Chapter-1

Both of us

Being alone in a foreign country is not easy for an eighteen-year-old high school student. He could have stayed in Beijing, living with his mother, enjoying the lavish life of being the son of a famous designer nor the grandson of a well-known entertainment agency, Golden Star Corp, yet, Hwang Luhan chose to live in South Korea, a country that is 2123 km away from home.
Beijing, China,2013
 "Can't you just wait till you graduate?" Evelynn Zeng let out a small sigh of frustration at her son. "I know grandpa is going to send me to the US when I graduate. He won't let me go to Seoul," Luhan shrugged at his mother. "But this is your final year of high school. You should have fun, not going to some foreign countries and stay away from your family. You are not old enough to move out," she explained, typing some documents on her laptop. Although approaching her mid-forties, Evelynn is still a beautiful woman. Some people might agree she should even be an actress instead of a designer. No wonder Luhan is handsome. He's inherited all of her good looks.
"I want to find him. Uncle Eddie said he's in Seoul," the eighteen-year-old stated. Evelynn stopped doing what she's been doing and looked up to her son. "He won't see you. Why bothers anyway?" she commented, staring at his eyes. Luhan made a small smile at his mother.
"I just want to see him even if it means for once. After all, he's my father."
Seoul, South Korea,2014
Luhan remembers the conversation he had with his mother before he came to Korea. While studying at Seoul University as an exchange student, twenty years old Evelynn fell in love with Hwang Min Woo, a fellow university student with a poor family. Against all the odds, they got married and had Luhan after they graduate. But the life they lead was difficult for Evelynn, who came from a wealthy family. It became worst when Min Woo's family was involved with the debts and other problems. Shortly after Luhan's second birthday, the couple separated, and Evelynn went back to Beijing with her son. Since then, Luhan was raised by his single mother and her family. He never gets to see his father again.
Avalon High School, Luhan stared at the school name as he stood in front of the gate. He also noticed some girls were glancing at him and then murmuring to each other as they walked into the school. He knew he could blame nothing but his handsome face for this kind of situation. He was used to this kind of attention because it always happens. He then walked straight into the school.
"Hello, Luhan. I'm Ms.Park and your homeroom teacher. Nice to meet you," a woman greeted, a small smile curved on her lips. Although she looks like she is in her fifties, she acts like a youngster with a cheerful smile. "Nice to meet you too, teacher," he smiled back. "I've read your records. I am really honored to have a top student like you in my class. I hope you keep the good work here too," she then stated.
"Yes, teacher, I will try my best," Luhan nodded in excitement.
"The class is going to start soon, now come along," the woman walked to classroom 401. Luhan followed his teacher.
The class was noisy with the busy students going to and fro. Some were talking, some were doing homework, and some were just messing around. But everything stopped when Ms.Park and Luhan entered the classroom. All eyes were on him like he was an alien, but a good-looking one, of course.
"Class President!" with Ms. Park's announcement, a tall boy with glasses got up and greeted Ms.park, "Morning teacher." The rest of the class followed him.
"Now, I want to introduce you to a new student who's transferred from Beijing high school. His name is Luhan, and I hope you help him fit in the class," Ms. Park stated. "Alright, Luhan, go and sit on that free table," she then continued. Luhan did as he was told. After that, the class started.
When the teacher went out, a boy who's in front of him said, "Hi! Nice to meet you. I'm Byun Beakhyun. This is Lee Minhyuk". He then pointed to the other guy beside him. Beakhyun has a big smile that makes him look like a sweet child. He seems like a happy go lucky type while Minhyuk is more stable than him. But there is no denying that both boys are good-looking.
"Hi, nice to meet you too." Luhan replied."My mom said that you were known as a popular guy in your previous school, right?" said Minhyuk.
"Your mom?" asked Luhan, feeling a little confused." Ms.Park's my mom, "Minhyuk replied with a smile. This time, Luhan could see the resemblance between their smiles.
"Oh, I see," Luhan nodded."Now let us introduce you to our classmates." Beakhyun cleared his throat." The one who sits in front of the class is our Class President, as you know, is Yoo Youngjae." he stated.
"The person next to him is his twin brother, Yoo Seungjae, the younger twin," Minhyuk interrupted.
"They are the top students in our school. Next to them, there sits angels of our class, Kang Seohyun and Kim Yoona. Both of them are very pretty. And their parents are filthy rich. So, they usually don't talk to us," the boy continued.
"You will even realize that they only talk to students who came from rich families. Hey, by the way, Do you know SM Entertainment?" asked Beakhyun.
"SM? Isn't it Girl Generation's agency?" Luhan shrugged, and the other two boys nodded.
"Yeah. Seohyun is their daughter. She's definitely blessed to be born into a family like this," Beakhyun let out a small sigh.
"But rumors said that she is the CEO's step-daughter since her mother is the second wife of the CEO," Minhyuk whispered.
"However, her surname is Kang, so we don't know whether the rumors are true or not," Beakhyun made a half shrug.
"Okay. Let us continue. Shall we?" Minhyuk stated.
"Behind Youngjae is Kim Jongin. Our school has many talented students but the best ones happen to be in our class. He is one of them. No student can dance better than him till now. Beside him is Moon Jongup, whose hobby is the same as Jongin, dancing. Behind them, it's us. Besides you is Park Chanyeol. He's absent today because he had the flu yesterday. Behind you is Lee Dongwoo and Kim Minseok. They're the oldest in our room," he explained.
"Behind them, it's the bad boy club," Beakhyun muttered.
"Bang Younguk, Kwon Jihyuk, and next to them Jung Tao and Lee Chansub.Be careful. Try to Stay away from the four of them," he warned, and Luhan listened.
"Behind Seohyun, it's Min Seyi and Kim Yewon. If you like to know any gossip in school, they will serve you every detail of it. I mean, everything," he remarked. "Like everything?" Luhan asked in curiosity.
"It's amazing how every gossip or rumor goes first to them. It's terrifying," Minhyuk shrugged in fear while Beakhyun nodded in agreement.
"Behind them is Jung Eunji. Our music teacher's favorite, the best pianist in school," he continued. "Kang Heejuu sits beside her, but I guess she's late again," Baekhyun interrupted. "I don't know how to explain about Heejuu because she is really mysterious," he sighed. "Why mysterious?" Luhan questioned again. "Rumors said that Heejuu comes from a wealthy family because she and Seohyun hate each other. I mean, a girl like Seohyun doesn't bother anyone who is not the same as her standard. Yet, she fights with Heejuu every time they meet. And Heejuu would change the subject or somehow dodge the questions whenever we ask her about her family," Beakhyun explained.
"Some rumors even exclaim that Heejuu is the biological daughter of the CEO of SM Ent, and that is the reason why they resent each other so much. But we don't know for sure," Minhyuk also added. As they were chatting, another teacher walked into the room for the next period. Just then, a girl made a sudden rush inside the class. "Sorry, ma'am," she apologized to the teacher. The teacher then replied, with a stern look on her face,
"You missed the first period, again."
"Kang Heejuu."
...........................................................................................................................................................
Seoul, South Korea, 2001
              "Little miss, stop staring at the gate and eat this soup I've made for you," Ms.Lee, the house-maid beamed as she took some potato soup, which is Heejuu's favorite. "When is mommy coming back?" the six years old asked, letting out a small sigh. For Ms.Lee, it was heartbreaking to see little Heejuu suffering like this, especially when the girl is not healthy at the moment.
The old woman knew her parents could never be together anymore, but at least, they should've considered their children's feelings. After the messy divorce, Mr.Kang got custody of Heejuu while the former Mrs.Kang got Kyungsoo, Heejuu's little brother. Since Mr.Kang is more influential than his ex-wife, the man forbade her from meeting their daughter.
"Mommy!"
The old woman was brought back to reality when her young miss shouted with joy, looking straight to the gate. She followed her eyes and saw Jung Miseo standing in front of the door. Without any hesitation, Heejuu rose up from her seat and quickly ran to the door. Ms.Lee was indecisive about stopping Heejuu though she was already briefed by her boss not to let the girl meet her mother. But her empathy for the young child was more important than her ethics, so she simply let the mother and daughter meet, even she knew all the blame would be on her.
"Mommy, can I go and play on that swing?" Heejuu asked as they walked near the playground. "Sure thing, my little sunshine," Jung Miseo replied, beaming at her daughter. Never in a lifetime had she thought she has to leave her own child, her little girl. For Miseo, marrying Kang Byungsoo was the furthest thing to paradise: an arranged marriage between upper-crust families without love. But her kids were the best things that happened to her. Her world crumbled into pieces when her father's business went down along with her marriage. Her father was dying while her husband was cheating just under her nose. With no choice, she chose the hard way for her family to survive.
While looking at her six years old playing peacefully, Mr. Kang called: threatening to take Kyungsoo away from her too if she keeps seeing Heejuu. When she saw the police walking to the playground, she immediately knew it was her ex-husband who'd sent them. Fear for the horror Heejuu might witness if she got arrest in front of her daughter, Jung Miseo stood up and ran away, leaving the girl alone.
"Mommy?"
"Mommy!"
When Heejuu noticed her mother running away, she started chasing her. "Mommy, don't go!" she cried out, but her mom didn't stop running. Tears fell down from her eyes as the six-year-old followed her mom. She eventually lost sight of her loving mother a moment later. "Mommy! Mommy! Please don't leave me!" she was crying and calling out for her mother, but she was nowhere to be seen. Later all she saw was a truck running straight to her.
Seoul, South Korea, 2014
"Mom!"
Heejuu yelled as she quickly got up from the bed. She was panting while wiping her sweaty forehead. Her eyes went to the clock. It was only 4AM in the morning. "Stupid freaking nightmare," she groaned as she went back to sleep. The whole Korean Nation was shocked when the news about a truck running over a six-year-old girl broke. It was a miracle that the girl survived when the three people in the vehicle were dead.
Kang Byungsoo filed a lawsuit against his ex-wife for the accident. The court finally gave a restraining order to Jung Miseo until Heejuu turns 18.
The heartbroken mother took the blame on herself and accepted the sentence. She then later vanished along with Kyungsoo.
           "Schoolgirl, you better pay your rent in time this month!"
Heejuu was greeted by the angry lady as soon as she went downstairs on her way to school. "Don't worry, Ms.Choi, I will give you this month, in time," she grinned at the landlord, who was glaring at her. "You must take your words, or I will get another tenant, who can pay the full rent in time," the woman declared, crossing her arms to her chest. Heejuu made a weak smile before leaving the house.
As soon as Heejuu left the house, she was greeted by a group of men in suits. "Young miss," when one of the men stated, she then realized who they were: the ones who her father has sent to find her. "Mr.CEO wants to see you," the man continued. "I am not going. I have school," Heejuu said as she tried to walk past them but was blocked by the men. "He also stated that school can wait," another man added. Heejuu knew that these men will never let her go unless she goes with them. "Fine then," she gave a half-shrug and took a few steps back, then she quickly turned around and sprinted away. The men started to chase her.
Heejuu is running down the street with a group of men on her tail. She couldn't care less about the people passing by who looked at her with eyes wide. When she made a swift right turn, she bumped into someone. Unfortunately, both of them lost their balance and fell down. "I'm sorry!" Heejuu said abruptly as she quickly stood up and hurried her way out.
Luhan would never think how reckless people can be until someone bumped into him, and then she just apologized and ran away. He's noticed that the girl was wearing his school uniform and shook his head with the thought that he was in the same school with someone as reckless as the person who just ran across him. This was not how Luhan has imagined his first day of school in Seoul. As Luhan got up on his feet, he saw something on the road. It was a silver necklace with a star locket. There were also tiny diamonds in it, maybe from that reckless girl. He picked it up and kept it in his pocket in case he might run into her at school. The only problem is he doesn't remember how the girl looks like since it happened so fast.
Everyone on the street saw the pathetic school girl who was running after by a group of men. "Gosh, what is happening to that poor girl?" a shopowner muttered with empathy as she saw them passing by her store.
Running from her dad's men with an empty stomach is one of the worst things for Heejuu. If she would've known today was going to be a rough day, she would have at least eat her cold ramen from last night. And combined with her landlady complaining and threatening to move her out this morning, she should have known she was going to have a bad morning.
Her legs became wobbly while she was running, thankfully she's made it to school. The men stopped chasing her when they saw Heejuu went into the school compound. Panting, Heejuu finally let out a big sigh. Since the school started already, there was no one in the parking lot except the guard. "Hey! What are you still doing here? The school starts at nine!" Speaking of the devil, Heejuu thought as the guard yelled and ran to her. She had to run again but was glad when she safely went into the school. She knew the guard won't bother walking into the building anyway. When she arrived at the class, she was greeted by their biological teacher, Ms.Kim, who was glaring at her.
"Sorry, ma'am," Heejuu looked at the teacher with an apologetic face."You missed the first period again, Kang Heejuu." Ms. Kim retorted as she went back to the lessons.
"Hey, we've got a new student this morning," Eunji informed her best friend, who was peacefully napping on her seat after the teacher left. "So what?" Heejuu mumbled with her eyes close. What happened this morning has really drained all of her energy. She didn't even bother to take a look at this so-called new student. "Eunji, did you finish watching the drama with Chio Siwon in it?" Seyi walked to them. "Yeah. It was so good," the girl replied. "Hey, did you see that new guy? He's so handsome," Seyi remarked. "Totally," Eunji commented. The girls then giggled.
