3-3 Just Like That

Professor Kang is Getting Married and I Want to Know with Whom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

IT was just 8 in the morning but Yujin was already up. She was walking back and forth in front of Jimin and Minjoo's room with that restless look on her face. She kept repeating one word, again and again...

"Assurance... Assurance... Assurance..." She then ruffled her hair. Her heart was beating so loudly, she could even feel her strong pulse by her temple. "I just need to be true to her. I need to express my feelings properly to avoid confusing her. I should–AAACK!"

Yujin shrieked when the door suddenly opened. It was Minjoo who came out and the girl looked utterly shocked at how Yujin shouted. The two stared at each other for a moment and frozen Yujin turned red in embarrassment. 

"W-What's up with you?" Minjoo asked as she carefully came out. "Are you waiting here for Jimin? She's almost done preparing."

"W-W-W-Well, I–" Yujin slapped herself which made Minjoo worried. 

"What's wrong with you!?" Minjoo asked as she took a hold of Yujin. The slap was so hard Yujin's cheek turned red. "Ya..."

'Don't cause confusion. Don't cause confusion! You're a straightforward person too, Yujin! You don't have to be a coward just like your mentor!' Yujin nodded at herself before looking back at Minjoo. She held Minjoo's hand that was holding her by the wrist just earlier. 

"Minjoo..." She called, her eyes focused on her startled best friend. "Later... should we ditch the afternoon activities and go around by ourselves?"

"Yes?" Minjoo's eyes widened even more. "F-For what?"

Yujin hurriedly reached out for the phone in her pocket. The shaking of her hand was so evident. She even failed to open her browser app right away because of nervousness. "H-Here..."

She showed Minjoo a blog post about a nearby cafe. "I-I found this one before coming here. L-Let's go there later to have some time on our own."

"T-Time? Just the two of us?" The other girl asked in disbelief. "But–"

"I just really want to spend some alone time with you." Yujin stressed out, her voice even raised a bit. "If... it's okay with you... Just the two of us."

Minjoo felt her cheeks burning. 'W-What is this? Why is she like this? Since yesterday she's been... weird...'

"A-Alright." Right after Minjoo agreed, Yujin's face lit up so bright that the other girl felt like she was dazzled. She looked like a puppy excited for a walk. Minjoo couldn't help but to smile at the cuteness. Whatever it is that's making Yujin act like that then she'll just ask about it later. "I'll find a place for lunch then."

"Okay!" Yujin finally let go of Minjoo. "I'll tell Professor Kang about the plan then."

And as if on cue, Jimin came out of the room and was surprised to see the two together. She just smiled at them, relieved that things are getting back to normal between the two best friends. 

"I guess it's a good morning for the two of you?" Jimin chuckled. "Let's go down. They are already waiting for us at the breakfast table."

The three went down and were surprised with what they arrived at. There was no home-made breakfast at the table; instead, bread and coffee were served by Seungwan. Sitting on the middle chair was Seulgi who was reading a newspaper. 

Yujin had to squint her eyes to confirm if she’s seeing things correctly. Seulgi’s hair was tied in a tight low ponytail. Her bangs were brushed back and were fixed in their position. The professor was also wearing her thick glasses and a very casual buttoned shirt. 

“What the heck?” The disciple uttered under her breath. 

“She’s gone mad.” Minjeong, who was already downstairs, joined the three. “Apparently she was reprimanded by someone from school.”

“What happened?” Jimin asked. “Did she tell you?”

Minjeong nodded before letting out a sigh. “She took a group picture of us yesterday, right? She uploaded it on her SNS and it was seen by one of the higher-ups. She was scolded for taking students on a trip.”

“What’s wrong with that?” Yujin asked. “It’s not that we’re doing something bad. It was actually really fun yesterday. It was my first time in the kayak and the cart race.”

“We can’t please all people anyway. It might seem harmless but some people don’t see it that way.” Seungwan joined the younger generation in their discussion. “People can make hundreds of stories in just one picture.”

