Chapter 5

Return of the boy next door
Please log in to read the full chapter

Dahyun's daily routine barely changed even when she started dating Hongki, considering she was still working from eight to six, sometimes to eight, and she would drink at a bar or home after work. The only difference would probably be how much they texted each other and how often they stayed at each other's house. Her parents knew that she was dating someone, but they weren't the type to pry on her love life since, to them, it wasn't any of their business, and fortunately, they weren't the type of parents that practice arranged marriages.

She was allowed to date anyone and live freely as long as she didn't tarnish the family's image.

Dahyun and Hongki were workaholics, so neither minded not seeing or contacting each other. Though, they would sometimes make time to meet, like having lunch or dinner together. 

"I can't believe the proposal went through," Jaehyun said as he sipped his cocktail. 

The proposal was to have a platform for the employees to voice their concerns, which Dahyun sent, and she had personally asked her father to look at the email. It was a very detailed proposal that Jaehyun and herself did. Her father was genuinely impressed and decided to put the proposal into action, and she also emphasized that the idea came from Jaehyun instead of her. 

"I did tell you not to worry," Dahyun said, stirring the third glass of white wine in her hand.

Jaehyun laughed, "And I can't believe how smoothly it went. I honestly expected some questions and retaliation from the managers themselves."

"They can't exactly retaliate when the CEO himself is the one rolling it out. They won't even know that we're the ones who sent the proposal," Dahyun said.

"That's true," he smirked and started looking at Dahyun. 

His head was resting on his hand, supported by his elbow on the bar counter. Dahyun raised her brows, giving him a questioning look.

"Are you dating anyone?" 

She blinked at the unexpected question, "Why?" 

"Just asking. The more I spend time with you, the more charming you get. Are you going to take responsibility if I end up liking you?" 

Goosebumps formed on her skin as soon as those words left his lips, and she cringed, "Oh god, stop it." 

She pushed his face away so that he wasn't facing her, and he started laughing.

"You didn't answer me, though. Are you dating anyone? I guess not, right? You would be out with your boyfriend if you have one," Jaehyun said.

Dahyun smiled, "I suppose that would be you? You don't have a girlfriend, and that's why you're here with me."

Jaehyun sighed dramatically and downed the rest of his cocktail, "unfortunately. I went on a few blind dates, but none of the ladies caught my eye." 

"Are you sure it's not because you set your standards too high?" She asked.

"Well, my benchmark is you," Jaehyun said, and Dahyun raised a brow.

"Me?" 

"Why? You're pretty, smart, confident, and not arrogant. You've set my standards way too high, Dahyun-ah," he breathed and shook his head. 

Dahyun couldn't help but chortle, "Thanks for the compliments. You should set your expectations lower then. It'll be difficult to find someone like me."

"That's why I'm asking you right now. Are you dating anyone?" His eyes changed, and he looked serious.

Dahyun furrowed her eyebrows slightly and nodded, "Yes, I'm dating someone." 

He released a groan and suddenly put his head on the table with a pout, "what a pity. I thought I could try dating you and see what it would be like to date you, hoping to find your weakness. That way, I can bring down my expectations." 

Dahyun looked at Jaehyun like he was an alien. Was he drunk? Already? He did try a new cocktail and had already finished a few glasses. 

"How much alcohol was inside the cocktail?" She asked the bartender. 

"Two shots of rum," he replied, and Dahyun closed her eyes in annoyance.

Jung Jaehyun was drunk. 

"Can you get me the bill?" Dahyun decided to stop drinking for the day and send her colleague home first. 

After paying, she struggled to get Jaehyun to walk and had the urge to leave him on the ground. He was heavy, and he was putting most of his weight on her. She was also wearing heels, so she was struggling to keep both of them steady. His head was leaning against hers, and he was grinning from ear to ear. With a huff, she flagged for

Please log in to read the full chapter