Promises Kept [Final]

I Write Drabbles, Not Stories

Pairing: Hyoyeon/Hyukjae

Note: WOW, thanks for the comments, everyone! :) It took me a while to post this 'cause I was editing this part. The ending got super fluffy and I took out a kiss scene (DON'T KILL ME; I ADDED A DIFFERENT KISS SCENE) and yeah, I just had to make some major changes. Lately, I've been cringing at how incredibly fluffy some of my stuff is. I also cut out some unnecessary SuGen banter. I went a bit overboard, hehe. XD Anyways, I'll post more drabbles/oneshots in the future! HyoHyuk hwaiting! And this is a really random side-thought, but does anyone else love HyoHae friendship like me? ;__;


After that spectacular catastrophe, I left Seoul; I left the whole of Korea behind.

I never kept in contact with anyone from the wedding, the girls included, which broke my heart. I tried to be strong, like they would want me to be. No one came looking for me--or maybe they just couldn’t find me. I moved to Paris, because it was a city that reminded me of happier times. I shared an apartment with a sweet girl I met, named Alice. She was a bright, cheerful girl, who was born and raised in America, but came to France to study.

She never prodded me about where I came from; I appreciated that.

I wrote letters to my parents every month; I knew it wasn’t fair to them to have their only daughter leave without a word and then seemingly disappear from the face of the Earth. However, my third year living in Paris and working as a dance instructor at the most prestigious art academy, I stopped writing letters, telling my parents I was fine and not to worry.

I had grown up, after all.

Alice left the apartment to do some grocery shopping, leaving me to randomly surf the Internet. I came across a Korean article and stopped to read.

It claimed that Kim Hyoyeon was dead.

The article went into detail about a lot of outrageous stuff, like how my death itself was a mystery, and it included quotes from representatives at SM and my family. There was a picture of me from my younger idol years, wearing a pretty white dress, surrounded by the rest of SNSD.

The dress from the wedding.

This was perfect.

Everyone I cared about would believe I was dead. Now there was absolutely no chance of finding me and forcing me to face the past.

My phone vibrated from my bed and I walked over, glancing at the number.

It was a Korean one.

I considered my options, but decided to answer it in the end, in French.

“Hello?”

Dial tone; whoever it was had hung up.

-----

A week later, I was in my usual café early in the morning for my cup of coffee and my blueberry muffin. When I had finished eating, I thanked the owner of the café, who by now knew me pretty well. He just chuckled and patted my head in a fatherly way. I slung my messenger bag over my shoulder and exited the establishment, beginning my short walk to the academy. It was a particularly beautiful day for April; usually, it rained.

The streets also seemed to be more crowded than usual, but I dismissed that. It was probably just tourists or something. I cut through a bustling market and took the shortcut. It was dark and damp. I had my head down and walked cautiously through the puddles of murky water.

Then I heard the footsteps behind me.

They were quiet, but they were there.

I stopped and the footsteps stopped too.

Was it just all in my head?

Gathering up all the courage and bravery I had built up over my years of solitude, I turned around, slowly, dreading the worst.

No one.

I sighed; so I was hearing things, then.

“I’m being stupid,” I said aloud to myself in Korean.

The language sounded so foreign to my ears. But I still remembered it. I simply could never forget it, no matter how hard I attempted to.

“It's you.”

My muscles became stiff and I couldn’t move. A tall figure revealed himself from behind a concealed pillar I didn’t see before. How could I not notice?

“Donghae?” I paled.

“Hyoyeon,” he said, sure of himself.

He smiled and stepped forward. “We’ve been looking for you for so long; there’s so much to tell you. Where do I even begin?”

“We?” I frowned.

“Me, Hyukjae, all of Super Junior and SNSD--we didn’t believe for a second that you were dead. We pretended to so the public wouldn’t suspect anything strange that could have happened behind the scenes, causing you to leave. We all met up the other day, when Jessica announced that she may have found your number. She had some cousin in France or something.”

I did all I could to keep up with his rapid Korean; I wasn’t used to it. “Alice?”

