry dropping onto her head. She shook her head and ran her fingers through her snow infested hair when she noticed a boy. It wasn’t what he looked like that caught her attention (although she wasn’t complaining about how he looked), it was what he was doing. On an early Tuesday morning, he was merely sitting out in the cold with nothing but a thin sweater and wool scarf. His cheeks were colored a cute rosy hue and as the wind blew back and forth, his hair moved along with it. Legs pulled to his chest, his eyes scanned something he was holding over and over.

                Now, if it wasn’t for the cold weather, Payton wouldn’t have taken another step closer but his hands looked as though they would fall off at any given moment from frost bite. She crept under the cover of trees lining the walkway and slipped her homemade mittens on the bench beside him, scurrying away before he could even glance in her direction. She bit her lip in embarrassment the more she thought about it on her way back to school, what was she thinking? Payton turned abruptly and headed back towards the boy, peeking from behind a tree to see if he was still there. He was. The only difference now was the smile gracing his lips as he stared down at the mittens. Unconsciously gripping her camera to her eye she snapped a quick picture, stumbling to get away when he looked up at the sudden noise.

                Luckily, he didn’t see her. But he did see a blur of brown hair as she rounded a corner. In his hands, written in neat penmanship was a small letter spilling everything he wanted for Christmas this year. It wasn’t anything too difficult—well at least he hoped. Always hoped. Alexander sighed and fiddled with the small note, inserting it neatly into a beige envelope. He dusted off his jeans and reluctantly made his way back to school campus. At the center of the courtyard was a large tree elaborately decorated by ornaments and beige envelope just like his. The school’s headmaster smiled at Alexander’s appearance and waved at him, gesturing him towards him.

                “Do you have yours? We’re staring our annual ceremony in about fifteen minutes. Are you going to stay? I’m sure someone’s bound to pick yours. What’d you ask for anyways?”

                Alexander smiled as he handed over his envelope, “I can’t say, uncle. It’s nothing special.”

                “Did you ask for a girlfriend?” Yoo In teased, pinching one of his cheeks. “You sly dog . . .”

                “No!” he answered. “I’m not that desperate. Besides,” he wrinkled his nose, “isn’t that a little too corny? What if one of the staff gets it? Wouldn’t that be awkward?”

                “But they don’t know it’s you anyway . . . did you sign yours anonymously?”

                “Yeah, just like you asked. I only put my dorm number and my major.”

                “Good, good. Well, I’m off. Don’t tell your aunt but I still haven’t packed for Hawaii yet,” his uncle whispered. “I’m too lazy. Alexander, maybe you could—“

                “No. Bye uncle, have fun!” He shouted, sprinting off towards his dorm before his uncle had any time to protest. The older man, crossed his arms and sighed, watching his nephew run away. Alexander was a complex being—introverted one second, then outgoing and the life of the party the next. He was ­so complex Yoo In never really got past his thick outer skin and he was Alexander’s last living relative! Weren’t they supposed to be close? Yoo In just hoped this Christmas would be different for Alexander. Maybe this Christmas . . . he’d find someone who could permanently be with him.

-

-

-

                “Alright, everyone, be sure to pick up your photographs in the dark room. Don’t leave them for Christmas break! Headmaster Yoo In is waiting at the courtyard to assign you your Christmas assignments so hurry up. We’re late as it is . . .”

                Payton sighed and slung her bag over her shoulder, gathering her belongings and following the crowd. A boy nudged her side, smiling at the pout on her face.

                “What’s with the long face, Payton?”

                “I think my hands are going to thaw off any second,” she answered, staring down at her shaking hands. The weather wasn’t cooperating with her wardrobe today. Well, it wasn’t so much her attire but the lack of mittens shielding her hands from the wind. She rubbed her hands together in an attempt to get warm. Why did she have to give her only gloves to a person she would probably never see again? Probably. Soohyun draped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer, a mock smile taunting her distressed state.

                “What happened to your mittens? Did you misplace them?”

                “No, I gave them to a stranger who needed it more than I did.”

