CHAPTER 21: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

THE TRUTH

 

            UKISS walked at the town before going back home. Hoon and Kevin are at the back. They walked pass a gift shop. Hoon stopped.

 

“What’s the matter?” Kevin asked. “I have to go somewhere first. See you tomorrow” Hoon ran back to the opposite direction.

 

“Where is he going?” Soohyun asked. Kevin shrugged. “Let him be” Dongho just walked with a strawberry flavored lollipop in his mouth.

 

            Hoon stopped in front of the gift shop while panting heavily. He stared at a music box through the front glass of the shop. Without hesitate, he entered the shop. Minutes later, he exited the shop with a white paper bag in his hand.

 

*Seeing this music box makes me think about you* Hoon smiled until his teeth shown.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Bye mom” Saeran waved. “Bye. Happy birthday” Mrs. Kim replied. “Thank you”

 

“Let’s go, oppa” Saeran walked to school with Minwoo. “Happy birthday” Minwoo wished. “Thank you” she ate a strawberry muffin. “Can I have some?” he opened his mouth. Saeran let him taste a bit. “It’s delicious. Where did you buy it?”

 

“Dad bought it at a bakery near his office. He bought it for my birthday”

 

            They entered the hallway.

 

“Happy birthday” Donghyun greeted. “Thanks Donghyun oppa” “Stay still” he tied a red ribbon to her hair. “What’s that?” “A birthday present”  “Really? Thank you”

 

“Happy birthday!” the rest of Boyfriend approached them. “Thank you oppas” she smiled. She chatted a bit with them then she saw Rico called her over.

 

“I got to go now. Bye” she replied. “Before you go, birthday girl” Minwoo slugged his arm to Saeran neck. “Happy birthday, my beloved dongsaeng” he kissed Saeran on her head. “Thanks oppa. It’s been a while since you did that to me” “I always did that on your birthday remember?” She nodded, waved and went to Rico.

 

“Happy birthday” Saeran replied with smile. “What would you like for your birthday?” “You don’t have to. I don’t want anything” “You’re weird. It’s your birthday. You sure want something for your birthday” “No. Really” Rico pouted.

 

“Okay. I’ll tell you what I want” “Really? What is it?” “Actually…it’s up to you” “What?! You really” Saeran laughed.

 

            After saying goodbye and happy birthday again to Saeran, Rico went into her class and sat at her place.

 

“Today is Saeran’s birthday right?” Dongho asked. Rico nodded. “Okay. Thanks”

 

*How does he know it’s her birthday today?*

 

            Saeran was about to sit at her place when she saw a blue with white polka dot present on her desk.

 

“What’s this?” she picked up the present and read the small card. “Happy birthday?” Hoon walked behind Saeran to his place.

 

“What a cute present. The person who gave that must be cute himself” he said. Saeran read the name at below of the card and laughed.

 

“Thanks Hoon” “You’re welcome” “I wonder what’s in it” “Open it if you want to know” he sat at his place with smile on his lips.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            Saeran got out from her classroom since class is over. Suddenly Dongho stood in front of her and held out a paper bag. She blinked in surprise.

 

“It’s for you. Happy birthday” he wished. Saeran took it. “Really? Thanks” “I made it myself” “What is it?” she was about to open the bag but Dongho stopped her.

 

“Open it at home, please. People might laugh at me if they know what I gave you” “Okay”

 

“Saeran!” Youngmin and Kwangmin called her from behind. “Jo twin oppas” They slugged their arms to Saeran’s neck. Both had sweet smiles on their lips.

 

“I’m sorry but we going to take our sister with us” Youngmin said to Dongho. “So would you excuse us?” Kwangmin added. “Oppas” Saeran interrupted.

 

“Yeah. Sure” Dongho answered. “Thanks. Let’s go” They held Saeran hands and walked through the hallway.

 

“Wait! Let me see Rico first” “You can see her later”

 

            Youngmin and Kwangmin took Saeran to a theme park. They rode the roller coaster, entered the ghost house and many more. Youngmin bought a headband with large pink ribbon and light for Saeran. Kwangmin bought a large Pikachu doll for her.

 

“It looks like you, Kwangmin oppa” Saeran laughed. “Really? That’s mean I’m cute too” Saeran stuck out her tongue.  “You’re so full of yourself” Youngmin approached them with a rabbit ears headband on his head. Kwangmin laughed at him.

 

“Don’t worry. I got one for you too” he wore the similar headband to Kwangmin. “You look even cuter” Saeran praised. Kwangmin pouted but then smiled at Saeran saying he is cute.

 

“Let’s go home. It’s getting late” they headed to Saeran’s home, holding hands.

 

            They arrived at Saeran’s house. It’s was silent. No TV noise nor her mother doing some chores sound.

 

“It’s silent. That’s weird” Saeran turned the door knob .

 

“Surprise! Happy birthday Saeran!” Boyfriend, her parent, Rico and Kiseop shouted as Saeran the light. They were wearing the party hat. Mr. Kim wore on of the hat to Saeran. They started to sing the ‘Happy Birthday’ song as Minwoo brought a chocolate cake with candles on it to Saeran. She can’t stop smiling.

 

“Wish before you blow the candles light” Mrs. Kim said. Saeran shut her eyes for a while and blew the lights off. They clapped. Minwoo placed the cake on the table and held a knife to her.

 

“Rico, come here” Saeran called Rico over. Saeran held Rico hand holding the knife. Both of them cut the cake.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            Saeran’s birthday party ended. Before Boyfriend go home, they brought Saeran to the backyard. Minwoo closed her eyes with his hand.

 

“Ready for your birthday present?” he asked. “Yes. I think” she answered. Boyfriend count to three and Minwoo uncover her eyes. Saeran gasped in surprise.

 

            A red bicycle complete with basket, back seat and bell was ready before her.

 

“Get on it” Hyunseong pushed her tightly to the bicycle. Saeran got on it and rode the bicycle at her backyard. “We collected money together and buy it” Donghyun explained. Saeran got off the bicycle and hugged her Boyfriend brothers.

 

”Thank you” “You’re welcome” Rico appeared behind them. She held a present to Saeran.

 

“Here. Happy birthday” “Thank you, Rico” she hugged her. Boyfriend and Rico went home.

 

“Mrs. Kim, let me help you” Kiseop entered the kitchen. “It’s okay. I can do it. And don’t call me by my name. Just call me auntie” she smiled. “But I want to help, auntie” he pouted. “Okay then” He smiled and washed the dirty plates.

 

“Kiseop, what are you doing?” Saeran stood beside Kiseop. “I’m washing the plates. Why?” “Let me do it. It’s ladies work” “No. I want to do it too” Saeran pouted.

 

“Okay. Since it’s your birthday. I’ll listen to you. But I want to help too” In the end, the two washed the dishes while chatting.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            Before Saeran sleep, she opened her presents. Rico had given her a colorful sand clock. She unwrapped Hoon gift. It was the piano shaped music box that she saw the other day. She turned the key of the music box and it started to play the chorus part of SHINee’s Stand By Me song.

 

*How does he know I want this?* she thought. She opened the paper bag that Dongho gave.

 

“A muffler?” she took out a red muffler from the bag. She remembered what Dongho said. ‘I made it myself’

 

“He knit this himself?”