Distant Star

Wonb Collection

       Once upon a time there was a crying star. The planet nearest to it got worried and asked the star. 

"Star, star, why are you crying?" said the kind planet.

But the star kept crying and crying. The planet was persistent and kept asking.

"Star, star, why are you crying" but the star still didn't answer. The planet kept on watching and waiting until the star can stop crying but it didn't.

For the last time the planet asked. 
"Star, star, why are you crying?" 

The star finally look up to the planet and cried again and again. The planet was feeling hopeless and so she did the only thing that could help the star. The planet came closer to the star and gave its beautiful ring to the star.

"Here, take my ring so it can give you comfort. I might lose myself through this but I really do want to see you smile again. So star, smile for me. " said the planet as it slowly move its pace around its orbit when it exploded. 

The star was left dumbfounded and speechless. The planet who was not even its own kind gave up itself for the star. Years passed and the star felt comfort in the rings that was left by the planet. The star surely won't forget the planet who gave the rings. The star would always reminisce that moment as it establishes itself to size of the ring. It started to lose herself as a star and evolved in a much better state. The star soon became the most beautiful planet that exist  in the entire universe. Nobody can explain the science behind it but the star will always be grateful to the one and only planet who sacrificed itself for the star's happiness.

------------------------------------------------
"And that is the story of the planet who gave up its ring." Sowon closed the book as she entertains the follow up question of the kids in front of her. 

Every Saturday it is her hobby to come by in the library  to read for the kids there and on normal days she is a simple, boring college professor. 

"Class dismissed" Sowon announced dismissal earlier than she should be. After a while she was left alone in her classroom. Someone knocked on the door and when she looked over it was none other than the great Choi Yuju. She is also in the university as a full time dean of the College of Music. 

"You in for a lunch date?" Yuju uttered as she walks towards the taller girl. 

"Not in for anything right now." Sowon glanced at her once before continuing to fix her stuff. 

"Come on, don't be so sulky my friend! Eat with us." Yuju looked at her with pleading eyes and waited for an answer. 

"Nevermind. I know you won't give up. You never will. Let's go."

At lunch time...

"So how was your day Sowon?" Yewon asked as soon as she sat down their table. Her friend Yewon is also a professor in this university and also the dean of the College of Education. 

"Nothing new." Sowon timidly answered. 

"Well then, how are you feeling Sowon?" someone asked behind her back and it was Yerin. Professor and dean of the College of Business in this university. 

"I-I don't know." Sowon answered and looked down the table. She felt a pain in her chest. Not that it's new but she still wasn't used to it. 

"It's been a year Sowon and please know that we'll stay here beside you." Someone sat on her left side and it was Eunha. Professor and dean of the College of Information Technology. 

Sowon's mind was distracted a little when she realized something.
"Why do you all keep popping up anywhere? What are you? a Mushroom?" Sowon asked to change the atmosphere.

"No. We are dul set Deanfriends imnida!" Yuju said cheerfully but Sowon shot a death glare to her, Eunha hit her arm, Yerin kicked her legs under the table while Yewon just laughed and hugged her afterwards.

Sowon was so thankful she got friends like them even though it's clear that she's a fifth wheel in every moment together. 

If only you were here beside me then I can never ask for more.

Sowon was once again distracted on her thoughts when she realized that Eunha and Yerin are eating all her food. The two acted like nothing happened and rushed outside the dining hall. She wants to run after the two culprit but there are students nearby considering that they all have respectable positions in the university. 

"Are you going there again?" Yewon asked out of the blue. 

"Maybe? Maybe not." Sowon returned to her gloomy self, stood up and bid goodbye to the couple in front of her.

Sowon sat in her office chair and looked at their picture together. Her and her greatest love, Sinb. It has been a year and memories keeps on flooding her mind. She  can't help but cry and cry. 

It's been a year when she decided to choose her everlasting promise. A promise that until now, she keeps on holding. 

Sowon and Sinb was so in love with each other. Everything was so perfect except Sinb's parents. They hated that Sinb was in love with a normal girl despite of her being the daughter and heir of the biggest corporation in the country. Both Sowon and Sinb decided to run away. They bought a house in a suburb along with their dogs.

"You know I love you right?" Sinb uttered while making a lovely eye contact to Sowon who was hugging her. 

"No. I don't." Sowon looked at her girlfriend playfully but her Sinb looks so cute and she can't resist her charm. Sinb kissed Sowon all over her face except her lips. 

"You're still doubting me eh?" Sinb continued to shower kisses to her girlfriend until Sowon put her hands on Sinb's face and kissed her passionately on the lips. They grab each other like they are about to lose their other half. They ended in their bedroom and laid there under the blanket basking in each other's presence. 

"I know you love me. There's not a single day that I didn't know you love me." Sowon uttered and gave a peck to Sinb's lips. 

"I'm glad you know that and I also know that you are obsessed with me." Sinb looked over her Sowon only to see her face annoyed. 

"You're annoying"

"I know and I love you"

"I love you too." Sowon tightened her hug while Sinb was reaching something from the lamp table beside her. 

"What is that?" Sowon asked even though she has a clue about it. 

"It's a ring. It is a symbol of our love. When you feel sad, just look at it and you'll feel me beside you. I will never leave you my love and I'll do anything for us to stay together. I love you."  Sinb said as she put the ring to Sowon's finger. 

They are involved once again in a heated kiss through the rest of the night until they got tired physically. 

Morning came and Sowon woke up to an empty space beside her. She dressed up and looked all over the place to find Sinb. She thought that Sinb was just in the grocery to buy their necessities but there's something that is bothering her. She's nervous all day waiting for Sinb to come home. She filed a missing person report but the police told her to wait. She waited and waited until a year has passed and no Sinb came home. 

Sowon opened her eyes and there were tears in her eyes. It won't stop falling and she wants to scream. She called it a day and left to go to the tree that they used to hangout. It was a secluded area and no person can hear you even if you shout loudly. 

"SINB! COME BACK TO ME PLEASE! I MISS YOU SO MUCH! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! YOU KNOW THAT RIGHT? YOU TOLD ME YOU KNOW THAT! " Sowon fell on her knees and cried.

"You know that I love you right? I miss you please come back to me." Sowon was still in that state but all she can hear was to sound of the river nearby. She thought of ending her own life but she knows that Sinb won't like that. She's still hoping that someday they will get to see each other again.

Sowon drove to the nearest bar and bought the strongest drink that is available. It is the only way that she thought would help ease away her pain. She got so drunk that she laid her head on the bar counter crying. Someone came close to her side but she didn't care at all. She closed her eyes to lessen the headache that she's feeling right now. 

"Sowon, Sowon, why are you crying?" said the familiar voice. Sowon tried to open her eyes to know who was the one speaking. It was so familiar that her heart was beating so fast. She saw no one and looked everywhere but there was no one. She walked and walked until she felt the dizziness and blackout came soon after. 

Sowon opened her eyes with a pounding headache. She realized that the place she's at is familiar. Someone opened the door loudly and Sowon flinched and started groaning as soon as the intruder opened the curtain. 

"Sowon! Wake up! Let's eat breakfast. Yewon was the one who cooked so you can trust that it is edible." 

"Go away Yerin" Sowon got the other pillow to cover her eyes from the light.

"Ahhh you won't get up? One Yerin's diving  smash coming right up!" Sowon threw the pillow she was holding before Yerin could land on her body to slam her. 

"Okay fine I'll stand up. How did I get here anyway?" 

"An unregistered number texted me last night to pick you up and when I got there you're dead. On the floor. Dead and on the floor. On the floor and dead."

"Shut up will you? Now help your older sister up." Sowon stretches her right hand as Yerin helped her but she pulled Yerin and tackled her under. She tickled and tickled Yerin until she can't breathe.

"Is. this. how. you  repay. meEe?" Yerin can't stop chuckling. Sowon stopped only when Yuju came in and joined. Now Yerin really has no way out. They ended laying on the bed still gasping for air. 

"Thank you for staying with me girls. I don't even know where will I be if not for all of you." Sowon genuinely said.

"On the floor. Dead. Dead on the floor" Yerin teased Sowon and another round of wrestling and tickling happened again until Yewon and Eunha came in to get their girlfriends. 

"Haaa thank you for saving me Eunha. I can't breathe." Yerin hid behind her girlfriend's back.

"Do that to Sowon again and I'll be the one to that to you." Eunha smirked and invited all of them to have breakfast. 

Sowon thought that she'll never be able to fall in love again but at least she was blessed to have friends like them. 

Another week has come and it's the usual day for Sowon. She was walking towards the university when someone walked passed by her so fast. Sowon once again felt the familiarity and her heart was beating fast again. She looked everywhere but there were no familiar people there except for the students that she knew. She shrugged it off and continued her day. 

Sowon was on a coffee shop with Eunha when someone walked passed by her again but there was no familiar person around her again. 

Those instances happened everywhere - the grocery store, the dining hall, her apartment's lobby. She was getting creeped out because she thought she was being stalked. She moved to Yerin's place temporarily because of fear.

Another month passed and she went to same place where she and Sinb used to meet up. The tree in that secluded area at the back of the university. She brought flowers this time as she sat under the tree. 

"Hey Sinb, I'm so sorry for what happened last time. I still don't know why you left me without saying goodbye. I don't even know if I would ever get that answer but please know that I love you so much and nothing will ever - " tears are starting fall again in Sowon's eyes.

"- ever change that. I miss you and I wish that you will always be happy wherever you are. I love you." Sowon put her head on top of her knees as she cried and cried.

"Sowon, Sowon, why are you crying?" Sowon opened her eyes because it was the same voice that she heard in the bar that night. 

"Sowon, Sowon, why are you crying?"

This time Sowon stood up and dust herself off. No wonder the voice was so familiar because that is the voice that she was longing to hear since a year ago. 

"Sinb? Sinb is that you? " Sowon heard rustling behind her back and turned around. She found a woman wearing a mask and a cap. 

The woman was smaller than her and she stared at her intensely hoping that it was her Sinb. The woman removed her mask and cap. 

"Yes it's me. Miss me?" The woman answered with a smile.

Without wasting any second, Sowon ran to the girl and hugged her like she won't let go of her this time. 

"Where were you? What happened to you? Are you okay? Does anything hurt?" Sowon asked as she check her girl for any wounds or bruises. She was stopped by Sinb's hand. Their worlds move slowly as they pull each other to a kiss full of longing and love. 
Sinb grab Sowon's hand to let them sit together under the tree.

"When my parents learned that we ran away, they started to give threats. They wanted to kill you and our friends. When I thought that it was the right time to execute my plan, I gave you that ring so you won't forget me. I wanted to protect you at all cost. I moved back to my parents and did everything that I could. I investigated all their transactions and kept track of their illegal businesses and submitted it to the court to file for a lawsuit.  My parents were arrested and dad died in prison due to heart attack. I'm so sorry it took me a year to come back to you." Sinb was looking far away when Sowon held her hand. 

"I don't care what happened to the past. What's important right now is that we can continue our story the way we want it too."

Sinb looked at her Sowon and smiled. 
"Can I ask you a question that is long overdue?" Sinb asked.

"Anything babe."

"Will you marry me?" And Sinb put out another ring from her pocket. This time it has diamonds in it. 

"If I wear that, will you leave me again?" Sowon asked with hesitation

"Never, my love." 

Sowon kissed Sinb like there's no tomorrow. 

"Then it's a yes for me." 

They both got lost into each other's eyes as they stared at each other lovingly. Smiles are forever sketched in each other's mind. 

Finally, the planet came back to the star who is also now a planet with her ring still attached.