Chapter 2

The Fight For Territory

Kevin looked down at Jacob from the deck as Jacob stood in the backyard after changing back to human form and getting dressed.

"Jacob," greeted Kevin as he crossed his arms over his chest. "Kevin," came the greeting from Jacob as Hyunjae soon joined him after getting dressed.

"What's this about a potential war on your hands?" Asked Jacob. "They're getting more bold," explained Kevin. "You know I don't like involving you or Eric, but it may come down to it if I don't get the help," he added.

"You want to try getting a pack of outsiders involved?" Asked Jacob, a growl in his tone. Kevin fought down a flinch, taking a breath to try and steady his nerves.

"I-I have no choice okay?" Asked Kevin, his voice wavering slightly. "If I did I wouldn't be telling you this," he managed to say in a steady voice.

Juyeon and Jibeom walked over after changing and getting dressed, both their expressions blank as they listened to the conversation.

"We know them," chimed in Juyeon. "Well, two of their hunters," he added. "It's Minhee and Hyeongjun's pack," he explained. "Weren't they just here?" Asked Jacob as he turned to Juyeon and Jibeom. "They left the other day, one of their other pack members came to get them," explained Jibeom.

"Ah, they're not a part of Yohan's pack anymore," explained Kevin. "I don't know who their new pack leader is but we met one of their pack members already," he added.

"Looking for me?!" Called a voice as Woobin walked over with Minhee behind him, causing Jacob and Hyunjae to turn to them. "I was coming to offer my pack's help, and it seems those plans are under way," he remarked, his head tilting to the side in question as he put his hands in his pockets.

"Minhee," greeted Jacob. "Hello Jacob," greeted Minhee as he bowed his head.

"Who are you then?" Asked Jacob as he studied Woobin. "The name's Woobin," greeted Woobin. "I saved the guy on the deck there," he added, motioning to Kevin. "It's Kevin," called Kevin as he stepped off the deck, walking over to them. "My name is Kevin," he added, standing beside Juyeon once he reached the group.

"Who is your pack leader?" Asked Jacob. "His name's Serim," responded Woobin as he shrugged, taking his hands out of his pockets to adopt a more neutral stance as he shifted on his feet. "Minhee was told to come along because you guys knew him and Hyeongjun," he added.

"You want to offer your help?" Asked Jacob. "Well, it took some convincing, but yeah," responded Woobin as he shrugged his shoulders. "Serim didn't want to help either but," he added, shrugging again. "I figured helping out would do some good with you and your pack," he explained.

"What are you looking to gain from this?" Asked Jacob. "Me? Nothing," responded Woobin as he shook his head. "I genuinely want to help," he added. "If you say no, we'll stay out of it," he explained. "It's ultimately Kevin's decision," hummed Jacob. "This is his territory after all," he added. Kevin blinked in surprise, turning to Jacob who hid any signs of his thoughts behind a blank expression and a neutral stance.

"Well, when you put it that way," mumbled Kevin as he thought it over. "I think having the help would work," he added, his mindset changing to that of his legendary strategist mode. "However," he added, taking a breath as he thought it over some more. "We won't need much from you right now," he explained. "We'll probably need some people down at the borders for a while, I need to stay away from patrolling for a bit," he added.

"Would you be up for patrolling for a few days? See how things change?" Asked Kevin as he turned to Woobin and Minhee. "I can ask to see if we can go in groups too," hummed Woobin as he looked thoughtful. "Serim would want to meet you at some point though," he added. "Sure," replied Kevin as he shrugged. "It's best I meet the pack leader anyway," he added. "Since we'll be working together for a bit," he explained. Woobin nodded, turning and leaving with Minhee.

Kevin was left to sigh, closing his eyes and falling to his knees. "God I didn't think that would work," he mumbled, opening his eyes when Jacob walked over and stopped in front of him.

