Chapter 9 Part 2

I Love You, Your Majesty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinki and Taemin sat by a round table, both silent as they go through some paperwork. They couldn’t focus at all – Taemin thinking if Minho had woken up yet – and Jinki thinking if Yoonhae had returned. Pushing those uncomfortable feelings aside, they forced themselves to at least scan through the uninviting words printed on the papers they had to read and approve.

Four days had passed since the ball, both princesses had returned to their own kingdom just yesterday. Taemin was thoroughly relieved that he didn’t have to entertain Sulli – it wasn’t that he disliked her, really… She just loves to ask Taemin to keep her company. And Taemin didn’t like the idea of entertaining her when he could spend his time doing something more useful – like staying by Minho’s side or helping Jinki with his work.

Jinki was obviously tired out. He had eye bags now, and Taemin didn’t like how his brother seemed to appear five years older. He wished that the soldiers would quickly find his Yoonhae noona so his hyung would snap out of it.

Key’s inauguration ceremony went on smoothly two days ago and Jonghyun was officially his assistant. Which made Taemin wondered if they were just merely assistant and a prince. He didn’t miss lingering touches and glances these two exchanged during meal times (although they bicker with each other all the time, but he could tell that Key was just enjoying himself).

 

The door creaked open and Key came in, pushing a trolley with a pot of hot tea and three teacups. He had brought some cakes with him as well.

“Let’s take a break.” Key suggested, “And then I’ll help you guys with the documents. I think you should rest, hyung.”

“I agree.” Taemin nodded, “You need some sleep, hyung.”

“I’m fine.” Jinki replied shortly. He hadn’t been able to sleep since Yoonhae went missing. He tried tossing around on his bed but his eyes and brain just stayed alert and he couldn’t catch even a wink of proper sleep.

I need her. Jinki pinched the bridge of his nose.

As the three princes sipped Key’s self-prepared tea, the door opened once again to reveal Jonghyun.

“Prince Taemin.” He addressed, “Minho is awake.”

 

Taemin wasted no time as he bolted towards his own room – his cute action making his hyungs chuckle. They followed him and stood by the door amusedly as Taemin jumped onto Minho, already ignoring Minho’s cry of pain as Taemin accidentally hit his injured hand while landing.

“Minhominhominho–“ Taemin chanted as he hugged the tall man tightly. “Oh-God-you’re-awake, thank God… Minho, you have no idea how worried I was… Stupid frog, stupid keroro… aksfjhkshdfds”

Minho simply laughed at Taemin’s cute antics before planting a soft kiss on Taemin’s temple.

 

Jinki couldn’t help feeling relieved – at least now he had one less thing to worry about. Key was smiling as well, and Jonghyun simply whistled as Taemin kissed Minho on the lips.

“Forbidden love, huh?” Jonghyun chuckled.

“Hm.” Key responded. “We’ll need to tell them about the arranged marriage soon… But I guess that can wait. I wouldn’t want to spoil their moment.”

“Let’s leave them alone.” Jinki suggested. Key threw a glare at Minho’s direction, probably afraid that the tall assistant would do something appropriate, but before he could say anything, Jonghyun dragged him away.

“He can’t do much with a bandaged hand anyway.” Jonghyun assured Key despite the newly appointed prince not saying anything. Key blushed three shades of red before scowling at Jonghyun.

“I never said anything!”

“I can totally see it in your eyes. Minho wouldn’t anyone.”

“YAH! DON’T SAY .”

“Uh… Right, it wouldn’t be if Taemin enjoyed it.”

“WHAT THE F-“

“You are a prince, no vulgarities.” Jonghyun smirked. “I was just saying that Minho couldn’t even attempt to do an act of with consent even if he wanted to, because he is injured!”

“You. Are. Going. To be. The death. Of me.” Key shook his head as he quickened his pace.

“Hey I was just joking! No need to get all embarrassed at this topic, Jagiya!” Jonghyun called after him.

 

“Really, you two? Really?” Jinki gave them a helpless glare. “Must you both pick a ridiculous topic to bicker on? I totally am scarred for life imagining Minho and my brother doing inappropriate things!”

“No one asked you to imagine it, Your Majesty!”

 

 

-*-

 

 

Kyuhyun and his men just got back from their round of patrol around the town, looking for Yoonhae and making sure that there was no act of criminal happening there. The General simply sank into a chair as he took off his hat.

“Do you want some water, Sir?” A newbie soldier, Jino offered.

“Yes please.” Kyuhyun simply replied before he closed his eyes to rest for a bit.

He wondered if Key were all right after the inauguration ceremony. He didn’t get a chance to congratulate his childhood friend. It’s been years since they last conversed properly and, although Kyuhyun had been ignoring him, the older of the two would do anything to make Key smile.

“Here.”

He mumbled a thank-you to the young soldier before sipping his drink. He missed Key. They were like siblings, how could he not missed him?

His thoughts linger to the night when Key came knocking the castle door all panicky and tear-struck. Kyuhyun remembered clearly how painful his heart was and how angry he had been. He wanted to find – to hunt – whoever did that to his precious dongsaeng and murder him brutally. He remembered how, as he caught the fainting Key in his arms, how determined he was to make sure that Key would never have to cry like that ever again.

