Chapter Four (Part I) - Past

The King and the Street-rat

NOTE

Hi lovelies,

How is everyone doing? Here I am back with Chapter 4! Some more music recommendation for this chapter:

https://youtu.be/EgFYiwYd_co

https://youtu.be/JFTYB_ghSt0

Enjoy!

 


3 years ago

 

Heiran’s family is very influential and powerful. They had inherited so much wealth from both sides of their ancestors. They own lands and properties in and out of town and they always hold a high position in the monarchy. They’re even considered next in line to the throne. So, it is just natural that a member of their family is to be betrothed to someone from the royal family.

 

One evening, Heiran’s father came home carrying boxes of new hanbok dresses for the family. There's even a set for Yoongi. “Abanim, what is this for? Why do we need new clothes?” Jungkook walked behind him with Yoongi in tow. Each of them carrying boxes inside the house. Heiran held the door for the men and followed behind. “A-“ Heiran was cut off by her father, “I’ll explain over dinner, Heiran-ah. For now, I want to take a bath first. Yoongi, have you prepared my bath?”

 

“Yes, Juennim,” Yoongi answered while organizing the boxes by the dining area. “I will also start preparing the dinner table.”

 

“Yes, thank you.” Heiran’s father has been a lot kinder to the servants when Yoongi’s mother died.

 

A few years back, Yoongi’s mother fell sick one day and Yoongi asked their master if she can have a day or two of rest. Yoongi even offered to double his work in place of her mother. But ever the cold and workaholic man, Bonhwa did not allow it. The following morning, Yoongi woke up to find his mother cold and lifeless beside him. He put up a strong facade in front of the family he is serving and requested that his mother be properly buried. Heiran wept at the heartbreaking news while Jungkook held his sister’s hand comfortingly. He was about to volunteer to help and accompany Yoongi when their father stood up and gave Yoongi an embrace. “I-I am deeply sorry for your loss, Yoongi. We can arrange someone to help you bury your mother and to perform a ceremony for her,” Bonhwa whispered, patting the boy’s back. Guilt ate him up knowing that it was his fault for how harshly he treated Yoongi, his mother, and the other servants. Heiran's and his wife’s cries contributed to the remorse he felt. After that, although he’s still cold and harsh at times, he became more considerate of his servant’s well-being.

 

 “I’ll help Yoongi, Abanim,” Heiran called out to her father's retreating figure. She did not wait for her father’s reply and skipped over to the kitchen where Yoongi and their cook were finishing up the food.

 

“Can I help with something?” Heiran peeked inside the kitchen and the cook immediately gave her a bow. “Agashi! We’re almost done but we might need help in tasting these songpyeon.” The cook opened a basket of freshly made songpyeon and he added, "And I need help stopping this rascal from finishing them up." The cook playfully hit the top of Yoongi's head with the soup ladle.

 

Heiran laughed at Yoongi, who's busy rubbing his head and complaining. She took two rice cakes and plopped a piece into , offering the other for Yoongi to eat. Yoongi ate the songpyeon from her and s his hand dangerously around her waist.

 

Heiran asked the reason for all of the special food today as she shyly removed Yoongi’s hand so she could hold his hand in hers instead. She then used her free hand to peek into the baskets and bowls containing their dinner tonight.

 

The cook smiled at the sweet interaction of the two, noticing how they were so deep in love with each other. He observed that Heiran and Yoongi are inseparable, always finding a way to spend time together without being too suspicious. “I don’t know, Agashi, but I have been ordered by Manim to cook a feast tonight.”

 

Awoo!” Heiran and Yoongi quickly moved away from each other when they heard Jungkook calling for her. “O-orabeoni, what do you need? I’m in the kitchen.”

 

Jungkook shuffled towards the kitchen and saw a flushed-faced Heiran, a smug-faced Yoongi, and their amused cook. “What’s going on?” Jungkook raised his eyebrow, looking at Heiran and Yoongi back and forth. He’s not stupid to miss the not-so-subtle glances and skin-brushing that the two share whenever they're in the same room, or the way their faces brighten up when their gazes meet, or the other not-so-secretive actions that they do for each other. It does not take much to figure out that the two feel something for each other but he hasn’t had the chance to confront them and confirm his suspicions.

 

Yoongi and the cook bowed at Jungkook and with a teasing smirk directed at Heiran, Yoongi answered him, “I caught Hei- Agashi bribing Ahjussi to give her more songpyeon.”

 

“Yah- I did not!” Heiran frowned and pouted, looking at her big brother. “Orabeoni, don’t listen to Yoongi. I just wanted to help set up dinner. I did not take any songpyeon from ahjussi.” She raised her hands defensively, showing traces of green tea powder on her hands from the songpyeon.

 

Jungkook laughed at the obvious evidence and beckoned his sister to him. “Okay, Awoo, I believe you. But I’ll come and take you away before you eat all of our songpyeon.” Heiran frowned at her brother, completely oblivious of the color of her hands. “Come on, Eomanim wants you to go to her quarters.”

