Chapter 9

The Art Of Kidnapping

Chapter 9

 

 

The smell of tobacco and musk hung in the air after the agent shoved the tied-up woman into the dank hotel room. Sunny’s nose twitched at the unwanted stench as she closed the door, making sure it was properly locked in its place. The keys then safely tucked away into the depths of her jacket’s pocket and the silver briefcase in hand was placed down next to the entrance. She then surveyed the room before her.  It consisted of two single beds with a nightstand in between them on the left side of the room, while a television took up the whole right side with a long table housing a DVD player, a bunch of magazines, and two remotes in it. Further into the room was where the closet and the door to the bathroom resided. You’d think that the boss would hire some reliable housekeeping staff to keep the place more desirable to stay with all that money of his. At least the room was cleaned up nicely after the last customer who stayed here.

 

Simple. Still, it was accommodating enough for a short stay.

 

Sunyoung stood in the middle of the room, as blind and restricted as ever, absolutely clueless to where she currently was. But all that came to an end when the darkness finally lifted and light returned into her eyes. She clumsily staggered back as far as possible from Sunny after the latter removed the dirty cloth, resulting in Sunyoung to fall back onto one of the beds behind and release a frightened squeal. Said captive lay on the stiff bed in a groaning pathetic heap, struggling to move herself into a better position instead of on top of her still tied-up hands. Sunny looked on pitifully at Sunyoung. There was nothing she could do about it. Nothing she could do to get her away from finishing up this current job. It needed to be done.

 

“Relax. You keep that up and who knows what will happen if you start to panic,” the agent said with a condescending frown. “Look, I’ll untie those to make it easier for you okay?”

 

“For what? So that you can tie me up again when you drag me off to another place in god-knows-where?” Sunyoung glared daggers at Sunny.

 

Sunny narrowed her eyes at the defiant woman. She was really starting to grate on her nerves. Taking a step forward towards the bed, she rested a knee onto it, leaned down and tugged the woman’s arm, forcing her to sit up, much to Sunyoung’s dismay.

 

“I’m asking you this one more time,” Sunny whispered with malice in her voice, her hot breath bearing down on her captive’s exposed ear. “Do you want to be untied or not? Your choice. Whatever your answer is, you will still be under my control. Don’t think you can escape from me so easily since I’m treating you so nicely now.”

 

She could feel her captive quivering with fear under her superiority.

 

‘Show her who’s the boss around here. That’ll teach her.’

 

A short moment later, the answer was a hesitant ‘yes’. With skilled fingers, the agent released Sunyoung’s hands with ease. Surprisingly, her captive didn’t make any sudden moves on her once the wires finally came undone. The taller one avoided eye contact with Sunny as she rubbed her sore wrists which were dreadfully covered with agonising red marks caused by the tight wires. Sunny noticed the way she was darting her eyes around, probably wondering where the heck she was. Poor kid. She had absolutely no idea of what she will encounter once the transfer has been successfully made. The client sure was hell-bent on getting this one safely to the rendezvous point; tempting the company with that vast amount of wealth on the line to carry out his own crazy schemes. Sure, Sunyoung was pretty. But this guy couldn’t have just fork out that much cash just to bang her or do anything remotely provocative like that. There were services all around to cover for needs such as those. This particular mission ran deeper than what lied on the surface.

 

Sunny was sure of it.

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

Hyomin did not like the way her kidnapper was eyeing her. Heck, she didn’t like it at all when people stared at her. Friends and family members included. It made her nervous when people bore into her soul just by a mere stare. How was she supposed to handle it when the shorty kept scrutinising her every second now that she was under her clutches? Watching her every move like a hawk targeting its prey. The time while she was cooking instant noodles back at the last place wasn’t as tense because the thoughts of her parents clouded her mind. But as of right now, there wasn’t much to think about except for the new environment and of the dangerous person sitting next to her.

 

“W-where are we?” she dared to ask the stoic woman beside her, while still avoiding even the slightest glance at her.

 

“Can’t answer that.”

 

Of course. Hyomin fought the urge to roll her eyes. She needed to start asking better questions which were sure to get a guaranteed response.

 

The kidnapper spoke up again. “Do you want to take a shower?”

 

Well, that was a surprise.

 

All Hyomin could muster out was a stunned, “Huh?” as she faced the woman in black.

 

“We’ve been on the road for so long and we need to get back on it later in the evening,” she said to Hyomin matter-of-factly. “You need to at least wash up.”

 

The offer to bathe was tempting. Hyomin wasn’t sure of what the time was but she knew it had to be a little later after dawn. Long enough until the appearance of sweat clung onto her body. But what piqued her interest the most was the realisation that this wasn’t an ordinary kidnap-and-be-held-for-ransom kind of situation. This woman kept bringing her to one place after another; not sticking around to one point for so long. Almost as if the short brunette was trying to ship her off somewhere else, and never to be heard of ever again. Something was definitely fishy around here.

