Chapter 4

The Fight For Territory

Kevin was left to his own devices as the first team came back and it was Juyeon and Hyunjae's turn to patrol, the both of them being joined by two members of Woobin's pack.

Woobin waved to them as they walked into view, the two mountain lions nodding to Woobin before leaving with Hyunjae and Juyeon as Donghyun and Jibeom walked into view once they were back in human form and dressed.

"Who were those two?" Asked Kevin as he joined Woobin on the back deck, standing beside him. "Ah, it was Seongmin and Taeyoung," hummed Woobin. "Seongmin's the youngest, and Taeyoung is the second youngest," he explained.

"There's lunch on the stove," Kevin explained to Donghyun and Jibeom who nod as they headed inside to shower and eat afterwards.

 

~



Kevin sighed as he leaned back against the couch, feeling his heartbeat ramping up again. He took deep breaths as he closed his eyes, trying to keep as calm as possible.

"Stay calm, stay calm, stay calm," he chanted, fighting down coughs as he felt it start. He couldn't understand why he was relapsing quicker than before, as this never happened to him this quickly before. He let out a cough, unable to keep it in any longer. He was glad blood wasn't in his mouth yet, so he knew it wasn't too bad for the moment.

Kevin heard footsteps that came to a stop in front of him, but he didn't dare open his eyes. "Is it happening again?" Came Changmin's voice and Kevin opened his eyes to look at the worried face of Changmin. "I-I think so," wheezed Kevin as he took a breath, coughing again as he covered his mouth with his arm.

"No blood?" Asked Changmin. Kevin shook his head no. "It's just... Hard to breathe," he gasped, wheezing out another cough and feeling blood pool in his mouth. He got to his feet, running passed Changmin and into the bathroom, hitting the toilet just in time to throw up blood. Changmin ran into the bathroom, hitting Kevin across the back to help him.

"Thanks Changmin," rasped Kevin as he finally stopped throwing up. "Are you good now?" Asked Changmin. "Some water would be nice," grumbled Kevin, not meaning to sound pushy. "I got it," called Chanhee as he walked into the bathroom, handing a cup of water to Changmin who handed it to Kevin after helping him to his feet. Kevin gulped down the water after taking a sip to clean out his mouth in the sink as he spit out the water. He handed the cup back to Chanhee before leaving the bathroom. Changmin and Chanhee followed after him, the both of them soon going outside when Hyunjae and Juyeon came back to switch with them.

Woobin was still on the back deck, nodding to the familiar forms that belonged to Hyeongjun and Minhee, the mountain lion and coyote nodding back at him as Changmin and Chanhee walked over after changing. They both nod to Hyunjae and Juyeon as they walked out of the forest before leaving with Hyeongjun and Minhee.

"You've been out here the whole time?" Asked Hyunjae as he looked at Woobin. "Well, I'm not allowed in the house," explained Woobin. "It's fine though, I'm not bothered by being outside," he added. "I never said you weren't allowed in the house," Kevin said in confusion as he left the house and stood on the deck.

"Well, when I went in to look for Changmin Hyunjae tried to push me back out the door," explained Woobin. "I didn't know what he was coming in the house for," Hyunjae explained quickly. "I was just reacting on instinct," he added.

"Well, you're allowed in the house, when I have other pack members here," explained Kevin. "So it's fine," he added. "Donghyun and Jibeom made dinner, if you're up for eating," he explained to Juyeon and Hyunjae. "Fine," hummed Hyunjae who dragged Juyeon into the house.

"Protective aren't they?" Commented Woobin as he shook his head in amusement. "Those two can be suffocating sometimes," grumbled Kevin as he let out a soft chuckle, walking over to stand beside Woobin and lean against the deck railing.

"So who haven't I met in person yet?" Asked Kevin. "Wonjin and Jungmo, and then Allen and Serim," responded Woobin as he shrugged. "You've talked to Serim on the phone though?" He asked. "I never saw him in person," explained Kevin. "Though I'm sure due to us being alphas in our own rights it'd be hard to be around each other in person," he added. Woobin hummed in agreement, nodding his head as he let out a sigh.

"What's wrong?" Asked Kevin as he turned to Woobin. "So many things," grumbled Woobin as he shrugged. "I'd rather not talk about it though, if you don't mind?" He asked. "Sure," hummed Kevin, turning when the door opened. "Coming to eat dinner?" Asked Jibeom. "I guess," sighed Woobin as he pushed away from the railing to walk into the house. Kevin watched him go, an unreadable expression on his face as Jibeom moved to let him walk into the house before turning back to Kevin.

"Don't worry about it," explained Kevin as he walked over and entered the house, Jibeom shaking his head at Kevin's antics before closing the door and walking back into the kitchen.

 

~



Dinner had been quiet, Woobin keeping his head down while Hyunjae and Juyeon had a tense atmosphere around them. Donghyun and Jibeom didn't address the issue though, since it seemed that even Kevin didn't want to bring it up, choosing to eat in silence instead.

After dinner Kevin retired to his room, using the excuse of his sickness causing him to be exhausted. Hyunjae and Juyeon ended up sharing rooms that night while Woobin ended up in the guest room, getting some spare clothes to change into from Juyeon before going to sleep.

 

~



Despite how tired his body seemed to be, Kevin couldn't sleep whatsoever, being stuck wide awake as he laid in bed. Sometime in the middle of the night Changmin and Chanhee returned, and it was Donghyun and Jibeom's turn to head back out. Kevin didn't feel like getting up, but he turned his head when the door opened and Jibeom popped his head in to let Kevin know he was going on the next round of patrols. It had been the last thing Kevin remembered before he closed his eyes and passed out, finally falling into a deep sleep.
 

~



Woobin listened to the sounds of the house settling after patrols were switched, lying spread eagle in the bed that he was given for the night. Instincts were pushing him towards Kevin, but Woobin shoved them down as far as he could, ignoring the gut feeling of his mate instincts. Kevin wouldn't want someone like him, and even if there was a chance, their differences would push them apart.

Woobin opted to turn onto his side and force his body to relax so he could finally fall asleep.