Donghae squinted. “Who? Oh, Sica’s cousin? Yeah, I guess that’s her name. But anyways, Kyuhyun called you because Hyukjae’s such a wimp. Even though you weren’t speaking Korean, he knew.”

“Hyukjae?” I let his name roll off my tongue.

“He knew, Hyoyeon, he knew it was you.” Donghae beamed, proud.

I opened my mouth, but no words came out.

“Kyuhyun and Kibum together figured out your number was a Parisian number. Sunny blabbed to her uncle, and we thought we were done for, but he actually chartered a private plane for us, in secret, of course.”

“All of you,” my eyes were wide, “Everyone came?”

“All twenty-four of us,” Donghae chuckled jovially. “Well, twenty-three. The only one missing was you.”

I refused to accept this. “But wait, what about Ti--”

“We told her everything after you vanished.” Donghae was still smiling. “Jessica did, anyway. No one cried more than her that night.”

I started to smile with him.

“Except maybe Hyukjae. He’s still a crybaby, don’t worry.” Donghae winked, causing me to laugh. “Tiffany thinks it’s all her fault. So she and Hyukjae both agreed to have a divorce, and I think it’s safe to say that it was the happiest divorce ever.”

“What? She loved him!” I protested.

“She always cared about you more than some stupid boy,” Donghae made air quotes. “Besides, she has me now!”

“You’re awful!” I burst out into laughter.

“I may be awful, but can I get a hug?”

“Yes, you can,” I walked into his open arms.

And I felt so much closer to home.

-----

“Let’s surprise everyone,” Donghae whispered as we crept through the hallways.

I surveyed all of the doors. “Did you guys rent out the entire floor or something?”

He shrugged, not hiding his grin. “You know how crazy it gets when we’re all together.”

I rolled my eyes. “Right.”

“Come on,” he tugged on my arm and pulled me along.

“I don’t think I’m ready to see him yet.” I stopped in the middle of the hallway.

“He’s been an absolute wreck without you, Hyoyeon.” Donghae looked desperate. “He’s my best friend, and it hurt so much that I couldn’t help him take the pain away.”

I in a huge breath. “Alright, fine.”

Donghae giggled. “You were always a er for sob stories.”

“Hey!” I yelled, punching his arm.

“Shh!” he clamped his hand over my mouth, dragging me to the very end of the hall. “It’s true though.”

“Whatever.”

Donghae pointed to the last room. “Hyukjae’s in here--probably everyone is right now. They expected me to find you.”

I nodded, pressing my ear to the door. What I heard almost made me tear up, from happiness.

Heechul and Jessica were arguing, and the leaders were trying to break it up. Kyuhyun and Kibum were playing Starcraft most likely, and Seohyun was scolding Kyuhyun about the dangers gaming has on one’s mental health. Shindong complained about hunger, and Sooyoung and Yoona agreed immediately. Sooyoung was calling for Ryeowook and Hangeng to cook and the Chinese one responded that he never received any respect. Henry was strumming his guitar through all the madness. Kangin was wondering where Donghae was, clearly impatient. Sungmin and Sunny were giggling like crazy fools elsewhere, and a few others all screamed at them.

I couldn’t perceive Hyukjae, but I smiled hearing all of the other voices.

“They’re all there,” Donghae squeezed my shoulder excitedly, and maybe encouragingly, too.

“What’s the plan?” I asked.

“Just stay out here, okay?” Donghae knocked once and entered before someone could respond.

I stood right behind the door, pressing my ear to it once again.

“DONGHAE!” Twenty-three voices clamored at once.

“Where’s Hyoyeon?” Hyukjae and Tiffany.

“Did you find her?” everyone else.

“Did you get lunch?” the shikshins.

It was hushed, and I imagined Donghae looking solemn.

“She’s not here.”

“What do you mean?” Jessica screeched.

“Did he screw up?” I envisioned Sooyoung pointing an accusing finger at Kyuhyun.

“What the heck, woman? It wasn’t just me; Kibum did most of the work!”

“Woman?!”

“Ryeowook, control her!” Kyuhyun yelped, his voice becoming muffled.

I bit my tongue to prevent myself from laughing; Sooyoung was definitely strangling him.

