Chapter Two - Past

The King and the Street-rat

NOTE

Hi everyone,

It's me again! Back with Chapter 2 and more music recommendation to listen to while you read the chapter. It's from "Moon Embracing The Sun" again because it has a really great soundtrack (and I'm such a big fan of this drama!).

https://youtu.be/YZiL74MTxk0

https://youtu.be/54zWXL06xn4

So, here's the second chapter. I hope you enjoy it!

 


10 years ago

 

“What did I tell you about causing trouble?!” Heiran’s father’s loud voice echoed all over the house as he hit Yoongi, his bloodied and dirty slave, on the hand with his long cane.

 

Bonhwa, Heiran's father, was on his way home after a busy day in the palace when he heard a commotion happening by the entrance of his house. Nearing the commotion, he recognized his young slave, who’s involved in the fight, and his young daughter, crying in the sides and trying to stop the fight. He felt his anger rise up and after one firm command, Bonhwa dragged the beaten up boy inside while the other boys scrambled away. He felt so angry at the embarrassment that Yoongi has caused. Bonhwa is loving to his family and prefers a quiet life, avoiding to be the talk of the town. So, he never tolerates someone who causes humiliation and embarrassment to the family no matter what the explanation was.

 

“Please Abanim, don’t hit Yoongi. It’s not his fault! He was just trying to defend me from the other boys,” young Heiran cried out loud, trying to stop her father from hitting Yoongi even more. Her mother’s arms were wrapped around her to prevent her from going to the young boy, who’s being punished.

 

As if her father never heard anything, Bonhwa continued hitting Yoongi. “Why did you do that?! I told you to stay away from any fights. And why is my daughter calling you by your name?! What did you do to her?!”

 

Yoongi opened his mouth to answer as clearly as he can without groaning or crying out in pain. “J-juennim, they deserve t-to be beaten up for inappropriately talking about A-agashi.” He tried to reason out but knowing his master, he will just get ignored until he receives his punishment so he just closed his eyes and his mouth tightly as the cane collided on his palms.

 

Abanim, he’s telling the truth. Don’t hurt him anymore,” Heiran cried out louder and thrashed around in her mother’s arms. “Orabeoni!” she called out to her brother, who just came home.

 

Jungkook, Heiran’s older brother, came walking in from his training in the palace, witnessing his father harshly beating up Yoongi even after hearing the explanation. “Abanim, I think Yoongi had enough. Let’s just talk about this calmly during dinner.”

 

As if waking up from a trance, Bonhwa stopped hitting the poor slave. “Hanyeo, prepare dinner now and a hot bath for my son.” He called for Hyunae, Yoongi’s mother, who’s their maid in the house. Then, he pointed towards Yoongi, “No meals tonight! And you’ll be staying with your mother in the stables for a few days away from my daughter until I know that you’ve learned your lesson.”

 

“A-“ Heiran made to object but Jungkook shook his head. “Don’t worry. We’ll help them, Awoo,” he whispered into his sister’s ear as he held her comfortingly and lead her back to the house. She looked back to where Yoongi kneeled and caught his eye. He looked at her, assuring her that he’s okay.

 

“I took you and your mother from the streets to our house and this is how I get repaid,” Bonhwa whispered to himself but loud enough for Yoongi to hear. He leaned to his wife as they head in, leaving the poor boy to mend for himself.

 

Still angry at her father, Heiran stubbornly refused to eat dinner with her family and asked for hers to be sent to her quarters. She packed her dinner in a clean cloth and hid it in one of her cabinets, pretending to have finished her dinner. She paced around her room worriedly and tried to think of when and how to sneak out and go to the stables.

 

After the last light in their house was turned off, she counted to half of a thousand to be positive that everyone was already asleep. She carefully maneuvered around her room, gathering a blanket and the food that she packed earlier. As she quietly slipped out of their house, someone tapped her shoulder. She almost let out a loud shriek but thankfully that someone covered quickly.

 

Awoo, be quiet. I’ve been waiting for you to step out to give you the jar of salve for Yoongi’s bruises and wounds. I’ll stay here and keep an eye out.” Jungkook uncovered his little sister’s mouth after she loosened up before handing her the jar and an extra blanket. Heiran nodded gratefully to Jungkook before quickly making her way to the stables. She had been worried about his bruises and of how cold it gets at dawn.

