2-3 River's Pursuit of Romance

Professor Kang is Getting Married and I Want to Know with Whom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


 

YUJIN and Minjoo's eyes glittered at the sight of the table. As students who are living far from home, it's very rare for them to see a breakfast table already ready the moment they wake up.

"What are you girls doing?" Joohyun asked as she placed the egg roll on the table. "Dig in. You don't think I prepared all of this for myself, right?"

"T-Thank you, Professor Bae!"

The two quickly took their seats. Joohyun also silently sat down and picked her chopsticks. "Let's eat."

"We'll eat well, Professor! Please eat well~"

"Eung..."

Looking at it, the three really looked like a family. It's just the other parent is missing.

Joohyun woke up early and wasn't surprised that Seulgi wasn't around. The last time she got drunk was a disaster and she'd understand Seulgi if she makes distance just like this.

She was a bit surprised to see Minjoo sleeping beside her though she already knew that the girl was a goner last night. Minjoo entered the restroom while Joohyun and Seungwan were talking and she seemed like she was already in auto-pilot mode at that time. She managed to get in a cubicle but never went out. The two older ladies heard a flush but Minjoo didn't come out.

That's when the two decided to postpone their talk and have Yujin pick her best friend up. Seungwan proceeded to pay for the dinner while Joohyun went back to their table and saw Yujin giggling about her interactions with Jimin while her best friend's heart was breaking.

Joohyun could still remember driving Yujin away and chugging on the remaining soju but it seemed like she passed out somewhere in the middle of drinking. Everything was a blur after that but she could remember being carried. 

She took a shower right after waking up. Seulgi gave her her own place for clothes so it wasn’t really trouble for her to look for a change of clothes. She can do anything at Seulgi’s house and has already memorised where things are located. That's why it was really normal for her to cook in that place. 

And Yujin noticed all of it. 

They aren’t high school or college best friends to oftenly do sleepovers but it seems like they spend more time with each other than the usual best friends. 

“Yujin…” The girl was surprised when Minjoo suddenly called onto her. Her thinking bubble suddenly popped. Minjoo moved closer to her and she automatically leaned closer. “Sorry about last night. I didn’t know that I would be drunk that quickly.”

Yujin frowned a bit. “That’s because you didn’t eat a lot like usual. Of course, you will get drunk that easily. That was free meat, you know?”

Joohyun’s eyebrows rose. ‘She actually noticed that? I thought she was so fixated with the other student that she didn’t notice how Minjoo wasn’t eating…’

“I’m sorry… I guess I was a little out of the weather last night…” One can see the mixture of embarrassment and apology in Minjoo’s face. 

“You should’ve told me about it so we could’ve excused ourselves.” Yujin then placed her hand on Minjoo’s head. “Are you feeling better now?” 

This time, it’s only Joohyun’s left eyebrow that rose up. ‘What the heck? Did Seulgi actually find a copy of her? This kid smiles like her and acts like her. If I didn’t know anything then I would’ve already thought she has a thing for Minjoo.’

Minjoo nodded her head. “Professor Bae already gave me some hangover medicine earlier.”

That’s right. Minjoo woke up next to Professor Bae. The Professor, though widely known as the Ice Queen of their school, was very gentle and thoughtful enough to give her some medicine. She even made some hangover soup for them.

Also, Professor Bae gifted her something really nice earlier that day. For some unknown reason, her mentor borrowed her phone, launched the camera and started taking pictures of the sleeping Yujin on the couch. After getting satisfied with what she took, she coolly returned Minjoo’s phone without saying anything. Now, Minjoo has a whole album of a sleeping Yujin after a night out locked in her phone.

Minjoo then looked down and Yujin followed. Yujin’s eyes widened when she realised what Minjoo was inferring. She then started tapping her right thigh while smiling widely. “Don’t worry, Min! It’s okay! I am okay! Though you were freaking heavy, my knee is okay!”

