(Bonus) Chapter Seven - Past

The King and the Street-rat

NOTE

Hi lovelies,

SURPRISE!!! Were you surprised? Because I am!

I did not expect to write another chapter but my mind has been bugging me to write this so I did. And I just couldn't let go of my Heiran and Yoongi.

I did not find a music for chapter 7 because this was a very spontaneous moment.

Enjoy ♡

 


Young Jungkook’s patience is ticking like a time bomb. He agreed to accompany his mother and father for a new business venture meeting in exchange for an afternoon playtime with his closest friend, Seokjin. “But this is taking so long!” He thought to himself, groaning. It has been a little bit over an hour since the meeting started and he’s already bored to his wits. He forgot to bring the book that he wanted to read and listening to adults gossip, instead of talking about the actual business, was annoying him.

 

He tugged on his mother’s sleeve and asked if he can walk out while he’s waiting. “Okay, dear. But let Nobi walk with you. Come back in an hour,” his mother told Jungkook and his cheek. Jungkook nodded at her mother and gave her a cheeky smile before walking out of the stuffy room.

 

Once he was out, he inhaled a breath of fresh air and turned to face the servant who went with them. “Ahjussi, do you know where the market is?”

 

“Yes, Doryeong. It’s just a few streets from here.” He led the young master to the busy market and they walked around in silence.

 

Jungkook beamed as they passed by the bookshop. He had been asking his father to buy a book that Seokjin recommended but apparently, his father was too busy with palace work that he hasn’t had time to pass by it on his way home after work. When he found the book, he smiled happily and rummaged some coins from the pouch attached to his pants. “Oh, Ahjussi, do you know if Heiran-ah mentioned about wanting some new books? Since we’re here, I figured that I'd get what she wanted.”

 

Their servant shook his head, “I don’t know, Doryeong, but I recall hearing Agashi telling Sung that she needs some fresh new parchments and a journal.”

 

“I will just pay for this before we walk to the parchment store.” He paid for the two books that he got and handed it over to their servant to store it on the basket he’s holding since he didn’t have his drawstring bag with him today.

 

Jungkook was grinning widely as he was happy with the purchase he just made from the parchment shop. He bought two sets of parchment for his little sister - a yellow one with daises and a pink one with cherry blossoms, another white plain set for him, and two new journals - one for him and one for Heiran. He also managed to find a bamboo bookmark to give to Seokjin later.

 

As they were walking back to where his parents were, Jungkook heard the voice of a lady and a boy asking for help. He followed the voice with the servant behind him trying to tell him to ignore it. “Doryeong, let’s just go back to Juennim and Manim. It’s too dangerous!” He whispered to Jungkook but Jungkook was not having it.

 

“Please let go, Nari.” A woman was on her knees, trying to push away a noble-looking man, who has a death grip on her arm, and pleading to let her go. A young boy was crying and pulling the man away from the woman.

 

“Come on, Hyunae! Your husband is dead now, leaving you to fend for yourself and your child. We can get married today and you don’t have to live in the streets anymore. Besides, I have always wanted to taste you,” the man said while his lips and holding her chin up to face him. He was met by a vicious look and a spit that landed on his newly pressed hanbok. “If you can’t respect me, then at least respect my fallen husband! He treated you as his closest friend and this is how you repay him?”

 

“You wench!” He shoved the boy back, who’s still hitting on his back, and roughly pushed the woman down. This made Jungkook run towards the boy and comfort him.

 

“How dare you dirty my clothes! Don’t act high and mighty, Hyunae! You’re just a mere dirty slave now without that good-for-nothing husband of yours.” He slapped the woman in the face before turning around and facing Jungkook and the shaking boy. “And you! Well, well, well, who’s this other brat?! Another son from another man, Hyunae?”

 

“Don’t you dare touch my son!” Before the man was able to touch Jungkook, a voice echoed behind the crowd that formed around the commotion. Jungkook’s parents and their servant made their way through the crowd and the man gulped, recognizing the face of the man who owns the business he’s managing and who is also the Minister of Defense.

 

“I apologize, Yeonggam. I didn’t know that the other boy is your son.” The man bowed his body and backed away from the approaching minister with guards behind him.

 

“I don’t want to hear such chaos in the streets again or someone will have to pay the consequences,” Bonhwa announced loudly, causing the crowd to dissipate, not wanting to get involved. 

 

“I- It’s this woman’s fault, Yeonggam! She pulled me and tried to assault me!” The man turned the blame on the cowering woman on the ground. Jungkook spoke up and told his father what he had witnessed, “No, Abanim. This Ahjussi is the one hurting them!”

 

Before the man could do anything, the guards seized him and pulled him away to punish him for his crimes.

 

“Jungkook! You could have been hurt!” His mother pulled Jungkook into her embrace. She got so worried when their servant came back looking worried and scared without Jungkook with him. “Young man! You are punished! We are going straight home! We’ll not be going to the Kim’s today!” His mother frowned at Jungkook for being too kind and just, always wanting to correct the wrongs, like his father.

 

Jungkook sighed and looked down, “It’s okay, Eomanim. But- Can we help them?” He looked back and saw that the older woman and the boy were also embraced like him and his mother. “Please, Eomanim. I-I know that someone, if not the same man, but someone will hurt them again if we just leave them behind.”

 

Jungkook’s parents stood on the side to discuss their son's request so while waiting, Jungkook made his way to the boy and introduced himself. He learned that his name is Yoongi and his mother is Hyunae.

 

A week ago, their house got burnt to ashes from some unknown cause, burning their things and killing his father. The things that they managed to save were on the ground and they were trying to sell it just to have some money for food.

 

Finally, after a few minutes, Jungkook’s mother approached Hyunae and offered to provide food, shelter, and clothing in exchange for her service and Yoongi’s once he gets old enough to work. Hyunae agreed since she doesn’t have any choice anymore. After that horrific event, she and Yoongi were left with nothing except a few coins, few clothes that they managed to take, and a few things that they rummaged through the rubble after the fire was put out. She doesn’t want Yoongi to grow up in the streets and get beaten or bullied.

 

“Come on. Pack up your belongings and let’s head to our home,” Jungkook’s mother smiled warmly at Hyunae and Yoongi as they pack up their things in a small basket.

 

On their way home, Yoongi remained silent as he listened to his mother answer questions from his Juennim and Manim, and to Jungkook Doryeong telling him stories about his little sister and his friends, probably trying to reassure him that they’re a nice family to serve to. But Yoongi still felt sad, hurt, and scared over everything that happened that he doesn’t care about this new family. He doesn’t want to be a servant to anyone, he just wants to be with his mother.

 

With all of these thoughts in his head, he didn’t realize that they’ve finally arrived at the house of his masters until he heard a beautiful chirpy voice that called out, making him lose his train of thought and look for the owner of it.

 

Abanim! Eomanim! Orabeoni!” A young girl, probably about his age, Yoongi thought, ran towards the gate entrance, excitedly greeting her parents and her brother. “Why are you back so early? I thought you’re going to visit- Oh, we have visitors?” The girl met his gaze and smiled shyly at him and his mother. He felt an unusual fluttering feeling inside him as he gazed at her.

 

“Hello! I’m Jeon Heiran!” She bowed the same time Yoongi’s mother did. Hyunae noticed the dazed look on her son so she patted his and urged him to bow to the young lady. Yoongi whispered an apology before giving a respectful bow.

 

Bonhwa led them to the servant’s quarters at the back of the huge family’s house and provided a room of their own. Yoongi noted at how nice it looked for a servant’s quarters. It has a common area for eating, a kitchen, bathrooms, and several private sleeping quarters.

 

“I expect you two to be up early tomorrow. You will be introduced to the other servants and someone will show you around the property. Then by evening when I get back from work, we will discuss what services I expect from you and how your services will be paid,” Bonhwa told them, eyeing the young boy as he paced around the small room, clearly not interested in what he has been saying.

 

The next morning, Hyunae woke up early, feeling well-rested for not having to worry about food and shelter anymore, but on the corner of her eye, she saw her Yoongi, who didn’t look like he had any sleep at all.

