Chapter Eight

All tied up

The number of holes in the road started to rise as they got further and further away from where they once were. Suri and Jibeom were no longer given the luxury of sitting in the back seats as they were bound, gagged and thrown into the trunk of the van. It wasn't the same one that they were initially kidnapped in, which raised the question on if they were working alone or not. 

Suri was scared and Jibeom knew it. The look in her eyes were the answer to that question, but the tears she tried to hold back kept falling. They had been on the road for what seemed like ages. The sun was starting to set and Jibeom's main concern was how long it would take to walk from where they were if they managed to escape again. Getting Suri to safety gave him a bit of hope. He didn't want her hurt and he would murder anyone who dared lay a hand on her, both things he had already failed. He hated himself for letting them get caught again. He was so happy after the previous nights events that he didn't care that there was still two weird men hunting for them like they had prize money on their heads. 

Jibeom started wiggling around the floor of the trunk before his foot hit the trunk door, making him realize that it was in fact- not closed properly. They hadn't shut the door completely which meant they could just roll right out and make their escape. He just had to find a way to get out of his binds and not alert the men driving them to their possible deaths. 

Suri was looking at Jibeom as he struggled to get his binds to loosen and she took that as a hint to start trying to unbind herself as well. Slowly but surely Jibeoms binds started to loosen as he tugged on a stray piece of the rope. Finally free of his binds, he grabbed Suri's arm and kicked the door open, immediately rolling out. Unfortunately, his grip on the latter loosened unexpectedly as he rolled and she stayed put in the van. The rope binding her had caught onto something in the van and she was stuck not being able to roll out, even if she wanted to. 

Jibeom quickly untied the cloth that served as a gag before trying to run after the van. He couldn't lose her like this. This wasn't meant to happen. He quickened his pace as much as he could before he realized that he'd never catch up to them. His paced slowed down before he came to a complete stop, tears starting to trickle down his cheeks. They could have been free. He stood in the middle of the dark and empty high way until he heard a siren from behind him. Turning his head, he realized a police car was coming right for him. He started waving at the car, making sure to catch their attention. This was his last hope. 

The car stopped in front of him and one of the police officers got out, quickly making it to his side to ask him for his name and where Suri was. Apparently after the kidnapping, the drama club had gone straight to a police station to report the disappearance and the police had immediately pieced together that the kidnappers were none other than the ones they had been chasing down before. They had been looking all around Seoul when an elderly lady had made a report about two kids being kidnapped from her home to the local police in her area. 

Jibeom was quickly ushered into the car as he pointed in the direction where the van was last seen. He described the two men and what he could make out of the back of the van, including the fact that they could be seriously injured due to the car accident that took place the day before. He continued on with telling them how they had survived for the past 24 hours, but they had already heard that side from Hyojin who was, thankfully, still alive and well. 

Suri was terrified. Not only was she still in the van but the only person who was keeping her from going insane was gone. She started shaking, tears starting to form in her eyes again and she thought of all the possibilities of where she would end up if the stayed in the van. The van came to a stop suddenly when the kidnappers realized that the trunk door was still open, but when they got to the back to investigate and realized that Jibeom was gone, the "boss" slammed his fist on the floor of the trunk. 

"That little brat is going to make us lose so much money. How could you not close the trunk properly you-" His words were cut off when the sound of sirens became more distinct. "Lose the van, we're going by foot. Grab her."

Doing as he was told, the latter took hold of the still crying Suri and yanked her out of the trunk. He shut the trunk and flung her over his shoulder, following his boss into the cover of trees. The sirens started to ring louder as they got further and further away from the main road, but the two weren't worried due to the thicket that was covering their tracks. 

Suri started to wiggle around, struggling to get out of the situation she knew that she'd never get out of, nonetheless, she had to get back to Jibeom. She knew he'd be out to get her, but at this rate would he even find her?