☉ SIMDONG'S FAMILY BUSINESSES !

 PEARL CENTER ☉ PREPPING THE BOATS...
 
 
the local convenience store in simdong is singlehandedly supplying the town with their midnight munchies, their pick-me-ups, their karaoke finger foods, and anything else one could think of. boasting good deals, friendly service, and every little snack you could possibly think of, it's a regular pit-stop for high school students, young kids, and adults alike. the owners are well-known around the island as everyone has gone in at least once. it's a pretty well-kept store, and it's always fully stocked! their kid was due to take over the business, but for some reason has found a way to detach themselves from the store...their parents haven't said much as to whether or not they agree. 
the fishing industry is probably simdong's largest source of income, with plenty of open seas running up along simdong's coast. the local fisherman, with his accompanying wife who dives for abalone, are always bringing their freshest catches into town and market. without the local fishing industry, simdong would probably be all but forgotten with the hustle-and-bustle of modern korea. the fishermen take a lot of pride in this fact and it's pretty commonplace for kids to continue the family business. however, in the case of this particular fishing family, their kid has gone off to university--a first for the town.
 
 
the farming family is a staple for simdong. it's a physically demanding lifestyle, but it's also one of pride. while not being the most social family, with the members often out in the fields from sun-up to sundown, they do make their trips to the restaurant, market, and convenience store to sell their goods and share their crops. the farming industry on simdong is only second to the fishing industry. they specialize in soy, rice, tea, cattle, or pigs. 
while not specializing in any sort of intense procedure or life-threatening ailments, the doctor’s office is primarily used for prescribing basic amenities (typically in the form of herbs, teas, or the occasional light painkiller) and performing checkups on the inhabitants. the doctor is on a first name basis with everyone in town and it’s implied that they wish for their child to follow in their footsteps and take over the practice. that being said, their child has decided to pursue a university degree--is this a step away from the traditional chinese medicinal roots of the clinic? or are they attempting to modernize medicine within the town? 
 
 
while not necessarily being the most amazing 5-star cuisine, one cannot deny that this family’s restaurant is one of the coziest and most inviting spaces on the island. typically bustling with large crowds and the raucous laughter of the men flocking in after work, there is a sort of ease with which one can slide into the motions here. known for their soondubu jjigae and their “catch of the day” plate (consisting of the fresh catch and the chef’s super secret fish seasoning & sauces), it’s a place that everyone eats at almost every day once… the owners are amicable, and their child is no exception. it truly feels like a famly when you enter this restaurant, and that is why it has been packed day after day, year after year.
the tea shop is a humble little establishment that is situated within an old hanok that was consequently redone and repaired to make way for business. hosting a wide variety of teas--herbal, fruit, plain, and so on--it's a must for those who are wanting to unwind and relax. owned by jo heena, it is maintained by herself and her daughter, im yugyeong. despite being a place of respite, the family is plagued by gossip and rumors following the departure of yugyeong's father. while customers still flock to the shop in search of the perfect cup of tea, it is not uncommon to see wary women whispering behind their hands and tsks of disapproval. 
despite pouring all her love into the tea shop, yugyeong was hurried away to the city to pursue a degree at a big school. her mother insisted that she go strive for success--despite yugyeong's reluctance. though she hates the city, hates her major, she does it all for her mother. because of this, when her mother suspiciously stops answering her calls and texts, it sends yugyeong back to her hometown in a flurry of worry.
 
 
if none of these businesses appeal to you, feel free to make up your own business ! though i do have some suggestions: tailors, delivery, inn, etc.