Stage 3: The Disappointment

5 Stages of Relationship
Please log in to read the full chapter

One week felt like a flash for Taeyeon. It was December 17 already, exactly one week before Christmas night. She opened her katalk to find a name that had been on the top of her chat list this past one week: Tiffany. Ever since the blind date that Yuri set-up for her and Tiffany, they exchanged their contact and not a day was spent without them talking or chatting to each other. Both women openly showed their interest to each other. When they wanted to see each other, they would ask the other person’s availability. There was no push and pull. Only simple pulls, dating in your adulthood was surely different compared to when you were teenagers.

 

Taeng: Are you free today?

 

Taeyeon put her phone on her working desk without locking it, waiting for the reply from Tiffany.

 

Fany: Aside from gym schedule at 10am, I am free.
Fany: Where are you taking me?

 

Taeyeon smiled at the second message she read. This is one of the traits Taeyeon liked from Tiffany. The latter didn’t beat around the bush. She was straightforward, so it was easy for Taeyeon to understand what was in her mind.

 

Taeng: Up for a cup of coffee in the afternoon?

 

Her phone rang while she waited for the reply, flashing Tiffany’s name on the screen.

 

“Yes, Fany?” She immediately picked up the phone.

 

“Hi Tae. I am too lazy to type.” Tiffany’s voice filled Taeyeon’s ear. Taeyeon chuckled at Tiffany’s explanation.

 

“Where are you?” Taeyeon had a smile on her face. The smile that always rose every time she talked to Tiffany.

 

“Home, reading a novel.”

 

“The baby boomer is having her quality time.” Teased Taeyeon.

 

“Yah!” Tiffany yelled. “Just because I love to read, doesn’t mean I am a baby boomer.” She ended it with a huff.

 

“Kidding, Fany.” Taeyeon laughed at the response. “So, up for a coffee this afternoon?”

 

“Will 3 pm works for you?”

 

“Sounds good.” Taeyeon nodded at the offer. “Any cafe you would like to visit?”

 

“What about Midlevel?”

 

“Ah, the one near SNU?”

 

“Yes! I crave for some sweets. I heard their cream-filled waffles are great.” Tiffany sounded lively.

 

Taeyeon smiled wider. “Alright, Midlevel at 3 pm?” Taeyeon concluded.

 

“Wait, will you go directly to Midlevel from your home?”

 

“I plan to go to Yuri’s place first. Why?”

 

“I will fetch you, then. I need to drop Jess in Yuri’s place.”

 

“Sounds great. So, see you later?”

 

“See you soon! Bye, Tae.”

 

Taeyeon hung up the phone still with a smile on her face. She put her phone back on the desk and opened her laptop. She still had couple of hour to watch some youtube videos before preparing herself to go to Yuri’s place.

 

 

***

 

 

Taeyeon keyed-in the code and the door lock opened. She then opened the door and stepped into a studio apartment unit. She looked around but the owner of the unit was not inside.

 

“Yuri-yah,” She called out her friend’s name but no one answered her. She slid out her phone from her jean’s pocket and called her friend. It took several ring until the person picked up her phone.

 

“Where are you?” Taeyeon immediately asked once the phone was answered.

 

“Mini market downstair. You’ve arrived already?” Her friend asked back.

 

“Yup.” Taeyeon took off her shoes and walked towards two seater sofa in front of the TV. “I will just lounge about here. Bring some chips, will you?”

 

“Yah! Why are you bossing me around?” Yuri protested, earning a laugh from Taeyeon.

 

“Kidding, Yul.” Taeyeon still laughed.

 

“Whatever. You’re annoying.” Yuri answered with a scoff.

 

“You love me nonetheless.”

 

“No, I love my Sica.”

 

“Ewww! Love sick teenager!” Taeyeon laughed again.

 

“Shut up!” Yuri laughed along. “I will come upstair in a bit. I am hanging up the phone now. Bye, shorty.” Yuri ended the call.

 

“Aish!” Taeyeon stared at her phone screen. “How can she hang up after calling me short,” She sneered before opened katalk app and tapped on Tiffany’s contact.

 

Taeng: I am at Yuri’s

 

A reply came fast.

 

Fany: It’s only 12. You’re there already?
Taeng: Yes, gonna have quality time with Yul
Fany: You guys are so cute!
Taeng: Need to spend more time with her before Sica steals her away from me :(
Fany: LOL, silly. You speak as if I won’t steal you away from her

 

Taeyeon chuckled at Tiffany’s last reply. She loved how Tiffany could be very straight forward.

 

Taeng: You speak as if I will allow you
Fany: I know you will. Just you wait and see :p

 

Taeyeon cackled again. It was only one week, but why did it feel like she and Tiffany had known each other for a long time already? The way they chat, it flowed naturally. There was no silence when they talked over the phone. Talking to Tiffany also felt effortless. Taeyeon didn’t need to raked her brain just to keep the conversation going. It felt as if they were destined to meet each other and clicked since the first hello.

 

“Why are you laughing like that?” Yuri’s voice took Taeyeon’s attention away from her phone. Her friend just get inside the unit, hugging a paper bag in front of her chest.

 

“Chatting with Fany.” She answered quickly and moved her thumb on top of her phone screen.

 

Taeng: Looking forward to that! Now, I am gonna spend my time with Yul. Don’t be jealous
Fany: Okay, cutie. See you soon!

 

Taeyeon locked her phone and watched Yuri who was putting whatever she bought in the mini market to the fridge.

 

“Want some help?” Taeyeon jumped off of the sofa and walked towards her friend.

 

“No need.” Yuri replied short as she handed a bag of chips to Taeyeon.

 

“You really got me this?” Taeyeon laughed as she took the bag and stood next to Yuri who now took plain yoghurt pint from the paper bag.

 

“Yoghurt?” Taeyeon couldn’t stop herself to ask while raising her eyebrows. “Plain yoghurt? Since when are you into yoghurt?”

 

Yuri finally finished with her business and closed the fridge. “Why are you so nosy, Taeng? The yoghurt is not mine. It’s Sica’s.”

 

Taeyeon mouthed an oh while skipping her way back to the sofa and threw herself there. “You really seem into her.” She commented as she opened the bag of chips.

 

Yuri took free space on the sofa and snatched the bag from Taeyeon. “She’s

Please log in to read the full chapter