 

She went inside the stables and found Yoongi and his mother in one of the empty ones, laying on a makeshift hay bed and sharing a single blanket. Her heart broke at the sight of their shaking bodies and immediately ran to their side. Heiran covered them with the two blankets that she brought. She kneeled by Yoongi’s side and felt his forehead, relieved that he doesn’t feel hot. Her gentle touch startled Yoongi, covering his mother protectively. His frightened eyes softened once he recognized her warm orbs. “It’s only me, Yoongi. I brought you food and medicine,” Heiran fussed.

 

“Hei- Agashi! What are you doing here? You shouldn’t be here!” Yoongi panicked, afraid that Heiran’s father might catch her in a place where she shouldn't be in.

 

“Yoongi, since when did you start calling me Agashi? I told you to just call me Heiran when it’s just us.” Heiran sassed, taken aback by the coldness in Yoongi’s tone. “And come on, sit up and let me clean up your wounds.” Yoongi reluctantly allowed his master’s daughter to assist him, a feeling of warmth spreading inside him. Usually, he wouldn’t mind touching her or calling her by her name whenever they’re alone since she treats him and his mother very kindly. She has always genuinely helped them with work. She also doesn’t seem to mind whenever they throw playful banters at each other. But after what happened today, he realized that creating a friendship with noble people like her is not going to be possible and he really should start taking the situation seriously by maintaining his distance and giving more respect.

 

Heiran stared at the spaced out boy in front of her and she took this opportunity to check his face for any cuts or bruises, knowing that she won't be able to do anything if he's staring right back at her. She opened the jar of salve and gently applied them to his face. “Yoongi, are you okay? Why are you so quiet?”

 

Yoongi flinched at the concern dripping from her words like sweet honey. “I was just thinking, A-agashi, and please don’t call me by my first name anymore.” Heiran sighed and placed the jar down before pulling him into a tight embrace. “I am sorry for not being able to stop my father. I also never got to thank you for always protecting me. You’ve always saved me from troubles and I really want you to know that I’m grateful for your presence and your friendship.”

 

“I don’t deserve anybody’s friendship, A-agashi. I am a slave. I don’t deserve any-“

 

“Yoongi!" Heiran cut him off. "Yes, you may be a slave but you deserve as much as me or anyone else to life and care and happiness and, uhm, love.”

 

Because of her words, he finally returned her warm embrace, easing himself to her comfort. “Heiran-ah, I promise that I will always protect you no matter what. If I could beat those scums again, I would do it in a heartbeat.”

 

Heiran pulled back with a teasing smile. “They have beaten you today, Yoongi. Look at you.” She laughed and took his hands in hers. “I appreciate it but don’t go too overboard. You made me worried there. And let me put this on you now because I have to go back. Orabeoni is waiting outside.”

 

He watched her apply the salve on his palm with a frown on her face. After making sure he’s well-treated, she kissed his cheeks before running out. Her heart’s beating fast as quick as the gallops of her brother’s horse.

 

Jungkook welcomed his little sister in his arms before leading her in. “Thank you for helping me, Orabeoni,” she whispered, happy to have a good-hearted and supportive brother. Jungkook patted Heiran’s head. “Have a good night’s sleep, Awoo. I’m sure Abanim will have calmed down in the morning.”

 

The next morning, Heiran woke up and found the blankets folded neatly on her desk with a stalk of cherry blossoms and a folded parchment on top. She smiled as she recognized the parchment she secretly gifted Yoongi for his birthday a few months back.

 

On it, a note is written. “Who says flower blossoms only on plants? Just a mere laughing of yours does the same to my heart”

 

*Credits to Prerna Aditi for the quotation I used*


Abanim - Father - an old form of abeonim

Juennim - Master

Agashi - a term used to address daughters of nobles

Orabeoni - a more affectionate term used by females to address their older brother (Orabeonim is the more formal term)

Hanyeo - Female Servant

Awoo - an affectionate term used to address younger siblings

 

♡♡♡ Comment, subscribe and upvote ♡♡♡