 

“What’s your purpose for abducting me like this?” Hyomin demanded. “It’s obvious that you’re not using me for ransom money. And why the hell do you keep taking me out like we’re on some kind of crazy road trip!?”

 

A pause. Hyomin didn’t care as she had a staring death match against the culprit before her. She gritted her teeth. Her knuckled turned pale white as she clenched the sheets in her fists with growing frustration. “Answer me damnit!” Her emotions got the better of her, overcoming her rational state of mind. Hyomin’s hands yanked the collar of the shorty’s jacket with astounding force, bringing the kidnapper mere inches in front of her. Whatever she was expecting: a counter, a shove, a punch or a kick. It never happened. The cold and calloused hands of the aloof kidnapper slowly reached up to grip Hyomin’s wrists with an unexpected gentleness to them. It managed to cool down Hyomin’s repressed anger towards the criminal somewhat. However, her hold on the shorty’s collar was still strong as ever.

 

“Alright, I’ll tell what you want to know,” the shorter one said in a calm voice. “You’re correct about one thing though. I’m not holding you for ransom, so this isn’t a kidnapping. I abducted you so that I can transfer you to someone else.”

 

Hyomin’s eyes widened. Her grip too loosened when that piece of info entered her ears. Confusion flooded her brain. “Transfer? To someone else? Who?”

 

“I don’t know. But this person really wants you as soon as possible.”

 

“So this...is your job then?” Hyomin eyed the brunette warily; incredulous to what she was hearing. “Abducting people just because someone offered you money to do their evil deeds?”

 

A few seconds of silence before the short woman said a curt, “Yes.”

 

Hyomin was speechless. Never in her life would she ever think something like this exists in reality. Stuff like this should only be in movies and dramas she watched back at home. Hyomin released her grip and pushed the woman away from her; the force backing the culprit a slight distance but not enough for it to send her falling off from the bed. Coming to terms regarding the heavy info whacking her brain was going to be difficult.

 

“Why do you this? There has to be something better out there than having to succumb to criminal activities. This isn’t right.”

 

“Who are you to judge me for what I do?” the shorty glared with a menacing tone.

 

“You’re worth much better than that.”

 

Hyomin’s honest response seemed to strike a chord in the cold woman’s heart. Her stoic expression crumbled for a split second before it regained its normal composure.

 

“That’s none of your business.”

 

The university student kept mum, her face now stricken with worry and uncertainty. Maybe she should have kept her opinions to herself. She was, after all, facing a dangerous criminal right now.

 

“Do you have any more questions?”

 

Hyomin gulped.

 

“No.”

 

“Good. Now go take a shower. Wear the clothes you’re wearing back again afterwards because there aren’t any new clothes around here.”

 

Hyomin immediately obeyed and got up to go to the bathroom, with the shorty tailing behind her. The bathroom wasn’t anything special, lest for the way it was decorated which suspiciously looked like the type usually found in many hotels and also with the abundance of complimentary shampoos and soap products around. A bathtub on one side with a showerhead looming above it, a sink with a mirror on the other, and a toilet on the other end of the tiny room. Maybe this place really was a hotel. Maybe...she could get help here. Hyomin sneaked a glance behind her, and sure enough, the petite brunette was right there just outside of the doorway with her arms folded across her chest. Staring at her. It wasn’t going to be easy though.

 

“Use that towel over there,” she pointed over to the white towel hanging on a hook next to Hyomin.

 

“Okay.”

 

Hyomin went deeper into the bathroom. She was about to take off the shirt she wore before a sudden realisation hit upon her at the last second.

 

“Um, do you mind?” Hyomin blushed furiously when she looked behind and discovered that the other woman’s eyes were still glued on her and had just witnessed her removing her shirt midway.

 

“Nope.” The culprit simply said with a mysterious smirk before closing the door and letting Hyomin have her much-needed privacy.

 

‘Did she just...smile at me while I was about to stri-?’

 

Hyomin immediately shook away the indecent thought. Not quite the appropriate time and situation to fantasize about the kidnapper apparently enjoying a free show and all the possibilities that might come after it.

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

Sunny plumped down on the bed, heaving a heavy sigh as she began rubbing her throbbing forehead. She needed sleep. Badly. Her eyes drooped down before suddenly lashing up again once she realised that the powers of sleep were waning down on her. The cooling air from the air conditioner blowing down her warm body and the softness of the bed did not help much in her battle to keep awake. Swatting her cheeks lightly worked a tad better. Just a tad much. But replaying the image of her captive’s slender waist done wonders. Those were some delicious curves. Sunny commended them for waking her up. But she realised that it was a bad sign to daydream about her own victim like that.

