Cherish

I Write Drabbles, Not Stories

Write Like the Wind [Challenge]

Prompt 8: Cherish

Pairing: Donghae/Tiffany


“Haemi-ah, it’s time for bed!”

“But Mommy, I have to study some more!”

Miyoung smiled at how hardworking her daughter was. “It’s late, sweetie; besides, the words are pretty easy, aren’t they?”

“I’m trying to spell them without looking now,” Haemi put a hand over her eyes and made a pouty face. “Mommy, read the first word for me!!”

Deciding it was completely useless to argue with her stubborn daughter--who had acquired the very trait from her father--, Miyoung picked up the spelling sheet and read off the first word.

“Love.”

“Mmm,” Haemi’s concentrated expression contorted quickly into one of utter confusion. “I don’t know!”

Miyoung gently removed Haemi’s hand from her eyes. “It’s okay, the test isn’t over a week!”

“Mommy, how do you spell love?” Haemi asked curiously, cocking her head to the side adorably.

Miyoung thought for a minute, trying to conjure up a proper answer. Then, she came up with one.

“You don’t spell love; you feel it.”

-----

They first met at SNSD’s debut celebration party, held in one of SM’s practice rooms, put together by the fabulous Kim Heechul himself. She was very outgoing and bubbly and mingled with all the artists, getting to know each and everyone one of them in a matter of minutes, befriending many. He was a bit shy, still not accustomed to such lively parties. He stuck close to Hyukjae, Sungmin, and Kibum.

She came up to him first, with the brightest of smiles, and an even brighter eye-smile to match. “Hi, I’m Tiffany! I don’t think we’ve met yet!”

He mustered a small smile back. “Donghae, Lee Donghae.”

“Donghae? That’s a pretty cool name! East Sea?”

Donghae chuckled lightly, “Yeah, East Sea. So is yours. It sounds American.”

She laughed; it was beautiful, he thought. “It’s because it is. I’m from America, like Sica. I think you know her, right? She talks to me a lot about you.”

He didn’t know what to say. He stared at her in awe, fascinated with the way she talked and the way her eyes kept turning into perfect crescents. Everything about her amazed him.

“Donghae?”

He snapped back to reality. “S-Sorry, what?”

She giggled; it was somehow, more beautiful. “I was just saying it was nice to finally meet you. Sica really likes you, I think.”

“Oh, does she?”

“You sound like you don’t care much.” she observed rather quickly.

“No, it’s not like that.” he laughed to ease the mood. “Jessica’s a cool girl and all, but my hyung obviously has a thing for her, so I wouldn’t wanna intrude.”

“Hm, you’re a pretty nice guy, Lee Donghae.” the corners of her lips twitched up.

“And you’re an interesting girl, Tiffany.”

“Miyoung; call me Miyoung.”

He frowned. “Is that your real name?”

She nodded. “Normally, I don’t like people using that name for me, but...I’d like it if you called me Miyoung.”

“Miyoung?”

“Hwang Miyoung.”

He gave her a charming grin and took her hand in his. She seemed surprised at this gesture. He shook her hand firmly and didn’t let go.

“It’s nice to meet you, Hwang Miyoung. I’m Lee Donghae.”

-----

They became good friends afterwards, engaging in all the typical things friends did together. They shared ice cream on hot summer days, completed each other’s sentences, cheered each other on at music programs and shows, stayed up late talking to each other on the phone, and most importantly, they would cherish the other person with all their heart.

She genuinely cared for him, and he truly grew fond of being with her. If he was sick, she would call in an instant to make sure he was okay, if she didn’t have the time to actually be by his side. If he was hurt, whether it was emotionally or physically, she would be hurt, too. He enjoyed every single moment he was with her, regardless of what they were doing. Sometimes, they did fun things, like sneaking off to the amusement park and riding the rollercoasters until they were sick and threw up their lunches. Most of the time, they had to settle for a quick bite at a café or a few minutes at his or her dorm, but nothing changed--they liked being in the other’s presence.