“Sooyoung, breathe and calm down. Christians must never resort to such violence against the innocent.” Siwon preached.

“Aish, you and your religion, Siwon,” Sooyoung harrumphed.

“How is she not here?” Taeyeon asked, sounding deflated.

“She had to be here,” Tiffany’s voice cracked.

“She wasn’t--”

“You weren’t looking in the right places.” a harsh tone that could only belong to Hyukjae snapped at Donghae. “I’m looking for her myself.”

The door suddenly flew open, knocking me straight down. I let out a small shriek of shock and held my nose, which took the most impact.

“Hyoyeon,” Hyukjae looked extremely stunned.

“Thanks for that,” I shut my eyes, reeling in the pain, struggling to get up.

Twenty-two others assembled outside and gasped, gaped, and screamed in joy.

“Hyoyeon!” Tiffany said first, breaking out into tears.

Hyukjae helped me up and didn’t let go of my hand. “You’re...I can’t--”

I winced, holding on to my nose. “That really hurt, jerk.”

“YAH!” Heechul smacked his dongsaeng’s head disapprovingly. “She shows up after three years and you injure her like that? Do you seriously think she’ll take you back now?”

“I stand by Heechul,” Leeteuk joined in with a fierce glare.

“I ought to strangle this kid,” Kangin threatened.

Donghae couldn’t stop grinning. “That was my first real prank, everybody.”

At least seven Super Junior members ogled Donghae incredulously.

Jessica looked downright murderous. “Tiffany, may I brutally maim your boyfriend?”

“Go right ahead,” Tiffany glared at Donghae and proceeded to slap his arm repeatedly. “How could you? I was feeling so suicidal right then!”

Donghae whined. “Tiffany! Not in front of the guests!”

“We’re taking this inside.” Jessica shoved Donghae back into the room. “Tiffany!”

“Don’t start without me!”

“Wait, Jung Sooyeon!”

“What did I say about calling me that, Heechul?!”

“I’m sorry,” Hyukjae said sincerely.

I wasn’t sure if he was referring to hitting me with a door, being an idiot, hurting me emotionally many times, or all three.

“Forgiven,” I smiled.

“If everything is going to go according to plan, they’re about to be super mushy.” Taeyeon cleared rather loudly. “Inside, children!”

“We missed you!” Sunny embraced me tightly, and Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona, and Seohyun joined in.

“I’m sorry, you guys.” I told them.

“Just never do that again!” Sooyoung pinched my cheek.

“I’m older than you,” Leeteuk muttered to Taeyeon.

“Inside, ahjussi,” Taeyeon elbowed him.

“Glad to have you back, Hyoyeon!”

“Park Jungsu!” Taeyeon shouted, pushing him inside and giving me a wink.

The door closed once everyone made sure to give me a hug or two, and Hyukjae and I were alone.

“No one’s changed a bit,” I remarked with a long sigh.

“Hyoyeon.”

I raised an eyebrow at him.

“I don’t even know where to start.” he gripped my hands tightly.

“You don’t have to,” I dismissed. “You were being stupid, which was nothing new, and you thought that being with Tiffany would somehow make me happy.”

“That night in your room--”

“I was awake,” I smiled.

“And you’re trying to pin all the blame on me?” Hyukjae poked my nose. “You could have sprung up and stopped me!”

“Ow!” I whacked his arm. “You’ve hurt me twice now. Maybe three.”

He leaned in and kissed me on the nose. “Sorry.”

“You’re so cheesy,” I scoffed.

He laughed and pulled me into his arms, hugging me like he wouldn’t ever let me go. I put my arms around his back and he put his around mine, burying his face in my hair.

“For the record, I missed you more than anyone; whatever Donghae said was a lie.”

“Hm, I can’t say the same for me.”

Hyukjae pouted; he still couldn’t outgrow his childish ways. “Hyoyeon!”

“I’m kidding, you dummy!”

“Wanna ditch everyone so I can have you to myself?” he gave me his classic gummy grin.

“No!” I rejected. “I wanna see the others, too!”

“Why can’t I come first?”

“You dork,” I rolled my eyes, trying to sidestep him. “Move so I can get inside!”

