Snow Daisies

Not Evergreen
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Saturday, April 9th 2022

 

Work was ramping up. They had just promoted him and he was having less and less time to do small sweet gestures for his wife. But he didn’t want to give up. Just last night…he swore he saw a flicker of recognition in her eyes. No. He couldn’t give up.

 

And so he poured himself into making gifts and small reminders that would cue up even after his work started to really bog him down and could still be delivered to their house.

 

He had struck up a deal with the post-office delivery manager of their small town and the kind man had agreed to help him coordinate the gifts. Stephan had called all the stores he wanted to get things from for his wife and paid in advance. Some of the gifts were perishable and so he had to arrange for them to be delivered on the day he scheduled. But despite the hassle, most if not all the shops were willing to accommodate the man whom they had seen literally be willing to bend over backwards and do anything for his poor wife. They pitied the man and yet they also admired his undying devotion and hopeful countenance.

 

Some gave him a discount or even promised to deliver the present to free of charge. It was never done for free though really. For despite being devoted to his wife and his work, Stephan still found time to thank those who had helped him, often coming by to chat and buy them a cup of Joe or other such small kind gestures.

 

The whole town liked the man and they were silently rooting for him. They could only hope his wife would someday peer past the haze of hurt and be able to see this sweet undyingly dedicated man in front of her eyes.

 

~~~~~

 

Stephan couldn’t breathe.

 

This tiny shadow on the screen. The size of a peanut. That was their baby.

 

Their baby.

 

He could hear the quiet echoing rhythmic pulse that was the baby’s heartbeat and he felt his almost stop in return.

 

Taeyeon was laying there in a hospital gown and stirrups, staring blankly at the ceiling. Stephan didn’t know whether to be relieved or worried. He had been afraid she would be adverse to the touch of the ultrasound apparatus and the cool gel on her stomach. Afraid she would scream and fight it like she was fighting off her demons that encroached upon her in her troubled mind. But she had merely lain there, a blank slate.

 

And now he almost wished she would react, even just a little.

 

A small clatter of medical equipment on sterilized steel brought his attention back to the doctor.

 

“A month and a bit. The baby is growing well and it’s obvious you have been caring for Mrs. Hwang very diligently. I will write you a list of supplements she will need as well as maybe a dietary guide.”

 

“Thank you Dr. Kinsley,” Stephan said in a hushed whisper, almost afraid that if he spoke up he would frighten his unborn child.

 

The elderly man who was Taeyeon’s obstetrician patted Stephan kindly on the back.

 

“She and the baby will be ok. Don’t give up.”

 

“I never have,” Stephan turned and smiled at the doctor with the genuine faith that Taeyeon would be ok. That she would come back to him.

 

Stephan left the doctor’s office that day with a slowly shuffling Taeyeon wrapped warmly and safely in his arms. He bre

Please log in to read the full chapter