That was all they were, good friends--until Donghae got the biggest wake-up call of his life, when Miyoung told him she was in love.

“How can you be in love? You’re--you’re too young!”

“One cannot define love by age!” she retorted hotly.

“But Miyoungie!” he whined.

“Why are you so upset anyway?”

He didn’t respond immediately, because she had asked an excellent question.

“...I don’t know.”

“Very intelligent answer, Donghae,” she rolled her eyes on the other line.

“Whatever,” he grumbled. “So are you going to tell me who you love?”

“...Nah.”

“What do you mean, nah?”

“I’m not gonna tell you.”

“Why not?”

“Bye, Donghae!”

“Wait!”

She had hung up.

-----

“Am I going insane?”

“Yes.”

“I mean, as a friend, I’m obligated to know who she’s in love with, right?”

“Sure, Donghae.”

“Then why isn’t she telling me?”

“Who knows?”

“I should know this stuff! Right? Hyukjae?”

Hyukjae glared darkly. “Some of us are trying to sleep, Donghae. That’s what human beings do, at two in the morning. They don’t harass their best friends about their potential interest in a girl.”

“What potential interest?” Donghae spluttered. “For Miyoung?”

“Dude, you’re over-thinking this all. I think that means you love her, or at least like her a lot.” Hyukjae pulled the blankets over his face. “Now, get out and annoy Heechul with your problems.”

“But--”

“Out! Don’t come back until you’re sure about your goddamned feelings, because I’m tired.”

“...Hyukjae?”

“What?” the blonde boy snarled, throwing the blankets off.

“Um, never mind. I’ll ask you in the morning.” Donghae said in a soft, sheepish voice.

“Good.”

-----

“Hwang Miyoung!”

The girl felt someone grab her arm. “Oh, you.”

“Yeah, me,” Donghae grinned.

“Why are you grinning like that?” Miyoung stared at Donghae with suspicious eyes.

“I figured out who you’re in love with.”

“You did?”

He breathed in deeply. “It’s me, isn’t it?”

She sighed, seemingly bored. “You, huh?”

“Yeah, I thought about it a lot, and I came to the conclusion that it has to be me, otherwise you would have no problem telling me who the guy is.”

“You,” her face broke out into what he believed to be the most gorgeous smile ever, “Are pretty smart.”

“So I’m right?”

“You’re one hundred percent correct.” Miyoung smiled.

“I think you should have told me sooner.” he smiled back, lacing his fingers with hers.

“Why?” she pouted.

Donghae’s smile grew. “So I wouldn’t have wasted my time feeling stupid.”

“About what, exactly?”

“You.”

-----

Haemi blinked. “Mommy, was the guy in your story Daddy?”

“Yes, he is,” Miyoung sighed dreamily.

“But Mommy?”

“What?”

“How do you spell love?”

“...Haemi-ah, it’s time for you to go to bed.”

“Mommy, what about this second word?” Haemi stomped her foot obstinately. “It’s the only other word here I can’t remember!”

“Cherish?” Miyoung read.

“Yeah, what about that word?”

“I think...you should ask Daddy tomorrow.”

Haemi reluctantly let her mother tuck her into bed, once she was promised that she would be able to practice her words the next day.

“Goodnight, Haemi.”

“Goodnight, Mommy. I love you!”

“I love you and cherish you.”

“What does that mean?” Haemi wondered aloud.

“It means I care about you more than anything.” Miyoung explained tenderly.

“...But Mommy, what about Daddy?”

Miyoung shut the door resolutely; Donghae would study with her from now on.


Note: WHOO THE FLUFF IN THIS! ACK. Maybe I'll write angst later. But I liked this, I thought it was cute. I liked making cranky!Hyukjae. Heehe.

My next drabble shall be MyungBer [Myungsoo/Amber] for one of my beloved unnies. And after that will be a SeoKyu one, birthday present for another unnie. Just letting you guys know. Thanks for reading as always!

I might let you guys request later. Might. :)