Short Interlude : My Heart Listens To Only You

The Art Of Kidnapping

Author's Note: Hi there everyone! Firstly, I apologise for delaying the next chapter of Art Of Kidnapping. School and everything else likes to get in the way. Writer's block too. -__- I'm not going to stop writing this though because as of now, I'm still typing the next chapter bit by bit. It's slow but it's getting there. It will come out soon so don't worry!

Anyways, I just want to share with everyone a SunByung oneshot I wrote a few months back for a SunByung fanfic contest on the Soshified forums. The results just came out, and I got 3rd place for it. :D So to compensate for the delay, have a go at this.

 

 

 

 

“You’ve been playing that for a long time now,” a bored voice said as the owner of it gazed at the woman, whose eyes were glued onto the television screen, not budging an inch.

 

“It’s only been an hour,” another voice nonchalantly replied.

 

Clicks and sounds of fingers smashing buttons, plus the added pained grunts of characters being smacked into oblivion were heard in the spacious room.

 

Shifting her position for the umpteenth time on the medium-sized couch, Hyomin sat up from the piece of furniture and scooted nearer to the middle where the petite woman was sitting at the bottom of it. A moment of contemplation later, she decided to engage her into another conversation.

 

Anything to divert her attention from that game.

 

“Is there something that’s been bothering you?”

 

That did the trick.

 

Sunny stalled for a second, resulting in her health bar to deteriorate to a trickle. Heaving an exasperated sigh at how hopeless it was to even attempt laying a finger on that dreaded final boss she went after for weeks, the gamer waved the white flag by quitting to the main menu. She then finally turned to the left to face the only one who was able to see past her façade.

 

“No, nothing’s wrong with me,” she lied through her teeth. “What makes you say that?”

 

“Soonkyu…”

 

That dreaded name again. She shouldn’t blame her parents for giving her an old-fashioned name. But right now, hearing her real name being called out by Hyomin of all people was enough to know that her lover was on to her. No doubt about it.

 

She stared into those concerned chestnut-brown orbs that seemed to penetrate through her very soul. A gentle hand Sunny’s long locks of hair and then lightly massaging the back of her neck, in an effort to relax the tense female. The gamer placed the white controller on the carpeted floor and laid her throbbing head on Hyomin’s lap.

 

It was comfy.

 

It always had been like that.

 

“Okay, you got me. Work just keeps piling up and I’m all bummed out because of it,” Sunny muttered out her complaint whilst enjoying the free massage she was receiving.

 

“And you think fighting against a virtual monster until your fingers fall off is going to magically make your stress go away?”

 

“Well, people did say that doing something that you enjoy helps in stress-relieving.”

 

“That’s true, but the first thing you thought of was video games and not me?”

 

The soothing movements on her neck stopped. Sunny knitted her brows over that.

 

“I’m here for you and you’re here for me,” Hyomin whispered. “That’s why we’re together…right?”

 

The worried tone in Hyomin’s voice disturbed her. Of course they were together. Why would she have doubts about it? Sunny was about to answer her question, to reassure her, but her moment of pondering made the tall brunette to cut her off first.

 

“…Am I the one that’s been troubling you?”

 

“What?!” the shorter of the two looked up at the other, in disbelief at the ridiculousness of that sudden question. “You’re NOT troubling me! Why would you even think of that?” Sunny realised the volume of her voice was louder than normal and it frightened the other occupant in the room. A twinge of guilt stabbed its way into her heart when she saw that kind of expression on her beloved girlfriend.

 

And she was the one who caused it.

 

She vowed to never do something like that ever again.

 

“You didn’t do anything wrong,” Sunny softly said while moving over to sit beside Hyomin on the couch. “I just wanted to beat that damn boss but I guess it did way more harm than good.”

 

Silence from the other party was the only thing that she received after her weak explanation. She knew that it wasn’t a good reason at all for practically ignoring Hyomin’s existence, just for the sake of completing a game.

 

But she only gave half of the reason.

 

The other half had to wait. This wasn’t the right time to say it out.

 

“I’m sorry for raising my voice at you like that,” the shorty apologised sincerely and added in a quick kiss on Hyomin’s soft lips. “Forgive me?”

 

That intimate action managed to clear her doubts as the taller of the two didn’t hesitate to wrap her arms around the smaller one’s neck, bringing them closer and sharing each other’s warmth. They fit well. Like two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

 

“Forgiven. But please tell me when you’re going through tough times even if it is just plain ol’ work. Sometimes I feel like you don’t need me around here.”

 

Those words struck a chord in Sunny’s heart as she nuzzled against Hyomin’s torso.

 

“But I do need you. That’s the honest truth.”

 

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

Their first meeting was on a rainy day.

 

To be more specific, they literally met under the rain.

