Chapter Six - Epilogue

The King and the Street-rat

NOTE

Hi lovelies,

It is really such a heartwrenching feeling to post the last chapter, to end the story so fast but also a happy feeling nonetheless. Thank you so much for reading and I hoped you all enjoyed the story!

So much love to all, 

- B

P.S. Here's the music for this last chapter:

https://youtu.be/fxdHmYC4_qo

https://youtu.be/ETjFn1-LRYg

https://youtu.be/EgFYiwYd_co

 


Two years later

 

The soft sound of fire crackling woke Heiran up early in the morning. The sun hasn’t risen yet so it was still dark but she could already hear their servant preparing her bath for she has to visit the palace today. She tried to stretch but a pair of arms tightened its hold around her waist, lulling her back to sleep.

 

A groan was heard, either from her or the owner of the arms holding her, she didn’t know for either of them didn't want to lose the body warmth yet. So, Heiran eased herself back on the mattress and turned to fully face the man sleeping beside her. She leaned close before giving the scar over his eye a kiss and closed her eyes, remembering the time when she started to truly be happy with her life with him.

 

Flashback

It was very busy on the day after the king’s assassination, inside and outside the palace.

 

Outside the palace, the news that King Suga has fallen spread like wildfire over all the people of the kingdom. Some were worried over the safety of the whole kingdom from possible attacks now that they’re in a very vulnerable situation but most were certainly relieved at the same time for the tyrannical rule of the deceased king have finally come to an end.

 

The situation inside the palace was no different. An emergency meeting was held by Queen Heiran with Jungkook, Yoongi, and the ministers. Since she was now the ruler of the land with the loss of the king, Heiran felt responsible for the people he left behind. She knew that running away with Yoongi will be impossible for now and irresponsible on her part.

 

During the meeting, Queen Heiran found out that Yoongi and Jungkook already had ties with most of the ministers. Most of them already knew of the planned assassination of King Suga. She learned that after Yoongi left years ago, he studied everything could learn while hiding, with Jungkook helping him with what he needed.

 

Jungkook and Suga revealed anomalies concerning the royal family.

 

A year into Heiran and Suga’s marriage, her parents were driven out of their ancestral house and her father was removed from his position. She never knew the reason but King Suga made it seem that it was a voluntary decision made by her parents so Heiran never thought to question it. But Jungkook heard a lot of talks in town about it so it urged him to investigate the matter. He found out that the royal family has been stealing money, not just from the people's taxes, but also from the wealth of the officials, especially to influential families that seemed a threat to the royal family. It got to the point where his parents were cut off from any connections inside the palace.

 

“That was when Jungkook reconnected with me,” Yoongi started the explanation. “I have been always on the run because of what happened between me and the king so even though Jungkook was helping me with finances, it was only through letters. We reconnected because he knew that I know a lot of people all over the kingdom. He needed my help with investigating the royal family and convincing the people to be on our side and I needed his help in planning to overthrow the king.”

 

The following days and weeks had been very very busy and everyone in the palace seemed tense. They discussed reforms and plans to rebuild the monarchy, to recover the lost funds for the kingdom, and to garner trust around neighboring kingdoms. They exposed the corruption and harassment of the royal family to the people. The members of the royal family involved in the crimes were sentenced to exile and community work for the rest of their lives. Some just chose to live far away from the palace. Most of the properties were recovered and returned to their rightful owners so Heiran’s parents were able to return to their house near the palace.

 

A few months into the reformation of the kingdom, Jungkook was crowned as the new king with his wife Jaein as the new queen and their year-old son Daehwan as the crown prince. It took several long talks between Jungkook, Jaein, Heiran, and Yoongi before they reached that decision. Heiran never wanted the position but she felt responsible for her people and didn’t want to burden her brother and her sister-in-law by passing the responsibility to them for her happiness.

 

Mama, when we were planning for King Suga's death, we have also talked about this. Your Orabeoni and I know that you never wanted this from the start and we are willing to accept the responsibility, not just for you and Yoongi but for the people.” Jaein held onto Heiran’s hands as Jungkook rubbed on his sister’s back.

 

Awoo, I have seen you suffer long enough and it's okay to be selfish and chase for your own happiness.” With her brother’s words, she finally broke down and cried in her brother’s arms, knowing that she’s going to do just that - be selfish and throw everything away for Yoongi.

 

Everyone showed their support over their new king and queen. They were amazed by King Jungkook’s knowledge in handling the affairs of the kingdom. He is always on top of things, always being able to monitor every nook and cranny. Wangseja Daehwan also seemed to charm everyone for showing his interest and knowledge on his father’s business at a very young age. Queen Jaein also charmed everyone with her kindness and her genuine interest in the king’s works. The new monarchs were adored and loved by the people.

 

Although there were minor protesters or disagreements here and there, it had already been two peaceful and prosperous years under the leadership of King Jungkook and Queen Jaein. As for Heiran and Yoongi, they have been married for two years now and living together in their small house by the river away from the hustle and bustle near the palace.

End of Flashback

 

Heiran woke up a second time to kisses peppering her face. She moaned and tried to turn around, “Yoongi~ it’s too early.”

 

“Too early, Buin? You were the one awake earlier then fell asleep on me after waking me up with kisses,” Yoongi groaned as he plants more kisses on her face. Heiran’s eyes widen at the realization upon remembering her important agenda today. “I am going to be late, Nanggun!” Yoongi hovered over Heiran, trapping her underneath him.

 

“I. Have. To. Visit. Jaein. Mama. Today! Nanggun!” Heiran breathlessly protested as Yoongi’s kisses grew dangerously hot and passionate. Giving a teasing smirk, he leaned down and captured her lips, not failing to make the butterflies in her stomach flutter.

 

Yoongi woke up an hour later to his frantic wife who’s trying to dress up as quickly as she can to be able to get to the palace as early as possible. Not really understanding the rush, he shook his head and tried to steady her as she wobbles to wear her undergarment. “Buin, you should have woken me up to help you. And what’s the rush? I’m sure Jaein Mama will understand if you get a little bit late. It will only be a short journey going to the palace.” He pulled the sulking Heiran into his folded legs and tied up the strings of her hanbok.

 

“Next time I have to go to the palace, I’m sleeping in my study,” Heiran pouted but she let Yoongi clip the cherry blossom pin, the one he gifted her on their wedding night, on her hair, loving the simple things he does for her.

 

“You know that I’ll just sneak in wherever you hide and sleep beside you.” He gave her a bright smile, loving how her nose crinkle up when he teases her. “Go on before I lose control and lock you with me in the quarters all week long.”

 

Heiran gave Yoongi several more kisses before he released her from his hold. “I promise I’ll get back before you know it, Nanggun.” She stood up and ran to the palace guards, who are probably waiting for her for hours now. She gave them an apologetic smile as they bow and assist her into her palanquin.

 

Mama! Jaein Mama!” Heiran announced brightly, almost forgetting to give the queen a bow as she excitedly made her way inside her quarters. She saw her sister-in-law looking as regal and glowing as ever with her smiling gentle face. Queen Jaein welcomed the bubbly Heiran in her arms and gave her a tight hug, not caring the scolding she will most-likely receive later from her court lady. Jaein’s court lady always scolds her for being too “friendly” because it makes her look too “unladylike”. She’s always reminded to be more reserved and gentle to other people, which she wasn’t. So no matter how many times she gets scolded by her court lady, she never bends to her will. And besides, she has grown so close to Jungkook’s little sister that she couldn't help but be more of herself and less like a queen whenever Heiran visits her. Heiran taught her the duties and expected etiquette of a queen and she was more gentle and forgiving than her court lady whenever she makes mistakes.

 

“Did you get it?” Queen Jaein asked, which Heiran responded with a very excited “yes”. She mirrored the wide grin on the Heiran’s face before pulling her into another hug. “Congratulations, Awoo! Come on, let’s head to the gardens now. I’m sure Daehyun is already impatiently waiting for his favorite Heiran Gomo.” Heiran gave out a chuckle, remembering how Daehyun clings to her or Yoongi like a baby koala whenever they visit the palace.

 

Heiran waited for Queen Jaein to stand up and walk ahead before following her. Jaein beckoned for her to walk beside her, “Walk with me. I will never get used to these protocols.” Heiran meekly nodded and ignored the frown forming on Jaein’s strict court lady.

 

As they were nearing the gardens, they can already hear Daehyun’s laughter and his tutor, Scholar Jimin, telling the prince to slow down. Sweat dripped down their faces as they play tag by the pond.

 

Seja-jeoha~” Heiran called for her young nephew, smiling as Daehyun ran towards her. She squatted and enveloped him in a tight hug. “How is my favorite prince?”

 

“I always miss you and Yoongi Gomoboo. Can’t you just stay here in the palace with us? So we can always play and eat together.” Daehyun whined and buried his face on her shoulder, unintentionally wiping his sweat over his aunt’s dress. Heiran patted the crown prince’s head before standing up and properly greeting Jimin. “Jimin Seonbi, why don’t you join us for afternoon tea?”

 

Jimin bowed respectfully, “I have to decline today, Daebi-mama. I have an assignment to finish for Jeonha by tomorrow so I must leave first.” He turned to the little prince. “Seja-jeoha, I will see you again tomorrow. Please do your readings well.”

 

“Yes, Sabeonim.” Daehyun nodded before running to the figures he saw walking towards them. “Abamama!”

 

Jungkook smiled upon seeing his little prince and scooped him in his arms. Daehyun also greeted his father’s closest friend and advisor, Seokjin, who’s busy discussing details on the construction of the new medical facility on the far east side of the kingdom.

 

“Seokjin Samchon,” Daehyun whined for not receiving much attention from his second favorite uncle next to Yoongi.

 

“My apologies, Seja-jeoha,” Seokjin faced Daehyun with a bright smile and continued to complain to the little prince how his father gives Seokjin Samchon too much work that he doesn’t even have time to play with him anymore. “Abamama, don’t let Samchon work today. Tell him he can eat sweets with us.”

 

Once they’ve reached the ladies with Jimin, Seokjin greeted them respectfully before declining the offer of the afternoon tea. Jimin and Seokjin bid their farewell and Daehyun followed behind, wanting to accompany his uncles on their way out.

 

Orabeoni!” Jungkook happily welcomed his sister in his arms as she greeted him.

 

“How was your-“ Before he even finished his question, he already knew the answer as Heiran displayed such a wide bright smile. “Congratulations, Awoo! I’m really really happy for you and Yoongi. Don’t you really just want to stay here in the palace with us so that there will be more people at your beck and call or that you won’t have to travel if you want to come here or…” Jungkook blabbered on some reasons why she and Yoongi should just stay in the palace but her gaze was fixed on the particular tree in the garden and her thoughts wandered back to Suga. She never really had any good memories here with the late king.

 

Noticing Heiran’s silence, Jungkook looked at his wife for help and Jaein went to the siblings closer. “Heiran-ah, I’m really sorry you had to go through that. But I hope you don't let yourself get stuck in the past. I know he might have done a lot of things but he’s gone now and he won’t hurt you anymore. We won’t let that happen again,” Jaein rubbed Heiran’s back as she tried to comfort her.

 

“Besides, Yoongi will always be by your side and us too,” Jungkook added making Heiran smile at her brother and her sister-in-law. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be sentimental. I just don’t think I’m still ready to come back and live here again perma-“ Heiran was stopped by her nephew joining their group hug. She didn’t even notice the little prince arriving back in the garden.

 

AbamamaEomamamaGomo, are we not going to eat yet?” Daehyun pouted and pulled his aunt to the gazebo. He has been back for a few minutes already but his parents and aunt were still deep in conversation that his patience over waiting to eat all those sweets has deflated so much, he knew he had to intervene.

 

As they sat and ate sweets and fruits under the gazebo, Daehyun and Jungkook animatedly told Heiran the first few sword-handling lessons of the crown prince. Daehyun even used a skewer to demonstrate how to properly hold a sword. Jaein could only rub her temples for she’s still against her son learning weapons at such a very young age but she couldn’t win an argument with her husband especially when Jungkook knows too well how much she falls for his charms.

 

After their afternoon tea, Heiran bid her goodbye with a promise of daily letters and weekly visits and a wet kiss on her cheeks from her nephew. As the guards open up her palanquin, she was surprised at the number of snacks, herbs, and fruits inside. She shook her head, knowing it was on Jungkook’s orders.

 

Jungkook confessed to her a long time ago that he already knew why she likes to help in the kitchen all the time was because of Yoongi and sweet rice cakes. So now every time she visits the palace, she comes home in a palanquin full of different sweets. She doesn't even know how she fits in her palanquin sometimes.

 

Daebi-mama, we are here.”

 

Heiran’s train of thought was interrupted by the announcement of their arrival back home. She broke out in a wide smile and hurriedly made her way out, completely forgetting her gifts behind and only caring about the parchment in her hands. She wanted to run into her husband’s arms and share him the good news.

 

Yoongi was hunched over his desk, fiercely filling out his journal with poems and verses. Writing is something that he is very passionate about and he wanted to be able to publish a book someday.

 

Nanggun,” Heiran called out softly from the door of his study and Yoongi sat up to look at her properly. She sat across his desk and slipped the parchment on top of his journal.

 

“Heiran-ah, how was your day at the palace? And what’s this?” He organized his desk before picking up the sealed parchment from his wife. In it, he read several herbal tea recipes for women bearing a child and reminders on what to do and what not to do, also some auspicious dates for a shaman blessing. “Are you—“ He looked up and saw Heiran’s bobbing head.

 

“I’m going to be a father!” Yoongi exclaimed excitedly before running over to where Heiran was sitting, almost knocking her down as he kissed her senselessly. She let out a squeal as he pulled her into his lap, kissing her with such fervor that it sent tingles all over her body.

 

He broke away, trying to let them catch their breaths, his eyes overflowing with happiness. “Is this why you were making so much fuss into going to the palace this morning?”

 

She blushed upon remembering their morning lovemaking, which made her late with her meeting with the doctor. “Mhm, after writing to the royal doctor about the symptoms I was feeling, he told me that today is the soonest most auspicious day for a check-up. The next one would be a month away. I wanted to come early so I could return with the good news early.”

 

Heiran blushed in a deeper shade of red as she noticed Yoongi’s loving gaze boring into her soul. He her cheek with one hand and her waist with the other. “Thank you, Heiran-ah, for giving me so much than what a slave deserves. I love you, my queen, and you too, our little one.” He rubbed her clothed stomach, making her smile more, if that’s still even possible from the way her lips are already curled up in a wide smile.

 

“And you deserve so so much more.” Heiran scooted closer, nuzzling her face on the crook of his neck and breathing him in. “I love you too, Yoongi.”

 


Mama - Your Highness - a term used to address members of the royal family, commonly for the Queen Dowager, Queen, Princes, Princesses, Consorts, Concubines

Orabeoni - a more affectionate term used by females to address their 

Awoo - an affectionate term used to address younger siblings

Wangseja - Crown Prince

Buin - Wife - an intimate term used by husbands to address their wife

Nanggun - Husband - an intimate term used by wives to address their husband

Seja-jeoha - Royal Highness Crown Prince - Seja means Crown Prince while Jeoha is the style used to address the Crown Prince

Gomo - Auntie - sister of one's father

Gomoboo - Uncle - the husband of the sister of one's father

Seonbi - Scholar

Jeonha - Your Majesty - a term used to address the King

Daebi-mama - a term used to address the consort of the late king

Sabeonim - Master/Teacher

Abamama - Royal Father - an intimate term used by a royal child to address his/her father

Eomamama - Royal Mother - an intimate term used by a royal child to address his/her mother

Samchon - Uncle - an unmarried brother of one's father or a close male family friend

 

♡♡♡ Comment, subscribe and upvote ♡♡♡


P.P.S. Shoutout to my friend who I wanted to surprise by adding Queen Jaein in the story!

P.P.P.S. (Is there a third PS? LOL) Also, shoutout to Scarlet_Sky! Your comments give me life! Thank you <3

P.P.P.P.S. (Last one, I promise!) I can't believe I almost forgot to promote Agust D's Daechwita and D-2 mixtape! Let's keep streaming and supporting this talented man!!