                “Then, let me buy you some new ones. The shop is just around the corner.” Soohyun saw the frown on her face, she never really did like him offering her ‘free-things’. “It won’t cost that much! Just a couple of won, I swear!” Payton shook her head.

                “Definitely not, and take your arm off my shoulder. People are going to think we’re together,” just as she uttered the words a girl brushed by her, pausing to whisper a threat for dating ‘Soohyun-oppa’. Payton returned the shove, she wasn’t someone to take threats very well. “See what I mean?”

                “Who cares what they think?” he muttered, but lowered his arm anyway.

                “I’ll tell you what they’ll think. They’ll think I’m some gold-digger looking to milk you for all the money you’re worth.”

                Shin Soohyun was not a man to be taking lightly. With a tall disposition and looks to match his height, he was the envy of the male college population. Not to mention the shiny platinum credit card resting in his wallet. He always told her it was from his father’s will but Payton had her doubts on the subject. He hadn’t worked a day in his life either so that ruled out her idea of him being some manager at an expensive hotel. Like her, he was attending Seoul University, but not for photography. He was here as a third year business major, already receiving recommendations for high company positions.

                “Then let them think it,” he said shrugging at the sudden attention on them.

                “Mr. Shin, are you listening to my rules for your assignment?” a booming voice asked.

                “Ne, Headmaster Lee,” he shouted back.

                “Then please relate my directions to your colleagues,” he countered, smirking at the thought of embarrassing the cocky male. Soohyun rolled his eyes and spoke loudly.

                “One, keep your envelope to yourself. Two, don’t lose your envelope, you’re only getting one. Three, do exactly as it says, it’s being noted as part of the curriculum.”

                “Excellent, now you may pick yours.”

-

-

-

 

                “Go ahead, sweetie. Take your pick.”

                Headmaster Lee grinned in satisfaction as the young girl picked an envelope. Her soft features made her easy on the eyes; she was a good match for him. Payton stared at the tree, overwhelmed by its sheer size and envelopes littering it’s braches. She reached for one than retracted her arm, pausing to rethink her decision.

                “Here, how about this one?” Yoo In purposely chose an envelope, handing it to her. She smiled up at him and rushed away. “Ms. Cho, who is that girl?”

                “Payton? She’s majoring in photography in my class, why?”

                “Nothing, I just had a thought.”

-

-

-

                “Wha!” Payton wailed as she slipped on the stairs leading away from the stage. She closed her eyes and whipped her camera closer to her chest, trying to prevent any damage to it. Instead of meeting the cold concrete, her body hit a set of warm arms. Opening her eyes, they met a pair of hazel orbs, blinking at her in confusion, then amusement.

                “You know, I’ve had girls throw themselves at me but not to this extent,” he spoke, chuckling. “But then again . . . you’re the first one to catch my interest. What’s your name?”

                “Payton,” she breathed, wiggling in his hold. The boy tightened his grip under her knees and smirked. “Do you mind? People are starting to stare.” He reluctantly placed her on the ground and watched her run off towards another man. At that his smirk faltered, he nudged a friend ersely looking up girls’ skirts as they ascended the stairs. “Hey, Eli, stop looking up their skirts for a second and tell me who that girl is,” he commanded, pointing towards the girl who had just dropped into his hands.

                “Uhm . . . Payton, I think? Don’t bother, though. I tried getting with her at one of those mixer things and she socked me in the face.”

                “She gave you that broken nose?!”

                “Yeah, why so surprised?”

                “You’re supposed to be my right-hand man. If you’re going off getting beat by girls how do I know you can handle the gang when I’m absent?” Alexander taunted jokingly. But of course, he wasn’t all joking. He was serious about the ‘gang’ prospect. No, it wasn’t a small gang who thought they were big shots. It was worse. They were an actual gang who reigned over most of Seoul. They kept the minor gangs in check and dealt illegal business deals with those from other countries. Of course they had rivals for the position but they were at the top for a reason.

