3.

Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

He will probably never know. No, Minah was sure he would never find out about how she felt.

Most people might find it creepy and almost stalker-like, but Minah found it completely normal. She liked to follow him around. You know, just to make sure he was safe and happy. She had no courage to ever walk up to him and start a conversation, and she was satisfied with just making sure he was okay.

He was an angel from heaven, precisely crafted by the hands of God. He was the last of four children from one of the richest families in all of South Korea, but, as rumors say, he pleaded with his parents to let him attend a regular, public school. As top in their class, Woohyun was the student body president and also held the position as the captain of the basketball team. Not only that, he also gained much of his popularity for being the lead singer of the school band, Infinite. He was as sweet and charming as a prince, and Minah knew he was way out of her league.

So she resorted to watching him from afar.

Her friends kept trying to persuade her to take a chance and confess to him.

“What’s the worst that could happen? If he does reject you, you can go back to stalking him like always, but at least you’ll know you gave it a try.” That’s what they said, but Minah still didn’t want to risk it. She liked him too much.

They would never know the real reason why she liked Woohyun so much. He might not remember, but they were friends when they were younger. Her family had been just as rich as his were, and their parents were good friends when the two high-schoolers were once pre-schoolers.

One day, while at their play date, Woohyun started plucking flowers from the garden at the park.

“For you, Minah! I picked only the prettiest ones for you!” he exclaimed as he pushed the small bouquet into her hands.

“I don’t think you’re allowed to pick flowers from here,” she said quietly as she tried to plant them back.

“Oh.” He stood there, watching her as she tried to get the flowers to stay standing in the dirt, but he plucked all the flowers out of the ground. “Just take it. It’ll be our secret!” He laughed as he pulled her away from the garden, thinking it would be enough to prevent people from finding out the truth about the missing flowers.

“One day, Minah, I promise I’ll buy you a big bouquet full of flowers you like!”

“Pinky promise?” She stuck out her pinky. Woohyun quickly wrapped his pinky around hers.

“I promise!”

Ever since then, Minah believed they would grow up together and fall in love and get married, but her dreams were crushed when her parent’s business failed. Woohyun’s parents tried to help as much as they could but to no avail. The best the Nam couple could do was to set up a smaller business for their close friends.

Woohyun left Minah’s side to go to a private school, and they had lost touch since then. The first day of high school, she was surprised to see the Woohyun sitting in her class. He looked up at her and gave her his trademark smile, and she felt her heart beat faster than it ever had before. She was ecstatic that Woohyun had remembered her through all these years was left utterly disappointed when he stood up and greeted a classmate who happened to be standing behind her.

And that’s when she decided she wouldn’t approach him. She couldn’t. She didn’t want to hear from him that he could not remember her. She didn’t want to let herself get hurt by him more than necessary.

---//---

All that changed when one day, he approached Minah.

“Hey, Minah, right?” he asked, with that flirty smile. Minah felt her face heat up and tried to scold herself for acting like such a fool.

“Yeah.”

“You dropped something earlier in class. I didn’t get a chance to give it to you before.” He held out her cell phone charm which was in the shape of a small bouquet.

“Oh, thanks.” She took it from him, gingerly, trying to avoid skin contact as much as possible. She turned to walk away briskly, separating herself from the embarrassing but thrilling experience of talking to Woohyun, but she could hear Woohyun jogging to catch up to her.

“You like flowers?” He was obviously trying to keep the conversation flowing, and she didn’t want to come out as rude.

“Yes. I’ve always liked flowers.”

“Me too. I actually have a friend who has the same name as you and likes flowers too! What a coincidence.” She whipped her head around to look at him. He had a nostalgic smile lingering at his lips as he continued to walk down the hall.

So he did remember her. Just didn’t recognize her.

“Really? What is she like?” She wanted to find out more about what Woohyun thought about her before telling him the truth.

“Well, I don’t remember too much about her, honestly. We were friends when we were little, and I haven’t seen her since I moved away. I remember I promised her that I would buy her a beautiful bouquet when we got older, just like the one on your cell phone but bigger.” He nodded in the direction of her hands which held tightly onto the cell phone charm. The bell, the warning signal of the next class, rung, and the two exchanged hasty good-byes as they went to their respective classes.