"Kev," started Jacob, causing Kevin to flinch as the nickname. "Stop beating yourself up okay?" asked Jacob as Kevin looked up at him. "You're doing fine," he added. "I understand why you don't want to involve us okay?" He asked. Kevin nodded, looking down at the grass as a soft sigh escaped him.

 

~



Kevin woke to a coughing fit, feeling the signs of his sickness returning as he curled up into a ball. He fought back whimpers in pain as he coughed into his fists, blood splattering the sheets and his fists as he tried not to call out for help.

It seemed his coughs weren't quiet enough as the door to his room opened and Kevin heard footsteps walk over to his bed and someone sit on the bed next to him. "Kevin," came Hyunjae's soft and soothing voice. "Is there anything I can do?" He asked. Kevin shook his head no as he heaved, almost throwing up the blood that was pooling in his mouth. Hyunjae bent over and picked up Kevin, moving to get up and carry him bridal style into the connecting bathroom.

"The toilet or the bathtub?" Asked Hyunjae as he managed to turn on the lights as he stood in the bathroom. "B-Bathtub," mumbled Kevin, and Hyunjae went to the bathtub and put Kevin down in it, helping him out of his clothes. Kevin coughed, heaving as blood splattered the top half of his chest and the bathtub. He leaned forward and tried to calm his breathing even though that was hurting him more than it usually did.

"Are you okay?" Asked Hyunjae. "I don't know," rasped Kevin as he coughed, spitting up more blood. Hyunjae the water, grabbing the shower hose and spraying Kevin with water as soon as the water was warm enough.

"I-I thought you left yesterday," rasped Kevin as he let Hyunjae spray the blood off. "Jacob left, I had to stay in case plans don't go through," hummed Hyunjae as he grabbed a cloth to wipe down Kevin as he put the shower hose down. "I see," hummed Kevin.

"I know you don't want Jacob to see you like this," remarked Hyunjae as he went to spray Kevin with water again. "P-Please," sputtered Kevin as he leaned back against the back of the tub. "It's better he doesn't see this," he whispered, coughing as he covered his mouth with his arm.

"Are you good now?" Asked Hyunjae. "For the moment," grunted Kevin as Hyunjae washed the rest of the blood down the drain. "Okay," replied Hyunjae as he turned off the water. "I'll be back alright? I'm bringing you a towel and some clothes to change into," he added. Kevin nodded, and Hyunjae left the bathroom to get a towel and a change of clothes, finding Juyeon in Kevin's bedroom cleaning up and tearing sheets off the bed.

"Thanks for getting him," mumbled Juyeon as he threw the sheets and blankets into a pile. "Hey, it's not a problem," responded Hyunjae as he let out a soft sigh. "He was my best friend too you know?" He asked. "Before you joined us anyway," he added. Juyeon paused, turning to Hyunjae with his eyebrows raised.

"I know, it seems I'm close to Jacob now than before but," sighed Hyunjae as he went to get a towel and a change of clothes. "I just hate seeing him like that, you know?" He asked. "I understand," hummed Juyeon as he went back to grab everything and drag it into the laundry room. Hyunjae walked back into the bathroom and helped Kevin dry himself off before leaving the bathroom to let him get dressed after making sure Kevin was able to do so on his own.

"You should probably change shirts too," commented Juyeon as he walked back into Kevin's room. "I should huh?" Asked Hyunjae as he looked down at his shirt. "I guess I'll do that," he added, going to do so before going back to sleep in the guest room.

Kevin walked out of the bathroom, keeping a hand on the doorframe as Juyeon stood in the middle of his room. "You sleeping in my room tonight?" Asked Juyeon. "I might as well," huffed Kevin as he took a step into the room, almost falling onto his stomach if Juyeon didn't rush over to catch him.

"Come on," Juyeon said gently as he slung one of Kevin's arms around his shoulder and helped him stand up. "Let's get some sleep," he added, walking back to his room with Kevin leaning on him for support.