Face-Off

Broken Strings

“What do you want from my cousin Choi?” Bom said in an irritating tone.

 

 

“Cousin?” TOP ask as he glances at Bom then Dara, he is pretty much bewildered.

 

 

“You heard me right! She’s my cousin” Bom said in a high-pitch tone obviously annoyed.

 

 

TOP looks at Dara with wide eyes, “You’re related?!”

 

 

“Are you deaf or just plain stupid?” the red haired girl said mockingly but the latter ignore her and just stare at Dara waiting for her to reply.

 

 

Instead of answering him, the girl who is oblivious of what is going on asks, “Do you two know each other?” while stealing glances to Bom and TOP.

 

 

“NO!” both of them answer.

 

 

“Shut up Corn Monster!”

“Go to hell Alien!”

 

 

Both of them answer again in unison. The petite girl in the middle of the chaos scoffs “I guess I’m right”. Then the two continue to bicker forgetting the presence of the girl between them. “Save your Lover’s Quarrel for the meantime coz Bom, I’m already late and I have to meet the Chairman now!” She hissed. She gazes at the man beside her “TOP, talk to you later. We really need to go” then they walk away.

 

 

The four remaining members of Bigbang made their way to TOP when they saw Bom went beside the girl and put an arm at the latter’s shoulder. They laugh when they heard the two bantering again. It’s normal for them already to hear the two bicker every time they laid their eyes on each other, same with Seungri and CL. When they are about to stand behind their hyung, the two ladies turns around and started to make their way to the corridor.

 

 

Seungri stood on TOP’s right side then put his hand on his hyung’s shoulder and ask “Hyung. Do you know that girl? The one with Bom noona?” The other three stood on TOP’s left as all their eyes were still staring at the two girls’ retreating back.

 

 

“Neh... She’s the girl I’m talking about last night” The oldest one said while smiling from ear to ear.

 

 

Their heads snap immediately to their hyung, “Bwo?!” with eyes wide open and mouth hanging, they ask in unison then their head snaps back to the girls’ direction.

 

 

Dara’s POV

 

“Yah Bom! Why didn’t you wake me up? You know I have to be here early!” I started to rant when we walked out on TOP.

 

 

“I tried several times but still you didn’t wake up!” she shouted back.

 

 

“Aigoo… What a great impression I’ve imprinted on the Chairman” I complain.

 

 

She smiles at me , “I bet you he wouldn’t get mad” and usher me to a well crafted wooden door.

 

 

We went inside and saw a woman sitting, busy typing something in her computer. When she felt our presence, she looks at us and asks “What can I do for you?” while glancing at me and Bom.

 

 

“I am here to meet the Chairman” I said softly while flashing my smile. She looks surprise for a second and I wonder why, and then smiles back at me. “Do you have any appointment?”

 

 

“Yes. He’s waiting for her actually.” Bom butted in. I nudge her quickly and gave her a SHUT-UP look.

 

 

“Name please?” the woman ask

 

 

“Sandara Park”

 

 

“Kindly have a seat first, I’ll inform the Chairman” she stood up and knocks on another door in our left. Then not long after, she came back and smiles at me “You may come in now Miss Park” gesturing me to come inside.

 

 

“Call me when you finish” Bom said as we both stood up. I just nodded and saw her went to the door going to the corridor while I went inside the large room. The room is huge. It has a white cabinet that reach the ceiling with different toys displayed on one side of the wall. There were two sofas and coffee table in the middle and behind it is a glass table and a leather swivel chair.

 

 

I heard the door close behind me. I began to feel nervous while taking baby steps inside the room. Ahead of me was a man sitting on his leather chair, back facing me. When I reach the edge of one of the sofas, I saw the chair move and turn around.

 

 

I came face the man sitting on it, wearing a plain gray shirt over a black leather jacket, simple jeans, sneakers and cap.

 

 

“Welcome to YGA Sandara” the man in front of me greets wearing his notorious smile.

 

 

I bow 90 degrees as I greeted, “Thank you Chairman” as I smile back.

 

 

“Don’t be too formal now sweetheart. We’re alone. You don’t have to call me Chairman” he stood up and slowly makes his way towards me.

 

 

“Neh Appa” he gave me a warm hug while I hug him back.

 

 

“You look marvelous sweetheart” I felt myself blush with his declaration.

 

 

We soon release each other from our embrace as he holds me in my shoulders. “How are you feeling? Bom said you had a jetlag.”

 

 

“I’m okay now. I guess I’m just tired. But I freaked out when I found out that I’m late and Bom didn’t wake me up” I heard him laugh softly as he usher me to sit in the sofa.

 

 

“What do you want to drink sweetheart?”

 

 

“I’m all good Appa.” Never the less he still gives me a glass of orange juice that he pours himself.

 

 

“Drink this first. I know you haven’t taken your breakfast yet” he put the glass in front of me.

 

 

“Komapseumnida”

 

 

“I’m sorry for not able to pick you up. Something came up” he said as he sat across me holding his own glass of orange juice.

 

 

“It’s okay Appa. I don’t want to be a bother either.” I answer softly as I hang my head low staring at my lap. I felt embarrass with all the accommodation he is giving me right now. I haven’t seen him for so long I felt shy all of a sudden.

 

 

“Stop the nonsense sweetheart. You don’t have to be shy. We’re family” he stressed the last word with so much conviction. I was stunned upon hearing his statement. I don’t know what to say so I remain silent. When I didn’t answer, he spoke again. “By the way, where do you plan on staying? Are you going to stay with Park Bom’s family?”

