Chapter 4: Flashback

Centuries Too Late

Daegu, 1395

 

"Yerimie!"

 

Yerim turned around and greeted the man who called her. A huge smile was plastered across her face, her heart pounding against her chest.

 

Sehun.

 

The man she loves dearly. 

 

They were 8 when they first met. Born to a family of farmers who worked at the southern part of the country. They spent a lot of time together and ten years later, they were 18 and love started to blossom.

 

"What are you doing?" Sehun asked.

 

"I'm picking herbs for supper."

 

She paused and smiled knowingly. If anyone knew what Sehun was thinking, it was her.

 

"You want to help me?"

 

Sehun nodded eagerly, took the basket from her and held her hand. He dragged her to where they will be picking herbs and kissed the side of her head.

 

"Do you ever wonder what it would be like in the castle?" Sehun asked.

 

"We'd never have to struggle like this."

 

"What's wrong with what we have?" Yerim questioned.

 

"Don't you want more?"

 

Yeri laughed with mirth and nudged him in the side. 

 

"You have to learn to be contented, you know?"

 

Yerim took ahold of his arm and sighed.

 

"And besides, you have me, right? Why would you want more?"

 

Sehun smiled at her and ruffled her hair.

 

"You're absolutely right."

 


1397

 

Years later, Yerim was summoned by the King and he requested that she was to be his concubine. 

 

The elders had opposed because she did not come from a noble family. What use did they have for a girl who came from an unknown family? No connections, no lands, no money, and no titles.

 

But the King insisted, because he was smitten by her beauty.

 

And so Yerim's family did not have any choice.

 

Sehun was devastated, so he volunteered to be a palace guard. 

 

He trained endlessly, until he met Yerim in the castle.

 


1397

 

Then, Yerim became Queen in the same year.

 

The previous Queen had died due to childbirth and so the King chose her to fill her stead. 

 

Yerim felt trapped. 

 

Everyone else made decisions for her. She was not to do this, to do that, there were so many restrictions.

 

Yeri felt suffocated.

 

Until she saw Sehun.

 

And so they exchanged letters secretly. They were in cohorts with Yeri's handmaiden, Seulgi. They met during the wee hours of the night and their eyes talked whenever they were in broad daylight.

 

This went on for years until they got caught, that is.