“But why is she… looking so proper then?” Minjoo asked. “I thought she borrowed Professor Bae’s wardrobe.”

“You’ll find out.” Seungwan gave them an apologetic smile. “Let’s go have breakfast.”

The younger generation carefully followed Seungwan on the dining table. They all froze when Seulgi noticed them. The professor folded her newspaper and cleared . 

“What’s wrong? Sit down.”

Even the professor’s tone was different. Her usual approachable voice has disappeared. The kids hurriedly grabbed their seats and sat properly. Seulgi started eating her sandwich and the girls hesitantly grabbed theirs as well. 

“We are not going outside today.” Seulgi suddenly said that made the other look at her. 

“I-Is it free time?” Yujin asked, a smile slowly growing on her face. “Is it fine if I go out–”

“Yujin-ssi, did you hear what I just said?” Seulgi looked at her with those intimidating eyes. “I said, we are not going out today.”

“It has started…” Minjeong shook her head.

“But why? We came all the way to Jeju just to stay inside?” Yujin complained. “Come on, Prof!”

Seulgi’s eyes narrowed. She placed her sandwich back on her plate. “Professors are not allowed to have fun with their students. Professors should only be guiding their students in a rightful education and bright future. Professors should act like professors.”

She then raised her glasses a bit before crossing her arms. “Jimin-ssi, Yujin-ssi, Minjoo-ssi, let’s do a review of your final projects. Let me see how things are going on with your stories.”

Yujin’s eyes widened. She hasn’t started anything yet. She stealthily looked at Jimin and Minjoo and the two didn’t seem worried at all. “I’m dead…”

“Director Son and Minjeong-ssi are not excused as well. You both practice on your own. From this time on, this isn’t a trip anymore. This is a workshop!”

“But Professor—”

“No more buts, Yujin-ssi!” Seulgi pointed at her with her rolled newspaper. “You have a professor with you and that professor should be guiding you to the right path.”

“Such a killjoy…” Minjeong murmured.

“Are you saying anything, Minjeong-ssi?” Minjeong flinched at that question from Seulgi. “Do you want me to be the one to give you a mission? How about you fill me a bucket of tears?”

“Are you going to kill me?” Minjeong asked in disbelief.

“The professor’s word is final!” Seulgi even used the newspaper as a gavel. “This is now called ‘workshop in Jeju’!”

Seulgi received quite a good scolding from their strict, senior professor. The said professor has been targeting Seulgi even before because she's different among the other professors. Seulgi explained to her many times that school shouldn't be a place to program students but a place where they can discover and improve their talent and creativity. The senior professor just won't listen to her reasons and never acknowledged her point of view.

There are times that the senior professor would also point out her SNS posts which Seulgi found really irritating because there was nothing wrong with her posts at all. The eyes of the old woman were really hot whenever it landed on her. She'd just point out everything.

Usually, Seulgi would just respectfully end the conversation but ignore all the unrequited suggestions for change but last night was different.

Seulgi was already annoyed of what's happening. She was hating on herself last night and the last thing she would want to hear was a very uptight senior professor scrutinising her whole being and trying to flatten out everything she doesn't like about Seulgi. Extremely pissed, Seulgi didn't just end up hiding the post, she deleted it and ultimately just deactivated her account.

Annoyance didn't leave her until morning as she started rebelling against herself. She changed her fashion with whatever she can find in accordance to what the senior professor wants to see on her.

Yep, she didn't delete her imaginary engagement post, she just deactivated her account.

"Old Seulgi is gone." The professor said while flattening her bangs that were trying to escape. "Call me 'Seulgi the Ascended'."

"Ascended? Isn't it more like 'Seulgi the High'?"

Seulgi burst into laughter after that hit back from Yujin. "Oh my! It's my type of joke! HAHAHA—" The professor suddenly froze and so were the people watching her. She slowly fixed her posture and cleared . "Any disrespect of your professor is now prohibited. I am not your friend. I am your respected mentor. Now go and finish your breakfast so we can start our workshop!"

"She's really gone nuts."