                At a young age, Alexander lost his parents. Not because they were in a ‘car accident’ like it was rumored around the campus, but because his father was assassinated by the Yakuza who thought he was gaining too much power and threatening their own. If his gang, a mere city gang, was big enough to scare the entire Yakuza, you knew something was wrong. The thought of being passed down such an immense power was scary, too bad Alexander was the exception. His parents not being around because they were hiding or signing contracts with drug lords angered him to the point of no return. If those other gangs had stopped rabble-housing for a second maybe he wouldn’t have grown up lonely. If his father wasn’t leader of a feared gang, people would actually stick around long enough.

                “Oh, trust me. I can handle the pressure. We don’t need to worry about anyone—“

                “Except Black Out,” Alexander added, lowering his voice dangerously. “We need to keep an eye on them. They’ve been causing too much trouble. What’s their leader’s name again? Sooyun? Soomin?”

                “Soohyun,” Eli corrected. “Shin Soohyun.”

-

-

-

                “Yah! Shin Soohyun, I specifically told you not to buy me a new pair of mittens! But what do you do? Go out and do exactly what I told you not to do,” Payton growled.

                “Just take them,” he whined. “I made an effort to get them for you, so you might as well.”

                “Whatever, just go. It’s already past curfew. Go back to your dorm.”

                “But—“

                Payton slammed the door shut before he could say another word. “Love you, Soohyun!”

                “Payton!”

                “Good-night!”

                She sighed and made her way towards her bed once she heard his footsteps disappear. Honestly, she loved the guy but he never left her alone. As she sat on her bed, she noticed the beige envelope from earlier sticking out of her purse. She delicately undid the seal and scanned the letter.

To the recipient of my letter,

I don’t want much for Christmas.

 I just want a person to come into my life who cares enough to stay.

                                                                                                                                Dorm Room 143

                                                                                                                                Second Year English Major

-

-

-

                Two days before Christmas, Payton was scurrying back to the dark-room in the dead of night. She had forgotten to collect her photos from the day before and wanted to get a head start on her end of semester portfolio. Besides, she thought she had gotten some pretty good shots the day before. Once she reached the dimly lit room she set her belongings to the side and sorted through the other photographs hanging from the ceiling, going through each carefully. When everything was sorted she ran out again, this time with her pictures intact. She followed the same route home, rushing past two blocks of skyscrapers, than past the park. Her eyes caught the familiar sight of red mittens, except they were comfortably fitted on someone’s hands.

                Payton slowed her pace and walked towards the figure, hesitating to tap the strangers’ coat-covered shoulder. He had a hood pulled over his head and was sitting casually on the bench just as he had been before. “Um . . . hi,” she whispered, finally gathering the courage to speak. The boy turned to look up at her.

                “Hey,” he murmured back.

-

-

-

                Alexander quietly observed her from under his hood, smiling secretly when he realized she didn’t know who he was. The girl who had fallen into his arms out of literally nowhere was now standing in front of him looking flustered. “I was wondering if I could . . . get my mittens back. You know, they’re the only ones I have,” she stuttered.

                “Oh, these,” he said, motioning towards the red material. “You were the one who gave them to me?” he asked.

                “Yeah.”

                “Do you give your mittens to every stranger you meet?” he joked, slipping the garment off.

                “No, you just looked like you needed them more than I did at the time,” she admitted, curling a strand of hair back behind her ear. Alexander grinned at the action and gestured for her to sit, handing the red mittens to her once she’d sat down next to him. He let a soft sigh leave his lips.

                “Have you always been this kind to people you don’t know or am I a special case?”

                “You . . . remind me of me,” she murmured. Alexander tilted his head in confusion at her statement, unconsciously sliding himself closer to her. “The world doesn’t need two lonely souls.”

-

-

-

                “Hey, Payton, do you want to go hang out somewhere? I haven’t seen you around lately. Where have you been?” Soohyun asked, walking alongside her. Payton sighed. There it was again; his over-protective nature that wouldn’t leave her alone for even a second. He was hovering over her now, shooting glares at anyone who stared at her. Frankly his act was getting a little scary, possessive even.