“I am freaking heavy!?” Minjoo backed away in embarrassment but Yujin just laughed it off again. She pinched Minjoo’s cheek and went back to eating. 

“I was just joking, silly. You were really light though. You should eat more.”

‘Can I just kick these two out? Why are they so lovey-dovey in the morning when they aren’t even girlfriends?’ Joohyun rolled her eyes but then stopped mid-way when she realised something. “Is there something wrong with your knee, kid?”

“Ah, about that…” Yujin shyly scratched the back of her head. “I used to play basketball back in high school but I had an injury during a very important match. I got a complete ACL torn…”

“You used to play basketball and also had an injury?” Joohyun fell deep into her thoughts as she softly pinched her lower lip. “I now get why Seulgi is very fond of you.”

The student just laughed. “Prof. Kang only knows about me being a former basketball player. She doesn’t know that it was an injury that made me quit.”

“Were you good though?” Joohyun leaned forward. “To tell you, Seulgi was the ace of their team back then. She was really, really good!”

“Yujin was really a great player, too, Professor!” Minjoo answered before Yujin could even do it. “She was always part of the starting team and she was also considered one of their important players in the team.”

“Well, Seulgi was—” Joohyun stopped midway as she and Minjoo looked at each other. The two immediately looked away followed by the clearing of their throats.

“What’s up with you two?” Yujin asked, confused and amazed at the same time. “How come you two are in sync?”

“I see…” The professor chose not to comment anymore because she was having PTSD. “Let’s finish eating and quickly get out of this place.”

Minjoo agreed with the professor but Yujin knew she had to take this opportunity to ask things from Joohyun. She let Joohyun finish her food first before she took the step to finding out the truth. This is what the weird professor told her about anyway but first, she had to go around the bush.

”Prof. Bae, aren’t you going to ask where Prof. Kang went?” Yujin asked when she finally got the chance. The said professor just looked at her and sighed. 

“I bet she went to meet Seungwan.” Joohyun calmly answered. “Seungwan already told me that she would be going to a cafe with Seulgi after the dinner but then I messed up and took Seulgi away.”

”Ohh~ You didn’t plan that, did you?” Yujin asked in a teasing tone. 

“Would you like me to make you throw up everything that you have eaten?” Joohyun asked with a frown. “It was never my intention to get that drunk. I was still okay after I went to the restroom with Seungwan so I thought drinking more won’t hurt.”

”But you passed out. Keukeukeu~”

Yujin’s annoying laughter made Joohyun’s scowl deepen. “Do you want me to hold this personal against you and have you retake my subject five times?”

”Hey, Prof! Come on… Don’t be that scary!” Yujin scratched the back of her head while laughing but Joohyun felt like she was struck by lightning after hearing the word scary again. 

‘After making breakfast for them I thought I would finally hear the word ‘sweet’… This Seulgi minion is really 90% Seulgi…’

”D-Does it mean… Professor Kang spent the night at Director Son’s place?” Minjoo asked which made Yujin’s shoulders drop but the Professor showed no reaction. “S-She’s not yet back, right?”

Yujin just stayed silent, a little wary of Joohyun’s feelings. She was taking peeks at the professor until they heard a sigh from her. 

“No, I don’t think Seulgi stayed at Seungwan’s place.” Joohyun stated while tidying her plate. “If she stayed there then it would be good for her. I guess we can say that Seungwan is really her bride to be when she sleeps there.”

”W-What do you mean by that, Prof?” Yujin asked, surprised by the confidence Joohyun displayed with her answer. 

There went another sigh. “Seulgi doesn’t stay the night at someone else’s house unless they are in a relationship. She won’t even have her flings to spend the night here in her house.”

Yujin and Minjoo looked at each other before looking back at Joohyun. “Then where could she be at this time?” Yujin asked.

Joohyun stood up before answering back with another question. “Who knows?”

”P-Professor, if you don’t mind me asking, will you please tell me how Prof. Kang and Seungwan-ssi broke up?”