 

 

I look up and meet his eyes and I shook my head. “Aniyo. I won’t be staying there for long. I’m planning on finding myself an apartment or something”

 

 

“I knew you’d say that” he said grinning. ‘What is he planning now?’ I ask myself. He went to his table and grabs a brown envelope then he went back to where he sat awhile ago. He places the envelope in the table and pushes it towards me.

 

 

My brows furrowed as I look at the envelope in front of me then I look up to him again. But before I could even utter a word he beats me to it. “Take this. It’s a key and papers for your apartment” he smiles sheepishly while I gasp and he continues “Where you will be staying. It’s a few blocks away from here and is accessible to everything”

 

 

My eyes pop out from my sockets and rolled down the floor “But…. But… Appa… I can’t take this” I stutter. I didn’t know he would go to this extent to even offer me a place to stay.

 

 

“Take it. I won’t take no for an answer” his smile vanish.

 

 

“Does Aunt Eunjoo know anything about this?”

 

 

“Of course. Your Aunt Eunjoo was the one who picked that apartment. She spent a month to prepare your new home. When I told her that your coming back, she started to search for a good one and hand-picked all the furnitures.” he is now smiling again. He knows very well that if it’s Aunt Eunjoo, I wouldn’t refuse.

 

 

“Really? I should thank her then” Well, that’s the only reply I can give coz we both know that he wins this time.

 

 

The man across me is now beaming upon hearing my answer. His smiles extend from ear to ear. “You should visit us and we can have dinner together. I will give her a call later. I know she will be thrilled!”

 

 

“How are Aunt Eunjoo and Yoojin doing?”

 

 

“You’re Aunt is doing fine. She’s on her sixth month of pregnancy. Her condition right now is somewhat critical. She has to spend most of her time in bed as per doctor’s advice. That’s why she was not able to pick you up either.  Yoojin is doing great. She can say a few words already. You must visit her often. She doesn’t know you at all although we show her your pictures and tell her stories about you from time to time” the old man proclaims.

 

 

“She’s in critical condition yet she did that?! For me?!” Aigoo… I would die out of guilt if something happens to her and her baby.

 

 

“She’s just excited for your comeback sweetheart. No need to worry. Besides, you know how stubborn she is sometimes especially when it comes to OUR children.” He smiles warmly at me as he sense that I tense up upon hearing Aunt Eunjoo get herself and the baby in a not-so-good situation.

 

-----

 

You might be confused right now. Maybe asking why I have to leave separately from my father? And why I call his wife Aunt instead of Umma. Only selected people knew about this matter and that includes Bom and her family, my brother, Appa and Aunt Eunjoo then me. Well you see the man whom I call Appa is not really my father… He’s my step father, well, somewhat like that. He is my mother’s childhood friend. When my biological father left me and my mother, he took the responsibility to take care of us. When he learned about my mother’s dilemma, he never hesitated for a second and welcomed us into his home wholeheartedly.  I am really indebted to him for everything he has done until now for me and for my mother. He may not be my REAL father but he treats me like I’m his own. Even he has his own family now, he makes sure that I can feel secured, that he’s always around watching me, care for me, protect me and to love me.

 

 

 I grew up knowing that he is really my father, until I reached the age of 8. That’s the time when I found out that he and my mother where not really married, that he has been seeing someone else already. They explained that the reason they never told me earlier is because they are afraid of how it will affect me. But they both decided to tell me eventually because they can’t hide it forever from me. My mother was the one who persuaded Appa to reveal the truth.  It has been difficult as each year passed by especially for Aunt Eunjoo who just remained silent on the side letting Appa do everything for us. I know it also pained her. She’s the one who suffer the most. Well things have eventually turned up pretty well. They have been together for nine years before they got married. I can say that I am happy for them after enduring all the hardships they went through just because of us.

 

 

At first it is really hard for me to understand. I became more timid when other kids made fun of me.  That’s when Umma introduced me on playing the guitar. She had a band when she was young and she plays the guitar too. After school, I stayed most of the time at home learning how to play guitar until I get the hang of it and became better.

 

 

At one point in my life wherein it became disastrous, Appa took the liberty to take an action to prevent it from getting worse. He let me get away from the terrible and harsh reality I am facing. He was the one who convince me to go to New York and study there. He provided me everything I needed when things turn upside down. For me, he is the best father there is and I couldn’t ask for more.

 

 

Regarding my biological father, I could only hear him from Umma and Appa’s story. I knew his name and what he looks like though I never had the chance to meet him personally. My mom kept a picture of him. From what I heard, he’s a musician as well. He and my mom met when they had a gig in the past and things lead one thing to another. When he learned that my mom was pregnant, he left and never showed up since then. That crushed my mom’s dream and everything faltered and that’s when Appa came to the picture.

 

 

I can never imagine how our lives would be now if it weren’t for Appa.

 

 

About my mother, well, we can’t stay together due to some circumstances but she’s not far away from us though. I could still see her any time I want.

 

 

“When do you plan on visiting your mother?” Appa ask which brought me back to my trance.

 

 

“Huh?... Uhm… I’m…. I’m planning to visit her this Saturday.”

 

 

“Good… I know she missed you so much”

 

 

We stayed silent after. Neither of us spoke for a few minutes. We both avoid talking about our situation as it only causes us more pain. I heard him release a long sigh before he stood up. “C’mon… Let’s get your class schedules on the front desk then I’ll assist you on your next class.”

 

 

I didn’t say more as I followed behind him and exited on the door.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, How did this chapter go????

Do you guys like it????

Dara's past are starting to unveil... kekekeke

They will meet soon so keep reading... kekekeke