                “I already have plans with someone else and you don’t have to worry about me, Soohyun. I just met this guy—“

                “You met another guy?” he angrily whispered. “What guy? Is he better looking than I am? Does he have more money than I do? I can give you everything, Payton! All you have to do is say the words! Tell me who this other guy is!” He jerked her arm towards him, twisting it uncomfortably. Payton let a small whimper slip from both pain and fear.

                “Soohyun, you’re hurting me. Let go.”

                “So you can run off to another guy? You must be ing kidding me!”

                “Soohyun, stop it! It hurts!”

                “You’re coming with me—“

                “No, she’s staying with me.”

                Soohyun whipped his head to the side, sending an icy glare at whoever had uttered the words. Payton blinked back tears and glanced up. Alexander. He was gripping Soohyun’s coat sleeve, returning the same glare with twice the contempt. A small group had gathered behind them, watching them bicker with interest. “She’s my girlfriend. What I say goes.”

                “Really?” Alexander mused. “She’s your girlfriend? Because I’m pretty sure she told me she was single. Now get the off her,” he growled, yanking Payton into his arms and away from Soohyun who was turning green with envy. “Don’t try to make up those fabricated stories. I’m not an idiot. I can see right through you.”

                “You can? Because if you did, you would know you shouldn’t mess with me,” Soohyun’s eyes narrowed. He took a step towards Alexander. “I’m leader of the Black Outs. Are you sure you want to mess with me?” Alexander grinned, reaching into his pocket to send a call for Eli. If this guy was their leader, he probably didn’t play fair.

                “Leader of the prestigious Black Outs,” he drawled. “Wow. Am I supposed to be impressed? You know, you’d think your father would’ve taught you to respect those with more power than you.” Alexander lifted a fist and let it shoot forward, stopping just before it hit his nose. He smirked at Soohyun’s dilated eyes. “You should know you don’t mess with Havoc, especially their leader. Hi, I’m Xander. It’s nice to meet the cause of all the ruckus in Seoul,” he spat.

                “Are you serious?”

                “Get out of my face. I don’t want to see you near Payton again. Do you hear me?”

-

-

-

                “What did you say to him back there? He looked pretty shaken up,” Payton said, crossing her legs as she sat on his comfy living room recliner. Alexander placed a cup of coffee onto the table in front of her, nodding as she thanked him.

                “Nothing really, just a couple of useless threats,” he said shrugging. “Now you tell me, why were you hanging out with him? Did he always act that way with you?”

                “He was always sort of on edge when he was with me. His behavior’s nothing new.” Payton felt the sofa rise than fall as he sat next to her. He was an easy guy to get along with. It was hard to believe the guy spent his Christmases alone. You’d think he’d be invited to parties or dragged to a family get-together. “Why did you choose to stay at the dorms on Christmas?”

                “It’s not like I have anywhere else to go. My parents are dead and my uncle’s off in Hawaii with his wife. Where else would I spend it? Being in this small dorm’s a lot better than being in an empty mansion, don’t you think?”

                “I guess, that’s probably why I’m here too. I don’t like being alone, but that’s what I am most of the time. Ironic, isn’t it?”

                “Every Christmas?” Payton nodded.

                “Every Christmas,” she repeated.

                “Than, why don’t you spend it with me from now on. That way, we can both be lonely together.”

                Payton stared at the steam rising from her coffee mug for a long time before turning her attention back to Alexander who was anxiously staring back at her. Although he wouldn’t dare admit it, an uneasy feeling was rising from his chest. He inwardly groaned to himself. God, if other gangs saw him like this they would’ve laughed at him. They were supposed to be emotionless killing machines but he had grown up fragile and such a thing was impossible. Being without feelings would be a sharp advantage to any gang leader. As he gazed at Payton he knew that wouldn’t be happening anytime soon. The only problem with pursuing his feelings for her was that he was risking her life to cure his lonely outlook. That wasn’t right. Extremely selfish, that’s what it was.

                “Alright, I’ll take you up on that offer. Every Christmas,” she said. Standing up from her place on the sofa, she slipped a card onto the sofa as she lifted her coat onto her shoulders. Alexander didn’t notice it though, he was too transfixed by her words. “I’ll see you tomorrow, right?”