 

Grey clouds loomed over the city as endless water droplets started to pelt mercilessly down onto the earth below. People scattered about from the streets; some reaching into their bags to fish out their umbrellas, others searching desperately for anything that has a roof to take shelter in temporarily.  

 

One lone woman though did the exact opposite.

 

She sat motionlessly on the bench of the unsheltered bus stop, her head bent down as she let the freezing weather drench her from head to toe. Her striped sweater and leggings now turned into a darker shade of colour thanks to the rain.

 

She didn’t care.

 

As long as the rain was able to conceal her tears and block out the sounds of her sobbing, then it won’t matter if she gets a terrible fever by the time the weather lets up.  All she wanted to do right now was to empty out every ounce of despair and hurt that resided in her. How could she have been so stupid? She detected all of the signs, noticed them even at a very early stage. And yet, she still insisted on not doubting that trust she had with him. Maybe she wanted to reassure herself that everything’s fine with their relationship by cooking him a meal and dropping by at his apartment on a random whim. Arriving unannounced, she noticed the unlocked front door. Strange. And then she took grave notice of a pair of branded heels by the shoe stand. Loud . Opening the bedroom door and seeing him under the sheets with an unknown woman straddling him was enough of a rude wake-up call for Hyomin.

 

Now, here she was.

 

Soaked to the bones and crying her eyeballs out, not because she was cheated but at how she should’ve trusted her own instincts. How foolish she was…to be swayed along by that man’s strings. As she continued on with her misery, Hyomin was oblivious to the sounds of footsteps splashing its way on the pavement and walking slowly towards her. The heartbroken woman stopped her sobbing and finally looked up when she felt no water droplets hitting her. Red, puffy eyes trailed up from a hand holding an umbrella and then on to a baby-faced female brunette that looked to be around the same age as her. The newcomer, clad in a dark blue hoodie which had a cartoon design on it and a pair of faded jeans, stared down at the pitiful person in front of her.

 

“You’re gonna catch a cold if you keep sitting out in the open like this,” she simply said.

 

Before Hyomin had a chance to reply back, she sneezed.

 

“Told you.”

 

Hyomin used the sleeve of her sweater to get rid of the gooey mess on her nose in an unladylike manner. Embarrassed at how horrible she must have looked like in the eyes of the other woman, Hyomin turned her face away and uttered out, “I’m just waiting for the bus, that’s all. It’s taking forever though.”

 

“I’m sure it’s going to be packed by the time it arrives, what with the weather and all. If you can’t get in, then you’ll have no choice but to wait for another one. And that means more time spent out here getting wet.”

 

“That’s totally fine. I like being in the rain,” Hyomin said melancholically as she stared emptily up at the gloomy sky. “It helps to wash all my problems away.”

 

“Like a cold shower?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I think a warm shower is what you need the most right now,” the woman with the umbrella said as she rested her free hand on Hyomin’s left shoulder. “Let me walk you back to your house. You don’t look like you have anything to cover your head with.”

 

Hyomin returned her gaze back at this kind person after she offered the walk back home. Something about her was different. Very different from other people she met throughout her life. A caring and bright aura resonated around her, which calmed Hyomin’s clouded mind somewhat.

 

She didn’t know why but she felt safe with this stranger, as ironic as it sounds.

 

“Why are you being so nice to me?” she warily asked the baby-faced woman, still unsure of what her motive was.

 

The woman in turn frowned at the odd question.

 

“Do you really need a reason to help someone, just for the sake of helping?”

 

“I-I’m just making sure...You know what people these days are like,” Hyomin stuttered, reminded of her ex-boyfriend’s betrayal.

 

“Well, I’m not one of those people if that’s what you’re so worried about.” She then opened the palm of her free hand in front of Hyomin with a smile graced on her full lips. “Trust me.”

 

Those few words worked like magic for the torn woman, and eventually, Hyomin let herself be pulled up from the bench and got back on her own two feet again. She never would have thought that her helper would be so short though. She had to bring her chin down to her neck in order to get a good look at the tiny person. The midget noticed the way the taller one sized her up once she stood at her original height and did not hesitate to give her a darting glare.

 

“DON’T rub it in.”

 

“But I didn’t even say anything!”

 

“I know that look anywhere,” the vertically-challenged woman dropped the menacing face and returned back to her original, friendly expression. “By the way, what’s your name?”

 

“H-Hyomin...Park Hyomin. And you are?”

 

“Lee Sunny.”

 

“Sunny?” a confused Hyomin rattled her tongue over the foreign name. “Are you an American?”

 

“Kind of,” the hoodie wearer scratched the back of her head sheepishly. “It’s a long story.”

 

“Do you mind telling me about that as we walk? I’m curious.”

 

“Sure, as long as you tell me the reason why you were sulking under the rain first.”

 

“I was hoping you weren’t going to say that.”

 

“Bad break-up?”