 

‘The sooner I get this done with, the better. Freakin’ girl is trying to mess around with my head.’

 

Those words raced through her mind yet again.

 

You’re worth much better than that.

 

That eye-candy of a captive was sneaking in way too close for comfort into Sunny’s protective barrier. If she manages to break through the tough wall which she’d built for such a long time, then it will be all over. Sunny didn’t want to overcomplicate things for Sunyoung and, most importantly, for herself. Just get this over and done with as quickly as possible before unnecessary emotions pop up and mess everything up. A sudden and heavy vibration inside Sunny’s thick jacket jolted her. A message from the boss, she guessed. After whipping out her phone, she checked the new notification. Her brows rose up in surprise when it wasn’t who she thought it was.

 

A message from Siwon.

 

‘Outside your room right now. Brought you and your victim some food for the day. Thought you might need some.’

 

Sunny darted her eyes up to the front door, then back to the bathroom. Sounds of water spraying out from the showerhead could be heard. She hoped that Sunyoung was the type to take long showers. Reluctantly getting up on her feet, she trotted towards the entrance, cautiously unlocking the chain lock first to take a look at the person on the other side. Siwon’s handsome face beamed at her though the narrow gap, his hands on a trolley carrying two platters covered with a metal dome. Sunny grimaced at the way he was so enthusiastic about handling his part-time job as a hotel manager/room service.

 

“You’re enjoying this way too much,” Sunny sarcastically remarked as she opened the door wider to pull the trolley deeper into the room. Siwon still stood at his place outside the hotel room, knowing very well that he was not supposed to invite himself inside.

 

“It’s my pleasure to be at your service.” He placed a hand on his heart and bowed down ninety degrees, which made short woman to roll her eyes. He returned to his original position, taking the opportunity to peek his head into the room. “Where’s your new lady friend? Left you already?”

 

Sunny went back to the door and blocked the doorway. “She’s taking a shower right now.”

 

Siwon was taken aback. “Were you always this lenient with your captives? Usually, from what I heard back at HQ, you struck terror into the hearts of those that were unfortunate enough to cross paths with you.”

 

Stop listening to senseless rumours. I swear, you’re almost as bad as all those middle-aged women who gossips all the time. Now,” Sunny folded her arms and leaned against the doorway, “is there something you need to tell me? Another fellow agent don’t just bring food out of nowhere unless the boss specifically says so. I could have just called room service if I needed to.”

 

The towering man in front of her turned serious in an instance and straightened his posture, his voice in a low whisper. “I will say it to you straight. Be careful when you continue your mission later on. Sources have informed the agency that someone will be out to prevent you from getting that girl to the client. At all cause. Even if it means killing you in order to get the girl back.”

 

Sunny narrowed her eyes. “Who is this person?”

 

“Your victim is the daughter of a CEO who runs a very well-known and successful banking agency in South Korea and other parts of the world. However, he’s not just a hot shot businessman. Let’s just say that hard work and perseverance weren’t the only things he did to grow his business from the ground up.”

 

“Illegal methods?”

 

“More like he made a deal with the devil. And that devil is the client that you’re transferring that girl to. Apparently, the client we’re working for is the rival of that CEO. Close enemies even. Both of them have been at each other’s wits since the beginning. Along the way, the girl’s father encountered a number of problems which will lead to the company’s bankruptcy if they are not solved in time. Desperate to clear his debts and with nobody else to help him, he sought out for help in the most unlikely of places.”

 

“His rival.”

 

“Correct.”

 

“Why though?”

 

“No idea, but he did get the money he needed to pay off all of the debts. His rival has some partnerships with drug dealers.”

 

“So Mr Park took part in drug dealings to get some quick bucks and saved his company.”

 

“Drug trafficking, to be more precise. Our client threatened him not to spill the beans regarding that or else he will do something that will ruin his life forever, but once the CEO’s company was up and running again, he snitched about his rival’s doings to the authorities.”

 

“And now our client wants revenge by taking away his rival’s precious daughter.” Sunny nodded understandingly.

 

“And that Mr Park is using any means to get her back safely.” Siwon did the conclusion.

 

Sunny glanced behind her, eyeing the occupied bathroom. “She’s caught in the middle of some deep and it’s not even her fault...”

 

“Don’t get attached to her, Soonkyu.”

 

“What the hell are you talking about?” the shorty snapped and glowered at her fellow colleague. Nobody ever called out her real name out in the open, unless there is a special need to.

 

“I know that look just now,” Siwon frowned disapprovingly. “You’re sympathising with her. You’re getting all soft on her. And that is dangerous, Soonkyu. Not only is it dangerous for you but also for her. Our job does not allow emotions to control our actions. Whatever we’re ordered to do, we just do it. No hesitations.”