                “Uh, r-right,” he stuttered. Payton turned away from him and cracked a grin, pleased she could make him flustered. Wasn’t that a good thing? If she was lucky . . . maybe this friendship would be something more in the future. She wouldn’t mind it.

-

-

-

One Year Later: A Week Before Christmas Eve

                Payton closed her eyes and snuggled deeper into the wool blanket. She felt arms slightly lift her body up so that there was room for another body on the sofa. “Are you tired?” came his voice.

                “Just a little,” she whispered.

                “Come here,” he commanded. Payton obliged, curling her fingers around his hand as his arm wrapped around her waist. He pulled her closer so that there was no space between his chest and her back. She could feel his breath on her hair. Everything about him was so inviting. His presence was something she had grown to cherish and for reasons she couldn’t understand she was always wishing he was next to her. “Go to sleep. I’ll wake you up later.” His arm slipped away from her but she grabbed onto it firmly and re-wrapped it around her waist.

                “Stay with me, Alexander,” she murmured drowsily.

                “You sure? You don’t . . . mind me this close to you?” Payton shook her head stubbornly. “Do you mind me this close to you?” He shifted closer, his lips barely brushing the crook of her neck. Again, Payton shook her head incessantly. She beckoned him closer and placed a hand on his neck. “Payton . . .”

                “Wake-up! Are you dreaming about him? You’re on my territory and you’re dreaming about him?! I told you a year ago, you belong to me. Not even the leader of Havoc can have you.” Her vision was blurry but as it refocused, Payton found herself in a dimly lit room. The only light in it was shining brightly in her face. Soohyun stared back at her, scowling at her dazed expression. “Are you done?”

                “W-what—“

                “Is this a little too much for you? Do I have to say it again? Alright, I will. Havoc. You’re damn best friend’s the leader of the gang. Didn’t he tell you? I guess not—“

                “He did tell me,” Payton spat, tinkering with the knot tying her wrists together. “I know everything except why the hell I’m tied up here on Christmas Eve! I have plans tonight!” Soohyun grimaced.

                “Ah, yes, your plans with Xander. I heard ” he said, pacing around her chair. “I’ll tell you what, I’ll let you go on your little date with him tonight but I can guarantee it’ll be the last time you see him alive.” His statement had its desired effect on Payton; her eyes grew bright with fear and worry. “Or, you do as I say and I’ll leave him alone,” he added.

                “You can’t touch Alexander! He’s stronger than you. He’s smarter than you. His gang’s more loyal to him. You’ll never be able to live up to his name!”

                “Shut up and make your choice. I don’t have all night and neither does your friend.”

                “. . . fine, I'll do what you want. But you have to keep your promise.”

                “Oh, I will, it’s too bad it’s your promise that’ll break him.”

-

-

-

                Alexander nervously paced around his dorm, stopping to fix his hair or dust a piece of lint off his shoulder every time he passed the mirror. He put a hand to his heart and tried to slow his breathing. His eyes always wandered to the clock by his bedside every few seconds. He was such a mess today; all because of Payton. She didn’t even know how tightly bound he was to her. It had only been a couple of hours since they had last seen each other but that short time span was enough for him to grow antsy at seeing her again. His eyes glanced up at the digital clock now reading five thirty.

                His arm shot out to grab his coat and keys while the other pulled his door shut. He didn’t want to be a second late. Tonight was going to be different than all the times they’d gone out together. Tonight, he was going to ask Payton if she wanted to be his girlfriend. There were a couple of time when he would’ve asked her but the timing just didn’t seem right. But that night, three things went wrong. Payton wasn’t smiling like she usually did, her guard was up, and she always shied away from him like he had some sort of disease. When her behavior didn’t change once he stopped his car at her dorm, he spoke.

                “Payton, what’s wrong? This whole night you’ve been acting differently. Is it something I did?” She didn’t answer, she just kept her eyes downcast, preventing him from seeing what emotion was flooding through them. “Payton?”

                “I have to go.”

