Chapter 8

Return of the boy next door
Please log in to read the full chapter

Two years had passed since Dahyun became the manager, and she handled the job so well that none of her team members had to stay past their working hours to finish their job. It was thanks to her efficient assistant manager too. With that, her routine of drinking after work returned since her relationship with Hongki remained the same, and the only time she spent with him was when he was on break or if his schedule ended around the same time as when she ended work.

It didn't mean that their relationship got weaker, though. Dahyun didn't mind; she had already expected it when she agreed to date him. After all, she grew up seeing him on television. 

However, the lack of time spent with Hongki brought another problem. Her colleagues believed that she was still single, albeit her telling them that she was dating. They thought that Dahyun was saying that she was dating to avoid being set up for blind dates or having people confess to her. Dahyun couldn't be bothered to convince them and let them believe what they wanted to assume.

She had no control over their opinions anyway. Besides, she couldn't give them proof since Hongki was a public figure.

Unfortunately, that thought led her to the troublesome situation she was in. Two of her female colleagues had asked her out for a drink, and she accepted it without much thought since it was normal for colleagues to drink together. But, never did she expect to have three other guys joining them for a drink, and certainly not at a cafe. It was easy for her to realize what was going on.

"Apologies, but I'll make a move first," Dahyun said without sitting down, but she was stopped by Minhee, one of her team members and the one who got slapped by the ex-manager. 

"Just once, please?" She whispered and gave a slight pout.

"I told you I have a boyfriend," Dahyun frowned.

"I know you're just saying that so that nobody bothers you to go for a date, but a group date can be fun. Who knows, you might be able to find your lifelong partner?" Minhee tried to persuade. 

"Come on, if not, you're going to put us in an awkward situation since there are three of them and only two of us," Gayeon, her other team member, whispered.

They were like devils whispering in her ears, and Dahyun just drew a long breath.

"One hour," Dahyun said curtly, and both of them were grinning like Cheshire cats.

That was the longest one hour ever, and Dahyun couldn't be bothered to even entertain the guy that was hitting on her, but she had to praise his tenacity. When that one hour was over, Dahyun excused herself and told them she had another appointment. She thought that escaping the irritating situation would've ended her day, but of course, of all days, she had to bump into her boyfriend in the cafe that she didn't know he frequented until today. 

The day couldn't get any worse. 

He was wearing a cap and a mask, but his pair of eyes was a dead giveaway. He was sitting at a table with a full view of Dahyun's situation. She managed to spot him when she was about to leave the door with the guy who was hitting on her and telling her he'd drop her off despite her constant protest.  

Smacking her lips at her sticky situation, she approached the glaring Hongki and stretched her arm out to him. "Let's go."

"Do you know him?" The guy behind her asked, and Dahyun looked at him in annoyance.

"Yes, he's my boyfriend," Dahyun said and looked at the two girls who were still sitting down. 

They had a look of surprise.

Hongki took her hand, and they left the cafe together, "you have some explaining to do." 

"I know. What were you doing in the cafe anyway?" 

"It's a cafe I usually go to before I go to your house or when I'm heading home from your house," he said as he entered the driver's seat, and she entered the passenger seat.

The ride back was silent and tense. 

"Well? Aren't you going to explain?" Hongki asked when Dahyun took off her blazer without a word. 

"In my defense, I did tell everyone that I have a boyfriend, but they don't believe me since I can't show them your picture," Dahyun said, and Hongki raised his eyebrows, looking confused.

"Why can't you show them my picture?" 

"You're a public figure, aren't you? You have fans, and I refuse to start a scandal that could ruin your career. You love your job," Dahyun said with her arms crossed as she sat on the armrest of her sofa.

Hongki blinked.

"You know I'm at the age where I can get married, right? And one of my band members is already married too," Hongki said with furrowed brows. 

The fact that one of his band members was married with children had slipped her mind. 

"Ah... So you're okay with me showing your picture?" She asked.

Hongki nodded, "I am."

Since the person who would be the main target of the scandal was okay with it, who was she to say 'no?' 

"Okay then, but I doubt they'd ask for your picture now since they have seen you physically," Dahyun said, and Hongki chortled.

"That's true," he said and walked over to her.

He squeezed her cheeks and said, "If you ever go on those blind dates again, I will expose who you are to the world. Do you understand?"

Dahyun nodded, and Hongki let go of her cheeks, which were starting to ache, "ouch..."

She touched her cheeks and glared at him. 

Hongki narrowed his eyes at her and said, "Don't look at me like that. It's your punishment for going on a blind date when you have me. You got off easy."

Dahyun clicked her tongue and smacked his arm lightly before going to wash up. He wasn't wrong when he said that it was her fault, and she did feel guilty about it. A realization crossed her mind. She forgot to apologize to him. After showering, she went to apologize, and he looked at her in surprise. He was sitting on her bed, his hair slightly damp from his shower. 

"I know I'm at fault for even going on the blind date, so I'm sorry," she said, and Hongki smiled. 

"You're forgiven," he said. 

Dahyun returned the smile and started drying her hair. Hongki took over the hairdryer shortly after, and she just closed her eyes, letting him help her. After he was done, he kissed her cheek, and she smiled.

She was glad that they managed to resolve the problem peacefully.

*.*.*

It was a weekend, and Dahyun was waiting at the car park for Hongki since he said that he would be returning from his recording studio soon. She had been there a few times to watch him work, and a

Please log in to read the full chapter