 

Sunny clenched her fists tightly. “You don’t need to give me a damn lecture. I know what I’m doing.”

 

“I do hope so. Because if you get in too close, you will get hurt. And I don’t mean that in a physical way.”

 

Sunny scoffed. “I know. You better get going now. I think she’ll come out soon.”

 

She then proceeded to close the door but Siwon added in another thing just before she shut it.

 

“Be careful.”

 

“I will.”

 

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

The warmth of the water pelting down her body felt like heaven. After all the craziness that happened for the past several hours, it was good to finally be able to relax (at least for a little while) and enjoy a nice, soothing shower. Hyomin rested her head against the tiled wall. Closing her eyes, she thought about the new piece of info she’d gotten from the stoic brunette. Who in the world wanted her so badly? She didn’t have any enemies. Well, not ones who would go to extreme lengths such as this. Stalkers maybe? She shuddered at the thought. Her looks did attract unwanted attention sometimes. Hyomin resisted the urge to cry right there. She needed to be strong and hope that her family and friends will notice her missing. She desperately wanted to escape from this nightmare, but strangely, at the same time...she didn’t want to leave her.

 

Something deep beneath Hyomin’s heart was telling her that the kidnapper wasn’t all that bad of a person. She was just doing her job.

 

‘Maybe a job that she was forced to do...’

 

She held on to that grain of hope, even if it was too far of a stretch.

 

After shampooing her hair and washing every inch of her body, she turned off the faucet for the shower and dried herself off with the orange towel. Once that was done, she wore her previous clothes again. And now, to face the shorty yet again. Hyomin calmed herself down before going out from the bathroom. Gripping on to the silver door knob, Hyomin counted to five and then opened it, braving the tides that have yet to come. The petite woman was perched on the bed nearest to the bathroom, looking like she was in deep thought about something. Hyomin noticed that she had taken off her leather jacket, revealing a white undershirt that showed off her voluptuous figure and the defined muscles on her biceps. A mixture of femininity and masculinity in one balanced package. At that moment, the kidnapper noticed a presence nearby and she turned in her direction. It seemed that Hyomin’s ogling broke the kidnapper from her reverie.

 

“Finished?” the short brunette inquired.

 

Hyomin nodded bashfully, trying to take her mind off being busted for staring by drying her still damp hair.

 

“You hungry?”

 

She perked up at the question. Indeed, she was. “Um, yeah.”

 

“Help yourself.” The kidnapper pointed to a trolley near the entrance.

 

‘That wasn’t there before.’

 

“What about you?” Now it was Hyomin’s turn to ask.

 

“I’m fine. You need it more.”

 

Without a thought, Hyomin went over to it and lifted up the cover. She almost drooled at the sight of two large plates carrying a mostly western breakfast meal consisting of scrambled eggs, strips of sizzling brown bacons, sausages, and a generous heap of mashed potatoes with succulent gravy sauce poured around it. There was also a smaller plate of a couple of stacked up waffles covered with maple syrup and also a jug of orange juice, accompanied by two empty glasses. The mouth-watering aroma tickled Hyomin’s nose. She looked back at the other woman. “I’ll save some for you too.”

 

A silent nod was her reply. Hyomin quirked her brow. It seemed that the shorty looked like she was on the verge of sleep, but also trying to keep herself awake.

 

This. This was the perfect opportunity to knock out her kidnapper, while her defences were still low. Just get in close to her and strike one of the weakest points of the human body: the neck. That was what they thought her in self-defence class. If she could successfully do it, then she will be free and get help.

 

Hyomin turned back to the trolley, took a glass, and filled it up with juice. Her fingers were unsteady from the adrenaline rush. When that was done, she hesitantly walked over to where the shorty was sitting. She held out the glass to her; heart pounding at an abnormal pace.

 

“At least drink this,” Hyomin fought away her nervousness and calmly said.

 

The kidnapper eyed her over with scrutiny. She slowly reached out for the drink, touching the fingers of the other. Without a word, the short brunette took it and drank the juice.

 

‘Now! Strike her now!’

 

Hyomin’s inner thoughts yelled, but her body would not cooperate.  

 

The now empty glass was handed back to her.

 

“Thanks.”

 

Her impromptu escape plan failed.

 

She couldn’t do it. She just couldn’t.

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

“I am already outside the city. Currently in search of the hostage.”

 

“Very good, Max. The sooner we find her, the better. Lesser sleepless nights for my wife.”

 

“I will do my best, sir.”

 

And with that, the call disconnected. The driver of the silver Mercedes car pressed the button of the Bluetooth device hung over his left ear and ended the call.

 

Changmin pushed the accelerator even further, in pursuit of Mr Park’s daughter and eliminate her abductor.

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

 

A/N: Sorry for the very long wait! >.<