"Two buckets of tears, Minjeong-ssi!"

"What the–!?"

The workshop of Seulgi the Hi–the Ascended started right away after they finished breakfast. The aspiring writers were asked about the plot of their stories and the progress of their writing. Jimin and Minjoo didn't even sweat while doing their surprise report. Jimin said that she was writing a fantasy-themed story about a boy raised by the wolves, his journey to being a hwarang, his sins and his relationship with the princess of their kingdom. Minjoo said that she was torn into two plots but ended up writing about one exchange student’s love story in Chicago.

Yujin, on the other hand, couldn't report anything at all which spoiled Seulgi's mood.

"We don't have all the time in the world, Yujin-ssi. At the very least you should have a plot in mind now." Seulgi crossed her arms and legs. Yujin thought that she would be roasted but Seulgi just sighed. She pulled off her hair tie and ruffled her hair to free her bangs. "I am sorry. I know it's probably partially my fault that you haven't started yet. I'll make sure not to play with you from now on. I am such a failure as a mentor."

"P-P-Prof!" The students panicked at the sight of Seulgi having her head down. "Y-You don't have to apologise! The time I spend with you relieves my stress from my academics!"

"Meh. I am still at fault." Seulgi looked away with those lazy eyes. "Make sure you present me with a plot before we leave this island or else you'll be staying here."

"Prof..." Yujin gave an awkward chuckle. "You're joking, right?"

"Of course, I am joking. But seriously, give me a plot before we leave." Seulgi took a stretch but her buttoned shirt was so tight she felt so restricted. "I am going to suffocate. This isn't just my frame."

The students felt what Seulgi was trying to say. They had a better view of their professor after that conversation with Yerim last night. She hides all her fears and setbacks through her bubbly personality but they are still there. They are only hidden but they haven't disappeared.

"Since we're into writing anyway, what made you guys decide on being a writer anyway?" Seulgi leaned forward, sitting comfortably like a street gangster. "Your resolve about being a writer hasn't changed, pup?"

Yujin smiled when she heard she was called pup. She couldn't believe she would be happy being called that way again. "It hasn't changed. I still want to create worlds where people can feel different kinds of emotions."

"Okay." Seulgi nodded before turning to Minjoo. "How about you, froggy?"

"F-Froggy?" Yujin chuckled at the surprised reaction of Minjoo. "W-Well, I have been writing a lot of stories since I was young and I really love reading stories as well. I want to be able to enjoy my job, that's why I decided to take writing as my profession."

"Ohh~ That's very reasonable." Seulgi agreed. "No wonder I can feel that you really love what you are doing with your school works. It's because you really enjoy writing. That's very nice... How about you, hmmm..."

Seulgi's eyes squinted as she took a better look at Jimin's face. "How about you, snakey?"

Jimin just laughed. It felt like she was already expecting that. "To be very honest, for me, it's–"

Seulgi’s eyes widened in slow motion while absorbing everything that Jimin was saying. She then turned to Yujin who looked really shocked as well. The younger girl then twitched when she felt Minjoo holding her hand under the table. Her best friend looked so worried. Minjoo seemed like she would cover Yujin’s ears if she could. 

Jimin smiled wider after telling her reason. Her cheeks were blushing and she looked so cute… and so in love. “I have never told anyone about this. I haven’t even told Minjeong about it but I feel like I learned something very important about you, Professor. That’s why I am telling you something that’s very important for me.”

“A-Ah…” Seulgi gulped. “T-Thank you for sharing…” The professor couldn’t even look straight at the student. She cleared and tried to compose herself. “B-But, don’t be so dedicated to one person, if he disappears then you might have a hard time trying to get back to writing.”

“I understand.” Jimin accepted Seulgi’s advice deep in her heart. “I know that I might get hurt if things don’t go well in the end but I am willing to build my life around him. It’s my dream to write a script where he will be the protagonist.”

Seulgi turned to Yujin who was still in disbelief. The girl was just staring into an empty space. ‘I don’t know if her not being able to confess was a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter