Chapter 40

Ms. Independent

A/N: Sorry it took so long. Had to retype it because my laptop suddenly died on me and the stupid part of me forgot to save. :| But anyway, here it is! :) Er, enjoy?


 

Taeyeon opened the door to a quiet and dark apartment. Quirking an eyebrow, she flicked the light switch on, revealing an empty living room.

 

She tiredly made her way to her room to change before heading towards Tiffany’s. She knocked softly on the door and waited for Tiffany to answer before twisting the doorknob and pushing the door open.

 

“Hey.”

 

Tiffany looked up from her laptop and smiled. “Hey. How was your date with Sunny?”

 

She chuckled. “Perfect. I think she fell in love with me even more,” she joked as she slid herself under the covers and scooted closer to Tiffany.

 

Tiffany laughed and put her laptop aside. “Oh really now? What did you guys do?” She lied down beside Taeyeon and turned to her side to face the girl.

 

Taeyeon shrugged. “Nothing much, really. Just talked and ate – mostly ate – that’s all. Have you had dinner?”

 

Tiffany nodded and reached out to tuck a strand of hair behind Taeyeon’s ear. “How about you?”

 

“Well not dinner, but like I’ve said, we mostly ate earlier so I’m still full.” Taeyeon scooted even closer as if their bodies weren’t pressed against each other enough. “What did you do all day?” It was her turn to ask as she let her arm rest on Tiffany’s hip.

 

“Just drove around and went to get some groceries.”

 

Taeyeon frowned. “I thought we were going to do it together tomorrow?”

 

“Well, yeah, but I was bored. Anyway, I bought you your favorite cereals.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes lit up. “Really?!” She was about to stand up when Tiffany’s arm circled around her, preventing her from doing so.

 

“I thought you weren’t hungry?” Tiffany asked teasingly.

 

Taeyeon pouted. “I’m not, but it’s Oreo O’s. Who can resist Oreo O’s? Definitely not me!”

 

Tiffany laughed and let her kid-like girlfriend go. She watched Taeyeon all but jump out of bed and run out of the room. She shook her head and sighed. She was definitely going to miss this.

 

Minutes later, Taeyeon came back with a bowl in her hand and a teaspoon in another, munching happily. She sat herself down on the bed, careful not to spill milk on the sheets and faced Tiffany. “You want some?”

 

Tiffany giggled when she noticed milk on the corner of Taeyeon’s lips. She wiped it off with her thumb then shook her head. “No, thanks. I’m still quite full and I don’t really like cereal.”

 

Taeyeon shrugged and shoved another spoonful inside . “Your lose.”

 

Tiffany chuckled but didn’t say anything. She sat up on the bed and leaned her back against the headboard and watched Taeyeon happily chew on her food.

 

Her eyes trailed from the girl’s perfect forehead – which was visible since her bangs were clipped back – to her twinkling pair of eyes to her cute little pointed nose down to her soft-looking plump pink lips.

 

Probably sensing eyes on her, Taeyeon turned her head. Tiffany’s eyes trailed back up to Taeyeon’s and both of them held their gazes until Taeyeon spoke up. “What?”

 

Tiffany ignored the question. Instead, she leaned forward and captured the girl’s lips, not paying any attention to the bowl that was about to topple in Taeyeon’s hands and the fact that her girlfriend’s lips tasted like Oreo.

 

She pulled back a minute later to catch her breath.

 

“W-wow,” Taeyeon said breathlessly. “T-that w-was... wow.”

 

Tiffany chuckled, still panting a bit. “Finish up quickly, dork. I’m sleepy.”

 

“What was that for though?” Taeyeon mumbled as she resumed finishing her cereal.

 

Tiffany didn’t answer and lied down on the bed before covering her body with the blanket and closing her eyes.

 

Taeyeon shrugged and gulped down the remaining milk in the bowl and rushed to the kitchen before hurrying to join Tiffany in bed.

