11111

Summer of Some Regret

The three boys got off of the M train at Church Street station and began to walk down to Dolores Park, the big grassy park in the sunniest and coolest district in San Francisco: the Mission.

“So who are these middle school friends of yours?” Chenle asked as Mark nervously fidgeted with his jacket.

“Their names are Jaemin and Jeno. They dated all through middle school. I don’t know if they’re still together, but they still hang out. They’re crazy though; in middle school we’d paint our nails then shut all the windows and doors to get high off of the fumes.”

“That.... is actually crazy,” Mark responded.

“Where do they go to school?” Chenle asked.

“Gateway.”

“The charter school?” Mark asked.

“Yeah, the school for artsy kids who couldn’t get into the actual art school. Oh yeah, Jaemin and Jeno said they'd bring a few more of their friends as well,” Renjun explained.

They finally reached the fairly crowded park, full of tourists eating ice cream, kids screaming, and groups of teens smoking weed and buying it from the old men in the hidden corners. The boys scanned around with their eyes until Renjun pointed off into the distance.

“I think that’s them,” he spoke, and the boys trudged up the hill until they reached a group of four fashionably dressed boys.

“Oh my god Renjun! You look so hot!” One of them spoke, jumping up excitedly and wrapping Renjun in a tight hug. The new boys looked up at this with blank faces. He pulled away quickly and looked over his old friend. “The glow up is real.”

“Thanks Jaemin,” Renjun responded, chuckling awkwardly, thinking about how he hadn’t changed a bit.

“Stop flirting babe,” another boy called from a spot on the grass, gripping the neck of a half drunk wine glass.

“Jeno, come on, it’s Renjun! Remember when we all made out in eighth grade?”

“How could I forget, love? Now that was hot,” the boy apparently named Jeno responded.

“How could you.... all make out at once?” Mark interjected, interrupting the little reunion.

“Oh honey, you had to be there,” the one named Jaemin spoke.

“Oh yeah! These are my friends, Chenle and Mark,” Renjun introduced. Chenle waved enthusiastically, and Mark gave them a smile that ended up turning into a grimace.

“Well, I’m Jaemin,” he introduced. He was wearing light wash jeans, a Britney Spears t-shirt, visible hickeys, and well worn checkered vans. “That’s my boyfriend, Jeno,” Jaemin added. Jeno had on a plain t-shirt and a pair of jeans with the biggest pant legs Mark had ever seen. He had at least three chains attached to these pants and his eyes glued to Jaemin’s frame. “This is our friend Donghyuck,” Jaemin said, gesturing to a boy with a pretty tan, doc martens, and a patched and pinned up denim jacket.

“Yo,” Donghyuck spoke, staring right at Mark. Mark quickly turned his head away. Donghyuck was really handsome, and Mark didn’t want him to see him blush.

“And that’s Jisung,” Jaemin spoke. He pointed to a boy wearing a crop top and a choker, a sketchbook and pen in one hand and a juul in the other. Renjun sat down in front of Jeno, looking up at where Jaemin was pointing.

“You were in my chem class!” Chenle spoke. Jisung looked up at Chenle, and the lightbulb of recognition lit up his eyes.

“Oh yeah,” Jisung responded in a soft voice. “I didn’t go that much though,” he added and chuckled.

“Yeah, one time I saw you juuling in the gender neutral bathroom during class,” Chenle said with a giggle.

“It gets pretty lit in there,” Jisung answered with a knowing smile. Chenle sat down next to Jisung, leaning back in the grass. Quickly they started up a conversation, the two of them talking about the gossip in their grade. Renjun was already sitting near Jaemin and Jeno, so Mark sat down next to him to pretend he was involved in the conversation.

“Where did you get the alcohol?” Renjun asked as Jaemin took a swig from the wine bottle Jeno had been holding earlier.

“Stole it,” Jeno simply explained. Mark grew wide eyed but Renjun seemed unfazed.

“You’ve worked your way up from the candy bars you used to steal in eighth grade,” Renjun commented.

“He’s gotten really good at it,” Jaemin said. “One time he made out of Target with a six pack of beer and three t-shirts.”

“ capitalism,” Jeno mumbled.

Just as Mark was going to make an excuse to hide out in the bathroom, he received a tap on the shoulder.

“Sit with me,” Donghyuck said softly, and Mark was grateful for the escape from the conversation he wasn’t even a part of.

But now, since everyone else was wrapped up in their own conversations, Mark was basically alone with Donghyuck. He wasn’t the best at starting conversations, let alone keeping them going, plus Donghyuck was pretty intimidating.

“What school do you go to?” Donghyuck asked, and Mark was relieved.

“Lowell. But I just graduated in May.”

“Oh , we’re in the same grade. I went to SOTA.”

“What for?”

“Musical theatre.”

“You’re so in’ gay, Donghyuck,” Jaemin shouted, interrupting their conversation. “Literally going to the art school for musical theatre.” Donghyuck just shrugged off the light teasing, and Mark stared down at the grass. Donghyuck actually liked guys, and even though Mark knew he was way out of Donghyuck’s league, at least he could pretend he had a chance.

As he was staring at the grass he noticed Donghyuck’s hands. His fingers were bumpy with callouses, probably from playing guitar (just like Mark’s own), and his fingers had little drawings on them in between the first and second knuckle.

“Did you draw on your hand?” Mark asked.

Donghyuck laughed. “No, those are stick and pokes.”

“Tattoos?” Mark asked after a long pause.

“Mhmm.”

“How old are you?”

“Seventeen,” Donghyuck responded.

“How’d you get those?” Mark asked with surprise.

“My friends did them for me. Jisung did most of them, actually. He’s a great artist.” Donghyuck responded. Jisung looked over and gave them a little salute before turning back to Chenle.

Mark was strangely fascinated by the tattoos. He couldn’t stop staring at them, but maybe that was because Donghyuck had nice hands.

“What do they mean?” Mark asked, sort of shyly, but Donghyuck smiled and held out his hands.

He first pointed out his thumbs. “I have the woman symbol on my right thumb, and the man symbol on my left. Since I’m bi. The rest of them don’t really have meaning; I just thought they looked cool.” He took away his right hand and stuck out his left.

“On this hand I’ve got a flower, the Gemini symbol, a heart, and a smiley face. The other hand is all space stuff. Saturn, the sun, a crescent moon, a star.” Donghyuck showed Mark both of his hands, Mark staring down at them, before Donghyuck took both of Mark’s hands in his.

“I think they’d look good on you too. You have nice hands,” Donghyuck spoke, looking up into Mark’s eyes. Mark and Donghyuck quickly locked eyes before looking back down at the ground, his cheeks flaming. Donghyuck’s gaze was so intense and Mark wasn’t used to this much human contact.

“What’s your star sign?” Donghyuck asked in a soft tone.

“Stop flirting, Hyuck,” Jeno spoke with an eye roll. Mark looked at Jeno with surprise. Had Donghyuck been flirting with him?

“Why not?” Donghyuck whined back, and Mark looked surprised. He’d never gotten this kind of attention before. Mark may have had a lot of friends in high school, but he wasn’t exactly popular with the girls. Not that it mattered much, Mark was sure he was gay, but guys didn’t flirt with him either. He was perpetually single, and hadn’t even been kissed since his freshman year of high school.

“Because he’s pure and nice,” Jeno responded, Jaemin hugging him tightly until the couple toppled over in the grass.

“I’m nice. Maybe not pure, but nice. Anyways, if I have to stop flirting, then you and Jaemin have to stop with the PDA. We’re in public, you know,” Donghyuck said. Jeno and Jaemin gave Donghyuck a look, sitting up together and untangling their limbs. Donghyuck turned back to Mark with a sigh.

“Anyways.... your star sign,” Donghyuck spoke, his hand still on Mark’s. Mark was too overwhelmed by the fact that Donghyuck was even flirting with him to move his hand away.

“Oh! I’m a Leo,” Mark said with a shy chuckle.

Donghyuck hummed. “Huh. I wouldn’t have pegged you for a Leo. But I guess I don’t know you well enough to say yet. And anyways, what really counts are the moon and rising signs.” Donghyuck finally moved his hand away, digging in his backpack for something. He pulled out a metal device that sorta looked like a vape.

“Anyways, Leos are compatible with Geminis. And that’s what’s important to me,” he added, pressing a button on the device and putting his mouth around it. After a slight pause, he breathed out a light, mostly scentless smoke.

“Is that a vape?” Mark asked, trying to ignore Donghyuck’s statement about their compatibility.

“No ing way,” Donghyuck responded. “It’s my dab pen.” Mark gave him a confused look. “Weed,” Donghyuck explained further.

“O-oh,” Mark stammered.

“Want some?”

“I’ve never tried... but okay,” Mark said softly. Honestly, he was curious. And these people seemed nice; he was sure they wouldn’t take advantage of him.

“You totally don’t have to. I don’t wanna pressure you or anything,” Donghyuck responded.

“No, I wanna try,” Mark said after a beat. He was grateful Donghyuck gave him an out, but his curiosity was getting stronger.

“Alright,” Donghyuck spoke, passing it to him. “Put this part in your mouth. Press the button and in at the same time.” Mark nodded and did as Donghyuck said, coughing almost immediately.

Donghyuck chuckled and passed him a water bottle. “This isn’t alcohol, I promise.” Mark took the water bottle and gratefully took a sip.

“My first weed,” he spoke in a strained voice.

Donghyuck smiled back at him. “Your first weed.”

“Ooh, is that your dab pen? Can I have a hit?” Jaemin asked.

“Sure,” Donghyuck responded, and Mark passed it over to him.

“Want this in exchange?” Jeno asked, holding up the now almost empty wine bottle. Donghyuck shook his head.

“When does it kick in?” Mark asked.

“Wait a few minutes,” Donghyuck responded, looking at Mark absentmindedly.

Jeno passed the dab pen back to Donghyuck once he and Jaemin had a hit (Renjun said he’d already had enough illicit substances), and Jisung immediately waved for it.

“Trade for the juul?” Jisung asked.

“You know I don’t smoke that . Real cigarettes only for me. Go big or go home,” Donghyuck responded.

“You barely even smoke cigs. Only when you’re really drunk,” Jaemin responded.

“Don’t act like you’re cool, Hyuck,” Jeno added.

“Shut up,” Donghyuck responded, but he was laughing. The sound of it made Mark smile.

“I’m ing whipped,” Mark mumbled under his breath.

“What?” Donghyuck asked.

Mark shook his head. “Nothing.” Donghyuck seemed satisfied for a moment before leaning in closer to Mark. His whole body froze stiff, his heart pounding in his chest as sweat seemed to seep out of every pore.

“Your eyes are in’ red,” Donghyuck mumbled, the simple phrase sounding so seductive from Donghyuck’s lips.

Words seemed to fail in the moment; and Mark wasn’t sure if it was from the nerves or the drugs. Mark simply nodded in response, and Donghyuck just smiled and backed away.

“, it’s starting to get dark,” Renjun said, staring up at the sky.

“Ugh, your parents are still strict?” Jaemin whined, and Renjun nodded.

“Yeah, they need me home before dark.”

“Are your parents strict too?” Donghyuck asked Mark. Mark scoffed and nodded.

“They’re worse than Renjun’s,” Mark responded.

“I’ve heard about Renjun’s parents, so I can’t imagine what yours are like.” Mark grimaced and nodded.

“Alright, we’ve gotta head home,” Renjun spoke, standing up and groaning. “, I’m kinda drunk,” he added.

“And I’m...high,” Mark said slowly, Renjun helping him stand.

“Chenle, let’s go,” Renjun called.

“Come on!” Chenle whined, looking up from Jisung’s sketchbook. “My parents don’t care.”

“But my parents do. And your parents call my parents if you’re not home, and then they’ll be mad at me for not looking after you,” Renjun responded.

“I’m not a ing baby,” Chenle grumbled, but stood up anyways.

“Well, bye guys!”

“Aw Renjunnie! This was lit as ,” Jaemin cheered, standing up to give Renjun a wobbly, tipsy hug.

“We’ve gotta hang out more,” Jeno added.

“It was nice meeting you all!”

“You too, Jaemin and Jeno and Donghyuck,” Chenle answered.

“B-bye guys,” Mark stuttered, giving Donghyuck a smile and a wave.

“Wait...can I have your number?” Donghyuck asked. Mark nodded, and Donghyuck stood up to add him. When he was done, Donghyuck sat back down and smiled at Mark.

“I’ll text you,” he said, and Mark grinned back.

“Cool,” he responded, holding back squeals of excitement.

“Stop staring at each other, you damn lovebirds. Mark has to get home,” Renjun spoke, tearing him away.

“Bye!” Chenle shouted back to the others as they walked out of the park.

A chorus of byes came from their new friends before they walked back to their bus stop.

“That was....eventful,” Mark spoke.

“For sure. I got drunk in a public park at four in the afternoon,” Renjun said.

“I inhaled enough second hand juul to give me a nicotine high,” Chenle added.

“And Donghyuck asked for my number!” Mark said, more excitedly than Chenle or Renjun had seen him in a long time.

“He was pretty cute,” Chenle spoke.

“Is our poor sad single Markiepoo going to finally get a boyfriend?” Renjun teased. Usually, Mark would’ve clapped back at Renjun, but his mind was too cloudy and there were way too many butterflies in his stomach.

“Maybe,” Mark responded in a dreamy tone. Renjun and Chenle groaned loudly.