"God, you are so annoying. A person is trying to sleep here. Hello?"
Heejuu scolded both of them, making an eye-roll. "Have you ever seen that guy? He's definitely an angel," Seyi smirked. "I've seen devils with pretty faces," Heejuu retorted. "Here, they come!" Eunji interrupted as their eyes went to the guys entering the classroom. She saw the new guy talking with Minhyuk as they made their way to their seats. As soon as she saw him, she immediately knew the girls were right. The guy is handsome, but she wondered if his personality is the same as his looks.
"Avalon's kimbap is the best in the world, I swear," Beakhyun mumbled as he took a big bite of his kimbap. "I can't believe you eat that every day," Minseok shook his head. "Fun facts about Beakhyun, food is his life, as you can see," Minhyuk told Luhan, who was eating his lunch. "I think that's cool," Luhan shrugged, and Beakhyun chuckled. "See? That wasn't so bad," proudly he commented. Just then, Eunji and Seyi came to sit with them. "Gosh, you're eating kimbap again," Eunji rolled her eyes as she saw Beakhyun peacefully eating his food. "As he would listen," Minseok let out a small sigh.
"Oh, Nice to meet you. I'm Min Seyi,"
"And I'm Eunji,"
The girls quickly greeted Luhan with their biggest smiles. "Nice to meet you too," He smiled back, but the girls were still staring at him, smiling. "Girls, you are scaring him!" Minhyuk came to the rescue, and Luhan let out a small caught. "Sorry about that," Eunji apologized, "It's just you are so handsome," Seyi interrupted as they chuckled. "All girls in school are already talking about you," she continued. "I'm not that handsome," Luhan remarked. "Anyway, where the hell is Kang Heejuu? Why isn't she eating lunch with us?" Beakhyun shrugged after he finished eating. "I don't know. She's just left saying she has to meet someone," Seyi replied.
"Where is it? It has to be somewhere here," Heejuu murmured to herself as she walked through the streets she's passed this morning. A rush of anxiety ran through her body as she kept searching for her necklace. That necklace can't be lost, she kept telling herself. It is the only thing that's left from her, her mother. Heejuu didn't remember what'd happened after she met the accident. She even waited for her mother after she's been discharged from the hospital. She was too stubborn to accept the truth that her mom already left, although she's noticed there was no sign of her mother when she was at the hospital. She didn't visit her once.
Moreover, her father has taken all of her mother's belongings away, including the ones Miseo has bought for Heejuu. On the day his daughter met the accident, Kang Byunsoo swore he would never let Miseo meet their daughter again, even if it means he would never get to see his son, Kyungsoo. Taking the mother's things would help the separation better for his daughter, he thought. Little did he knew was that his six-year-old got tons of trauma from his decision.
"It was all that's left of her," Heejuu muttered as she walked through the street. Since it was almost late in the evening, she decided to go home. On the way home, she received a call from her landlady, saying she couldn't let Heejuu stay in her house. The woman has seen what happened this morning, as she wasn't pleased with the late payment she's always received, she forced the girl to move out within a night.
"Hey Luhan, we're going to the game station. You coming?" Beakhyun asked the boy when school was over. "Come with us, Luhan. It's going to be fun!" Minhyuk interrupted. "Okay then," Luhan replied, then the three of them went to the game station. Minseok and Jongdae joined them at the station. While they were playing, Luhan got a phone from his landlord, Mr.Park. "Hey Chinese boy, I'm sorry to say this, but I cannot let you stay in my house anymore," The man informed. "Why, sir? I've already paid this month's rent," Luhan stated in surprise. "I know, but the gangsters are here asking me to pay the debts. As I have no money, they'd decided to take this house and just kicked me out of the house," Mr.Park said. "What about my things?" Luhan questioned in shock. "Don't worry about it. I've explained to them about the situation, and you are fine to come and take those, but you cannot stay in tonight either," the man explained, and he hung up the phone. "Hello, sir? Hello! Mr.Park!" Luhan called, but the line was already off.
"Hey Luhan, come and see Minseok losing Jongdae!" Beakhyun called him from the station. "I have some urgent works. Sorry guys, I have to go. See you tomorrow," Luhan told the boys as he quickly took off to his home. The house was a mess; things were cluttered in the front yard while Mrs. Park was crying, and Mr.Park was sitting on the front porch. "Mr.Park, are you okay?" Luhan asked the man who was feeling low. "I'm fine. I'll just have to find a place to stay with the kids," he sighed, looking at his crying wife and kids.