 

The table was filled with special dishes that the family only usually eat during birthdays or events. “I guess the family is wondering what’s inside those boxes and what’s with the celebration. Well, I do have good news from the royal family.” Heiran’s father started and everyone’s interest piqued, even Yoongi who’s eavesdropping from the kitchen. Bonhwa continued, “Well, Jungkook is given a position in the Ministry of Justice! And our Heiran will be betrothed to Wangseja Suga!” Jungkook choked at his father’s sudden announcement and Heiran visibly stiffened.

 

Abanim! What are you talking about?” Jungkook raised his voice at his father, who just continued talking.

 

“Our Heiran will be betrothed to Wangseja Suga. She’ll be a part of the royal family. We’re going to meet them in five days' time. This is why I purchased new clothes for the family! I even got one for Yoongi so he can help serve us there.”

 

Abanim!” Jungkook kept trying to stop his father because he can feel his sister shaking beside him.

 

“I-I apologize but I can’t eat anymore!” Heiran stood up and ran out.

 

“Abanim! Why did you agree to this without even asking Heiran?!” Jungkook shouted at his father angrily.

 

“Jungkook! Is that a way to address your father?” His mother was shocked at her children’s behavior. “What are you getting angry for and where is Heiran?! Yoongi!” She called for Yoongi, who immediately showed up. His eyes downcast, not sure what to feel about the news he just heard. “Please find Heiran and get her back to the house. We still have things to discuss.”

 

Yoongi bowed at his mistress and went out. He already knew where to find Heiran. She always goes to his quarters every time she wanted to talk to someone and he liked being there for her all the time.

 

“I-I’m sorry for getting inside your quarters without your permission,” Heiran whispered weakly as Yoongi stood up in front of her crouched figure. He squatted down and gently removed her hands covering her weeping face. He cupped her cheeks and wiped off your tears. “Don’t cry. We can do something about this.” Heiran cried harder at his hopeless reassurance and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. “H-how can we do that, Yoongi? We’re going to be against the prince and my family.”

 

Yoongi pulled back to gaze into her eyes, surprisingly giving her so much comfort from that simple action. “I promise I will do something. If not now, then tomorrow. If not tomorrow, then someday. But I promise I’ll get you back because you’re mine, Heiran.”

 

“I know, Yoongi. I already promised myself to you. I’m yours forever. Just don’t do something that can get you hurt, please. I don’t want you to get hurt for me.”

 

He leaned down and captured her lips in a short sweet kiss. “You don’t have to worry about that. If I need to travel to the moon to have you, I will. For now, let’s go back to your house. They are worried about you.”

 

She nodded but held onto him a little bit more longer. “C-can you come and accompany me to sleep later?” Yoongi nodded and pulled her up. They silently trudged their way back to the house, fingers brushing and itching to hold each other.

 

The pair hid inside the kitchen when they heard Jungkook having a heated argument with her parents. She learned that giving Jungkook the position is part of the deal. In exchange for her betrothal to the Crown Prince, Jungkook will be given a high position in the monarchy and will eventually be given the same position as her father in the future. If they will not accept, her father will be removed from the position and their family might get banished from the kingdom.

 

Nobody seemed to be backing down from the argument, even with the pleading cries of their mother, so with a supportive hand squeeze from Yoongi, Heiran emerged from the kitchen. “Please stop this, AbanimOrabeoni.”

 

She made her way to her brother and held his arm. “I- I don’t like any of this, AbanimEomanim. I understand what’s at stake but I'm hurt that you never even let me know beforehand and that you never considered my feelings.”

 

“Heiran dear, are you harboring feelings for someone?” Heiran felt herself flush, taken aback by her mother's question. She glanced at the dimly-lit kitchen - to which Jungkook followed her gaze and he understood why - then bowed at her parents.

 

“Good night EomanimAbanimOrabeoni. I need some time alone.” She turned her back on their intriguing eyes and made her way to her room. Jungkook followed after bidding his parents a good night to avoid any more questions.

 

Heiran locked her room and cried herself to sleep. When she was about to drift to dreamland, she felt warm arms encircle her waist and soft plump lips plant kisses on her face.

 

“I apologize for waking you up, Heiran-ah,” Yoongi whispered over her lips. She shook her head and scooted closer to Yoongi, feeling even more sleepy with Yoongi caressing her back and peppering feathery kisses on her face. As Yoongi watched her sleep, he thought of the time he felt something for his master’s daughter. He didn’t know when he fell in love with her. It might be that night she treated his wounds for being wrongfully accused. Or it might even be the time he was introduced to his master’s family. He reminisced of their memories together and thought of ways to stop her engagement from begging to her father, or taking her far away to a different town or country, or probably even assassinating the prince.

 


Abanim - Father - an old form of abeonim

Juennim - Master

Agashi - a term used to address daughters of nobles

Manim - a term used by servants to address the wife of their servants

Awoo - an affectionate term used to address younger siblings

Orabeoni - a more affectionate term used by females to address their older brother (Orabeonim is the more formal term)

Songpyeon - half-moon-shaped rice cakes, usually eaten during the Korean autumn festival (Chuseok) - shown above as the chapter image :)

Eomanim - Mother - an old form of eomeonim

Wangseja - Crown Prince

 

♡♡♡ Comment, subscribe and upvote ♡♡♡