☉ TEASER ONE

 PEARL CENTER ☉ PREPPING THE BOATS...
hello hello !! sorry about the long wait, but i grappled with this teaser for a while hh,, finally the teaser is here !! there is something most definitely wrong in simdong... but what ?? i wonder... 

also, i just wanted to remind everyone that pearl center's deadline is at july 21st midnight est !! i hope u all are as excited for this as i am.. i have so much planned :")
 
the music is blank banshee's marble bust ,, and i had it on loop the entire time i wrote this hh...
 
 
 
the air is a little colder than she would’ve anticipated. her cardigan is thick, but it seems it cannot quite protect against the ocean breeze. her feet, in their city-style pointed toe flats, point toward the edge of the docks, her knees pulled up close to her chest and her chin resting on top of them. her bags are lined up around her, acting as a sort of gate against any other person who would dare to approach her. the ocean laps around the dock’s legs, sliding up the sides and making the whole structure creak. there is something that tightens in , something akin to anxiety, but she swallows it down and focuses on the sky instead.
 
the sky is a deep black, with only the speckles and speckles of stars poking through it. the moon is almost full, bright and blinding. its reflection sweeps out across the ocean, illuminating everything in a sort of otherworldly white. it is so quiet that yugyeong can hear herself breathing.
 
typically, yugyeong would go back to see her mother right away, but something has made her pause. her feet took her down the dirt path to the fishing docks, as opposed to padding up the tea house steps. checking the time, it was past 10pm. yugyeong tells herself that she doesn’t want to wake her mother while attempting to drag her bags through the entrance, so she opts to sit and wait awhile, instead. while her mind has been made up, there is still a hesitance within her chest.
 
it is quite cold. yugyeong curls into herself, attempting to trap the warmth in. she feels remarkably alone. the town is uncharacteristically quiet tonight, with not even the usual din of the bars’ or the drinking hut’s liveliness. the restaurant was also already closed by the time she stepped into the town, something she had never expected. she had bitten down her disappointment and vowed to poke her head in to greet the owners tomorrow.
 
the town feels so...dead? she isn’t sure if “dead” is the proper word, something feels Off about using it, but she can’t quite shake the unease from her shoulders. she tells herself it’s just the time she’s spent away from simdong, the shift in daily routine... but would simdong really change more in four months than in eighteen years?
 
her breath catches as a wave rides up just a little too close to her feet.
 
the sound of the ocean, the smell of the brine...it all feels like such a blast to the past, reminds her of time spent on the same docks from a young age. there’s a warmth that trickles from the top of her head to the tip of her fingers. she feels welcomed here, lulled by the sound of the waves. she presses her cheek into her kneecaps, closing her eyes. she can almost feel her body swaying along to the waves’ rhythm.
 
this is the best she’s felt in months. it’s the clearest her head has been in years.
 
she was always meant to return.
 
“welcome home.”
 
she jolts up, looking around in a panic. her heart is beating twice as fast, her rapid breathing is loud in her ears. she twists and turns, but she can’t find anyone anywhere close to her. her skin prickles, the hairs along her arms standing up.
 
the ocean seems to amplify in volume, slowly rising from a faint white noise to something akin to radio static. the water seems to rise the longer she stares at it, the moon growing larger the more she watches its reflection ripple across the sea. she fumbles to find the hold on her bags, her eyes darting around to monitor the ocean’s height around her.
 
the waves begin to peek through the cracks of the dock. the peak of each wave looking more and more like little fingers poking through. she scrambles to grab her belongings, tossing one bag over her shoulder as she grabs the other two, city-style flats barely staying on her feet as she runs off of the dock and back onto the dirt path. the ocean hisses behind her, scorned.
 
she runs up the dirt path back up to the tea house steps, slamming open the entrance doors without a thought and tossing her bags inside before throwing herself in and slamming the doors behind her. her chest is heaving, her whole body shaking. she covers her eyes with her hands, trying to forget what she’s seen.
 
yugyeong has always been afraid of drowning. the ocean has always seemed too big and too scary for her to handle, too deep to see the bottom of. she has always wondered about what has gone unseen under the surface of the sea.
 
“yugyeong…?” she can hear her mother’s half-awake voice call out.
 
tonight, she decides, she is better off not knowing.