At Yujin’s panic that the conversation would just end there, she just spit her real intention right away. It wasn’t really like her to beat around the bush but since she got aware of the pain Professor Bae is experiencing, she unknowingly became gentle towards her. 

Joohyun was clearly taken aback when she dropped the question. They stared at each other for quite a while, but Yujin didn’t back down. She knew she had to show Joohyun her need to know this information.

”I-I’ll go make coffee for us while we talk about it!” Minjoo also stood up and looked at Yujin with a smile. Seeing that signal from her best friend, Yujin thanked her with a smiley nod before turning back to Joohyun.

”Professor, please—“

”Hot chocolate.” Joohyun turned around and went to the kitchen. “I don’t like coffee.”

 

 

 

MINJOO placed the hot chocolate that she prepared on the coffee table. It was powdered cocoa that Joohyun told her the location. The professor even told her how she prefers it made and the student made it the exact same way the professor wanted.

Yujin was even joking that Minjoo now has a way to pass her classes with Professor Bae only to be smashed back by Joohyun with the fact that it’s only Yujin who needed some magic to pass because of her poor performance in her class.

The two watched Joohyun take a sip of the drink and were relieved to see her face brighten up. It seemed like Minjoo really succeeded with her bribe.

”Now, you want to know how Seulgi and Seungwan broke up, right?” Joohyun straightened her back after placing her mug back to the table. 

“Yes, Professor.” Yujin took out her tablet and readied herself to jot down notes. “I believe it will help me further my investigation.”

Joohyun rolled her eyes followed by a sigh. “You say so.”

”One won’t help to be curious, right? [RPoR] was a very well executed romantic comedy that also ended happily. The last chapter has River and Wendy’s wedding and then ends with them having their first child they named Roman. But the real life people where they are based eventually broke up in real life. I want to know what really happened.”

Minjoo nodded at Yujin's statement. “As far as I can remember, there was an arc where River and Wendy’s relationship was put on the rocks because of Wendy’s parents who wanted her to focus on her dream of being an idol. Is it the same in real life, Professor?”

”It is.” Joohyun answered after taking another sip, traces of the drink were on the side of her lips and Yujin and Minjoo watched her it. For that short moment, the two were distracted about the dangerous beauty the professor in front of them has. Joohyun in casual clothing didn’t help at all. They just went back to focus when Joohyun looked back at them.

”Y-You mean, it was really because of her parents?” Yujin asked, which was answered with a nod by Joohyun.

”Right. But it was certainly not because they wanted her to focus on her dream to become a popular theatre actress.” Joohyun looked outside and sighed. “What do you think is the reason why River is a guy when the inspiration was a girl in real life?”

Joohyun gave the two some time to process and she could see their mouths opening even in her peripheral vision. Yujin’s fists clenched.

”D-Don’t tell me… they were forced to break up because of that…”

“Eung…” Joohyun pressed her lips together. “Turning River into a guy was the only way she could have the ending that she desired.”



 

 



 

Last night…

 

“SORRY, my home is still really messy. I haven’t cleaned since I just slept in when I arrived.” 

Seulgi just smiled at Seungwan, basically saying that there’s nothing to worry about the state of her house. Since it was late and most cafes were already closed at that time, the two resorted to just do the talk at Seungwan’s place.

“Still feeling a little jetlag?” Seulgi asked as she was removing her shoes. 

“Yes…” Seungwan answered with a chuckle. “I thought the alcohol would help me sleep but something is really keeping me awake.”

“Hm?” Seulgi hummed before going in. She looked around since it was the first time in that house of Seungwan. It’s been years since she gave her a house visit anyway. They would only meet outside or after the stages where Seulgi would come for support. “You got a really good house though. It’s really spacey.”

“Yeah, for someone who’s almost always not around, this is indeed quite big.” Wendy stated as she followed Seulgi inside. “This is my… parents’ gift to me when I landed my first main role.” She then gestured for Seulgi to take a seat.

“Wow, your parents are really something~” Seulg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter