1.5.

Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

It took a lot of time to start this story, only because I wanted to try something new. I had a couple of ideas and storylines, but I wanted to focus on two main elements from the song: eyes and time. I also wanted to use Dongwoo for this story because he's the member I think of when I listen to this song. Probably because of his amazing rap. And probably because I'm Dongwoo biased. (: Oh, and just in case it's confusing, italics is the past and normal is the present. I hope you enjoy the first part of this story. Stay tune for the next chapter!

-------------------//---------------------

He had an important dance competition that day, and he was running late. When he got to the location of the competition, he quickly ran into a random room and locked the door from inside before pulling his clothes off. He noticed a slight movement from the corner of his eyes, and when he turned to look, he found a girl about his age staring wide-eyed at his body. He screamed in surprise and tripped on a chair before he landed -first on the cold tiled floor.

He attempted to pull his stage outfit on, but his body seemed to lose all sense of coordination. He awkwardly crossed his arms against his chest to cover what he could.

“Who are you?” she asked, still staring. (All the staring was making him embarrassed.)

“I’m here with my crew. You?” He was on a mission to get his clothes on properly.

“I’m waiting for my sister. She’s competing too.”

When he succeeded on pulling his shirt on, he quickly got up and faced the other way to fix his pants. He checked the clock on the wall and realized he was over ten minutes late. “Dang it! I’m really late. I’m Dongwoo by the way,” he called out as he ran backwards to the door, waving as he went. He realized her eyes never left the place he was just standing at, but he didn’t have the time to ponder upon that as he said his last good-byes and ran to the stage.

---//---

He tries to tell her to stop kidding around, but she just shakes her head. None of this makes sense to him. Her expressions, her actions, her eyes. They all seem foreign to him at the moment.

“I’m serious, Dongwoo. Let’s break up.” She pulls her arm out of Dongwoo’s grasp.

He tries to grab her hand this time and doesn’t let go even when she tries to pull away. “Please. Please I beg you. Don’t leave me.”

She hears the desperation in his voice, and she knows she’s breaking his heart.

“I can’t live with this anymore! I need to forget you if I want to move on with my life! Don’t you get it?” She’s screaming now. Her body makes its way to the floor as she grabs her head in between her hands.

“Don’t say that! Don’t lie to me.”

“I’m not lying,” she whispers, her words muffled by her knees on which her head is resting on.

“No, you’re lying.”

“And how can you tell?”

“I can tell by your eyes.”

She scoffs. “I’m blind, Dongwoo.”

“It doesn’t mean your eyes don’t tell me anything! They tell me everything. More than you do sometimes.” He crouches on the floor in front of her.

---//---

“Man, we did great up there! All those long night practices paid off, right Dongwoo?” Howon swung an arm over Dongwoo as they walked back to the dressing room. The rest of the crew was running up behind them, all chattering loudly and congratulating each other for winning first prize.

Dongwoo suddenly remembered the girl he met earlier today, so he told his best friend that he’d catch up with the crew at the restaurant later for their congratulatory party. He ran to the dressing room, only to find it empty. Disappointed, he changed back to his original outfit and left the room. He somehow found his way to the main lobby of the building by following the crowd, and as he started walking out the grand doors he caught a glimpse of that girl.

He didn’t know why, but he wanted to go and ask that girl for her name. He wanted to tell her of his good news, but he recognized her sister as the girl who cursed loudly and stomped off stage when the results of the competition came out. Suddenly, he didn’t really feel like going up to her.

Glancing down at his watch, Dongwoo realized he was going to be late to dinner, so he gave up on trying to approach the girl and called a taxi over and was soon on his way to the restaurant.

---//---

Dongwoo gets up to leave, and he tells her that he’ll be back to pick her up for lunch tomorrow. “And I don’t want to hear you say anything about breaking up okay. Just sleep on it or something.” He’s determined not to let her go. He turns the lights off on his way out. The world is already a pit of darkness to her. Having the lights on makes absolutely no difference to her.

She’s been living on her own for a while now, leaving the comfort of her parents’ home, but Dongwoo can’t help but feel uneasy whenever he leaves her house. He makes sure his phone is charged before he gets in bed, just in case something does happen.

He doesn’t want to be so clingy and needy, but there is just so much he still wants to do with her and so many things he has to tell her. They’ve been dating for just over two years now, and Dongwoo has made sure every day was special. Or at least to him every day has been special. He just couldn’t imagine his life without her.

The next day, he’s at her doorstep by 11:30 am. He knocks on the door like every other time he’s been to her house, and unlike before, there is no response. She does not come running to the door like always. Thinking she might be still asleep, he rings the doorbell, but still no response. He lifts the flower pot next to the door only to find the spare key missing. He picks up on the fact that she does not want to meet him whatsoever.

She can’t be serious about breaking up. Right?

---//---

By the time he reached the restaurant, everyone was already there.

“Hey, I just ordered for you. You okay with that?” Howon said as Dongwoo took a sit next to him. Dongwoo nodded and took a sip from Howon’s coke.

“Since when was this restaurant so popular?” Dongwoo took a look around the place and found not a single empty table. This had been the place him and his group came to every time they were hungry after practices. Hoya shrugged and turned to his other side to join in a different conversation.

Dongwoo searched the place again. He observed that the restaurant was going through minor renovations like change in wallpaper or lighting. As he scanned the room, he recognized the face of the girl from earlier that day. He saw her sister sitting next to her. It seemed like they were eating alone.

The girl’s sister picked up the chopsticks and placed them carefully into the girl’s hand. The girl, who had a perfectly sculpted face with incredible eyes, was staring blankly out the window. She held the chopsticks in one hand and reached out for her cup of water with the other, but she miscalculated the distance between herself and the cup and knocked over the cup, spilling the water all over the table. Her sister quickly grabbed some napkins and wiped up the mess before gently scolding her sister.

“Haneul, I told you to reach out for things lightly. You are just like dad. Overpowered with strength,” her sister said, still wiping up water. Luckily the water was dripping down on the other side of the table.

He felt Howon poke his side. “She’s pretty, eh?”

Something still seemed a little out of place. She was sitting there quietly, still holding on to her chopsticks.

“Seems like she’s blind.”

That’s what was a little odd about her behavior. That’s what it was.

---//---

Dongwoo knows she’s not at home. She was never good at intentionally ignoring people, so she had a habit of going away to somewhere if she wanted to avoid somebody, usually him.

He thinks of all the places she usually goes to. Sister’s home, bookstore, café, park. The café is closest, so he starts there. Once he gets there and doesn’t see her, he calls her sister.

“Is Haneul with you?”

He knows Haneul’s older sister, Hana, can’t lie to him only because Hana is best friends with his sister. (Dongwoo’s sister hates it when people lie.) “No. Why? Did you guys fight again?”

“Something like that. Alright. Thanks.” After he hangs up, he checks the bookstore and park, but he can’t find her anywhere. Then suddenly, he remembers her talking about wanting to go to his practice room to watch him practice. Or just be there as he practices.

He quickly runs to the dance studio he uses with his group, and there she is, sitting on the couch.

“What are you doing here?” he asks.

She’s surprised that he found her but doesn’t let her emotions show through her face. “Just because. You never brought me here, so I invited myself.”

He sits next to her and unconsciously places an arm on the back of the couch above her shoulders. “Okay, well you could’ve told me or something. I searched everywhere for you.” A slight exaggeration, yes.

“I didn’t want you to find me.”

“Why are you suddenly acting like this?”

“I told you. I’m tired of living as your girlfriend.”

It hurts even more than yesterday to hear those words. “And why’s that?”

“I’m sure you’re tired of me being your girlfriend too. There’s nothing I’ve done for you these last couple of years.”

“You don’t have to do anything. Just stay by my side.”

“I’m sure you want a girlfriend who can watch you practice and tell you how good you are. Or go to competitions with you and cheer you on. Or someone who can pick out an outfit for you to wear.”

“Is that what all this about? Don’t be ridiculous. I only need you.”

“No. No, you deserve someone a lot better. I better get going. Bye.” She stands up to leave, and something about her expression tells him that he better not follow her this time. But he’s sure he’ll regret it if he doesn’t run after her, so he does. By the time he reacts and runs outside, she’s already out of sight.

To be continued.