Stage 4: The Adjustment

5 Stages of Relationship
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taeyeon absentmindedly played with the lock button on her iPhone. She kept pressing the button causing the screen to lit up and out each second. Every time the screen lit up, only the lock screen wallpaper showed up on the screen, no notification showed. She pressed the button again, to light up the screen and that was when her phone was snatched from her grip.

 

“I hate to see you like this.” Yuri was now the one who held Taeyeon’s phone, prevented the latter to play with the lock button again.

 

Taeyeon groaned before throwing her back to the couch rest. But she said nothing at Yuri. It had been like this in the past two days. Taeyeon would come over to Yuri’s place after work, did nothing but staring at her phone, as if waiting for someone to call or to text her. But to no avail, there was nothing from the person she had waited for. On the first day, Yuri didn’t do anything about this, but today, she got tired of watching Taeyeon acted this way.

 

“It’s not like you’re having a break-up, Taeng.” She tried to knock some senses to her short friend. “How long have you known each other? Two weeks, right? Why are you acting as if you just ended a two-year relationship?” She continued.

 

Taeyeon pouted as she stared blankly at the ceiling. “I failed to manage my expectation, Yul.” She sighed loudly. “I even almost believed that Santa is real and Fany is the Christmas present he has prepared for me.” She closed her eyes as she exhaled. “What a stupid thought, I gave up on the idea of marriage but I almost believed that Santa is real.”

 

Yuri chuckled at what Taeyeon said as she returned the phone back to her friend. “Just contact her if you don’t want to let her go.”

 

Taeyeon opened her eyes and took the phone. “N’ah, she said there’s no point of being in a relationship if we do not share the same dream.” She stared blankly at her phone locked phone screen. She actually wanted to do what Yuri told her to do. These past two weeks had been delightful for Taeyeon and she didn’t want to end it like this. Even though they could not end up as lovers, she still wished that she could be friends with Tiffany. Tiffany was kind, she had a good sense of humor, they clicked well since their first meeting. It would be her loss if she lost a person like Tiffany.

 

“You guys are in your thirties. Act like adults, would you?” Yuri flicked Taeyeon’s forehead.

 

“Ouch!” Taeyeon rubbed her forehead. “We are doing exactly what adults do, Yul. We understand the roadblock. We have different visions about life. So, we don’t waste each other time and put it to an end.”

 

“That’s great! If you already put it to an end, no need to act like you’re broken hearted then.” Yuri scoffed.

 

“I am not broken hearted!” Taeyeon retorted. “I just feel it’s a shame to lose someone as attractive and as jolly as Tiffany.”

 

Yuri chuckled at how Taeyeon countered. “Taeng, you really like her, right?”

 

“Who doesn’t like a girl like Fany?”

 

“Are you sure, you really want to end it? You don’t want to try?”

 

“What is there to try? I really have no plan to get married or to build a family. I can’t do that, Yul. We both know there’s no such future for lesbians in this country.” She hurled.

 

“I know there’s no such future for people like us here.” Yuri calmly replied. “I am not questioning your plan or her dream. I didn’t ask whether you would like to try changing your view on marriage.”

 

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows. “I am lost.”

 

“What I asked was whether you’re sure you want to end it? You don’t wanna try to discuss further with her?”

 

Taeyeon didn’t say anything, as she tried to absorb Yuri’s advice. Deep down, she knew she didn’t want this to end. But, she also didn’t want to waste her time trying out a relationship that had different goals. She let out a loud sigh again. “I think I need more time to think.”

 

 

***

 

 

“So, you’re saying that you and Taeyeon is done?” Jessica concluded what Tiffany just told her as she applied her night cream.

 

“She doesn’t want to get married, Jess.” Tiffany whined in Jessica’s bed.

 

“So, it ends?” Jessica reconfirmed.

 

“What’s the point of continuing this if it leads nowhere?” Tiffany asked back.

 

“You keep beating around the bush. Just answer with yes or no, would you?” Jessica rolled her eyes.

 

“I don’t want to.” Tiffany mumbled, as if she was unsure about her answer.

 

Jessica finally smiled at the answer. “I knew it.” She concluded as she put her night cream on the vanity and get on the bed, next to Tiffany. “I’ve never seen you this restless over something that is unofficial yet. What’s so special about her, though?”

 

“I don’t know. I feel like we’re really clicked. Every time I’m with her, I feel like I can be myself. Talking to her is also very easy. You know that I no longer have too many criteria for a girlfriend, right? I only need someone who is easy to talk to. And Taeyeon is so easy to talk to. I can talk about anything to her. So I was really disappointed when finding out that she had given up the idea of having family.” She answered with a frown on her face.

 

“So, Taeyeon decided to end this because you wanna build a family and she doesn’t?” Jessica asked.

 

“Well, not really.” Tiffany’s answer was hesitant.

 

“So you ended it?”

 

“Uhm, nope.”

 

Jessica sighed. “So who ended it?”

 

“No one…” Tiffany let out a huff. “But! She stopped contacting me after that day. So, maybe she’s the one who ends this.”

 

“Aish, Tiff…” Jessica slipped herself under the duvet and laid down. “You’re saying that you assumed Taeyeon wanted this to end because she stopped contacting you after that conversation?”

 

“Isn’t that an obvious clue that she doesn’t want to continue this?”

 

“That’s your assumption.” Jessica winded it up as she closed her eyes. “Maybe you should contact her and talk this out with her.”

 

“What’s left to talk about?” Tiffany pouted as she mirrored Jessica’s position.

 

“Everything about you and her. At least, if you both want this to end, you guys get proper closure and won’t be bothered with ‘what if’ questions later on. Now, I wanna sleep. Good night, Tiff.”

 

Tiffany stayed quiet for a while, thinking that Jessica might be right. If it really ended, at least she would get a proper closure. “Good night, Jess.”

 

 

***

 

 

It was almost midnight and Tiffany could not sleep. Her mind was occupied by Jessica’s words earlier. She took her phone from the bed post and she opened katalk app. She scrolled down a bit to find Taeyeon’s name. She opened the last chat she had with Taeyeon which was two days ago. She read last few lines on the screen.

 

Taeng: Need to spend more time with her before Sica steals her away from me :(
Fany: LOL, silly. You speak as if I won’t steal you away from her
Taeng: You speak as if I will allow you
Fany: I know you will. Just you wait and see :p
Taeng: Looking forward to that! Now, I am gonna spend my time with Yul. Don’t be jealous
Fany: Okay, cutie. See you soon!

 

She frowned after she read. She still remembered the giddy feelings she had when she typed that she would steal Taeyeon away from Yuri. It was two days ago, and here they were, being all awkward after finding out their views about marriage. She closed her eyes, remembering good times she had with Taeyeon. It was only two weeks since they knew each other but she knew, she really liked Taeyeon. She opened her eyes again and looked blankly at the screen of their last chat when suddenly a new message popped up.

 

Taeng: Hi
Taeng: Are yo

Please log in to read the full chapter