“Wait!” he held me by the wrist. “Tell me you love me first!”

“Hilarious, Hyukjae,” I scoffed, folding my arms. “Move, now.”

“Nope, you have to say the magic words.” he smirked.

“Move out of the way or I’ll kick you where it hurts the most.”

I heard some stifled laughter from behind the door; Hyukjae’s smirk grew bigger. “Incorrect.”

“How about, move out of the way or I’ll--”

“SAY YOU LOVE HIM ALREADY!” the aggravated voices of Heechul, Kangin, Henry, Zhoumi, Tiffany, Yoona, and Sooyoung demanded.

“Are you all listening to us?” I called back.

“Well, we’re not watching you guys from this tiny peephole, if that is what you’re suggesting!”

Jessica groaned audibly. “My god, Donghae, I swear--”

“Jess, stop being mean to him!”

“Jessica, please refrain from using His name in the future in that kind of sentence.”

“Jung Jessica, stop being a hypocrite; you were watching them, too!”

“Sica, which shirt should I wear tomorrow--the pink or the white?”

“Not likely, Tiff. Sorry, Siwon. Taeyeon, leave me alone, you’re not my mom! And who’s the girl in our relationship, Kim Heechul?!”

I mumbled it quickly while Jessica was going on her tirade.

“Sorry, I’m hard of hearing.” Hyukjae put a hand behind his ear teasingly.

“You’re a brat!” I frowned.

“JUST SAY IT!” Twenty-two voices chorused.

“Alright, I love you, you jerk! Happy?”

“Close enough,” Hyukjae kissed my cheek.

“Yay, we get to see Hyoyeon now!” Yuri cheered, opening the door and wrenching me away from Hyukjae.

There were a lot of hugs and tears, the latter coming from the overly-sensitive people, mainly Tiffany. I was pushed into a chair afterwards and brought a slice of chocolate cake from the kitchen by Ryeowook.

“Thanks, Ryeowook!” I punched his arm playfully.

“Anytime,” he grinned.

“Ryeowook, what about me?” Sooyoung tugged on his shirt.

“I am so sorry you have to put up with her.” Kyuhyun gave Ryeowook a sympathetic pat on the back.

Sooyoung held a fork dangerously in the air. “Cho Kyuhyun, is that a death wish?”

“Seohyun, save me!” Kyuhyun hid behind the female maknae.

Donghae sidled up to me and threw an arm around my shoulders, pulling me close. “Hey, Hyuk, does this piss you off?”

“Dude,” Hyukjae groaned. “I don’t do that to Tiffany!”

“Whatever, man, don’t even get me started. You freaking married her and you’ve kissed her before and you’ve probably--”

“No need to go on!” Hyukjae tackled Donghae to the floor.

I giggled at this exchange. “You guys are cute.”

“I’m cuter, right?” Donghae resumed sharing a seat with me nuzzled my cheek with his.

“Okay, none of that!” Hyukjae glared at his friend, jabbing him viciously in the side.

“Teukie-hyung, Hyukjae hit me!” Donghae tattled.

“Go deal with him,” Leeteuk pleaded to the other leader.

“He’s your child, not mine!”

“They’re all our children!”

“Are you insane?” Taeyeon squeaked.

“So I’m kind of waiting for my kiss,” Hyukjae nudged me playfully.

“You’ll have to keep waiting.” I stuffed a large piece of cake in my mouth and chewed on it slowly.

When I had finished swallowing, he stole a kiss from my lips.

“Yah!”

“Get a room!” Kyuhyun complained.

“This is a room; you get out!” Hyukjae stuck his tongue out, while I was still hitting him for doing what he did. “It’s not like you and Seohyun never kiss.”

“Well, we don’t swallow each other’s throats and get all into it like Heechul and Jessica do!” Kyuhyun defended himself and Seohyun, not noticing how red his girlfriend was.

“We don’t do that!” Heechul and Jessica retorted heatedly.

“That’s those two!” Heechul pointed dramatically at Donghae and Tiffany, who were sharing a piece of cake on one of the beds.

“Guilty as charged,” Donghae smiled smugly.

“Donghae!”