AVOIDANCE

Bloodline

 

I finally got rid of my writers block so I've been able to write chapters in one day. Wish me luck on the rest :)

-----------------------------------

 

CHAPTER 11

AVOIDANCE

 

Taemin was reluctant. He wanted to hold Minho's hand as they walked the snowy, crowded streets of the winter carnival, but he held back the urge.

They would get stares if he did it.

The cold fingers interlocking with his surprised Taemin. He looked at Minho, his smile spreading from ear to ear.

"What ride do you want to try first?" Minho asked, pulling Taemin closer to him.

"The Ferris wheel." Taemin said, gripping tight to Minho's arm.

"I was afraid you were going to say that." Minho said cringing at the thought of being so high up.

Taemin dragged him along as he tried to resist.

Like a child Taemin looked over the railing of the Ferris wheel seat, enjoying seeing how little the world beneath him looked. He liked being high up, away from everyone with only Minho by his side.

"Taemin-ah?" Taemin turned to see Minho staring up at the star stutted sky.

"Yeah?" Taemin said scootching closer to him.

"If you could have one wish in this entire world come true, what would it be?" Minho stared into his eyes, sorrow filled them.

"To be with you forever. As long as I can get that, than I'll be fine." Taemin placed his hand on Minho's cheek, lifted an inch off the seat and kissed him dearly as an attempt to cheer him up.

"Me too." Minho said as Taemin laid his head on top of his shoulder and waited for the wheel to continue turning.

#

 

As they grew closer to Taemin's house, Minho didn't know how to say goodbye.

He knew that this would be worse than exile. Being around Taemin, but having no contact. Not kissing him, not being able to feel his body. Would he even be able to survive this kind of banding?

When they stopped, Minho begged for them to keep going. Anything to make their last night together last.

He grabbed Taemin's hands. Linked his fingers in between his and wished for something that would never come true.

"Today was so much fun." Taemin smiled, throwing his arms around Minho. "I hope we can do it again."

Mianhae, Taemin-ah. Minho pleaded for forgiveness within himself. His grip growing tighter around Taemin.

 

#

 

Jonghyun waited outside the gates guarding their home. His personality had made a complete change since the mention of the Darklings. He was no longer his playful self. He was being serious. That way he could be alert for whenever they chose to strike.

"Did you do it?" Jonghyun asked approaching Minho.

Minho nodded and intended to walk away. All he wanted was to crawl into his bed and try to forget. To forget their bond, the times they had and to forget Taemin himself.

"Why?" Jonghyun grabbed Minho's arm and whipped him around to face him.

"Our family depended on it." Minho pulled his arm out of Jonghyun's hand.

"Will you be okay?" Jonghyun knew that was a stupid question to ask even before it came out.

"No!" Minho snapped. "You have no clue what it's like having to give up the closest thing you have to living again in order to protect your family. You have no idea what it's like finding someone you could never live without and having to live without them!"

Minho brought back his fist and brought it forward in one swift motion. Jonghyun didn't dodge it because he knew that what his little brother needed right now was to blow off the steam building up in him.

"When you find out what that feels like then you can comfort me, but until then, just let it go."

Jonghyun rubbed his cheek as Minho went inside. His little brother was strong. Strong enough to make him wince in pain.

That boy is going to be in even more danger without you. Jonghyun thought trying to keep Minho from hearing him.

#

 

Taemin waited by the school entrance, he had his phone opened up in front of him. He couldn't stop gazing at the photo.

All night he couldn't stop looking at it. He never had a picture of himself where he was actually smiling, until now.

Minho had his arm around him. Smiles on both faces. Even now he couldn't make that smile disappear.

"Taemin-ah!" Taemin closed the phone and looked up, hoping to see Minho but saw Donghae running to him.

Taemin sighed in disappointment.

He was worried. They usually med up by now. He could call Minho, but he hadn't picked up the phone morning. Taemin figured it was probably because he forgot to recharge it.

"Let's get going before we're late." Donghae grabbed onto Taemin's wrist and pulled him.

Taemin wanted to wait a little longer, but he was no match for Donghae's brute strength.

He went the whole day without so much as a text or an appearance from Minho. He didn't show up for lunch and when they had their free period, Taemin looked everywhere for him.

Taemin climbed the stairs, taking each one carefully. He had his hands paced together, praying that Minho was on the roof. It was his place.

He was relieved when he opened the door and captured Minho leaning against the fence as he often did when he was troubled.

"Minho?" Taemin stood still the moment Minho looked down at him. For the first time he saw nothing behind Minho's eyes. It was just an empty shell. "Have you been up here the entire time?"

"You shouldn't have come looking for me." His words were even scarier.

"But..."

Minho cut him off. "I don't want to be with you."

Taemin tried to figure him out. "Minho, please..."

#

 

Minho ran to Taemin, retracted his fangs and brought it to his neck, stopping only a few centimeters from it.

He took one last whiff of Taemin's scent. He hoped that that could hold him off until he was ready for exile, then stepped away. He walked passed Taemin and stopped.

"Don't come near me again or I won't stop next time." He wanted to throw up on each word.

Minho began walking toward the door, but stopped. He reached for his chest, clutching onto his jacket. He finally felt it.

His breaking heart.