 

“Are you some kind of psychic?”

 

“No, just blessed with plain intuition I suppose.”

 

“Okay, okay, I’ll start... Just let me make it easier for you by letting me hold your umbrella.”

 

“So you did size me up, didn’t you!?”

 

As they both set off on their journey towards Hyomin’s apartment on a rather chaotic note regarding each other’s heights, it was also the beginning of how Hyomin found the light which warmed and mended her broken heart.

 

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

“You’re going to be late again?”

 

“Yeah. Exam period is around the corner so I have to stay back and help the kids lest they get a mental breakdown or something if they fail.”

 

“Oh, okay...” she trailed her words as she spoke on the phone and eyeing the already-cooked dinner resting on the dining table. “I understand.”

 

“Hyomin.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I love you.”

 

Her lips curved into a small smile when those sweet words entered her ear. 

 

“I love you too.”

 

After she reluctantly hung up, the lone occupant of the apartment stared at the bright screen of her phone until it faded to black.

 

“So much for eating together,” Hyomin exhaled deeply, disappointed.

 

After finishing off her meal alone, wrapped Sunny’s share with a plastic foil and putting them into the fridge, Hyomin went over to her messy work desk in the living room and her Mac Book. When she finally found the tablet pen hidden amidst the piles of scattered papers filled with unfinished sketches and hand-drawn poses, the graphic designer continued on with where she left off on her current client’s project. With two fingers ever ready to press on the reliable ‘Ctrl- Z’ buttons and the other hand professionally working its magic on the tablet, Hyomin diligently drew a set of abstract patterns and editing it for several hours despite her brain’s complaint to get some shut-eye.

 

It was going to be another long night that’s for sure.

 

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

A click of the key turning the lock over by the front door broke the silence of the quiet apartment. The clacking of high-heels against ceramic tiles followed by the sound of the door closing shut and then it being locked back again. Sunny, exhausted as ever, took off her killer footwear and dragged her blistered feet deeper into her humble abode. From where she was, she released a disgruntled sigh at the snoozing person before her; knocked out and hunched over the decorated keyboard. The computer remained open with an open document in the editing software, waiting to be prompted.

 

“And I thought I was the one who’s having a hard time, not you.” Sunny muttered out as she saved the document and shut down the device.

 

Placing down her shoulder bag by the foot of the desk, Sunny swivelled the rotating chair Hyomin was sitting on in her direction. She tucked an arm around the sleeping figure’s legs and the other one supporting her back, and lifted her up with a bit of a struggle due to their difference in size. The midget silently cursed at her lack in height after she almost trip over nothing in particular during the short trip towards their bedroom. As if the dozing beauty had sensed the shorty’s predicament, Hyomin awakened from her slumber just as Sunny was about to place her on the queen-sized bed. The drowsy woman perked up as soon as she regained her vision and was delightfully greeted by the sight of her significant other. Holding onto her shoulders, the brunette in Sunny’s arms leaned in to give a peck on her cute nose.

 

“Sunny,” she huskily said after stifling a yawn, “you just came back?”

 

“Uh-huh. But more importantly, didn’t I tell you not to fall asleep at your desk?” the smaller one reprimanded her as she gently laid her down on the comfy mattress. “One of these days you’re going to turn into a hunchback if you keep that up.”

 

“But the deadline’s coming soon. The poster! I haven’t-“

 

“Don’t worry. I saved it already.”

 

“You did? Phew...” Hyomin heaved a sigh of relief. Lying back on the bed after calming herself from that initial shock, she watched the tired woman before her going towards their shared wardrobe. She eyed the creamy-white skin that has been exposed when Sunny removed her blouse and her body-fitting black skirt. Her hands then going over to her chestnut-brown hair, releasing it from the constraints of its ponytail. There was nothing lustful about Hyomin’s blatant staring though. Rather, it was more of adoration and wonderment; how those curves could manage to meld so well on that small figure and be so beautiful. Hyomin couldn’t help but to put her on a high pedestal, after everything that this wonderful person had done for her.

 

It didn’t go unnoticed by the petite brunette though. Sunny felt those eyes analysing her the moment she went off to change her clothing. She should’ve been used to it by now but somehow, letting her girlfriend see her half- still made her heart thump wildly. After slipping on a shirt and a pair of comfortable shorts, she turned around to face the culprit who caused her to turn red.

 

“It’s rude to stare.”

 

“I can’t help myself when the girl right in front of me is such an eye-candy,” Hyomin said so innocently. 

 

“Such a lame flirt you are.”

 

“I know and I’m proud of it.”

 

Sunny chuckled at her corny remark and the dorky expression that went along with it. Even though Hyomin could be quite an oddball sometimes, she would always find a way to make Sunny’s frown turn upside-down. Maybe that was the reason why Sunny decided to be with her and stay by her side. How anyone could have leaved this one-of-a-kind person so broken in the past was beyond her. The first time she saw her in the rain like that, sitting there all alone and shivering from the weather...it tugged on her heartstrings. And before she knew it, here she was living under the same roof with her.

