Chapter 2

Unexpected Fate

Apologies for any errors in advance!

Single border png 2 » PNG Image

Is this how they convince the parents when they scout talents? They only needed a few days to convince my parents that I have a knack for such area. However, my parents still remained firm that my education was important. So here I am on my way to South Korea to meet my future team. For a few weeks before the semester starts, I'll be spending it with them.

Hae-joon has filled me some details. We are a member of 6, 3 boys and 3 girls. While most of our projects will help trainees, there will come an opportunity to work with the current SM artists. A day when our own music will be performed by either SHINee or EXO.

"Hae-joon! I see you've brought the last but not the least." I heard as we entered a meeting room of the SM Building. My eyes couldn't believe it, it was none other than Yoo Young-jin.

"Yes, sir." Hae-joon replied. "And I've told her about our plans."

"Nice to meet you Dahlia." Mr. Yoo reached out his hand. "I hope that you enjoy being with the team that we created. And don't worry about your Korean. You can learn with our foreign trainees whenever you're here."

"Thank you sir" I shook his hand in return.

"Dahlia, let's meet the others shall we?" Hae-joon told me as I heard noises coming from outside.

There was not even a minute and I knew that these people are for keeps. I turned out to be the youngest. Two of them were also like me, taking non-entertainment-related courses and will be working mostly during school breaks.

Kim Hae-Joon serves as the leader of the team. As the first person I met, he was the person I'm closest to. Choi In-Hyuk is really talented in composing, he takes Architecture as his course. Kim Dong-Wook is the youngest among the guys, we were never awkward the first time we've met, it's like I've met my twin for a long time; he's usually my partner in making choreos. Lee Hana grew up in the US; she had the same age as Hae-joon and is the eldest among us girls. Kim Haera is Hae-joon's half sister, she is also as talented as her brother and is taking Education for her major.

Years would pass and I would only meet them. Hae-joon has a pretty rich family background, so our dorms were not the ordinary ones you see. It was like a club house, both boys and girls having a separate space. It was everyone's go to place, even the trainees, especially the future NCT members. It had been EXO's go to place as well, but I've never met them since every time I come they were busy in their tours.

I would only catch a glimpse of them every time I come. They were far too great for us to be sharing our music to them. Our interactions would only be simple bows and I would pretend I didn't know them. Even if the inside of me was already jumping up and down. I wasn't expecting anymore other than this...

Single border png 2 » PNG Image

"Ya! You didn't tell us you were coming earlier!" Dong-wook shouted as he saw me along the hallway. It was year 2022, everyone of my team has started focusing on music. It wasn't a tough journey I tell you, there were arguments for me to kicked out because I was the most inactive. My team knew the effort that I was pushing, so for 8 years I'm still here, going back and forth from Philippines to South Korea to make music and dances with them, all the while earning my pre-med degree and currently struggling in med school. To as why am I trying to make myself suffer... Don't ask me why.

"Well with the unpredictable events. I was only going to tell you today."

"Come on! We're having a meeting with EXO."

"What?! We've reached that point already?"

"It's been 8 years Dahlia. I think we can keep up with the talented composers."

"Where are the others?"

"They're waiting in the meeting room."

I was greeted by a hug by each of my members when we settled down, each of the members came in. Suho came first and this time he was looking at me longer than he should.

"Suho hyung" Hae-joon called him. "This is Dahlia, our foreign member. She comes during her school breaks so you might not be familiar."

Silence. Awkward silence. He smiled slightly, trying to reduce the awkwardness as much as he can. I guess he's adjusting to post-military life. He didn't have to suffer for so long. The members and other staff came in one by one and soon the room was full. It was a meeting for their comeback, a special album for the fans who waited for so long.

"Okay, so Hae-joon's team has also sent their song recommendations. They will also be helping us in the production team so we hope for everyone's cooperation." The head of the meeting started. "We'll listen to the songs randomly. Only titles would be mentioned, other details will be mentioned once EXO has chosen the final song for their title track."

We had to listen to a total of five songs. Four songs had already been played. EXO was enjoying it, but they didn't feel it was suitable for their title track. The last was about to be played and the head was already nervous. Finally, they have chosen the last song for their title track.

"Sir, I think we've missed one." one of the staff said.

"It was only five songs. There's another one?"

"Yes, sir. Closer to Freedom is the title."

Closer to Freedom. It seemed familiar. I must not show any reaction, it was a blind test. I had to stop myself. I pinched Dong-wook who was beside me. He looked at me and realized what the song about to be played was.

"I think there's been a mix-up." Dong-wook shouted.

"Mix up or not let's still listen to it." Haera sounded as if she knew where that song came from.

"It's a waste if we didn't hear it." Hae-joon supported her.

The song started to play. It had an upbeat melody, it matched EXO's type. Good thing they couldn't understand the lyrics enough. It was a fun song, but it contained all the frustrations I had during med school. Yes, it was my song. I made it for fun and had no intention to share it to the public except my team. They tried to convince me though, for they figured it was such a waste. I guess it was not a mistake that it got mixed with the other tracks.

"Oh well we've listened to the song." I started as they ended the music. "But since EXO has chosen a title track already, this could go to the archive."

My team looked at me in disappointment. They really thought the song was a waste to be hidden. I was embarassed however, that EXO heard this song. It was like my diary, the only thing missing from that song was curse words to my professors. If ever my lyrics get exposed to the public, I'd be burying myself alive.

"I like it though." Someone interrupted. "Don't you guys think? Well the lyrics are a bit... But we can change that. The song would be a real waste if we don't use it. We can use our first choice for a repackage or another comeback but this song, it's definitely this comeback's title track for me."

Everyone agreed. EXO and the staff. I sighed. I was embarrassed. They understood the lyrics. I had to show this to the public?

"Well that settles. Closer to Freedom is going to be your title track." The head noted. "We can also change the title once we've finalized the lyrics. Dahlia, I knew you were great. But not this great, they actually chose this to be their title track." He praised me.

"Woah! That was yours?!" Xiumin called me in amusement.

"Well, for the most part it was my frustrations." I smiled a little, embarrassed to get the attention of everyone in the room.

My team was looking at me feeling proud and then there was the guy whose eyes were beaming with delight. The guy who firmly suggested my song to be the title track, EXO's leader Suho.

Single border png 2 » PNG Image