Chapter 1

Return of the boy next door
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kim Dahyun's life had been nothing short of boring. She was working in an investment company, and it was normal for her to work for twelve hours despite her contract stating that she only needed to work for eight. Drinking after work was a norm for her too.

"It still amazes me how you can hold your liquor," Jung Jaehyun, a close colleague, said.

Dahyun smirked as she sipped on her third glass of whiskey. They were in a bar a few blocks away from the company building.

"It helps me sleep at night," she said. 

Dahyun couldn't recall when she started suffering from insomnia. Was it in high school? The start of University? She only started getting medication for it in the last year of University because she couldn't take the built-up stress from school and knew that she needed to rest. 

Only when she was in her second year of job did she start to rely on alcohol to sleep. 

Jaehyun hummed in response, "The manager is getting more annoying these days." 

Dahyun chuckled, "He is. He's still getting recognition for the work he didn't do, but he's been more obnoxious about it." 

All her colleagues were complaining about the manager free-loading off the effort that was completed by the team. Still, the company focused a lot on the hierarchy, and nobody dared to speak up about the injustice they were facing. Except for her, since she had direct access to the company's boss. 

It was already her fourth year in the company, and nobody knew that she was the daughter of the company's CEO since she entered the company just like everyone else through an interview. Her father didn't believe in shortcuts, so she had to start from the bottom, and other than a handful of board members that visited her house occasionally, nobody knew who she was. 

Even her interviewers didn't know who she was, and she even failed an interview once before. 

"The company should have an anonymous feedback corner so that the employees can have a platform to complain," Jaehyun said.

That was a good idea, "why not propose the idea to the big boss?" Dahyun suggested, and Jaehyun looked at Dahyun like she had grown another head.

"You're not talking about our manager right?" 

"Are you crazy?" She rolled her eyes. 

"It can't be the manager's boss, right?" He released a nervous chuckle.

"The CEO," Dahyun said, stirring the whiskey glass in her hand. 

"I think you're the crazy one," he scoffed before he drank his tequila. 

Dahyun smiled, "Well, we know that the manager will treat the idea as his own, and we don't know if he would actually send it up for approval. If we skip the manager and go straight for the head of the department, he'll probably reprimand us for not going through the proper channels. The only way to get credit for the proposal and ensure that the company acts on it is to go straight to the CEO."

Jaehyun clicked his tongue, and Dahyun understood his worry. 

"And if I get fired for skipping all this escalation process, I need to find a new job, and it was already a challenge to get into this job."

"Nobody would know, it will remain anonymous, and it would seem like the suggestion came from the company instead of an employee," Dahyun shrugged nonchalantly, and Jaehyun narrowed his eyes at her. 

"How would you know?" 

"It's called logical thinking," Dahyun said, pointing to her head. 

Jaehyun laughed.

"Fine, I already know you're smart. You don't have to emphasize it again. Anyway, I'll think about it."

"Or do you want me to send the email to the CEO? I'll copy you inside," Dahyun said, and Jaehyun raised his brows.

"Why would you risk your career over this mere suggestion?" 

"If this mere suggestion gets me fired, then the company certainly has issues, and I would be happy to leave. All the employees have the right to speak up whenever they are mistreated," Dahyun said.

Jaehyun looked at Dahyun in awe, "If only I had your courage." 

Dahyun responded with a smile. She was courageous because she knew she wouldn't get fired, and her father would agree with the suggestion. But Jaehyun didn't need to know that. 

They chatted for a while and parted ways after they were done. 

Dahyun took a taxi to return to her apartment, which her parents bought for her once the company accepted her. Her parents often visited her in the apartment in the morning before they went to work to have breakfast together, but they would go to the office separately

Please log in to read the full chapter