 

“Are you okay, Yoongi?” His mother felt his forehead to check for any sign of fever, worry dripping from her voice. “I am okay, Eomanim. I just couldn’t sleep last night. Come on, Eomanim, we don’t want to be late and get kicked out on our first day.” Yoongi smiled at his mother, trying to lighten up the mood but being his mother, she can see right through him, that his a smile is as broken as his heart.

 

A simple breakfast of bread, some fruits, and tea was already on the table. They met some of the servants already as they ate then they proceeded to wait for their master in front of their house.

 

Heiran was up early. She wanted to accompany Ahjussi Sung in showing their new servants around the house and to help with his chores. Besides, a few weeks after this, Ahjussi Sung will be retiring and moving out soon and she knows that she will miss him a lot for he has been like a grandfather to her ever since she could remember. Or maybe, she also just wanted to get a glimpse of the boy she met yesterday and to maybe get him to be her friend.

 

Ahjussi Sung, good morning!” Heiran walked behind his father and Ahjussi Sung. “Can I be with you when you take Ahjumma around the house later?”

 

Agashi, I think you should ask permission from Juennim,” Ahjussi Sung looked behind to see the young lady skipping in her step as she follows them around.

 

Abanim, can I?”

 

“Okay, Heiran, but do not disturb them from their work,” Bonhwa told her firmly before squatting to her height and hugging her. “Be good when I am at work and do your readings.”

 

“I will, Abanim.”

 

“Ah good, you’re up early.” Bonhwa was surprised to see his new servant and her son already waiting by the front door of their house. “This is Sung. He will be retiring and leaving soon so you will carry out his duties and responsibilities in the house.” He turned to face Sung. “They are our new servants: Hyunae and her son, Yoongi.”

 

“Yoongi,” Heiran whispered to herself. She absentmindedly bowed to her father, who’s already on his way out to work, as she thought of ways how to approach her new friend.

 

AgashiAgashi-“ Ahjussi Sung called out to the dazed young lady.

 

Agashi, we must go along now.” Heiran seemed to have woken up from her reverie when Yoongi slightly poked her shoulder. She felt her cheeks heat up before bowing and apologizing for spacing out.

 

The day went by smoothly with Ahjussi Sung doing most of the talking, guiding Hyunae and Yoongi around the house, the servant’s quarters, the barns and stables, and the place where they store the famous traditional kimchi of the Jeon family. He also informed Hyunae that she will most likely be responsible for cleaning the house, doing the laundry, and buying food from the market every morning but he assured her not to worry as she will be working with the other servants too.

 

As the adults discussed work, Heiran kept tapping on Yoongi’s arm or asking random questions such as what his favorite fruit is, if he has friends, or whether he prefers spicy or sweet food but all she received all day was silence. Not even a glance was spared for her.

 

Few days have come and gone, Ahjussi Sung is already preparing to leave while Ahjumma Hyunae is already getting the gist of her daily routine but Yoongi still ignores the persistent Heiran. She rarely sees him every morning as he either goes with his mother to buy fresh meat and produce in the market or he either stays in the servants quarters, which Heiran was forbidden to enter. Whenever they come back, she would be able to catch a glimpse of his gloomy face but she would usually be with her mother studying or embroidering flowers on tapestries or clothes. During her free time, she would wander around the back of their house, hoping to see him but it would always seem that Yoongi is hiding.

 

A month passed with the same routine until one day, Heiran was walking by the side of the stream that passes on the far back of their house, wanting to find something to draw. Hidden behind a big rock across the stream, Heiran spotted the boy she had been trying to befriend all month long.

 

“Yoongi!” Heiran called out for the said boy but she still got ignored. Fuming, she attempted to cross the stream but she slipped and plopped down because of the slippery wet rocks. Yoongi felt the blood drain from his face as he heard a loud plop followed by a hiss of pain. He ran from his hiding spot towards her and helped her up, leading her to sit on top of the huge rock where he was hiding. He tore a part of his sleeve and tied it on the cut on her palm to stop the bleeding.

 

“I’m sorry-“

 

“I apologize-“

 

Both of them spoke at the same time. A blush evident on Heiran’s face as Yoongi was still holding onto her scarred hand.