                “Wait,” he ordered, taking hold of her wrist. He looked up at her with pleading eyes. “I wanted to give these to you earlier but you seemed a little preoccupied. You said you liked roses right?” His voice shook with sadness and most of all fear. He didn’t want this date to end up worsening their relationship. If anything he wanted to make it something more. His eyes kept darting from place to place, the motion stopping him from shedding tears. Was it him that was keeping her away? He handed her the bouquet of blood red roses and solemnly watched as she left, muttering a small goodbye. God, what did he do?!

                His car stood idle at the front of her dorm long after she’d disappeared behind the doors. He slammed his head into the steering wheel, crushing the leather between his fingertips. An anguished yell escaped from his mouth. Someone had finally stepped out of the shadows and walked into his life. He wasn’t going to let them go just like that. A deep breath left his mouth, his hand hovering over the door handle. Before he could leave his car he heard the click of another door open. Payton stepped out of her dorm, the roses he had just given her in tow. He watched her movements. She slowly walked to the edge of the sidewalk than tossed the flowers into a trash bin. His heart clenched tightly. What was going on? Just a few days ago he was sure she felt the same way. Had he made a mistake?

                If that hadn’t made him feel worse, than what unfolded next did. A red Ferrari pulled up in front of the dorm and out stepped Shin Soohyun, primped in simple jeans and tight fitting T-shirt. As soon as her door opened, they embraced just like a couple would. That was the straw that broke the camel’s back. He flung his door open and stormed towards them, stopping dead in his tracks when Soohyun planted a kiss on her lips. He took a step back and rushed back to his car before they could notice him. Alexander drove off, a sliver of liquid falling from his stinging eyes. If only he’d taken a step closer, he would’ve noticed the tear-streak along Payton’s face. If he’d taken a better look he would’ve seen how tight Soohyun’s forceful grip was. If he’d seen clearer maybe he would’ve noticed long ago how much Payton really cared for him. But he didn’t. He didn’t see any of those things. He only saw the girl he loved in the arms of another man.

-

-

-

 

                Black. White. There was no grey, just the bland colors. His fists were pounded raw from the time he’d spent slamming them into his mirror. That was seven years of bad luck. Maybe all of this was happening because a higher power just didn’t want him to be happy. Yesterday was the worst. Nothing was worse than that feeling. Nothing.

                “Hyung! What happened to your hand?! What the hell happened here?” Eli ran into the room, eyes agape at the heavy damage. Alexander stared emotionlessly at him, clenching and unclenching his bleeding fist. “Xander! What the hell? Was there a fight? Was it Black Out? Hyung, tell me!”

                “I’m done.”

                “What do you mean you’re done?!”

                “I’m done with everything.”

                “Alexander, stop! Where are you going?! HYUNG!”

                Students stopped to stare at the blood dripping onto the ground from his fist, but most were too frightened to approach. The crimson was too hard to ignore. The sound of Eli’s footsteps grew frantic, trying to catch up with him. When Alexander reached the photography department his eyes zeroed in on Soohyun with his arm wrapped around Payton’s waist, smiling at her without a care in the world. Correction: this was the straw that broke the camel’s back. He didn’t care that his fist was bleeding. He didn’t care about everyone’s eyes on him. She was all he cared about and she was with him.

                Alexander grabbed hold of the collar of Soohyun’s shirt, tugging it forward. The force pulled the unsuspecting boy right into his fist. Another blow to his face still wasn’t enough for Alexander. The pain was still there. He his hand out again but it was blocked by his forearm. He was shoved back before being tackled to the ground, Soohyun retaliating against him. Alexander hoisted his body upwards, rolling their bodies over so he could slam his knee to his stomach and send another punch in his direction. All he saw was red at this point.

                “Alexander, stop it! This is too public! Stop!”

                “You have to stop. You’re attracting too much attention!”

                “No, let him continue because even if he beats me to death, he still won’t have Payton.”

                That statement earned Soohyun another punch to the face, this blow finally knocking him out. Alexander lifted his fist again, but he was stopped this time by the familiar feeling of her hands. Both hands of hers, weren’t big enough to enclose his whole fist but Alexander couldn’t bring himself to let another punch lose. He was so exhausted; his mind was already in shambles. He didn’t know what was going on anymore.

-

-

-

 

                “Stop moving! That’s it, someone hold him down! God, it’s only antiseptic. Calm down!”

                “Alexander,” her voice whispered. “Calm down.” His movements slowed to a halt.

                “Whoa! How’d you manage that? He’s actually staying still.”

                “Eli, could you go for a second. I think Alexander and I need to talk.”

                He heard the door click shut but he couldn’t bring himself to look at her. He was so embarrassed. She saw him lose control and almost beat someone to death. Since that someone was a person who she had kissed that probably lowered his chances of being with her. He was such a screw-up. No. Wait. He wasn’t the screw up. He was doing everything right. He bought her favorite flowers, took her on a date, didn’t force anything on her, didn’t say anything when she wasn’t being fair. She was in the wrong not him. Alexander was suddenly so filled with anger he unconsciously began to tighten his fists again. As he did, the motion elicited the wound to open again, the bandage instantly stained red.

                “You’re bleeding again,” she stated, reaching out for his hand. He yanked it away from her and lowered his glare.

                “Don’t touch me.” Payton flinched at the harshness in his voice. Alexander hopped off the kitchen counter and strode away from her. But Payton was stubborn and she didn’t let him get far before she was standing in front of him with her arms crossed.

                “Why?”

                “Why? You’re honestly asking me that?”

                “Do you hear anything else coming from my mouth?”

                “Yeah, I do. Bull,” he spat.

                “Alexander—“

                “What do you want me to tell you, Payton? Do you want me to tell you how sorry I am for punching your boyfriend’s face? Well, I’m not sorry and I don’t regret it either. I don’t want to talk to you right now.”

                “And what exactly did I do to make you so upset?”

                “You’re really asking? Should I list everything out for you?”

                “Just tell me,” she hissed.

                “I took you on a date. I gave you roses and you tossed them in the trash right afterwards!” Payton’s eyes flashed with confusion.  “You don’t give a damn about my feelings do you? Just tell me the truth, spare my feelings! You wanted to make me this way so you could get information out of me to tell Soohyun, right? You were just playing with my feelings weren’t you?!”

                “No, that’s not true!”

                “Bull—“

                “I just . . . I just thought maybe I could protect you for once! He said he was going to kill you and I couldn’t let him do it. Alexander, you don’t get any of it! I care for you, a lot! But it’s so frustrating because you never notice how I feel. I’ve been waiting for you to ask me on a date for a year now! And—“

                “So, this all happened because I didn’t ask you out sooner?! Oh, so making sure you felt the same way wasn’t the right thing to do?! Then what should I have done, Payton?! Tell me, what I should do! Should I have kissed you a year ago that Christmas?! Or maybe I should have planted one on you on New Year’s when you told me you wanted someone to kiss you! Which one was the better option? Tell me, oh great Payton—“

                “Now,” she interrupted.

                “What?”

                “Kiss me now.”

                His mouth opened with words still hanging from their argument. But he had been waiting so long . . . his eyes traveled from her firm gaze to her lips, the look in his eyes unknowingly softening. His bruised knuckles ran across her cheekbones, then down her neck just resting there. Alexander pulled her closer and let his lips fall naturally on hers. Soft and so right. That’s what it felt like. He slanted his head to the right and moved his free hand to her waist to bring her closer. Payton didn’t object to his movements, in fact, she was enjoying every second of it. She kissed him back tenderly, resting her hands on his chest.               

                Payton pulled away first from lack of air and rested her head on his broad shoulder. Alexander was trying to wrap his mind around the whole thing but managed to stay calm at the situation and nestle his head into her hair. They stood there holding each other, just enjoying the unique warmth the one opposite of them could only give. A one year wait wasn’t bad, if this was the result, Payton thought, softly smiling into the crook of his neck. Not bad at all . . .

-

-

-

 

A/N: Well, here it is. Merry Christmas! To LittleMissSunshine, I hope you enjoy it. It is 2:43 in the morning here and I told myself I wouldn’t sleep until I posted this. Tell me what you thought. ;D