 

---

 

“Sunny-ah! Here!” Yuri waved her arms up frantically as the doors of the café swung open, revealing the short blonde they had been waiting for.

 

“Oh hey!” Sunny waved back then dragged the girl she was with by the hand. They stopped by a table where four pairs of eyes were staring at them. “Hey guys. This is Hyoyeon.” She nudged the still sleep girl on the ribs.

 

Hyoyeon jerked and rubbed her already-bruised ribs. “Ouch. That hurt you know.”

 

“Stay awake.”

 

“I can’t. I’m too sleepy, Sunny-ah,” she unconsciously whined cutely, earning looks of disgust from the four seated spectators.

 

“Your fault for staying up late with Hayeon last night. I told you we had to do something important in the morning,” Sunny hissed.

 

“Yeah, but I didn’t know we’d be going out this early. It’s still 7AM for crying out loud!”

 

“Stop complaining and start introducing yourself.” Sunny pointed to the four amused girls sitting around the table. 

 

Only then did Hyoyeon realize that they had company. “Er, hi.” She waved awkwardly. “I’m Hyoyeon.”

 

Sooyoung smiled. “Yup, I can totally see her as Taeyeon’s relative.”

 

Yuri nodded with the others – including Sunny. “Definitely a Kim.”

 

“Yah, what’s that supposed to mean?” She frowned, a bit offended although she wasn’t sure what exactly they were talking about.

 

Sunny chuckled and tried comforting her girlfriend. “It’s nothing bad, Hyoyeon-ah.” She kissed the girl’s cheek. “Come on, let’s sit.”

 

Hyoyeon’s frown instantly disappeared as a wide smile replaced it. She took a seat beside Sunny.

 

“Yeah, it’s nothing bad, Hyoyeon-ssi. You just really remind us of Taeyeon, that’s all,” Yoona said. “Anyway, I’m Yoona and these are Yuri, Jessica and Sooyoung.”

 

Hyoyeon bowed. “Nice meeting you.”

 

The four returned the gesture. “So what’s up, Sunny? Why did you call us to meet you this early?” Jessica asked as she moved her chair closer to Sooyoung’s and leaned her head on the girl’s shoulder.

 

“Omg see?! I told you it’s still early. Even Jessica said so,” Hyoyeon interjected with a triumphant smile on her face before Sunny could answer.

 

Sunny rolled her eyes while their other companions giggled. Sunny her girlfriend. “Well, Uncle Hwang called me last night and...”

 

---

 

Tiffany woke up to the sound of her alarm clock. She huffed and turned to her side to snuggle closer to her girlfriend but frowned when she felt no one.

 

She struggled to open her eyes and her frown grew when she saw the empty side of the bed.

 

It might sound ridiculous to others but even though she had only been with Taeyeon for a short period of time, she still got used to having the girl sleeping beside her – slightly opened mouth and all – when she wakes up. 

 

It suddenly made her think about how it would be like when Taeyeon leaves. 

 

Then again, maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing to get used to waking up without Taeyeon after all.

 

And maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to get used to not having Taeyeon around her that much anymore either. 

 

She got off bed and started her day with a difficult task at hand and a heavy heart.

 

---

 

Taeyeon was humming happily while cooking breakfast when her phone rang. Turning down the heat, she pulled her phone out of her pocket and answered.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Taeyeon-ah.”

 

“Oh! Mr. Hwang! Good morning!”

 

The man chuckled, probably because of her high energy. “Good morning Taeyeon. Had a nice sleep, I presume?”

 

“Yup!” She giggled. “Oh, how may I help you, Mr. Hwang?”

 

“Oh, it’s nothing really. I just called to tell you that I will give you your pay at the end of the month.”

 

Oh yeah... That suddenly brought her mood down. “O-oh.”

 

“I’ll probably bring it there myself so you don’t have to bother coming here.”

 

“Th-thank you.”

 

“No problem. Well, that’s all. I’ll see you, Taeyeon-ah! Goodbye.”

 

“Goodbye, Sir.”