But he had avoided Key after that. He couldn’t face Key no matter how hard he tried – because how could he tell Key that he had killed his father?

 

 

Once he made sure that Key was taken care of by the physician, Kyuhyun ran out of the castle to chase after the group of castle guards who went to look for Duke Kim. Kyuhyun hoped – with all his might – that Key’s father would be all right.

As he turned to the corner, however, he was astonished at the scene of his fellow soldiers slumped onto the ground. Duke Kim stood there with a smile so evil Kyuhyun shuddered from where he stood hidden, and then a few other men emerged and went to Duke Kim’s side.

“They are your own people, you know.” One of them spoke.

“Of course I know. Explains why they are really dense and I can beat the hell out of them easily.” Duke Kim shrugged.

“You are an amazing actor, Kim.” Another person uttered. “Fooling the whole Kingdom like you are the most reliable duke out there, fooling your own son that you are a respectable father who sacrifices his life in order to save him…”

“Cut that out. It’s not that hard, really. Key is extremely gullible at his age.” Duke Kim waved it off, and a surge of anger boiled the pit of Kyuhyun’s stomach.

What the hell was happening?

 

“What makes you want to play dead and disappear from the kingdom anyway?”

“Well, I’ve already known too much things inside. It’s time for me to make good use of all the information I found out and go to the neighboring kingdoms to strike a deal. I heard that the kingdom at the East wanted to start a war with us, so I might be useful for them.”

“And when the deal is made?” The first man among the unknown people asked.

“Then we’ll be rich and this kingdom will disappear.” Duke Kim laughed evilly.

“And you let your son escape just so he could suffer in the end? You are one horrible father.”

“I don’t care. I just want money. Money is everything.”

That was the last straw – Kyuhyun couldn’t take it anymore. Key’s father is a betrayer, a rebel… a corrupt. The thought of him not caring about Key at all – that Key was crying and begging for someone to save his father before he fainted – that Key was always looking up to his father – suddenly jumbled up in Kyuhyun’s brain and the latter couldn’t take it anymore.

 

He took out a pistol he was carrying and aimed it at the five men who were conversing. He first shot all the people who kidnapped Key (they were the ones talking to Duke Kim) in the heart.

As Duke Kim looked around frantically for the person who killed the people he was with, Kyuhyun emerged from where he was hiding.

“I can’t believe this. Uncle.” Kyuhyun gritted his teeth, eyes stinging with tears. “Key really loves you.”

Duke Kim stared at him in disbelief before he gave another evil grin.

“But I don’t love him. I love money.”

 

And then Kyuhyun pulled the trigger and shot him in his forehead. The man collapsed onto the ground, not breathing. Kyuhyun wiped his tears and hid his gun, immediately leaving the scene.

Another wave of soldier arrived at the scene and concluded that the people who were trying to kidnap Prince Key murdered Duke Kim. Kyuhyun simply stood aside, watching with no emotion as his fellow soldiers arrived back at the castle, carrying the dead body of the man he once respected with all his heart.

No one knew about what happened that night. Kyuhyun didn’t have the courage to tell anyone. He couldn’t say that he was the one who killed Key’s father, and he couldn’t even bring himself to reason out that he did it to protect the kingdom – to protect his Key.

After a few days, the guilt became unbearable. So he stopped talking to Key altogether.

 

 

“Sir Cho!”

 

Kyuhyun snapped out of his daydream. Jino was gaping at him, looking like a fish as he stammered, “L-L-L-L-Lady Yoonhae is back!”

Kyuhyun got up from his seat abruptly, immediately running out of the guardhouse towards the gate, and sure enough Yoonhae was there, standing with five men he didn’t recognize.

“Lady Yoonhae!” Kyuhyun greeted. “I’m so glad you are alive…”

“Thank you, it’s good to see you.” Yoonhae smiled at him. “I’ll need to speak with you and the princes… These are my guests and I’ll explain everything later. Shall we go to the meeting room?”

 

As Kyuhyun told few of his men to go locate the princes and inform them about Yoonhae’s return, his eyes scanned the five unknown men who were following Yoonhae.

He locked eyes with Junhyung, and they glared at each other for a while before Doojoon nudged the latter to follow Yoonhae. Kyuhyun didn’t understand why Junhyung was glaring at him, but he could feel anger and hatred directed at him while they were looking into each other’s eyes.

 

 

-*-

 

 

“I was really, really worried.” Taemin now lied beside Minho, his arms around the taller man’s waist. “I thought we were both going to die.”

“What happened after I out?” Minho asked, feeling guilty that he didn’t get to protect Taemin in the end.

“There was this firework machine thing and I accidentally knocked onto it… The bad people searched the source of the ruckus and found me. But then Jonghyun hyung and Yoonhae noona came. They saved me.”

Minho recalled the memory of Jonghyun showing off his handicraft – a weird looking machine with lots of pipes – years ago. He said he wanted to create the most beautiful and extraordinary firework machine. Whatever. Minho added.

“That’s… great.” Minho gulped. What if they came just a second too late?

“Y-Yeah.” Taemin’s face darkened. “I’m really glad we got out of there safely… But…”

Minho not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter