99999

Summer of Some Regret

A/N: don't forget, black lives matter! go to blacklivesmatter.carrd.co for more information and things you can do to contribute to the movement. also, not sure if this needs a warning but, just in case warning for homophobic parents & homophobic language

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mark had to admit that this week of being Donghyuck's boyfriend was the best week of his entire life. It wasn't like they'd met up every day; they'd gone on a date or two and hung out with the rest of their group a few times. But to Mark, every little moment was special: every peck on the lips, every arm around his waist, every knowing smile, every blatant compliment, every midnight text, every phone call just to say how much he liked him. Mark had been craving this since he was in middle school and finally, he was getting the romance he'd always wanted, from someone he cared about so deeply. 

But Mark was especially excited about this day. Mark's parents both had to work late, and he was pretty tired from drinking with his friends the night before. So, he'd invited Donghyuck over to watch a movie. It wasn't like he was planning to have ; he definitely wasn't ready for it with anyone, even someone he trusted like Donghyuck. But he was open to doing other things, and he wanted to see where the afternoon took him. Donghyuck was freakishly handsome, after all, and the hardest kiss they'd had was the one right after Donghyuck's confession. 

Donghyuck had shown up early so Mark was still in his sweatpants, his hair sticking up in every direction. But Donghyuck was dressed pretty casually too, and had said Mark was cute as he kissed his cheek and flattened out his hair, so Mark couldn't be embarrassed in the slightest. 

After a very, very quick house tour (San Francisco apartments are tiny), the couple flopped onto Mark's bed. Mark opened his laptop and turned to Donghyuck. 

"What should we watch?" Mark asked. 

"I dunno, some ty action movie maybe?" 

"Don't you wanna watch something good?" 

Donghyuck gave Mark a deadpan stare. "You invited me over to watch a movie?" 

Mark flushed and opened his laptop, not responding to Donghyuck's rhetorical question. He did as Donghyuck told, picking a random action movie on netflix, and putting the laptop on his lap. He was still blushing as he crossed his arms, leaning against the wall behind his bed. Donghyuck snuggled in next to him, wrapping his arm around Mark's shoulders. Mark was suddenly afraid Donghyuck thought his embarrassment meant he didn't want to do...stuff, so he rested his head on Donghyuck's shoulder and gave him a little smile. 

Donghyuck looked back down at him and his expression turned from a bright smile to a darker grin. As the dialogue of the movie started, Donghyuck's tattooed fingers skittered over Mark's cheeks, leading him in for a deep kiss. 

Mark leaned in close, albeit still shy, and rested a hand on Donghyuck's shoulder and the other on his cheek. Donghyuck wrapped a hand around Mark's slim waist, clutching in a way that made Mark's brain turn to dust. 

Donghyuck tilted his head and Mark met him, both pressing in closer at the same time so their t-shirt clothed chests were touching. Mark could feel the muscles underneath Donghyuck's shirt and he felt an inexplicable spike in him. 

They both pulled away, panting, as Donghyuck looked Mark over. 

"I-I'm sorry if I'm not so good, I haven't done this stuff since I was a freshman," Mark explained nervously, briefly remembering his wild week at Cazadero band camp when he was fourteen. 

"You're good, baby. Trust me, you're good." Donghyuck's voice was way lower than usual, with a gravelly tone to it, and it made Mark want to kiss him again. So he did, pressing his lips to Donghyuck's plush ones, and Donghyuck made a noise that just sent him. 

Donghyuck's tongue pressed against Mark's lips and Mark let him in, blushing even with his eyes closed as he french kissed for the first time in years. Still, it was good. Donghyuck was so ing good, his mouth, his tongue, his lips, his hands, running up and down Mark's spine, it was...good. 

Donghyuck pulled away again and Mark was confused for a moment, but soon he felt Donghyuck's lips against his jaw line. His kisses were light but growing harsher as they moved to Mark's pale neck, on the skin. 

That elicited a whimper from Mark; he'd never done this at summer camp, and he could hear Donghyuck's breathing pick up from the noise. Mark clung to Donghyuck's shirt desperately, it felt too incredible to comprehend. 

Donghyuck clambered to kiss Mark on the lips again, no shyness prevalent anymore, Mark didn't have enough time to be embarrassed about his lack of experience. But his neck was starting to ache from the position, and Mark assumed Donghyuck's was too because soon enough, a hand trailed up his thigh. It was almost too close for comfort but Mark liked it that way, and when Donghyuck sat up, pulling Mark's leg over his lap, Mark did nothing to resist. 

Mark straddled Donghyuck, his arms around Donghyuck's neck, his skin flushed as Donghyuck kissed him. His lips were slow and languid, almost lazy, but there was a fire and passion in them that proved to Mark that he cared. Their tongues slid together and Mark felt (even though his brain was too fuzzy to explain exactly what he was feeling in that moment). 

"So perfect," Donghyuck mumbled against Mark's lips, kissing the side of his neck again. Mark could only mewl and recapture his lover's lips. 

But as the creaking of his door suddenly filled Mark's ears, all the positive emotions he felt disappeared. As he scrambled away from Donghyuck he could only feel anxiety, sadness, and a petrifying fear that took over his entire body. Mark looked up to see his mother, wearing a confused yet stony expression on her face. 

She was silent, dropping her groceries to the ground. Mark trembled in place; Donghyuck had never seen him so afraid, and he didn't know what to do. 

He looked back and forth at them before breaking the horrified silence. "Uh, hi, um, I'm Donghyuck, I'm--"

"Get out," his mother growled. Mark looked panicked at Donghyuck now, and Donghyuck didn't know what to do, he didn't know whether his expression meant stay or go. "Get out or when Mark's father gets home he beats your ." 

Donghyuck bit back a gasp. Mark had never talked about his family, only that they were strict, but Donghyuck had thought that if they were abusive Renjun or Mark would have told him. 

Mark made the smallest gesture with his head. Go, it meant, and with wide eyes Donghyuck grabbed his backpack and left the house. 

Donghyuck was terrified now; he didn't want to leave Mark alone there; he didn't know what his parents were capable of. So he crossed the street and sat down on Mark's neighbor's stoop, taking out his phone with his own trembling hands (just in case he needed to call the police). Even so far away, Donghyuck could hear the screaming conversation from inside Mark's home. 

"What were you doing with that boy?" Mark's mother screamed. "You're not a are you?" Donghyuck winced and tried to listen for Mark's response, but he couldn't hear it. 

"Who is he?" 

Donghyuck listened, but again he couldn't hear Mark's response. 

"What did you just say?" 

"He's my boyfriend, mom!" Mark finally yelled back. 

"You're disgusting!" Mark's mother screamed over him. Donghyuck couldn't hear what she said next. 

"We weren't having , I swear!" Mark yelled back, and Donghyuck could hear the tears in his voice. 

"So this is what you've been doing all summer, running around and making a fool out of yourself, disrespecting the rules we made to keep you safe!" 

"No! It's not like that, it's-"

"Just wait until your father hears about this!" 

Donghyuck heard the noise of a door slamming and unintelligible screaming from Mark's mother. 

"Mark Lee just where do you think you're going-" 

Suddenly, Mark appeared from his doorway and slammed the door shut. He was carrying a duffel bag and his face was streaked with tears. He looked more broken than Donghyuck had ever wanted to see him. 

But a look of hope crossed his face when he saw Donghyuck waiting for him, running across the street without looking either way, and capturing him in a massive hug. 

Donghyuck swallowed down his own upset tears, on behalf of his boyfriend, and let him cry into his chest. 

"Wh-what are you doing here?" Mark asked, not out of annoyance. 

"When I saw how upset your mom was, I didn't want to leave you alone. I wanted to make sure you'd be okay," Donghyuck mumbled soothingly into Mark's ear. "Did she hurt you?" 

Mark shook his head and Donghyuck petted his boyfriend's hair gently. "If you need to, you can spend the night you know. My parents won't mind; they'll understand." 

"Th-thank you," Mark stuttered. "I-I'm sorry you have to see me like this." 

"Baby, no. Don't you dare blame yourself," Donghyuck said softly. 

"C-can we walk?" Mark asked. Donghyuck nodded and picked up Mark's surprisingly heavy bag, taking his hand and walking down the street towards Donghyuck's bus stop. Mark gripped his hands tightly, as if he'd die if he let go. 

Donghyuck let Mark sniffle for a few moments to calm down, keeping silent. "Did she not know about me?" 

"I'm not out," Mark responded in a croaky voice. "I mean, I-I wasn't." This brought on a new wave of tears, rubbing them away with his soft hand, and Donghyuck felt his heart break. 

They reached the stop and Donghyuck sat down on the bench, pulling Mark across his lap. Mark laid down with his head on Donghyuck's shoulder, looking up at him with red rimmed, watery eyes. Donghyuck pet his hair and Mark relaxed every so slightly at his gentle touch. 

The sky turned dark and the two of them just laid there, the bus to Donghyuck's house severely delayed. But Donghyuck didn't mind, he knew Mark needed lots of time to calm down, and anyways the stop was entirely empty so they had their privacy. 

"I'll always be here for you," Donghyuck mumbled after a long while. "I promise. No matter what happens, I'm here to support you." 

"Thank you," Mark responded in the smallest voice, kissing the tattooed hand that was petting his hair. Donghyuck bent down to give him a quick kiss, but as he pulled away Mark's phone began to ring. The caller ID says it was Mark's mom, and Donghyuck didn't know how to feel. 

"H-hello?" Mark asked, biting his lip and trying to hold back from crying. 

"Are you alright? P-please say you're alright," Donghyuck heard her sob through the tinny speaker. 

"Yeah, I'm alright," Mark answered. 

"I'm so sorry," she choked out, to Donghyuck's surprise. "I don't know what got into me, I'm so sorry, I....c-can you come home? I think we should talk about this." 

"A-alright," Mark stuttered. "I'll be home in a few minutes." 

"I'm sorry," she repeated. 

"I'll see you soon," Mark responded, and hung up. He looked at Donghyuck nervously. 

"Will you be okay?" Donghyuck asked. 

Mark nodded. "I know deep down my parents are good people. They wouldn't hurt me." 

"I'll text you my address just in case," Donghyuck responded. He finished and Mark hugged him tightly. 

"Thank you. For everything," Mark mumbled into his shoulder. 

"Let me know once everything's said and done. Please call me, okay? I'll be up all night if you don't." 

"Of course," Mark said quietly, taking the duffel bag and swinging it over his shoulder. 

"Do you want me to walk you?" 

Mark shook his head. "I think it'd be best if I went alone." 

Donghyuck nodded in understanding, tucking a lock of Mark's hair behind his ear before pecking his lips. "Stay safe baby. Call me as soon as possible." 

"I will, I promise." Mark waved goodbye and started walking back towards his house, and Donghyuck knew he couldn't do anything but wait for his phone to ring.