Chapter 4

Lost in shadows

 

Seeing as how she wasn't getting up, they decided to sit on the floor as well, though they made it a point not to place themselves too close to her.

"So...On bed. Fall asleep. Bam! And you find yourself here. Anything else happened in between?" Jeongmin asked again.

"Nothing! Urgh... I don't know...Maybe something happened but I can't remember it...and nobody really remembers themselves falling asleep anyway." she replied from her curled up position on the floor, resting her head on her knees. "Please stop asking me the same questions..." Su Hyun pleaded. She really had no idea what had happened that night or the night before but for some reason, they were very persistent in finding out. It was starting to drive her nuts. She wanted to just close her eyes and forget the whole thing, hopefully waking up on her bed when she opened them. Unfortunately, that hadn't worked when she tried (and she'd tried five times already...).

"You guys keep asking me questions but you're always avoiding mine." Su Hyun complained halfheartedly. "The least you can do is tell me where I am...What is this place?"

The boys looked at each other again. They had done that a lot of times that night (if it even was night wherever they were then), as if they all had their own answers but weren't sure what to say and what not to say. She'd already concluded that they were hiding a lot from her, about themselves and about this room (which, by the way, didn't seem to have a door). Thinking about it, the logical first thing she should have done when she found herself in this place was to try to find an exit but she'd been so preoccupied with the fact that the whole situation might not even be real that she hadn't thought of it. Now, looking around the four-walled beige room, she established once again the absence of a door or any other openings, like windows or air vents, making her wonder how any air got in. Hanging on the left wall were hundreds of mirrors, though not all of them seemed to be properly reflecting the opposite wall. Initially, she assumed that some might be cracked or stained, hence showing images that weren't similar to what was opposite of it, what it was supposed to reflect. However, she then noticed that some of the images actually seemed to be moving. Shaking her head, she blinked and stared at it again. She found forming a tiny "O".

"Er...What are those?" she pointed to the oval screens, curious and surprised. The boys hadn't replied her previous question so she figured she might as well ask another one.

"Oh. Erm. Mirrors, I guess. Though they sometimes show stuff." Youngmin replied, his head turned towards the direction of her point.

Su Hyun raised an eyebrow, "Stuff?"

"Well, we think it shows dreams. " Minwoo explained, "It usually shows people in weird, unrealistic situations that look like dreams, anyway..."

"Going to school ...situations that keep changing though the person remains oblivious to the change...meeting celebrities...ual fantasies...We've seen it all, really. " Jeongmin grinned shamelessly.

"Dreams." Su Hyun blurted out, her tone layered thickly with disbelief. "You guys have mirrors that show dreams." She had the sudden urge to slap herself as she said this. Maybe that would wake her up from this peculiar world. Or maybe she should just whack her head against the wall, in hope it brought her back to her bedroom before it broke her confused skull (Not that skulls could be confused. Only minds could. Ahh, what was she talking about...) Su Hyun cradled her head in her hands. How did Alice deal with Wonderland? Of course, that had turned out to be just a dream. She wasn't too sure if the same applied to her current situation...

"Perhaps dreams are considered as private, personal belongings of a person but the mirrors have been here for as long as we have known. We didn't create them but sometimes, we choose to look. However, as we didn't create them, we don't quite know about them. So if you have any questions regarding them, simply don't ask us." Donghyun shrugged. He sat opposite her, just as the other guys did, though as much as the others seemed to want to know about how she had gotten there, he didn't seem to be interested in it at all. In fact, he looked bored and slightly annoyed at her presence. The thought of this made her a bit angry. Her appearance in this place was never her doing.

"Are you guys...Is this..." Su Hyun paused, biting her lip. Seeing as how crazy the whole situation was (entering the same this-feels-real-but-it-can't-be-real place twice after falling asleep, finding six strangers that had no idea how she had ended up there either, discovering a huge collection of mirrors that showed dreams...), the idea had popped into her mind. It sounded silly but she felt she had to voice it out. Lifting her head up to look at the boys, she noticed they were waiting for her to finish her question. She gulped. "Is this...Is this a parallel dimension? To my world? And...and...is falling asleep like the portal or bridge for me to enter?" The moment she said it out loud, she realised that it sounded even more stupid than it had in her head. Glancing at them to know of their reaction, she noticed that all 6 boys looked rather amused. Her cheeks felt warm. Ahh, this was embarrassing...

To her surprise though, Donghyun started nodding his head. "Yeah. It is. And if you were expecting any more of a...parallel dimension, don't. This place is confined to the area within the four walls and that's because this room is all that exists of the place. "

She couldn't decide if he was telling the truth or not. All the guys looked serious now. Had she imagined the initial amusement in their eyes then? Could she really have guessed right, that this place was a parallel dimension? But that sounded absolutely insane, if not downright dumb. However, she found herself easily accepting what Donghyun had said about nothing existing outside the four walls of the large room. That was the second and perhaps, as she thought about it, the most prevailing reason in why she hadn't thought of surveying her surroundings and finding an escape route earlier. There was something about the room, something about being confined within this dull beige concrete that gave you the feeling of being trapped, stuck, forever forced to face the menace behind the absolute solidness of the four walls. There was just...something about it that made you feel hopelessly imprisoned, not locked inside a building behind a rusty gate that could be opened with a little bit of wit but ruthlessly thrown into the middle of nowhere, where escape was non-existent simply because there was nothing to escape to, nothing outside of the cage. As she pondered about the feeling the room had given her since she had entered, sprouting up in her mind was the sudden mental image of a place devoured by ravenous shadows...A room of people hopelessly lost within a certain angered darkness that prided itself in its extensions into infinity. And here she was, as stuck as they were.

~

Is it really a parallel dimension? Or is there more to that place then they'll letting on? Heheh. You'll find out soon enough ;) Ahh, I wish I could just start writing the fluffy parts...