The Beginning

Forgotten Melody

 ~Naoki POV~
 
“Okay! 5 minute break!”
 I cursed the burning sun above and pulled the heavy glove off my hand. If our team didn’t start getting repeated home runs we would be stuffed. I took long strides over to a huge oak tree and sat down at the trunk, scratching my head. As I closed my eyes, the loud buzzing of the cicadas filled my ears. Suddenly, I heard the faint sound of…music? A sweet slow melody rang through the air playing peacefully at first then rising to a crescendo. It was sweet and sad at the same time and was coming from the room behind me. I stood up, brushed myself off and headed towards the music room.
 
As I got closer the melody became louder and clearer. Finally, I saw a sign that read ‘music’ and slowed to a stop. Carefully, I peeped through the window and saw a girl with soft, wavy pigtails and a full fringe that hid her dark brown eyes. She had thin, delicate fingers that danced up and down the keys in a smooth motion before slowing to a stop. My jaw suddenly dropped with amazement and I put a big smile on my face before turning the door handle.
 
~Miu POV~
 
I jolted up as I heard the door creak open behind me. My stomach twisted as I turned around slowly to see a tall guy with messy brown hair and kind, dark eyes. His forehead was drenched with sweat and he was wearing a dirt-covered baseball uniform. I suddenly felt my face flush, so I turned around and started gathering my music sheets.
 “Hey!” I heard the guy call out behind me, making me freeze, “I heard you playing, and you’re great!”
 Great? No-one had ever told me I was great
“Thank you…” I mumbled not looking directly at his face.
“So what’s your name?” he asked flashing me a bright smile and I felt my heart skip a beat.
“I’m Nama-I mean Naka-Nakam-mura M-Miu” I stammered. The guy chuckled, the corner of his lip curling upwards.
“Naka-Nakamura?” he mused before another shining smile crossed his face making my heart beat faster. “That’s a strange name.” I blushed with embarrassment and he frowned.
 “I-I was only joking.” He apologized. “I’m Hisakawa Naoki. Didn’t mean to disturb you. Sorry about that…”
 “No, it’s fine…” I muttered, holding my music sheets closer to me. “I’ll just be going now, so…”
 Suddenly, my foot caught against the piano bench’s leg and I tripped, spilling papers across the floor.
 “O-oh no…!” I exclaimed, mortified as I began scrambling to pick them back up.
 “Here, let me help.” Naoki offered, bending down to retrieve the music sheets with me. A silence spread between us with only the chirping of cicadas in the background. We both reached for the last sheet when our fingers brushed against each other. I looked at Naoki and was suddenly caught in a trance in those kind, dark eyes of his.
 “Uh…h-here…” He said, handing me the sheet. I blushed then took it from him, directing my eyes somewhere else. We both stood up, Naoki brushing himself off.
“Naoki, where the heck are you?!” We heard someone cry from outside.
 “The game!” He exclaimed in realization. “Say, I’ve got to go! It was nice meeting you, Miu!” He flashed me another heart-stopping smile before running out of the music room. And by then, I knew I was completely and hopelessly in love with Hisakawa Naoki.