"And about your rent,"
"It's okay. You don't have to pay me back," Luhan cut off the man before he finished his sentence. "Thank you, boy. You are such a nice kid. I hope you find your father soon," Mr.Park smiled as Luhan went upstairs to pack his things. After saying farewell to the family, he left for the house haunt. First, he needed a place to sleep tonight.
While he was wandering down the streets, Luhan noticed a rental sign in front of a two-story house. The house wasn't too big, but it looked cozy enough for him. So, he went into the house.
Then he saw a girl and an old lady talking on the front porch. The girl was wearing the same school uniform, but Luhan didn't quite catch her face at the moment. Then the girl asked him, "Hey, are you the transferred student from room 401, right?" He was surprised at her question since today was his first day at school. Yet, everyone seemed to know who he is already. "Yeah. I'm sorry, but who are you?" he questioned with curiosity. He also noticed that this girl was beautiful, even without make-up. "I'm Kang Heejuu. I am in the same class as you," she replied. "Oh, Kang Heejuu. Beakhyun has told me about you," he let out a small smile. "Wait, do you guys know each other?" grandma Kim asked with confusion. "Not really. He's a new student at my school," Heejuu replied, crossing her arms to her chest. "Then, why are you here, boy?" the old woman asked again.""I just saw the sign at the front gate. I was wondering if I can rent a room here," Luhan answered. "What do u mean? I'm the one who's going to stay here," Heejuu interrupted abruptly. "How much do you can pay for rent?" ignoring the girl, grandma Kim questioned with a serious tone. "I know you want 80000 won, but I can only afford 40000 won. I mean, I will help you with everything if you let me stay here," Luhan said, practically begging the old woman.
"What? Only 40000won? I'm sorry, kid, but I need 80000 won. This girl here also said the same, but I need 80000 won a month to pay back my debts," Grandma Kim sighed, feeling sorry that she nor both of the children got nothing they wanted. "But grandma, please let me stay," the kids begged in unison, yet the old woman had already made up her mind.
"Sorry kids, I can only rent the one who can pay me 80000 won a month."
Soon, the poor kids left the house. They were walking down the streets, feeling disappointed with nowhere to go. "Hey, transferred student, do you know the place where you can sleep tonight?" Heejuu broke the silence after a few minutes of quietly walking with their thoughts. "No. What about you?" asked, Luhan. "Me neither," the girl shrugged as an answer.
"What about dinner? Have u eaten?"
"Not yet. And you?"
"Me too."
"Okay, let's go to eat first. I know a good restaurant with fair prices. Since we are in the same situation, it wouldn't hurt if we help each other out with our problem," Heejuu remarked. "Yeah, I think two heads would be better than one burning overrode one," Luhan's comment made Heejuu let out a small smile. They headed to have dinner.
"Welcome, schoolgirl. It's been a long time," a woman greeted as they walked into the restaurant. "How are you doing, Ms.Lee?" Heejuu asked, taking a seat near the window. Luhan sat across her. "I'm good. What are you having? The usual ones?" Ms.Lee questioned, and Heejuu nodded as an answer. Then the woman walked back into the kitchen. "You know her?" curious, Luhan shot her a question. "Yeah. I've been eating here since I was young. The cold noddle here is the best in Seoul," Heejuu replied, reminiscing her memories. She and her mom would always come here every Sunday evening. Since her father was away for business trips most of the time, the mother and the children had to spend time alone. This is one of the places they used to visit whenever they missed their dad.
"By the way, what's your name again? I wasn't in the class when you introduced yourself," shaking her thoughts, Heejuu changed the subject. "It's Luhan. Hwang Luhan," he replied. Then their orders arrived; two cold noddle and the other side dishes. Since both of them were starving, they dug into their food without even saying a word.
"I've got an idea!" Heejuu announced after they finished eating. "Let's go to Grandma Kim again," she continued. "What for?" the boy asked in confusion. "Let's ask her to let us stay for a night since we have no place to go," she explained her idea. "Is that a good idea?" he questioned again, feeling unsure. "Then do you have a better idea where we would be sleeping tonight? Or you can stay here. I'm going back to her," she shrugged as she got on her feet. "Are you coming?" she asked, and then the boy also got up. They headed back to Grandma Kim again. Fortunately, she let the kids stay for a night since she felt sorry for the inconvenience they have to face at such a young age. Luhan got to sleep upstairs while Heejuu got to share a room with Grandma Kim. Needless to say, both of them were grateful for the generous old woman.