Chapter 3: Escape

Centuries Too Late

Hanseong, 1400

The Palace Dungeons

Inshi

 

"Yerim! Yerim!" A voice called.

 

Yeri awoke to the sound of a man calling her name. Her head hurt, her legs were numb and her neck was sore. She struggled to sit up and meet the person who was calling her.

 

"Hurry up or they'll know I'm here."

 

As her gaze focused, she saw that he was the man from earlier. Fear rushed through her body as the backed up against the wall of t he chamber, knocking the servant awake.

 

"My Queen! What happened?"

 

No words came from , her hands started to shake as tears started to fill her eyes. Yeri was extremely frightened.

 

"Seulgi?"

 

"Sehun?"

 

The servant scurried to where the man stood and spoke to him.

 

"I'll leave the key to you, Seulgi. Take Yerim out of here while I stall the guards outside. Got it?"

 

The man ran off and the servant nodded. She grabbed Yerim by the arm, bringing her to where the lock is. 

 

"Listen my Queen, we're going to get you out of here, okay?" She reassured.

 

When the servant opened the lock, they ran through the dark chambers. They heard voices up ahead and hid behind the corners, checking every now and then if it was safe to pass through. They were almost near the exit when a booming voice roared.

 

"Stop them!"

 

The servant desperately attempted to fight the guards whilst telling the Queen to run away without her. Yerim ran as fast as she could. She ran to wherever her feet took her.

 

But then an arrow was shot against her arm.

 

Yerim ran and tried to move forwards until her body could no longer take the pain.

 

"As your wish, my Queen."

 

The guards took ahold of her and made her stand in a platform with a wooden device.Her arms and legs were tied and a rope hung loosely against her neck.

 

The people gathered around to where she stood, as the servant from earlier was brought up to the stand as well. 

 

"I am happy to have served you, Queen Yerim." The servant whispered.

 

Tears fell from her eyes as she fought back to try and escape. Was this really how she died? The officials were speaking something she did not understand. Their mouths moved, but no words started to form.

 

"Please, take me instead!" The man that helped them escape pleaded.

 

Sehun. Yeri, recognized him. He was tied up by the guards and was beating him from the side. 

 

"Yerim, no!"

 

Who was Sehun? Was he her lover? Why did he come to the present? Why is she experiencing her past? Millions of questions seeped through the spaces of her mind when her thoughts were interrupted when the officials pulled the lever and the trap door below her opened.