 

A-agashi, you go first.”

 

“I-“ Heiran hesitated before continuing, “I heard a part of your story, of what happened, from Orabeoni but I wanted to hear it from you. I believe that it lightens the heart if you have someone you can confide your secrets, happy or sad, to instead of keeping all your worries inside so I want to be your friend.” After a few moments of comfortable silence, Heiran felt droplets of water drip on the palm that Yoongi was holding. She looked up but it was not raining until she realized that it was coming from Yoongi’s eyes.

 

“Oh-“ Heiran scooted to the side of the rock and pulled Yoongi to sit beside her, letting him cry on her shoulder.

 

Yoongi’s shoulders wracked as he cried his heart out. All of the emotions he has been keeping since his father died kept flowing out. “I-I miss Abanim. I-I keep thinking that if I did not go back to our house to get the stone he gave me, he wouldn’t die in the fire.” With shaking hands, he pulled a polished precious stone with a carving of his name tied around his neck from underneath his hanbok. “I felt bad for Eomanim. I don’t know how to help her. If Abanim didn’t die because of me, he would still be with us. Even if our house burnt down, we would still be complete but no-“

 

Not knowing the right words to say, Heiran shifted to wrap an arm around his shoulders.

 

“I- I really want to apologize, Agashi. I didn’t mean to ignore you. You don’t deserve my ill manners. You are my master’s daughter so I am ready to accept any punishment.” Young Yoongi sniffled as he looked down in shame for his behavior.

 

Heiran hushed him and smiled, “It’s okay, Yoongi. You did not need to apologize. You have gone through a lot and I might not understand what you feel but I will try to understand because I’m your friend.”

 

After a while, listening to the flow of water on the stream and the soft chirping of the birds seemed to have calmed the young pair. Yoongi finally sat up straight, wiped his tears, and faced Heiran. “Thank you, Agashi. But I apologize for dirtying your hanbok for being beside a servant like me.”

 

Heiran frowned, frustrated that her new friend is still treating her as her father’s daughter instead of a friend. “If you are feeling really bad and if you are feeling grateful, I have a request from you.”

 

“I will do anything you ask me to, Agashi. What should I do?”

 

Heiran happily jumped down from the rock, surprising Yoongi. “I want you to be my friend and not call me Agashi but call me Heiran instead. Well, only if it’s us two since I don’t want you to get in trouble with Abanim if he hears you.” He looked at her in wonder, thinking how could a noble person like her be so kind to someone lowly as him.

 

“Heiran-ah! Awoo!” 

 

Their small bubble was shattered when they recognized Jungkook’s voice calling for Heiran. Seeing as though Yoongi got distracted, Heiran suddenly took his hand and curled her pinky around his pinky and stamped their thumbs together. He was taken by surprise that he wasn’t able to do anything.

 

“There you made a promise, Yoongi. You will call me Heiran from now on.”

 

Heiran smiled then slowly and carefully crossed the stream and walked back to the house, where Jungkook’s voice is coming from. “I’m here, Orabeoni!”

 

Yoongi could only stare, feeling something warm bubbling inside him. His lips unconsciously curved up in a genuine smile. “Heiran,” he whispered to himself and smiled even wider.

 


Nobi - Servant/Slave

Ahjussi - a term used to address a middle-aged man

Doryeong - Young Master - a term used by a servant to address the son of his/her master

Juennim - Master

Manim - a term used by servants to address the wife of their servants

Nari - Sir/Master - a term used by commoners to address nobleman

Yeonggam - Your Lordship - a term used to address ministers

Abanim - Father - an old form of abeonim

Eomanim - Mother - an old form of eomeonim

Orabeoni - a more affectionate term used by females to address their older brother (Orabeonim is the more formal term)

Ahjumma - a term used to address a middle-aged woman

Agashi - a term used to address daughters of nobles

Awoo - an affectionate term used to address younger siblings

 

♡♡♡ Comment, subscribe and upvote ♡♡♡


P.S. I may or may not have 1-2 more extra chapters in mind. So stick around ♡ Love lots!