Chapter One - Present

The King and the Street-rat

NOTE

Hello to my lovely readers,

Here's the first chapter! I listened to the soundtrack of "Moon Embracing The Sun" while writing this and it added so much more mood into the story. I'm suggesting two music scores to listen to while reading the first chapter.

https://youtu.be/ZNiJpmXF_Do

https://youtu.be/mwdDQp0cAa8

I hope you all like it ♡♡♡

 


Wanting to get as much time as possible before her husband wakes up, Heiran is busy in her quarters, quickly preparing for a morning stroll outside the palace. Wearing her disguise and a cover over her head, she briskly headed to the palace exit with a fuming court lady Jangmi in tow. Court Lady Jangmi is angry that her queen managed to wake up earlier than her again. “Mama, please slow down. We will need a palace guard before you go out. And does Jeonha know that you are going out today? Mama!”

 

Heiran briefly stopped to let her court lady catch up to her. “Court Lady Jang, I just want to go out for a quiet stroll along the market, please. We don’t need to have palace guards and Suga Jeonha doesn’t need to know because it will just be quick and quiet. It’s just going to be like something we have already done countless times before.” She rolled her eyes annoyingly (not very queen-like at that) and continued to walk out, not bothering to wait for her court lady to catch up to her. Heiran maneuvered around the market streets and alleyways, having only two objectives in mind: go to the parchment shop and sneak away from her angry court lady. As she turned right to enter a narrow alleyway, Heiran panicked when someone covered to muffle her screams but stopping when she felt that familiar warmth and comfort radiating from the person’s body pressed against hers.

 

“Heiran-ah, it’s me.” A low soothing voice tickled her ear and she eased herself into the chest of the person holding her captive. They stayed in that position until a panicked Court Lady Jangmi frantically ran past the alleyway where they’re hiding, looking for her troublesome queen.

 

“Let’s go, Mama.” This mysterious person unwound his arms around Heiran and held her hand as if not caring for the consequences of touching the queen and calling her by her name. He quickly led her around the back alleys of the market towards a moldy old door. 

 

Heiran looked around the small tidy room in awe. Opposite the door she just went in, there’s a small window overlooking the greenhouse and a door leading to it. On her right, there is a small cabinet, a tall shelf with books on different subjects, and a desk with parchment filled with beautiful handwriting. While on her left is a clump of a neatly folded mattress and another door. “Yoongi, this looks cozy. When did you move?” She smiled and turned around to find Yoongi observing her while she observed his room.

 

“Taehyung Ahjussi is nice enough to lend me the backroom of his greenhouse as long as I help him tidy it up when he gets new plants.” He rested his hands around her waist and pulled her close to him again. “I moved a few months ago after we almost got caught by your palace guards. I couldn’t afford to get Namjoon Ahjussi involved.”

 

Heiran sighed at what happened last time they met. She got extremely worried about his safety. “I wrote to you to join Orabeoni on his trips and studies out of town. I couldn’t afford to get anyone, especially you, to get hurt.”

 

“Stop worrying about me and worry about you first. Jungkook’s trips are now mostly visits to his lover in the neighboring town so I don’t want to go with him. And besides, I don’t want to miss any opportunity to meet you.” He kissed her forehead and felt Heiran's arms wrapping around his neck to get even more closer to him.

 

“I've missed you so much, Yoongi. I want to run away from him so bad, to run away with you but I can’t leave my people behind and I know he will find us.” She whined, resting her head on his shoulders, kissing his exposed neck and inhaling his scent that she missed so much.

 

Yoongi pulled back a bit to stare into Heiran’s eyes and to cradle her cheek in his rough hand. “I missed you too.” He leaned down to capture her lips in his, pouring out his desperation and longing into the kiss. Heiran tiptoed to kiss him deeply, pouring the same amount of love in their kiss.

 

“Heiran-ah, can I?” He breathlessly whispered into her lips in between kisses, tugging on the string of her elegant hanbok. He felt her nod in permission and soon, clothes were discarded on the floor. 

 

Heiran laid all bare on his mattress with Yoongi hovering on top of her. A frown appeared on his face as he noted the fresh bruises on her body and some old ones too. Heiran shivered as Yoongi's fingers ran along her soft yet battered skin. Yoongi dipped his head, kissing her wounds and bruises and whispering sweet nothings all over her body. He wanted to cover the marks on her body with his. Their demonstrations and declarations of love burn like the summer heat in the midst of the cold winter morning.

 

“Are you feeling better now?” Heiran ran her fingers on Yoongi’s hair, observing his handsome serene face. She planted a kiss on his closed scarred eye.

 

Yoongi shook his head and complained, “You don’t deserve any of these bruises and wounds on you, Heiran.” He opened his eyes to meet hers. “I am still frustrated that I can’t get you away from that life, that I can’t do anything to protect you. I promised you that I will protect you from anything, even from him. I don’t care if he’s the king. I will end his life, Heiran. Just a little bit longer, okay?” Yoongi kissed her forehead and her nose before burying his face on her hair.

 

“Just knowing that you have my back gives me the strength to face him whenever he lashes out his anger on me. You give me hope that we may even have a future together.” She laced their fingers together and snuggled into him, feeling safe in the little sanctuary at the back of the greenhouse with him.

 


Mama - Your Highness - a term used to address members of the royal family, commonly for the Queen Dowager, Queen, Princes, Princesses, Consorts, Concubines

Jeonha - Your Majesty - a term used to address the King

Ahjussi - a term used to address a middle-aged man

Orabeoni - a more affectionate term used by females to address their older brother (Orabeonim is the more formal term)

 

♡♡♡ Comment, subscribe and upvote ♡♡♡