Trying to avoid getting caught slipping into class late, Minah tried to sneak in as stealthily as possible. But the thought of Woohyun popped up and she walked right into her desk, causing a great commotion of noise. She doesn’t even remember what happened the rest of the day; she only thought about Woohyun.

Throughout the year, it felt like Woohyun kept trying to start small-talk and whatnot. If they were in the same room but in different parts, he would jog over even if it was just to say hi. When she was walking home alone, he would walk with her, saying it was dangerous for a girl to walk alone. If she happened to be sitting alone at lunch, he would bring his tray of food over and eat with her. Instances like these didn’t help Minah’s poor heart.

---//---

January 19

Minah woke up to find a blanket of snow, twinkling under the bright sunlight. For a split second, she freaked out. “Why is it so bright outside? Crap! I’m going to be late for school.” But then she realized it was (finally) the weekend. She had a week of testing, and she needed to catch up on her sleep.

She went back to sleep, and a couple hours later she got out of her bed lazily as she pulled on something to wear because the air had been cooled by all that snow. She heard her stomach growl and decided to scavenge through the kitchen and pantry to look for something to eat.

On the kitchen table, she found a note from her parents saying they would be out for the day and to please buy some groceries. As an only child, she would be home alone, but she was okay with that. She needed some peace and quiet anyways.

After a short breakfast of cereal and milk, she went to quickly get ready to go out. She decided she would do some window shopping while getting some groceries. She needed to reward herself for surviving the test week somehow.

When she opened the door, she could hear scuffling noises, as if someone was running behind a corner to avoid being seen. She found it a little suspicious but hesitantly walked out anyways. She made sure the door was locked and that the pepper spray Woohyun bought her was in her purse. As she walked down the apartment building, she could hear footsteps behind her, which walked when she did and stopped when she stopped. She made a dash for the supermarket, hoping the crowd of people will scare the unknown person away.

Much to her disappointment, not many people were at the grocery story. She was out of breath and on the verge of being kidnapped. Today was not her day, she decided. She pulled out her phone and was about to call Woohyun when she heard someone call out her name.

“Minah!”

She turned around and couldn’t find anyone. That definitely sounded like Woohyun. Maybe I am hearing things now.

“Minah!” She heard someone call again. This time she walked around, trying to find whoever was calling her. From behind the aisle of chips and other snacks, Woohyun popped out of nowhere.

“Surprise!”

Minah let out a small yelp of surprise, but she was so relieved he was here now. “I was just going to call you! Actually, someone has been following me, and I was getting really scared,” she said in a hushed voice.

“What? Oh, wait. Actually that was me.” He smiled a little embarrassedly and scratched the back of his neck. “I had something I wanted to give you, and all of a sudden you started running. You are a really fast runner. Have you thought about joining the track team?”

She shook her head. “What was it that you wanted to give me?”

“Oh. Well. It’s nothing really.” He went back to the aisle he came from and held something behind his back. “Close your eyes.”

She covered her eyes with her hands to prove him that she really wasn’t looking.

She heard some plastic crinkling and then Woohyun telling her to open her eyes now. When she opened her eyes, she saw a combination of carnations, tulips, liles, and roses, all of a pale, pastel pink color, aesthetically wrapped up.

“What—How—Wait, what is this?”

She saw a note sticking out from the flowers.

I made a promise. Real men don’t break promises.

P.S I like you. I’ve always liked you.

She took the flowers from him, gave them a good sniff, and ran into Woohyun’s arms.

“Dummy. Why didn’t you tell me earlier? You’ve become so beautiful I didn’t even recognize you were my Minah!”

“How did you find out?” she asked, her voice muffled by his clothes. He leaned down and kissed her forehead lightly.

“I’m not that dense, silly. The supermarket was probably not the best place to do this,” he chuckled. People had been giving them weird looks, but who cares? Minah could now officially say that she was and will probably always be the happiest girl on the face of the planet.

“I really, really like you.”

-------------------//---------------------

I feel like everytime I update, I'm apologizing to you guys. Well, school is almost over which means I will have more time to write!! I was actually going to use "She's Back" for Woohyun's story, but I didn't like where the story was going. So I switched over to "I Like You." If you haven't heard the song already, it's from their new mini album Infinitize, and it's a really cute song! I am absolutely in love with "Chaser" right now! It is so addicting... Anywho... Hope you enjoyed the story! Oh, and this story is dedicated to my Woohyun-loving biffle. You know who you are <3