Stage 1: The Encounter

5 Stages of Relationship
Please log in to read the full chapter

The window was foggy due to the difference of temperature between two different spaces. The cold breezy night outdoor, where all the Christmas decoration lit up the pavements; and the warm cozy cafe where Taeyeon sat comfortably in one of the brown couch next to the window. The hot chocolate she ordered was still steaming. She was excited to be in this cafe tonight, ever since she graduated from University, it was so hard to meet up with her best friends. Especially now they were in their thirties, it was definitely not easy just to fit the schedule. But one thing hadn’t changed, They always managed to secure their time for one Christmas dinner — well, not really a Christmas dinner because it never happened during Christmas night, though. She stole a glance at the clock on the wall, showing it was ten to seven, ten minutes before their appointment schedule. She was here thirty minutes earlier than scheduled because she was too excited. She then took her phone and took a picture of her hot chocolate before sending it to the group chat she had with her best friend.

 

Taeng: [sent picture]

Taeng: I am already here

 

She then put her phone back on the table and looked around the cafe. The cafe was not empty, but it was also not full. There were some people who had their laptops opened, some people enjoying their coffee while playing with their phones, and there was this one pretty woman sitting in the table next to her who was reading a book, a sight rarely seen these days where most people would have their eyes glued to the screen of their smartphones. Taeyeon unknowingly put her attention to the woman. Long jet black hair, her skin seemed really smooth, she didn’t wear too much make up, her lips covered by pinkish lipstick shade. She was in a dark red sweater with patterns of white small deer making several line. Taeyeon was sure that it was not the first time she saw the pattern, she then checked the sweater she wore and chuckled noticing she wore the same sweater as the woman except for the color. What she wore was dark green instead of dark red. She shook her head in amusement, among 50 million people in South Korea, she bumped into this woman who wore the same sweater as her in this cafe. She smiled at the realization while thinking that it would be cute if the woman was apparently her soulmate she hadn’t met yet. She was about to look at the woman again when a ding from her phone took her attention away. She unlocked her phone and saw a reply in her group chat.

 

Yul: Taeng, my friend is already there

Yul: I told her to join your table

 

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows, she didn’t remember any of her friends would bring another friend for today’s dinner.

 

Taeng: Your friend? You didn’t tell us you’re gonna bring friend

Taeng: And how can she know which table I am in? She doesn’t even know how do I look like

 

Taeyeon kept looking at her phone, waiting for Yuri’s explanation, when a husky voice greeted her ears.

 

“Excuse me.”

 

Taeyeon looked up and her eyes met a beautiful pair of smiling eyes. It was so dazzling, she couldn’t even blink.

 

“Are you Taeyeon?”

 

Taeyeon blinked her eyes couple of time trying to keep herself together, and put her focus to find out who was the woman in front of her. Long jet black hair, beautiful eye smile, smooth fair skin, pinkish lipstick shade, dark red sweater with pattern of white small deer. It was the woman she previously observed. The woman was even more attractive up close.

 

“Uhm, are you Taeyeon?” The woman asked again after not getting any response from Taeyeon.

 

“Ah, yes. And you are?” Taeyeon wasn’t sure she knew this woman in front of here. Couple seconds ago this woman was a total stranger she saw in a cafe.

 

“Ah, thank God I am not greeting the wrong person.” The woman’s face was full of relief after got Taeyeon’s confirmation. “I am Tiffany.” The woman bowed at Taeyeon, and Taeyeon was surprised with the respectful manner. She immediately stood up and bowed at the woman as well.

 

“Do I know you Tiffany-ssi?” Taeyeon asked uncertainly as she believed she didn’t have any friend named Tiffany. She straightened her body and Tiffany mirrored her.

 

“Well, I am Yuri’s friend. She told me to join your table.” Tiffany chuckled after explaining herself. “It’s awkward, isn’t it?”

 

Taeyeon chuckled along as she gestured Tiffany to join her table. “Feel free to choose where you’re going to sit.”

 

The couch was a long U-shaped, circling around a rectangle table. It fitted eight to ten people. Taeyeon sat at one end of the U, and she scooted to the middle so Tiffany could choose either side. To Taeyeon’s surprise, Tiffany decided to sit next to her.

 

“Do you mind?” Tiffany asked Taeyeon as soon as she took the seat.

 

“No, not at all.” Taeyeon tried to answer coolly, masking her excitement of getting to know the woman she checked out not long ago. “By the way, how could you know that I am Taeyeon?”

 

Tiffany seemed to hold her laugh as she showed her phone screen which showing a picture of Taeyeon in a frog costume from Halloween years ago. “Yuri sent me your picture.”

 

Taeyeon groaned as she stared at the picture Tiffany showed. The picture Yuri sent to Tiffany was not her best picture. If Tiffany were gay, and they met through dating app, with that picture Tiffany would definitely swipe left. “She could’ve sent you my better picture from instagram but she chose to send that picture instead. Annoying.” Taeyeon mumbled in annoyance, earning a soft chuckle from Tiffany.

 

“Anyway, do you prefer silence or talks?” Tiffany asked again.

 

<
Please log in to read the full chapter