 

“Your dinner is waiting in the fridge for you.”

 

“Really!?” Sunny’s eyes brightened up at the mention of food and bolted out towards the kitchen at the speed of light.

 

“Now why can’t I get that kind of reaction when I’m the one that’s waiting for her to return home,” Hyomin pouted sadly, following her in tow.

 

After they have finished with their late dinner/supper; with Sunny being the one who was eating while Hyomin chats on with her while stealing some food from her plate, both of them went back into the bedroom.

 

“Don’t lie down yet, or else you’ll turn into a cow!”

 

“Where the heck did you hear that from?” the now full brunette looked at her girlfriend unconvincingly. “It doesn’t matter though. My sign is already an ox.” Her snide was caught on deaf ears as Hyomin kept pulling her hands to make her sit up. “Alright already, jeez...I’m sitting properly. Now how long do I have to wait before I can go back to sleep?”

 

“Hmm...Maybe for a long while, perhaps?” Hyomin bluffed as she happily proceeded to take a seat on Sunny’s lap.

 

“Yah, you planned this from the start didn’t you?”

 

“No I didn’t. It just came into my mind all of a sudden,” she smiled innocently and wrapped her arms around the other’s neck. The shorter one wasn’t complaining about Hyomin’s affections though, as she too returned the tight embrace. Breathing in the fragrance of the warm body knitted close to her, it was no wonder that this was Sunny’s favourite thing to do whenever they were together.

 

Just being here with Hyomin and feeling each other’s heartbeats. Maybe tap her bum several times if she’s feeling cheeky.

 

Every time they’ve done this, it was like all of her worries disappeared from her mind.

 

“You look tense whenever you come back from work,” Hyomin whispered.

 

“You noticed that?”

 

“It’s not like we’ve known each other yesterday.” She pulled away slightly from Sunny, cupping her face with her warm hands to face her eye-to-eye. “Tell me what it is that’s bothering you. Don’t leave me out in the dark like this.”

 

A forlorn smile curved its way on Sunny’s lips as she tucked a loose strand of hair behind Hyomin’s ear. “I guess there’s no point trying to hide anything from you. You know me too well.”

 

“You’re not cheating behind my back, are you?” Her tone was in a joking manner, yet Sunny noticed the small hint of wariness in Hyomin’s hazel orbs.

 

“Now why the hell would I be going around with someone else when I’ve already got a gorgeous girl right here?”

 

“Is it something bad?”

 

“No. ‘Frustrating’ is a better word to describe it.”

 

“Care to share?”

 

Sunny darted her eyes downwards, exhaling a sigh through her nose.

 

“You know how much I love being a teacher right?”

 

“Yes, to the point where you treat your students like they’re your own children.”

 

“I don’t mind adopting one or two,” she teased, resulting in a playful whack on her arm.

 

“Changing the subject isn’t going to let you off the hook.”

 

“Alright, alright... Well, the thing is that some of my colleagues happened to see us together when we go out on our dates sometimes. And- “

 

“They’re taking a step back and treating you like the plague, isn’t it?”

 

“That sounds a bit harsh but you get my drift. I know I shouldn’t let their wariness get to my head. Our society is trying its best to open up, but the fear is still there.” Fiddling around with the hem of Hyomin’s shirt, she paused for a moment to let the sentence sink in before speaking up again. “I guess me being unsure of how our relationship is going to last in the long run and it being judged by other people was the real reason why I acted so distant around you these past few weeks. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not ashamed of what we have right now. I treasure every moment I spend with you. I really do. It’s just that I’m afraid that you’ll get hurt by other’s people words if you keep being with me.”

 

“Sunny...”

 

Daring to glance back up at the woman in her arms, the short brunette’s befuddled mind was cleared of clouded thoughts when soft, tender lips claimed her own in a yearning kiss. Her back landed on the mattress with Hyomin pressed on top of her with no sign of letting Sunny go. When they finally broke apart to catch in some much-needed oxygen, their lips lingered for a while as they stared at one another, chests heaving up and down.   

 

“I...don’t care...about what they say,” Hyomin said, trying to catch her breath. “You’re the one that can make me feel truly happy. I only care about your words and not of those from complete strangers. They don’t know how it feels to be with you. No matter what, I’ll stick by you. So please...I want us to stay together for a long time.”

 

Without another second wasted, another kiss was shared; more passionate than the last one. Their doubts and worries slowly disappearing one by one with each touch and lips connected.

 

Indeed, it was going to be a very long night for the both of them.

 

 

 

END

 

A/N: See you guys when I finally update Art of Kidnapping! Also, thank you very much for all the views and comments!